Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

therealVECNAmfers posted:

it says I have no outstanding trade offers?

If it's from me, it's because the person I offered was already traded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
gotcha

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I'm definitely open to trade, i just have no idea if i actually have anything that anyone would want. i have a few decent IDPs I guess and maybe a WR

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

:same:
I'm only a little bit over cap, but I'll need to clear a couple bench slots before the draft. I'm open to offers on just about everyone, although I'm definitely not trading away deshaun watson, mitch trubisky, or sean lee.

All three of my taxi squad guys are available, and keep in mind they remain taxi squad eligible this year too.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Looking to move Howard for high-end IDP starters and/or good cost controlled WR.

Also willing to move my TS eligible kids (trent taylor, mack hollins, breida, ekeler, henderson, chad williams), or Lee.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Zauper posted:

Looking to move Howard for high-end IDP starters and/or good cost controlled WR.

Also willing to move my TS eligible kids (trent taylor, mack hollins, breida, ekeler, henderson, chad williams), or Lee.

I’ll take Howard if interested.

Who is Team McLean? Got an offer out to you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Just a heads-up: if you check the league spreadsheet, the Teams tab lists all the team names and who owns them, with the MFL username and the SA username.

I use it constantly because my brain is mush and I can't remember who is who even after several loving years.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Zauper posted:

i for sure have IDPs and i also think someone offered me a trade for an IDP already like a week ago and I went to look at it and then got completely distracted sorry

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I have been trying via gchat to talk about stuff to you Teemu!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We need to schedule our draft, pronto.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I just emailed about the draft.

Zauper is on vacation the week of the 20th so we'd have to push that back maybe?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm good drafting any night after like 7 EST (I would prefer not to on Wednesday/Thursday, but I can make it work)

Also, I think this league is going to finally make me stop putting off buying a desk and setting up my desktop computer at my new place because gently caress phone drafting

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
LEGO Maniacs

I prefer any day after 8 eastern. No vacations, etc. on the horizon

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

I'm on vacation from Aug 19-26, and Sep 2-6.

Two other things I want to talk about:

1) Draft order. Why are we doing the rookie draft before the FA draft? I could see the FA draft informing your needs for a rookie draft to some extent, but not the other way around.

2) Add/drop windows. Last season we froze drops before the FA stuff, which happened essentially at the same time as the rookie, but then allowed dropping.
A) Given that we are doing a live auction, rather then FA add, I don't think we need to ban dropping players -- I think you could reasonably decide to drop someone because you won dez (or in order to fit dez on your roster). It doesn't really impact anyone's strategy, as the dropped player could then be put up for auction, so it doesn't restrict people from getting those drops.
B) I also don't think we need to prevent drops during the rookie draft. Leper could decide reasonably to drop one of his sophmore flyers for saquon, falling to him in the 5th round. It doesn't impact anyone else's draft strategy.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Also, alternatively, given vacation schedules (namely mine, I'm the jerk), we could also do a slow FA auction and/or draft instead of doing them live? I'd have no issues managing a 12h pick timer / auction on vacation.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I'd prefer a slow draft as well if possible.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Drops absolutely do affect draft strategy. If I'm entering the draft wanting, say, two WRs, and then draft two WRs, and then you drop a guy that I would much rather have bid on...

A bigger issue though is tracking cap. I do not want to have to update every team's current cap consumption throughout either draft with each draft pick, just to see if someone temporarily busts their cap by drafting a guy before dropping another guy to get back under cap like two minutes later.

I am also not 100% sure the drafting software can handle free agents dropped mid-draft now being draft-eligible. We would need to test it.

As for doing the free agent draft after the rookie draft, the idea is that (for example) you may not know if you will get that first-round RB you wanted, and having failed to get it, then you may want to go grab an FA RB instead. Also you may not really know how much cap space you'll have for FAs until you decide whether or not to actually use your third-round rookie pick, and whether you want the rookie you picked in the 2nd round on your taxi squad or not. Your FA picks cost FAAB dollars and so you really might not want to commit to a big FAAB pick before you know which rookies you got. For example Gronk is up for auction and we suspect he will command a considerable price... but maybe you are targeting a specific rookie TE and if you get him you don't want to commit a big amount of your year's FAAB dollars to bidding for Gronk?

But there's arguments to be made for doing the two drafts in either order. The main difference is the rookie draft is expected to take considerably longer. The secondary difference is that the FA draft uses FAAB dollars and is an auction draft.

I don't think any of the commissioners had a super-strong opinion about this so if the league would like to debate it that's fine. But we do need to schedule both drafts fairly soon, as we're not very far out from the start of preseason football.

e. A slow FA auction could take quite some time if everyone has a day in which to respond to anyone else's bid. A bidding war on one player could take a week to play out. It would be eaiser to run the rookie draft as a slow draft since it's actually an ordered draft... but we expect there to be at least 50 or so picks, and we do not have 50 days to run that draft. More like ~30.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I'd be fine with a slow draft for rookies, there aren't a lot of surprises there.

The FA auction should probably be a live draft though, it's harder to get drunk and stay drunk for a 3-day Slow Auction Email draft.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm always leery of like a 12h time frame for a slow draft. If my turn comes up at 11pm on a weekend it's unlikely I'll be online checking by 11am the next morning. Yeah you can pick in advance, but sometimes you really don't want to do that for various reasons...

...that said, if there's a strong consensus we could try it and then switch to a live draft after a couple weeks if it's going too slowly. We'd have to start it very very soon though, so the first few rounds of that draft will occur before/during the early preseason rather than after most of the preseason games, as we've done in the past.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We set them to auto-pause at midnight and pick up again at 7am or something.

12 hours is a hell of a long time for a timer too.

If the timing doesn't work out for everyone I'm willing to try it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Have you ever done a slow draft that takes a month? I have! 12 hours is totally very long for a draft that takes a few days, but I think most owners in our league are gonna take at least four or five rookies, and that's 48 to 60 draft picks. People are gonna go away for a weekend, or be busy for a few days, someone is gonna take 24 hours to make their two picks on the turn of the snake part, etc. etc. etc.

My real issue with the slow draft idea is that this league has traditionally run its draft right at or after the end of the last preseason game. If we're gonna do a slow draft we have to start very very soon. It's a significant change to the league's drafting philosophy.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
So far the only two that are on vacation are Leper and Zauper.

The 1st would work for both of you I believe.

Then we'd be hard pressed to do a live FA draft a few days after since Zauper is gone till the 7th.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm not opposed to a slow rookie draft if we start in the next few days.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm not in favor of a slow draft. I don't care what order we do the drafts in, I'm fine with either and I have no plans for the dates we're currently looking at for the drafts.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Drops absolutely do affect draft strategy. If I'm entering the draft wanting, say, two WRs, and then draft two WRs, and then you drop a guy that I would much rather have bid on...
Are you talking about draft or auction strategy?

If you're talking about the rookie draft, me dropping someone 100% should not affect your strategy, as unless I'm drafting someone and then dropping them (wasting my pick?), you can't draft a vet.

If you're talking about the auction, maybe yes, maybe no. It depends on whether I would have dropped that player had I not won whoever I won. Think about it this way -- NFL teams generally choose to add players and then cut the person they replaced, not cut and then replace unless there are cap or skill reasons to cut up front.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

NFL teams who cut a player get back most of the salary cap that player had. We don't get back our used draft picks, or the FAAB dollars spent drafting a free agent, so both decisions have season-long consequences. So, exactly when we allow teams to drop players has an affect on both drafts and the strategy used in them.

That doesn't mean we definitely can't allow drops: I think the mechanical issues are more important. I only take issue with the assertion that there is zero strategy consequence to allowing mid-draft drops.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

I’ve done a 3 month 96 team slow draft before.

It sucked so bad I bought Zauper in this year to co-manage my team with me.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright. I have done slow drafts too. They are boring but not difficult. Just slow and 'wait for 6 days and then make 2x picks within 5 mins'

It's not the end of the world.

That being said; let's open it up earlier maybe?

August 15th be under cap and drop your baggage.

August 17th maybe (what the gently caress day is that) we do first draft?

After preseason game#3 is my preference but if we cant we cant. Not the end of the world.

Edit: about rookie vs FA first.. I want FA first. I will make 2 rookie picks and then pray for my FAs as it stands. I would much rather draft my entire watch list on MFL via FA draft and then pick one rookie and sell 1.10

If I dont get 5 out of 7 FAs i am targeting then i need to fill it with rooks. Not the other way around.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jul 27, 2018

atomictyler
May 8, 2009
I'm free for any dates and I don't mind if we do a normal draft or a slow draft. If we're doing a slow draft we'll need to set some guide lines up for it so people don't get screwed over if their turns come up during weird times.

As for FA or rookies first I don't have a strong opinion. Either way has benefits depending on your team or how you plan to go about it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Yeah guys we are doing this backwards.

FA first. Then rookie draft.

Follow the NFL. They have combine, like 2 months of FA, and then the draft.

If I get gronk and Dez I am not gonna go for Ridley at 1.02...

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
rookie draft first makes way more sense to me, but idc really.

maybe I value draft picks too much though, considering my first round pick from last year might get cut before the season.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

If I get gronk and Dez I am not gonna go for Ridley at 1.02...

Bad example, because at 1.02 you can nearly guarantee who you have available. My first pick is at 2.05 and I really wanna know who I get before I spend FAAB money on free agency. So, there's strategy you can build in either direction.

Also the NFL's free agency does start before the rookie draft, but it extends to a long time after it as well, which we can't reasonably replicate.

Last year, I believe we did the rookies first, and then the free agents. Absent a clear decision to reverse it that's why we have it planned that way again this year. I am not like super strongly against switching it, mind you, although my vote as an owner is to do rookies first and then free agents. But if the majority of the league wants to reverse it, I'll vote to reverse it as a commissioner, because I don't think it's like, disastrous. That said I probably would be less willing to trade away picks if we switch to free agency first.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Leperflesh posted:

Bad example, because at 1.02 you can nearly guarantee who you have available. My first pick is at 2.05 and I really wanna know who I get before I spend FAAB money on free agency. So, there's strategy you can build in either direction.

Also the NFL's free agency does start before the rookie draft, but it extends to a long time after it as well, which we can't reasonably replicate.

Last year, I believe we did the rookies first, and then the free agents. Absent a clear decision to reverse it that's why we have it planned that way again this year. I am not like super strongly against switching it, mind you, although my vote as an owner is to do rookies first and then free agents. But if the majority of the league wants to reverse it, I'll vote to reverse it as a commissioner, because I don't think it's like, disastrous. That said I probably would be less willing to trade away picks if we switch to free agency first.

Last year our FA waiver run was August 30, draft was September 1. We did FA first.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

rookie draft first makes infinitely more sense at the very least from a cap management and compliance standpoint. draft picks have set value, you know exactly how much each pick you can make will cost you. Values in an FA draft are unpredictable and there's no way of knowing how much you will spend. If you have a roster trimming/trading period then a rookie draft, you go into FA with your payroll completely set for the season minus whatever you want to spend on FAs and you'll know exactly how many dollars you have in cap room

e: for the record if we want to push for a vote then let's vote but I do feel very strongly that rookie then FA is better than FA than rookie and that was one of the main things i personally pushed for in our commissioners' "meeting"

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

If you have a roster trimming/trading period then a rookie draft, you go into FA with your payroll completely set for the season minus whatever you want to spend on FAs and you'll know exactly how many dollars you have in cap room

Rookies are a set payscale so I'm not sure why you can't just do the math of adding up your draft pick prices.

The only variable price is the FA auction. Everything else is set in stone so as of today, well before the rookie draft, you already know exactly how your cap space will look. So do the FA draft first since that's variable and you have the roster space and cap space to absorb a slightly higher auction bid.

You're shooting yourself in the foot if you go into the FA draft with exactly $66 in cap space (for example). Then whoever has more space gets the players they want and there's nothing you can do about it.

Edit: You have exactly 90 dollars to spend in FA. You'll draft $28, so you'll have $90 in cap space.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jul 27, 2018

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

They both have their pros/cons.

Personal preference since both will happen this close to the season is to do rookie first.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

You're shooting yourself in the foot if you go into the FA draft with exactly $66 in cap space (for example). Then whoever has more space gets the players they want and there's nothing you can do about it.

That's the point and part of the gamble. Should have cut more guys earlier or evaluated the contracts better if you think you are going to need to get more talent back in FA.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
And that's fine if we want to do rookie first. I don't like rookie first, it doesn't make sense to me since the variable is always the FA draft. I dont like gambling after I've already blown my cap on rookies. I'd rather trade away my picks if I get Gronk for $60.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Spermy Smurf posted:

And that's fine if we want to do rookie first. I don't like rookie first, it doesn't make sense to me since the variable is always the FA draft. I dont like gambling after I've already blown my cap on rookies. I'd rather trade away my picks if I get Gronk for $60.

I'd rather get my rookies set then hunt for value in FA. Compared to over paying in FA and having to move a solid rookie pick for trash value because I can't get anything worthwhile back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Alfalfa posted:

I'd rather get my rookies set then hunt for value in FA. Compared to over paying in FA and having to move a solid rookie pick for trash value because I can't get anything worthwhile back.

Then toss your guy on the taxi squad. Promote him if he gets stolen.

Overpaying for FA is part of the league, 1 year rentals to bolster your team. Rookie WRs don't really do much since the miraculous 2012 draft, so grabbing a big-name FA makes a hell of a lot more sense than drafting a rookie WR that will probably never make it off your taxi squad.