Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

A Sometimes Food posted:

The Games is some of the most hilarious poo poo still. It's old but it's Australian so you probably haven't seen it if you aren't also Australian, rewatched it recently as one of the lead actors died. Some of it might be inscrutably local but I think most of it is political and office humour that's pretty universal.

Yeah The Games is a good watch, it’s been years since I’ve seen it so might have to put in the rewatch pile. It’s a shame the BBC didn’t work with them to do their localized one and instead just pinched the concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Venture Bros at its best is one of the funniest comedies ever, minute for minute. Worth checking out as a companion to Rick and Morty as well, since it approaches the "thinking through nerd references too much" comedy well in an entirely different manner.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

theflyingexecutive posted:

This is good because you don’t get residuals from Netflix-only shows

And to compensate they overpay hugely up front.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

less laughter posted:

And to compensate they overpay hugely up front.

“Hugely” varies from production to production, but either way this will attract more directors and cast to Netflix

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
Not necessarily. Some of the Netflix up front payouts are so insane that they're even more attractive than getting lower up front deals but with residuals.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I wouldn't be surprised to see this happen with more and more shows as there episode count rises. Like after this season there will be 79 episodes of Orange is the New Black, with a 7th coming giving a good syndication block of 92 episodes to work with.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The strangest television news I have seen recently is that Family Guy will be doing a #MeToo-themed episode which focuses on Quagmire.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’ll be completely tone deaf I’m sure. The character will act exactly the same in the episodes following, otherwise why have him still on the show.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It seems like Comedy Central is up to something with their recent acquisitions of BoJack, King of the Hill, and The Cleveland Show.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Iron Crowned posted:

It seems like Comedy Central is up to something with their recent acquisitions of BoJack, King of the Hill, and The Cleveland Show.

Getting ready to cancel the daily show?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Wheat Loaf posted:

The strangest television news I have seen recently is that Family Guy will be doing a #MeToo-themed episode which focuses on Quagmire.

EL BROMANCE posted:

It’ll be completely tone deaf I’m sure. The character will act exactly the same in the episodes following, otherwise why have him still on the show.
I'm sure the people who still watch Family Guy will learn nothing from it (if it even has anything of substance to say) because they still watch loving Family Guy in 2018

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/uninterrupted/status/1022551795317465089

This looks real good

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Iron Crowned posted:

I didn’t know that Adult Swim is losing Cleveland Show rights, I’ve actually warmed to it a bit during my evening Adult Swim viewings.

I don’t think Comedy Central is up to anything but trying to get better ratings; Adult Swim got good ratings with KotH and Cleveland Show, though I think a lot of that is just people (like myself) who turn on Adult Swim for background noise in the evenings.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I mean it's 2018 and we shouldn't be surprised by anything at this point but man everything is just so weird. It looks like it's up to one man, Tom Arnold, to take down the President of the United States.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/tom-arnold-hunts-donald-trump-tapes-helsinki-mark-burnetttca-1202434082/

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

The hero we deserve

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tom Arnold is pretty much my favorite underdog story of all time.

Like, at the very least this adds to the political conversation about this monster even if it doesn't really move the needle. But I love thinking about 20-something Tom working at that meatpacking plant being told that not only did he become a huge star for a time and work with Schwarzenegger, he also got to become a vaguely significant political influencer with a national stage and a meaningful voice. That guy would tell you to get the gently caress out of his trailer.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jul 26, 2018

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://twitter.com/maxsilvestri/status/1022556298037014529

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I can also only dump in my own toilet so I feel for this morning dump man

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

esperterra posted:

I can also only dump in my own toilet so I feel for this morning dump man

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

smdh if you don't get paid to poop

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

These days, just throw up a green blanket behind the toilet, actors film themselves with their phones while they poop.

Then again I think that's how the last season of Arrested Development happened.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

lmao I work a shift alone and 90% of the time can't even lock up to take a piss let alone take a dump and get paid for it

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

esperterra posted:

lmao I work a shift alone and 90% of the time can't even lock up to take a piss let alone take a dump and get paid for it

There's an easy solution to that problem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX_2kmXxQiM

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
https://twitter.com/monicabreen/status/1022507356964278272

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Please welcome your new vampire slayer, Duffy

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Since they're gonna cast a Slayer of Color, she better hope that the fandom ain't star wars

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

zoux posted:

Since they're gonna cast a Slayer of Color, she better hope that the fandom ain't star wars

I think the odds of the internet flipping out are dependant on if this Slayer will have a new name or if she's Buffy.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
the first slayer was black

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

So was Kendra, and the new york slayer that Spike killed. I still don't really understand the point of rebooting Buffy though. Just make a new slayer that's black and set it in the same universe?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

hope and vaseline posted:

So was Kendra, and the new york slayer that Spike killed. I still don't really understand the point of rebooting Buffy though. Just make a new slayer that's black and set it in the same universe?

yeah idgi unless it's going to be a soft reboot, but if they're banking on the Buffy name it'll probably be a full one.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

hope and vaseline posted:

So was Kendra, and the new york slayer that Spike killed.

That's Robin Wood's mom. And there was also Rona the Vampire Slayer in season 7.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I would be seriously interested in a soft reboot/sequel that picks up after the events of 7 and completely ignores the comics.

Honestly I'd like if it ignored season 7 as well but lol. 7 sets up the universe well to do other things with new characters tho.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
7 also has some of the best episodes of the series, like Selfless, Storyteller, and Chosen.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

The comics are so bad I can't even

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

less laughter posted:

7 also has some of the best episodes of the series, like Selfless, Storyteller, and Chosen.

Selfless is incredible, you're right. 7 had some great episodes but overall I hated it. I get what it was going for, but completely splitting up the ensemble dynamic really ruined the show for me. 6 was also a mess but at least a mess that still felt like Buffy.

Also most of the slayers they introduced were such godawful actresses lmao so it was hard to really endear myself to any of these new important characters, with what little time most of them got combined with the mostly bad performances.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

7 was good until general Buffy and the Slayerettes happened. I still really dig the first half of that season. But you're right, there are some good ones in the latter half despite that.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

poo poo shoulda ended at 5 like Whedon apparently originally was going to have it do? idk how accurate that story (after some googling i can't find poo poo to point to it being true so prob just early internet gossip) is but I always remember hearing 5 (which really is a perfect series finale) was supposed to be the end.

Woulda been a drat good ending, for me at least.

e: ^^ yeah the first half is pretty good in general, and kind of a step up from the nonsense in the back half of 6. but once the new slayers come in and the ensemble basically stops having any scenes together that aren't sombre and miserable it just fuckin drags to the end for me

And then the end has one of the most hilariously bad main character deaths I've ever seen lmao. Killing off a main character with little to no fanfare can be super effective (see Sarah Connor Chronicles) but lmao in Buffy it was just awkward and bad

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll
That is the darkest timeline since then Once More, With Feeling would've never existed.

hope and vaseline
Feb 13, 2001

esperterra posted:

poo poo shoulda ended at 5 like Whedon apparently originally was going to have it do? idk how accurate that story (after some googling i can't find poo poo to point to it being true so prob just early internet gossip) is but I always remember hearing 5 (which really is a perfect series finale) was supposed to be the end.

Woulda been a drat good ending, for me at least.

From the wiki, and yeah I've heard this rumour lots of times but who knows how much of it is grounded in reality

quote:

It was rumored that this episode was going to be a two-hour television event called "Centenary" and to feature almost every single character from previous seasons including the entire Angel cast.

Earlier in the season, it was rumored that the entire town of Sunnydale would be sucked into the Hellmouth in the finale. Although it has never been completely confirmed, Joss had another plan for the season. The original idea was to have Anya die in the rubble, Xander be Glory's other half (instead of Ben), Willow was going to become evil after Tara's death and join forces with Glory, and Dawn was to be bled by Evil Willow in the end, and Sunnydale was supposed to be completely destroyed by the Hellmouth.
Many of the above ideas were used later in the series. Anya was killed in "Chosen" and had fallen behind rubble, Willow did become evil after Tara's death in "Seeing Red", and Sunnydale is destroyed in "Chosen".

I've also heard that the Pylea storyline in Angel was basically pulled out of their rear end last minute because of the UPN pickup of Buffy at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I like Once More, With Feeling but it also spawned endless horrible musical episodes in shows trying to capture what Once More, With Feeling did so tbh I would be pretty okay with it not existing ngl

I will always appreciate that episode for letting the actors who are bad at singing just be bad at singing.