Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.durangomotorcompany.com/used/Porsche/1999-Porsche-911-bcb6a4490a0e0aea36b84b1d73969c91.htm

Is that actually a C4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Decoder says C4, but also convertible: https://www.vindecoderz.com/EN/check-lookup/WP0AA2992XS624329

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

:thunk:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Further down that page it says coupe?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

This is the question of a desperate man, but does anyone have any experience with 911's and child seats?

Specifically: even say with a larger 20-40lb seat, can a medium to smaller sized adult still fit in the passenger seat? Or are you functionally losing that seat too?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which generation?

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

Which generation?

996/997

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

thechalkoutline posted:

This is the question of a desperate man, but does anyone have any experience with 911's and child seats?

Specifically: even say with a larger 20-40lb seat, can a medium to smaller sized adult still fit in the passenger seat? Or are you functionally losing that seat too?

Former coworker DD's a 997.1 with a child seat in the back. It's a properly beafy front facing one. Fitment is good. He couldn't fit two of the same seats side by side (they would overlap in the center). He also cannot slide the passenger seat all the way back. That being said, a 6'2" passenger can still fit comfortably in the front.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Front facing is a lot lower profile than a rear facing.

Just don't let the kid ride with you until they're 1-2 and you're fine. :v:

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Former coworker DD's a 997.1 with a child seat in the back. It's a properly beafy front facing one. Fitment is good. He couldn't fit two of the same seats side by side (they would overlap in the center). He also cannot slide the passenger seat all the way back. That being said, a 6'2" passenger can still fit comfortably in the front.

That's way more passenger room than I expected! Thanks for the specific feedback.

Larrymer posted:

Front facing is a lot lower profile than a rear facing.

Just don't let the kid ride with you until they're 1-2 and you're fine. :v:

Yeah, this is me trying to have my cake and eat it too — thinking of dropping the 987 for a 996/997 for a babby. The 987 carries a full line of rear facing child seats, not that there's any justification for turning it into a full-time baby transport carrier, but it did get me thinking about 911 kid seats.

In other news, the 987 is getting a factory short shifter kit once I scrounge up enough for the part. I'm of the strong opinion SSK are a waste in most cars because if your gear ratios are long and/or you have a factory flywheel, shifting will never be your limiting factor unless you're blipping off a downshift (??). But on the 987 they're so tight I can smoothly slam the clutch in/out on shifts and still be a little slow since the synchro sweet spot is not broad. Never have a seen a car that actually needed an SSK this bad, I literally only need about maybe 0.200s off the shift for it to be perfect. I was just thinking about this outside work the other day and next thing I'm googling reviews and they're great so hey, trip report to come.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I’m going to look at a new 718 Cayman right now.

They also have a Carrera T in stock.

Pray for me brothers. I must have strength.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

I’m going to look at a new 718 Cayman right now.

They also have a Carrera T in stock.

Pray for me brothers. I must have strength.

Manual comes with shorter gear ratios (speaking of), door straps, no gently caress-off wing, LSD... I hope you crack like an egg

Let me know how those carbon buckets feel though, curious how they could be comfortable enough for a 'touring' car.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Bought this: https://www.manhattanmotorcars.com/new/2018-porsche-718_cayman-trim-181956/

Driving it home to Cleveland tonight.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Congrats dude. Digging the red accents in the interior.

Regarding baby seats, the front seats of the 996 have pretty good legroom. I suspect as long as the babyseat doesn't hang over the front of the back seat much calling it a seat is generous it should be fine.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

YES, a manual too! I actually fell in love with my Cayman's black, I'm betting you will too. I honestly had the money to wrap it at one point and couldn't think of a better color (the flashy P-car blues don't look as good with the Cayman lines imo)

Congrats, you eggshell man

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hit a pot hole on 80W in PA with 118 miles on the car. Punctured the sidewall as it curves into the tread. Lost pressure instantly. I really hope the wheel isn’t bent.

Porsche roadside assistance had no record of my car since I just loving bought it. So that took a while.

So now I’m on the side of the freeway waiting to get a tow to a dealer 400 miles from home hoping they have a tire in stock. Staying at a hotel tonight.

Totally deflated.

If I have to replace the wheel I’m gonna jump off a bridge. I can’t even find a price on them.

If anyone can find it, it’s a front 19” Boxster S wheel.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Sorry, man :( At least you're going to have a mildly funny story to tell about it once the irritation wears off.
It's a nice looking car though, and that interior, gently caress.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
The dealer offered the wheel and tire protection at cost too :shepspends:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I think your part number is 98260102588Z (depending on color)

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Jul 26, 2018

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
$1400 hahahahahaha

There isn’t a single mark on the wheel so I think I’m ok. The tire was punctured, it didn’t leak out from a bad seal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I once had a similar sidewalk blowout happen driving from Maryland to Connecticut, right along the New York boarder. Luckily AAA covered the towing all the way home.

Also you could do what I did and get a set of custom Modulare wheels. Mine are due to get refinished and I was thinking of sending them back to them rather than having a local east coast shop do it. That gives me the option to refinish them with powder coat instead of the current chrome.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I just spent a lot of money so no more purchasing things.

I really need to start getting the wheel and tire protection.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
gently caress man, that sounds awful. I made a similar trip on 80 when I bought my 981 a few years back and was stressed out the entire way. Fwiw, our PA roads seem even shittier than normal this year.

There's a part of me still thinking about selling my 981 CS and getting a 987 Spyder. I can't get that car out of my mind. Someone tell me going 981-987 is a mistake.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

I love the 987 generation so I'm not going to do that, but isn't the roof on a spyder a huge hassle? As in you can't really leave it outside since it's not actually meant to weather the elements and it'll leak?

It looks drat cool, I'll give it that.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
I blew a tire driving west through PA (on 76, not 80 though) when I did my fly-and-drive for my 07 s4 a few years back. I think it's a rite of passage.

My little piggy was blessed with a full sized spare though.

edit: Cleveland? We need to have a little NEOH AI goon meet with Jymmybob.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Bajaha posted:

I love the 987 generation so I'm not going to do that, but isn't the roof on a spyder a huge hassle? As in you can't really leave it outside since it's not actually meant to weather the elements and it'll leak?

It looks drat cool, I'll give it that.

Yeah, but:

1) That's awesome
2) I tell myself I can use my wife's car if needed.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Jealous Cow posted:

I just spent a lot of money so no more purchasing things.

I really need to start getting the wheel and tire protection.

Don't bother, seriously. Protection plans like that are just a racket unless they are literally giving them away.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

$1400 hahahahahaha

There isn’t a single mark on the wheel so I think I’m ok. The tire was punctured, it didn’t leak out from a bad seal.

Hope the wheel is alright, if that's the case you're fine.

Wheel/tire insurance is dumb, take that money and get a) tow insurance and if you're anal they DO in fact sell a spare tire kit for the Cayman/Boxster. However, I believe it can't be used on the rear wheel so if you need to swap front to rear and spare the now empty front.

Total 3 years of 987 ownership I have had 4 flats and 2 tows. I learned my lesson. And I'm not giving up that spare storage space for a tire and a jack.

Residency Evil posted:

Yeah, but:

1) That's awesome
2) I tell myself I can use my wife's car if needed.

Hydraulic steering rack :getin:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Wheel is bent on the outer edge with no metal scarring. It balances and holds air but is obviously bent in daylight.

The dealer couldn’t get a new advan sport tire until tomorrow so I borrowed a macan and bought a Potenza re04 from Firestone. Back on the road now.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Wheel is bent on the outer edge with no metal scarring. It balances and holds air but is obviously bent in daylight.

The dealer couldn’t get a new advan sport tire until tomorrow so I borrowed a macan and bought a Potenza re04 from Firestone. Back on the road now.

You do have my sympathy, my first ever new car in life some joker rear ended me couple hundred miles out. Getting bodywork done before you've even gotten your plates sucks

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

I wound up getting wheel/tire insurance on my 997.2 GTS with center-lock wheels. Possibly unneeded, but it wasn't that long after I'd run the Milwaukee area entirely out of replacement rims for my Saab. Wound up ditching the alloys entirely and getting a nice boring set of steel wheels that didn't require tires almost nobody carried and didn't break every other time I hit a pothole.

I don't know that I'd buy it again. I did get a free tire out of it, but that was of course less than the insurance cost.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The dealer wanted $1200 for just tire protection on the civic si I just bought. I should have taken a picture of the list of extra poo poo thry wanted to sell me because i swear I could have almost doubled the price of my car with just scammy extended warranties.

Either way awesome 718, I have only heard great things about how much fun they are.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Jealous Cow posted:

So you drive all the way home in the loaner, drive back in it, and drive home in the 718 with new wheel?

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

So you drive all the way home in the loaner, drive back in it, and drive home in the 718 with new wheel?

No, I drove about 5 mins up the road to a Firestone to buy a tire they had in stock. The dealer couldn’t get anything that would fit until the next day and I didn’t want to spend another night in bum gently caress PA.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

willroc7 posted:

I blew a tire driving west through PA (on 76, not 80 though) when I did my fly-and-drive for my 07 s4 a few years back. I think it's a rite of passage.

My little piggy was blessed with a full sized spare though.

edit: Cleveland? We need to have a little NEOH AI goon meet with Jymmybob.

I literally just moved this week to Asheville NC :v:

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Last time I tried to reach out to a NEO goon was in the homeowners thread and he edited out all his posts and disappeared from the forum.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

Jealous Cow posted:

Last time I tried to reach out to a NEO goon was in the homeowners thread and he edited out all his posts and disappeared from the forum.

Yeah that sounds pretty goony

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
PA roads have always been garbage. The last few years seem worse somehow.

And the eastern half of 76 would have more options, but pretty mediocre after that. Up on 80 I'm surprised even Firestone had the right size. I have family up in the Poconos, and it's gotten a lot more developed in the last 10 years, but there's still not much.

A few years ago I was driving my 3 series to the shop to fix accident damage, and hit a pothole on 476 that bent the lip of the rim in at least an inch. The body shop guys were amazed it held air! I arranged to have a rim shipped to them, and they took care of changing the tire. I guess State Farm paid them enough. :)

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Lol this guy just moved out of state to dodge us!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

willroc7 posted:

Lol this guy just moved out of state to dodge us!

I think it’s because I guessed which house was his. He mentioned the town and a very unique feature of the house and I PMed him and said “oh are you on this street?” And boom lol