Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alternatively, it could provoke them to pull the offer and you risk ending up with nothing.

If the offer on the table is acceptable then just accept the job and, if you get a better offer next week, take it. Don't feel guilty. They'd fire you instantly if they thought it profitable or they suddenly need to give your position to the COO's niece-in-law.

IMO.

Oh Ive learned my lesson on loyalty and feeling bad in this poo poo rear end system we have. Thanks for the info!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

90% of the time that question is a test to make sure you know what you're expected to say and willing to say it with a straight face. The correct answer, as you probably already know, is "I care too much and work too hard and get really invested in what I'm doing and obsess over details."

I have an acquaintance who swears he has always refused to acknowledge a weakness, instead going with "I don't believe I have a relevant weakness, anytime I discover an area for personal improvement I attack it like a bulldog and learn voraciously." According to him the interviewer will press him upwards of three or four times and he'll just dig in and reword what he already said. He's well into a successful career but he has a fair amount of personal charisma and I suspect that would be a requirement to get away with that.
The What's your biggest weakness is such a garbage question if for no other reason than people are absolutely prepared to lie about it. It's a huge sign of a poor interviewer.

That being said, this is profoundly terrible advice. A reasonable person is just going to think "bullshit" and your goal in interviewing should be getting hired by a reasonable boss. Just say anything that is a weakness but not a deal-breaker and you'll be fine.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Is this a bad time to point out that most interviewers are poor interviewers and if you're interviewing at a megacorp they absolutely want you to recite the script?

I may have confused this for the Corporate America thread but at a megacorp the purpose of that and other common-but-useless questions is to weed out people who would be out of their depth trying to survive at a giant conglomerate.

e: or did you mean the refusing to acknowledge a weakness? Yes I would not recommend doing that.

e2: I agree that your goal should be to land a GOOD job with a reasonable boss, but sometimes a person has a more immediate goal to be employed so as to not be bankrupt and thus has to go to a megacorp and recite the script.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jul 23, 2018

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Eric the Mauve posted:

Is this a bad time to point out that most interviewers are poor interviewers and if you're interviewing at a megacorp they absolutely want you to recite the script?

I may have confused this for the Corporate America thread but at a megacorp the purpose of that and other common-but-useless questions is to weed out people who would be out of their depth trying to survive at a giant conglomerate.

e: or did you mean the refusing to acknowledge a weakness? Yes I would not recommend doing that.

e2: I agree that your goal should be to land a GOOD job with a reasonable boss, but sometimes a person has a more immediate goal to be employed so as to not be bankrupt and thus has to go to a megacorp and recite the script.
You seem rather cynical. And while that is another viewpoint to add to this thread, I think it accurately describes a rather small corner of the jobs market. Such sentiment shouldn't be applied as blanket statements for all jobs, postings, and hiring decisions.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Alternatively, it could provoke them to pull the offer and you risk ending up with nothing.

If the offer on the table is acceptable then just accept the job and, if you get a better offer next week, take it. Don't feel guilty. They'd fire you instantly if they thought it profitable or they suddenly need to give your position to the COO's niece-in-law.

IMO.

If someone had an offer ready why would knowing the candidate is interviewing elsewhere cause them to pull the offer? The idea on saying you are interviewing is to create a sense of urgency, and you have the wiggle room to risk someone pulling away if they couldn't hire in the near future anyway. Ideally, this would get you an offer sooner rather than having to try to fit interviews into the first few weeks of employment.

You are 100% correct that you should take a better offer if it comes, even if you just started somewhere else.

Eric the Mauve posted:

This is very bad advice. As someone who has been a hiring manager at both large public corporations as well at smaller private companies the goal is usually the same. Once you are past HR, even at a huge company you are probably being interviewed to join a smallish team (20 or less) and thus your being measured against skills and fit on that team. I have absolutely passed on candidates who were obviously trying to follow some rote script they learned by googling "How to get hired".

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Covok posted:

Also, people like me. Where it sounds great on paper ("head accountant of an office of a multinational firm") but really isn't ("1 employee, few benefits, pay and work/life balance is average at best.")

Remember, its a networking site so you only see what either looks good or is made to look good. You don't see the garbage underneath.

Yeah I'm not interested in their accomplishments.

But it's: then [position I want], now [position I want, senior].

I still haven't gotten to the first rung.

A lot of people from my grad school have accomplished that, even some people who graduated after me. I was/am dumb and didn't maximize my grad school opportunities enough and now I'll never get to where I want to be RIP

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

If I ever get another interview again, my answer to the biggest weakness question would be:

My anxiety. I worry about the quality of my work, so I can be a bit of a perfectionist, thus spending more time on a project than necessary. I like to get a lot of feedback on my work as I go to make sure I'm headed in a good direction. It also helps me know when a project is done and I can stop fussing over it.

At the same time, my anxiety makes me eager to please. I feel absolutely awful if I think I have upset or disappointed anyone, so I work hard to make deadlines and produce the best work I can.

It may seem like a bit of a copout "my weakness is actually my strength" thing, but it's actually all true.

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back
I've heard the best thing to answer is a weakness that doesn't substantially affect your job performance in that role and follow it up with how you are working to improve it.

The one that I use is "I tend to get overwhelmed when I take on too many tasks at once but I've learned that if I make a list of things I need to accomplish I am better able to manage them."

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you
Sometimes I work so hard that I forget to cash my paycheck!

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

I just got hired as a community manager for a small social media agency, and their onboarding paperwork included a non-compete that bars be from working in social media in my state for two years after leaving them.

I signed it because I don't know if I'll be staying in the state or if I want to be in that industry long term, but that seems BRUTAL.

Is this kind of thing standard, or weird? Do I need to worry about them invoking it I try to move on to another company in the next few years? Should I ask to rework it when I go in tomorrow morning? I'm not hopefully but they're chill enough that it might be worth a shot.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

You should ask a lawyer if you’re really interested but a noncompete that broad probably isn’t enforceable.

You should have laughed and refused to sign it, though.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Unsinkabear posted:

I just got hired as a community manager for a small social media agency, and their onboarding paperwork included a non-compete that bars be from working in social media in my state for two years after leaving them.

I signed it because I don't know if I'll be staying in the state or if I want to be in that industry long term, but that seems BRUTAL.

Is this kind of thing standard, or weird? Do I need to worry about them invoking it I try to move on to another company in the next few years? Should I ask to rework it when I go in tomorrow morning? I'm not hopefully but they're chill enough that it might be worth a shot.

My man, I have some bad news about contracts.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Eric the Mauve posted:

You should ask a lawyer if you’re really interested but a noncompete that broad probably isn’t enforceable.

You should have laughed and refused to sign it, though.

Basically. If it were me I'd just kinda ignore it but you'd need to talk to a lawyer if you wanted a real answer. I've never seen a non-compete's enforced in situations where you aren't cultivating a client-base and then only sometimes and then only in direct-competitor situations. If you were to move on to a social media manager position in another company I don't think anyone would care unless it was a direct competitor, and even then I don't think it would be enforceable.

I'm not a lawyer though so this is just guesswork.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Unsinkabear posted:

look it's unenforceable but you don't get to just say "wait i take it back" after you sign a contract, come on

Unsinkabear
Jun 8, 2013

Ensign, raise the beariscope.

Well you all posted too late. I mentioned that I was uncomfortable with the fact that I'm basically guaranteed to violate the agreement by having any other job ever in both this or my old field, and they're considering compromises. Hopefully whatever alternative they put forward is equally unenforceable and I didn't screw myself by not just staying quiet

Unsinkabear fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Jul 25, 2018

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Are there any people around here that can take a look at a technical resume and tell me why mine sucks? I found a job I really want to apply to (25 minute less commute, $15k+ immediate pay bump according to Glassdoor, office with stocked kitchen, WFH options, flex hours, and working with technology that is currently a ticket to write your own paycheck after a year or two), and I really don't want to gently caress it up.

I'm asking the same thing in the IT threads, but I figure this is a thread for it too.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there any people around here that can take a look at a technical resume and tell me why mine sucks? I found a job I really want to apply to (25 minute less commute, $15k+ immediate pay bump according to Glassdoor, office with stocked kitchen, WFH options, flex hours, and working with technology that is currently a ticket to write your own paycheck after a year or two), and I really don't want to gently caress it up.

I'm asking the same thing in the IT threads, but I figure this is a thread for it too.

I've been a hiring manager at software companies for 10+ years. PM me your resume, I can take a look and give some feedback. If you can send me the job posting too I can also suggest what I think they are digging for.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Lockback posted:

I've been a hiring manager at software companies for 10+ years. PM me your resume, I can take a look and give some feedback. If you can send me the job posting too I can also suggest what I think they are digging for.

poo poo man, any chance you could do mine too? I'll even pay you.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Hi thread. I am helping a former employee with her resume. One noteworthy thing about her is that we adjusted her pay in an unusual way, twice. First time, we gave her an 8% raise during her performance review, when the max was supposed to be 3% that year. Second time we just pulled her aside and said "you are doing good work and we can justify bumping up your pay".

Both of these things were totally unprecedented in the company (i was shocked we got away with it). What's a good way for her to tactfully bring these things up on a resume?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

BigDave posted:

poo poo man, any chance you could do mine too? I'll even pay you.

Go for it, no payment necessary. I won't rewrite stuff (and my resume isn't super great anyway) but I can tell you what I think is missing/unnecessary. I do a lot of recruiting for other groups when the managers are bad at it, so I've gotten pretty good at translating between HR speak and Technical Manager speak.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Hi thread. I am helping a former employee with her resume. One noteworthy thing about her is that we adjusted her pay in an unusual way, twice. First time, we gave her an 8% raise during her performance review, when the max was supposed to be 3% that year. Second time we just pulled her aside and said "you are doing good work and we can justify bumping up your pay".

Both of these things were totally unprecedented in the company (i was shocked we got away with it). What's a good way for her to tactfully bring these things up on a resume?
Don't bring up pay raises on a resume. Bring up the stuff that merited the pay raise instead.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Could be like:

Did x that had y effect earning recognition as the top <role> of the quarter/year/whatever

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Xguard86 posted:

Could be like:

Did x that had y effect earning recognition as the top <role> of the quarter/year/whatever

Yeah, this is the best way. You could say "Had escalating set of responsibilities and value was recognized" but I'd probably ignore it honestly.

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug
Dang, I was hoping she could use that. She will be using me as a reference, would it be appropriate for me to say something if they call?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I have a job interview next week

wish me luck boys

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

WHY BONER NOW posted:

Dang, I was hoping she could use that. She will be using me as a reference, would it be appropriate for me to say something if they call?
You can say whatever. But describing why she deserved the increases will be more impactful than talking about the raises.

I mean, my first thought was, "She's going to expect two substantial pay raises in the first year." and not, "She must be amazing to get two pay raises."

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

areyoucontagious posted:

Comic sans instead?

But seriously, what fonts are hot? Also is there a life science resume thread? Paging Sundae, comments? Or, you know, job opportunities for a mediocre scientist with little to no work ethic?

Sorry I am late to this but how did you get on with the applications? I'm in clinical biopharma and could have a look at your current CV in more detail if you repost.

The problem you are going to find is that while you have a lot of experience it is not that useful directly for MSL or clinical work. If you think about the roles, especially for MSL it's going in to speak with senior doctors and discussing how to use the treatment you are responsible for. Critically you need to be able to speak their language in the disease area. For you it is clearly microbiology and I would recommend looking at smaller companies that make clinical products in that area.

The same goes for clinical development where you need to convince them that your scientific experience is worthwhile compensation for having to wait for you to learn the ropes of drug development, and an unfortunate aspect in clinical is that pharma companies expect people to go through the CRA -> CTA -> CTM route so there is internal competition for the jobs. I doubt you will want to spend much time as a CRA and leapfrogging over those positions in an established career structure is of course more difficult, and a PhD is not just going to open a door to any of these jobs.

In terms of your CV you need to try and adapt it to better demonstrate the skills needed for the job you're applying for. It is currently very self-focused. Get a job description for a MSL or whatever and think about how you can show experience for all the points they are asking for.

I have gone through the same process switching from an academic clinical career to industry and it took quite a long time (applying for clinical and MSL jobs) before I landed one, and from there my current job. I have to say both jobs have been really awesome and completely worth it, it will probably take time and effort for you to find somewhere but worth it in the end.

Krispy Wafer posted:

Shorts are never okay unless it’s a company picnic.

It's taken quite a mental adjustment that colleagues just get into shorts and bikinis and get in the lake here after work. I feel a long way from Oxfordshire.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Covok posted:

Well the plan is I'm going to go in and just do my job until at least the end of August and then see what happens. I had a very long talk with my family and I feel a lot better, but I am starting to feel anxious now.

Maybe everything will be just fine. I just hate how this all reminds me of how it felt being bullied in elementary and middle school.

Maybe everything goes well. Maybe she'll quit because she or he doesn't like how we downsized and there's only one bookkeeper. Because I can't get another one and I don't think she wants to work at that level at her age but I can't do anything about that. So maybe she'll just quit. Maybe I just learn to deal with it.

But anyway, thank you. You're being a great help. Of course the plan is not to do anything unless I have another job lined up. I also have the worry that my boss is assistant told me that if the transition doesn't go well and we don't make enough money they might just cut the entire division so I have a lot of reasons to be worried. But you are being a big help by showing me the other perspective.

I'll just make a update on this because things have actually gone pretty well.

My boss had a meeting at corporate headquarters at the beginning of the week. While she was there, all the other managers told her that she really has to step up on this issue when she told the other managers about it over lunch. Apparently, according to the assistant, the other managers were shocked that she wasn't doing anything and said that she needed to toughen up and deal with it. They actually made jokes about the problem employee. They called the problem employee a baby and said that the problem employee should be put in timeout because the problem employee was acting like a baby. And kept saying that this behavior was unacceptable.

During the same week, the founder of the company decided to use our office for some of his work. My boss is actually an old friend of the founder. She literally said that she doesn't like managing and asked him to do the meeting for her because he's very good at talking to people.

So the founder of the company, this multi-national company, spoke to the problem employee for us. Since then she is acted a lot nicer, has not raised her voice or acted rude in any way, and is finally being nice. And, in turn, I've continue to act very nice and respectful to her. Because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

But, yeah, they actually finally did step up and did something about it. I'm kind of surprised they got the founder of this Corporation to finally do the talk, even if it was just a matter of convenience.

But, yeah, having the founder tell her to stop being a jerk made it really sink in with her that this was serious and she's finally adjusted her behavior.

I also think she did not know that I was her boss. And I say that because, before I ever go out to buy lunch, I always ask anyone if they want anything. When I did that, I actually walked in on a conversation where she was telling my bosses assitant that she also had experience and asked if my boss knew that. It sounded a lot like someone kind of desperate and trying to say that she could be the manager, as if she finally just learned that she wasn't going to be the new manager.

And boy am I glad that she both learned this and is not the new manager. After all, if she thought this behavior was acceptable because she was in a position of power, then she is not the type of person who should have power because she abuses it immediately. Treating your co-workers and employees with respect should be a given. Being the boss is not an excuse to be a jerk and if you think that is then you don't deserve to be the boss.

So, in short, I have no problem staying here now. I'm actually liking the work atmosphere now and I can see myself saying here for the Long Haul.

Covok fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Jul 28, 2018

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

Dik Hz posted:

You can say whatever. But describing why she deserved the increases will be more impactful than talking about the raises.

I mean, my first thought was, "She's going to expect two substantial pay raises in the first year." and not, "She must be amazing to get two pay raises."

Yeah, good call. Thanks!

Betazoid
Aug 3, 2010

Hallo. Ik ben een leeuw.

Covok posted:

During the same week, the founder of the company decided to use our office for some of his work. My boss is actually an old friend of the founder. She literally said that she doesn't like managing and asked him to do the meeting for her because he's very good at talking to people.

So the founder of the company, this multi-national company, spoke to the problem employee for us. Since then she is acted a lot nicer, has not raised her voice or acted rude in any way, and is finally being nice. And, in turn, I've continue to act very nice and respectful to her. Because I'm not an rear end in a top hat.

But, yeah, they actually finally did step up and did something about it. I'm kind of surprised they got the founder of this Corporation to finally do the talk, even if it was just a matter of convenience.

So, in short, I have no problem staying here now. I'm actually liking the work atmosphere now and I can see myself saying here for the Long Haul.

Glad this worked out for you! It just reminds me of that old saying that people don't always leave because of a bad job, but they will always leave a bad manager. My manager is similarly nonconfrontational and just will not handle one of my coworkers who can't seem to get some of the job duties down. I turned my LinkedIn profile to "looking" even though I actually really like my job a lot. My manager is just lazy and won't actually manage.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Betazoid posted:

Glad this worked out for you! It just reminds me of that old saying that people don't always leave because of a bad job, but they will always leave a bad manager. My manager is similarly nonconfrontational and just will not handle one of my coworkers who can't seem to get some of the job duties down. I turned my LinkedIn profile to "looking" even though I actually really like my job a lot. My manager is just lazy and won't actually manage.

Yeah, the work itself is actually fine. It's within my skillset while still being an opportunity to work more. My main complaint is that, one out of every 3 months, I do nothing but twiddle my thumbs all day. Just how it works when you do sales tax/payroll tax/individual and business income tax. Some months, nothing is due and you got no one who needs anything done. Monthly bookkeeping can be left to the bookkeeper.

But, having a problem employee belittle you is problematic. And the manager being too weak to do anything was going to make me quit. On the positive side, she started to speak up a bit too. Like, before the founder had the talk and the employee acted rude, she did say to the employee "why do you always got to be so rude?" So, I guess it was a learning experience for her too. And she says that, if it happens again, she'll probably say a thing or two this time. Don't know if I believe that, but a part of me wonders if all the sudden confrontation had to do with something else.

I think it also had to do with something else. This week, we had to take the mandatory "don't harass your co-workers" videos and it was hard not to notice how some of their examples of successful lawsuits for abusive behavior seemed a bit similar. Like, I'm not saying I could sue if they did nothing nor would I have, but my situation felt very familiar to those example ones they were showing.

Frankly, if my work history wasn't so spotty, leaving would have been a no-brainer. But, i'm glad I can stay here a few years and work away the "flight risk" moniker.

Covok fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jul 28, 2018

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

I have a job interview next week

wish me luck boys

u got this

Sweet Tsunami
Oct 21, 2013
Question for you all -

I was laid off 2 to 3 months prior to a major surgery, and wasn't able to move it up, and it was something that would take me several weeks to recover from. Rather than trying to find a job and then taking medical leave, I figured it was best to wait until I was fully recovered to go job hunting. But now I'm just worried about a gap of a few months looking bad - is this something I should proactively address somehow in cover letters, .etc or only if it comes up?

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Sweet Tsunami posted:

Question for you all -

I was laid off 2 to 3 months prior to a major surgery, and wasn't able to move it up, and it was something that would take me several weeks to recover from. Rather than trying to find a job and then taking medical leave, I figured it was best to wait until I was fully recovered to go job hunting. But now I'm just worried about a gap of a few months looking bad - is this something I should proactively address somehow in cover letters, .etc or only if it comes up?

Only if it comes up. The great recession means that most people have a 6 month gap on their resume somewhere and it doesn't mean poo poo unless you have like 3 of them. Honestly at this point it's a sign of a poo poo boss if they make a big deal about it.

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015
I applied for job X on a company's website, and job Y for the same company through a temp agency.

The temp agency has told me that I have been selected for job Y. My final interview for job X is soon, and I'd rather have job X than Y. At Job Y, I will be a 3rd party contractor, not a real employee.

How hosed would I be if I accept an offer for job X? Apparently I already told the temp agency to accept any offers on my behalf or something.

I asked the recruiter if I could wait and see if I get a job offer for job X before committing to job Y, and he flipped out and made me write an email saying that I wouldn't accept any job interviews/offers for any other company. I haven't done any onboarding stuff for job Y though.

Etuni
Jun 28, 2006

What it lacks in substance, it makes up for in pretty colors

Is there ever a good reason to fill in the optional race/ethnicity questionnaire on applications? Obviously you wouldn't want to disclose a disability here, but does it look bad somehow if you choose not to respond to these questions?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Faith For Two posted:

I applied for job X on a company's website, and job Y for the same company through a temp agency.

The temp agency has told me that I have been selected for job Y. My final interview for job X is soon, and I'd rather have job X than Y. At Job Y, I will be a 3rd party contractor, not a real employee.

How hosed would I be if I accept an offer for job X? Apparently I already told the temp agency to accept any offers on my behalf or something.

I asked the recruiter if I could wait and see if I get a job offer for job X before committing to job Y, and he flipped out and made me write an email saying that I wouldn't accept any job interviews/offers for any other company. I haven't done any onboarding stuff for job Y though.

Tell the recruiter you won't be doing that, not that it's legally binding. Take job Y. Quit immediately if you get job X. You owe no one but yourself anything here.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

No Butt Stuff posted:

Tell the recruiter you won't be doing that, not that it's legally binding. Take job Y. Quit immediately if you get job X. You owe no one but yourself anything here.
No. The recruiter and the company might have an agreement that could gently caress you. If you did that at my work, the company would owe the recruiter 30% of your salary to hire you even if it was for a completely different job. String along job Y until you know about job X.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Faith For Two posted:

Putting a gun to your head is super illegal and you should call the cops on him.

Unless you somehow mean he didn't do that, in which case what the gently caress do you mean he made you?

As for the job X/job Y question, one of these is in the fiefdom of a more powerful lord than the other and that will determine whether you can get job X. If job Y's lord is stronger in the company then they can and will prevent you from getting a job outside their department.

Etuni posted:

Is there ever a good reason to fill in the optional race/ethnicity questionnaire on applications? Obviously you wouldn't want to disclose a disability here, but does it look bad somehow if you choose not to respond to these questions?

It's totally 100% optional to answer those questions and if you don't HR will trash your application without looking at it

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 2, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
What’s the deal with recruiters these days? They seem to only want to talk to me on the phone, despite having extremely limited availability for it due to working on the top floor of an open office... and I always tell them this and that I will be much quicker to respond to an email. It’s always either that, or they text, which I hate doing with ANY sort of professional contact. Why can’t they just drop an email first to gauge interest, or email me as a follow up when I can’t answer the phone? And how come when I finally give in and start texting back, the recruiter immediately decides “nah, I’m done texting?”

Gin_Rummy fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Aug 2, 2018