Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loanarn
May 28, 2004

This is why I beat hookers.

Sgt. at Arms

Midjack posted:

If I had any mechanical acumen or even a place to work on it I would do this. I wanted one of these.

Don't let that stop you. I bought a 1992 Nissan Skyline GTR and it's been the best purchase I've ever made. My dad told me the last time that we talked that both he and my mom were worried about me buying some weird RHD car from Japan they had never heard of but it's changed my life so much for the better that it would have been the right choice at $1M.

Obviously that's not going to be the same for everyone but gat drat I love my skyline. I smile every time I see it.

Crossposting a pic of the skyline after Lord of Garbagemen did all the work while I watched him put on my new front lip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Frank Dux posted:

Here's more pics of the car at the port in Japan.

Yep, def a Revision 2 car, dunno what those red lines are going from the turbo to the intake mani tho. Shame because the rev3 cars have a revised motor with better engine management, different turbo, head, metal hg and bigger injectors.

Still it looks pretty clean anyway I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

:negative:

In my defense I refuse to admit I've made a mistake.

TBH a twin cam 2L V6 would be pretty boss.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Chris Knight posted:

TBH a twin cam 2L V6 would be pretty boss.

Thank god we have Automation now so we can see how our weird 90's engine fetishes turn out in real life computer generated markets

Kafouille
Nov 5, 2004

Think Fast !
But those exist, the Mazda K engine. Just need to find a Lantis Type-R to import, those started in 1993.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Rover KV6 was available in a 2.0 too. They used those as the basis for the MG BTCC engines.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

track day bro! posted:

Yep, def a Revision 2 car, dunno what those red lines are going from the turbo to the intake mani tho. Shame because the rev3 cars have a revised motor with better engine management, different turbo, head, metal hg and bigger injectors.

My guess is a boost controller of some variant.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

KakerMix posted:

Of course we all want to see more pics, the higher the rest the better. If you don't already have the port pictures then chances are those will be the best ones you'll get before you get your hands on the car.

Hey: Who wants to go on a 5 minute ride in the AZ-1?????

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0tqoo4JIXw

*bov noise*

Wait... you're not a T-rex?

I want an AZ-1 now.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Darchangel posted:

Wait... you're not a T-rex?

I want an AZ-1 now.

Have more length in your torso than your legs and you can get fairly tall people in there. I'm average for proportions go so your mileage may vary.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.
Not sure that I'm ready to buy quite yet, but how good/bad of a deal does this Surf seem? I posted a month or two ago - basically looking to buy something I could daily for the next two or so years, take on a big trip around Australia, then ship back to Colorado when I move and sell eventually.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingston/cars-vans-utes/1994-toyota-hilux-surf-ssr-x-3-0-limited-manual-4wd/1190593970

US$5500 for a '94 Hilux Surf SSR-X (3L turbo diesel, 5spd) with 220,000kms, looks to have been very well looked after.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Not sure that I'm ready to buy quite yet, but how good/bad of a deal does this Surf seem? I posted a month or two ago - basically looking to buy something I could daily for the next two or so years, take on a big trip around Australia, then ship back to Colorado when I move and sell eventually.

https://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/kingston/cars-vans-utes/1994-toyota-hilux-surf-ssr-x-3-0-limited-manual-4wd/1190593970

US$5500 for a '94 Hilux Surf SSR-X (3L turbo diesel, 5spd) with 220,000kms, looks to have been very well looked after.

On my phone it's saying that ad you've linked is to a sold vehicle.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

On my phone it's saying that ad you've linked is to a sold vehicle.

Lol, it wasn't this morning, but now reporting sold! It looked to be in 'babied JDM garage-queen' condition. Still have the tab open:

quote:

I am reluctantly selling my 1994 Toyota Hilux Surf with the 1KZ-TE 3 litre turbo diesel.

I have owned this vehicle for the past 10 years and in that time it has never been offroad. It is in original condition with excellent bodywork and immaculate paintwork and interior.

The vehicle has always been well maintained being serviced every 5000K'S.

Below is a brief summary of work carried out and some of its features:

. Fuel injector pump and injectors fully reconditioned at a cost of $3000.

. Dual battery system (new batteries fitted 2 years ago).

. Timing belt fitted at 200,000K'S.

. K&N air filter (just serviced).

. Registered until 13 January 2019.

. Alpine stereo system fitted.

. Alarm/Immobiliser and central locking.

. Electric sunroof, mirrors and tailgate glass.

. Cibie driving lights.

. Hayman Reese tow pack.

. Rear cargo blind and rubber mat.

. Rhino roof racks.

Realistically I probably wouldn't be looking for another month or two, have an upcoming trip to NZ I'm not sure on the budget for yet.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Jul 28, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
That wouldn’t have been a bad deal on the Surf.

My Majesta arrives at port August 4th

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Anyone have experience importing a car from Japan to Canada? I just learned about the Kei car market and holy poo poo do I want a Honda N Box. But a lot of the information in the (very detailed) OP only applies to the U.S. I'm willing to navigate the circumfuckery of Canadian import laws if it means that I can get an awesome, street-legal Kei car.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Jul 30, 2018

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

melon cat posted:

Anyone have experience importing a car from Japan to Canada? I just learned about the Kei car market and holy poo poo do I want a Honda N Box. But a lot of the information in the (very detailed) OP only applies to the U.S. I'm willing to navigate the circumfuckery of Canadian import laws if it means that I can get an awesome, street-legal Kei car.

I don't think any of the N-Boxes are 15 years old yet. We're 15 years, the US is 25 years.

There are some exemptions, but I think it's only if you are a resident of Japan visiting here and bringing your own car.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

melon cat posted:

You gotta wait 15 years as was already said, but the process of getting the car to a port in Canada is exactly the same as it is for the USA. For making it legal in your providence though, that's on you. I imagine it goes by Canadian level rules for JDM legality, then on to whatever your providence requires, and maybe even your city.

Buying a car though is exactly the same, Japan doesn't give a hot poo poo about where a car is going, it all gets shipped with the same stuff. It's the making-it-legal-where-you-live part that's going to be different for Canada.

Peep my hideous rusty floor repair :toot:

It's completely sealed now and it took 4 days, prep being (like always) the biggest timesink. Once that was done I'd go out every 2-3 hours or so and wipe another coat on. It's under the carpet and floor mats so it doesn't really matter that it's so ugly, but the important part is it isn't rusting anymore.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jul 30, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
JCD messaged me tonight like “you got all your stuff from the car in the mail the car going to be there a few days?” And I’m like uh no? I mean I haven’t done anything wrong why is this so out of whack?

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

everdave posted:

JCD messaged me tonight like “you got all your stuff from the car in the mail the car going to be there a few days?” And I’m like uh no? I mean I haven’t done anything wrong why is this so out of whack?

Well it is a Monday afternoon for them. You will probably get it tommorow.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Saw this Mazda with a "Field Runner" decal, forgot what the model was so now I can't look it up. Anybody know? It did say 4wd.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Well it is a Monday afternoon for them. You will probably get it tommorow.

New message says do not contact customs or a broker for any reason contact JCD lol I have no idea what is going on I better sell this car for $15k at this point I don’t even care. I am not making this stuff up

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Charles posted:

Saw this Mazda with a "Field Runner" decal, forgot what the model was so now I can't look it up. Anybody know? It did say 4wd.

Third generation Mazda Bongo (or E-Series) van:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Bongo#Third_generation_(1983–1999)

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

You Am I posted:

Third generation Mazda Bongo (or E-Series) van:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mazda_Bongo#Third_generation_(1983–1999)

Oh it is a Bongo. For some reason I thought it said something else. I was in a hurry to meet a friend or I would have looked more.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

melon cat posted:

I've imported to Canada. As KakerMix says you'll need to wait 15 years, so set a timer for yourself to pick up an NBox in 2026. Personally the relatively new car I'm waiting to import is the Suzuki Hustler and I'll be waiting until 2029. :negative:

JCD has some good info about importing to Canada on their webpage. https://www.japancardirect.com/destinations/canada/

A significant think I'd check in on is Out of Province (OOP) inspection rules and the specific rules for your Province. Provincial licensing rules will either increase costs or straight up make things impossible. I think I read that Quebec and maybe PEI straight up will not license RHD, though I could def be wrong on this or this could be old info (I'm in BC).

For example BC OOP rules state that you need to replace the lights with NA lights, which depending on the car could be costly or difficult. I made a bigger post earlier in the thread about my history working through this.

For a Delica for example you can try to source LHD Taiwanese Delica lights ($$$), but with other cars it may be impossible to find something that works. I'm now in the habit of checking RHD car lights to see if they conform to code or if they somehow managed to sneak through OOP with no changes. I'm seeing a fair bit of the latter but not worth relying on!

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Is there a way to import Taiwanese LHD delicas? :allears:

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Is there a way to import Taiwanese LHD delicas? :allears:

Sure thing, the import process to the USA would be exactly the same in that you'd need all the same paperwork and it would delivered to a port just like normal etc etc, but as far as finding and buying a Taiwanese Delica who the heck knows. Japan is easy mode since they have so many used cars to get rid of, doing it in a country that doesn't have a sophisticated mechanism for doing it might be a challenge. Unless you know someone/have family in Taiwan.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Great question. That would certainly make things easier. There are like four Delica importers in Metro Vancouver alone so you’d think if there was a profitable way to do it then they would have figured it out by now.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Note that Thailand gets a bunch of super cool tiny cars in RHD. I'm eyeing tiny pick ups...

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Femtosecond posted:

I've imported to Canada. As KakerMix says you'll need to wait 15 years, so set a timer for yourself to pick up an NBox in 2026. Personally the relatively new car I'm waiting to import is the Suzuki Hustler and I'll be waiting until 2029. :negative:

JCD has some good info about importing to Canada on their webpage. https://www.japancardirect.com/destinations/canada/

A significant think I'd check in on is Out of Province (OOP) inspection rules and the specific rules for your Province. Provincial licensing rules will either increase costs or straight up make things impossible. I think I read that Quebec and maybe PEI straight up will not license RHD, though I could def be wrong on this or this could be old info (I'm in BC).

For example BC OOP rules state that you need to replace the lights with NA lights, which depending on the car could be costly or difficult. I made a bigger post earlier in the thread about my history working through this.

Thanks to everyone for the helpful Canadian info. So 15 years, huh. And I live in Ontario where RHD vehicles are legal, but it's also my understanding that it could be difficult/expensive to insure a RHD in this dumb province. Also, any interesting stories on how easy/difficult it is to get replacement car parts for kei cars? Does it make it any easier if you get a popular North American brand (Honda, Toyota)?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

melon cat posted:

Thanks to everyone for the helpful Canadian info. So 15 years, huh. And I live in Ontario where RHD vehicles are legal, but it's also my understanding that it could be difficult/expensive to insure a RHD in this dumb province. Also, any interesting stories on how easy/difficult it is to get replacement car parts for kei cars? Does it make it any easier if you get a popular North American brand (Honda, Toyota)?

Getting parts is piss-easy and not at all difficult from the standpoint of 'oh gee was never sold here in North America oh nooooo'
The only difficulty you will have is if you are driving something a bit rarer without an enthusiast community around it. Things like consumables usually have some sort of equivalent here, Honda's kei vans from the 90s use motorcycle air filters and modern civic oil filters. The AZ-1 uses generic FRAM fuel filters and Miata oil filters. Things are going to cost more if you have to get it from overseas but actually getting it isn't a big deal at all.

In the OP:

KakerMix posted:

What About Parts?
It isn't as bad as you'd think. You pay for shipping of course, and have to be patient because of shipping times. These are the main resources I use to locate parts.

http://partsfan.com/
Has a whole shitload of part lists with included diagrams that are extremely helpful. You don't buy parts from here, you simply locate the part and it's part number using this and buy elsewhere.

http://jp-carparts.com/
Another find-parts-with-pictures site but this one you can actually order parts from. I normally don't order parts from here but the option exists.

https://www.megazip.net/zapchasti-dlya-avtomobilej
And another site that has a bunch of diagrams for vehicles with included part numbers. Also sells parts directly.

https://www.amayama.com/en
This is where I buy all my parts if I'm able, the prices can't be beat and everything I've ordered for my Acty has been genuine OEM replacements. Find the part you need with the above sites, pop in the number in amayama. Go through the order process and relish in your cool OEM Japanese parts.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

KakerMix posted:

Sure thing, the import process to the USA would be exactly the same in that you'd need all the same paperwork and it would delivered to a port just like normal etc etc, but as far as finding and buying a Taiwanese Delica who the heck knows. Japan is easy mode since they have so many used cars to get rid of, doing it in a country that doesn't have a sophisticated mechanism for doing it might be a challenge. Unless you know someone/have family in Taiwan.

I actually do have relatives in Kaohsiung which, as a port city, should make things more convenient. However, a lot of the Delicas I spotted were in fairly rough shape from the outside probably because most of the ones roaming around are work vehicles.

Also, my Mandarin is spotty enough as it is and my relatives' English is about as poor so it'll be a challenge to convey what I want to do with these cars and why. I probably could have used the opportunity to bring it up when I was over in Taiwan for a week last month but at least there is always LINE.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Edward IV posted:

I actually do have relatives in Kaohsiung which, as a port city, should make things more convenient. However, a lot of the Delicas I spotted were in fairly rough shape from the outside probably because most of the ones roaming around are work vehicles.

Also, my Mandarin is spotty enough as it is and my relatives' English is about as poor so it'll be a challenge to convey what I want to do with these cars and why. I probably could have used the opportunity to bring it up when I was over in Taiwan for a week last month but at least there is always LINE.

True, and you lose out on the robust inspection system and benefit of pristine examples re: JAY DEE EM
Is there a reason why you are after a LHD version? As any one of us driving a RHD car right now can tell you it can't be overstated how much of a non-issue it is. Unless you need to use drive-thrus all the time.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any of you guys in Seattle? Spotted a nice Pajero getting a car wash.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Femtosecond posted:

Personally the relatively new car I'm waiting to import is the Suzuki Hustler and I'll be waiting until 2029. :negative:

I had one as a rental in Japan a few years ago, TBH it was your typical yawn-inducing kei car experience. Cute though.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I had one as a rental in Japan a few years ago, TBH it was your typical yawn-inducing kei car experience. Cute though.

Doh!

Yeah 100% of my interest was based on its cute looks.

I had heard they were surprisingly popular so I thought maybe there was a good chance they were a bit more compelling to drive than other kei cars. Oh well.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Femtosecond posted:

Doh!

Yeah 100% of my interest was based on its cute looks.

I had heard they were surprisingly popular so I thought maybe there was a good chance they were a bit more compelling to drive than other kei cars. Oh well.

I was last in Japan when the model was fairly new and looked at them at a dealership (with extremely confused, non-English-speaking salesman in tow). They have some really cool options - tents, other camping gear, surfboard holder - but I would be surprised if they were good to drive.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
That tire cover and bumper that was missing from the Jimny has been settled. The port in Japan has taken responsibility while also finding the tire cover. They can't find the bumper and so are going to purchase one (using the chassis code) and send that along with the tire cover at their expense.
The port neglected to inventory the items as they received them and that's why they took responsibility. Nothing to do with Japan Car Direct, nothing to do with United States port. :toot:

Completed the rust repair on the AZ-1, now it's completely and 100% sealed from inside and out. POR15 is good stuff. Tomorrow I'm going to fix the clutch cylinder in the Pajero.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Brilliant outcome.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

I'm really happy to hear this and glad that JCD had nothing to do with it and that the port accepted responsibility. Now we just need to find out how many kilos of drugs are hiding in everdave's vehicle.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat

Riller posted:

I'm really happy to hear this and glad that JCD had nothing to do with it and that the port accepted responsibility. Now we just need to find out how many kilos of drugs are hiding in everdave's vehicle.

everjohndelorean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

My Delica is finally licensed and legal to drive in BC (thank you lights from some Netherlands Delica). :toot:

When I went to the insurance broker the person there was clearly relatively new to the job, and it's clear that this sort of task is wildly out of the normal for them. I had every form I needed and it still took like an hour and a half lol.

I'm probably going to replace the timing belt and water belt since it's near that 100k mileage and doing that in northern BC is not going to be quite so easy.

Time to buy a new JDM car! Maybe a Jimny?