Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
lets all talk about modern classic disney movie tomorrowland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzvXBFwcyek

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

let's talk about the modern classic disney movie Solo: A Star Wars Story

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

corn in the bible posted:

People always say that but I don't understand this sentiment. It's way more interesting if you do it yourself and it's not like the game is hard or bad or whatever.

Just play it it's great. Isn't that right, Zach?

driving around town and talking to Lynchian characters looks great, but the zombie action game stuff looks bad

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

killer7 is one of the most fantastic, interesting, and unique games i've ever played not to mention one of my personal favorites and i will preorder it the second the option becomes available on steam to provide my support for porting more suda51 games to pc but under absolutely no circumstances would i ever, ever recommend anyone ever try to play it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

chumbler posted:

Is there even a market any more for more utopian science fiction? Or is everything supposed to be an extension of modern reality now?

There's an optimistic Star Trek ripoff between seasons right now and it's good. Responding to the fact that all sci fi is gritty and dystopian these days was part of the point

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i saw tomorrowland three years ago and i only remember it because the main villain shouts about how dystopian science fiction is killing society by making people accept that things will be bad and then george clooney drops his little robot girl friend from the sky and she explodes

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you're thinking of metal gear solid v: ground zeroes

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Cowcaster posted:

you're thinking of metal gear solid v: ground zeroes

sorry i didn't play that one for more than 20 minutes

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

People always say that but I don't understand this sentiment. It's way more interesting if you do it yourself and it's not like the game is hard or bad or whatever.

Just play it it's great. Isn't that right, Zach?
Yeah, people like to complain about the combat but the game gives you infinite ammo/use weapons if you just do a couple of sidequests that trivializes combat so you can just go back to the rad stuff quickly. Not to mention that they even made combat easier in the Director's Cut version.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Looper posted:

driving around town and talking to Lynchian characters looks great, but the zombie action game stuff looks bad

As an acknowledgement of this the PC port made all the zombies die in one or two hits to most weapons so you can rush through them fairly easily

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I like optimistic sci-fo more because pessimistic sci-fi usually revels in its setting to be self masturbatory. As much as I like cyberpunk aesthetically, most of it is "I HAVE A ROBOT ARM! FIGHT THE POWER" instead of exploring gender identity in a world of limitless cosmetic enhancements or how prosthetics help disabled people live better as opposed to fight and hack better.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

As an acknowledgement of this the PC port made all the zombies die in one or two hits to most weapons so you can rush through them fairly easily

unfortunately the pc port will also randomly decide to find a single point in the game to crash at repeatedly and the only solution is to make the game slowly crawl down to 10fps the longer you play it without quitting

and sometimes that doesn't even work. so

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Optimistic media is more important when things suck imo

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

how about prosthetics and cosmetic enhancements for the purposes of being self masturbatory

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

I like optimistic sci-fo more because pessimistic sci-fi usually revels in its setting to be self masturbatory. As much as I like cyberpunk aesthetically, most of it is "I HAVE A ROBOT ARM! FIGHT THE POWER" instead of exploring gender identity in a world of limitless cosmetic enhancements or how prosthetics help disabled people live better as opposed to fight and hack better.

Honestly the presence of cyberpunk in actual popular scifi is greatly exaggerated. The major modern writers who actually get major sales are mostly milscifi. There's always KSR and China Mieville but they don't really fit that genre either.

I think internet nerds love cyberpunk because Computer and so that's what a lot of games get made out of etc and it's very prominent online as a result

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

remmeber the halo book where master chief has a cattle prod in his suit that tickles his junk to get him off hahahahah

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

killer7 is one of the most fantastic, interesting, and unique games i've ever played not to mention one of my personal favorites and i will preorder it the second the option becomes available on steam to provide my support for porting more suda51 games to pc but under absolutely no circumstances would i ever, ever recommend anyone ever try to play it

What about The Silver Case, was that one good

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The Silver Case is a hell of a thing but you definitely shouldn't play it because you'll hate it

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

oddium posted:

i think you would enjoy sid meier’s pirates!, tropico 2: pirate’s cove, one piece pirate game, asscreed 4: the pirate one, zack and wiki: the quest for pirate treasure, shantae: pirate’s curse

Sm's pirates! Is an all time fav i just beat it again in march

Tropico is fun but i always move on before getting too deep and the ui is clunk city imo

One piece is not something im familiar with

Asscreed4 was fun but i stopped playing cause the story missions are abysmal and gate too many upgrades

Zack and wiki also never heard much about

Shantae pc is another all time fav

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoyed Mass Effect 1 because it had the strongest optimistic streak of "We're gonna explore the galaxy and meet cool new aliens"

The neo-noirish "Let's see the dirt in this universe" Mass Effect 2 was still good and went in some interesting directions

"Apocalyptic total war" Mass Effect 3 sucked

Edit: I'm just remembering Kai Leng now and my day is ruined

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The neo-noirish "Let's see the dirt in this universe" Mass Effect 2 was still good and went in some interesting directions

This was one of the worst parts of ME2 though

Aria was such a loving boring, awful character and you're forced to deal with her repeatedly. The second she said that line my eyes almost rolled out of my skull. I would have loved an option to screw her over but for some reason Shepard just has to pal around with this rear end in a top hat crime lord like its no big deal.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best parts of mass effect 2 were when it was just being a goofy action movie where you shoot stuff up with legion and grunt

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

the best part of mass effect 2 is that garrus is retroactively master kazuhira “benedict “kaz “mcdonnel””” miller

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

You know what was weird? Maximo. It was a Ghouls n Ghosts game even down to the music being remixes so I don't understand why they didn't call it one.

I think the real reason is because Maximo was made by Capcom USA, and Capcom Japan didn't trust their USA branch to make a game that lived up to the franchise's reputation or something like that.

So basically the same internal politics that have plagued Capcom since Hyper Fighting got released.

The Colonel posted:

give me a remaster so i can play this game bamco

Not a remaster, but this got put out on Xbox One backwards compatibility and it's weird to see games like this bumped up to 4K even if it's just upscaling.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

If you want to play the silver case play the 25th ward and embrace the madness and confusion that results from understanding nothing and everything both at once

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I want to but I just finished playing 60 hours of danganronpa so I may need a VN break

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I always thought dystopian sci-fi was supposed to be like a warning about how contemporary social problems escalate horribly when left unchecked and that society should change to avoid that but instead fans were just like "cool robots" when OCP's deal was gentrifying Detroit so instead of being warnings they just turned into documentaries.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

oddium posted:

the best part of mass effect 2 is that garrus is retroactively master kazuhira “benedict “kaz “mcdonnel””” miller

master miller isn’t garrus but he is travis touchdown i thought

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I didn't really mind Aria because you only had to talk to her twice and then you could ignore her. Kai Leng could go gently caress himself though.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Endorph posted:

dq music guy was the least lovely guy in that room because at least he had a job that he was actually good at instead of falling rear end backwards into power because japan is functionally a one party democracy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3AnyHbCXmo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If I ever get off my lazy rear end and write scifi it would be "post-cyberpunk." The war is over, corporations lost, now all these jacked up street samurai and spyders have to integrate back into a self sufficient society that doesn't need arm blades and head cannons.

Callahan's X-Time Sal00n

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

Cowcaster posted:

master miller isn’t garrus but he is travis touchdown i thought

oh yeah i guess me2 is just bad

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Oh wow Amazon is doing away with their massive games pre-order programme in the EU.

Whatever will I do without it, pay full price instead of getting €2 off?!

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for the longest time i thought steven blum was reaper in overwatch

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

steven blum is reaper in real life

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Every match of Green Lantern vs. Sub-Zero in Injustice 2 is Steve Blum vs Steve Blum.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/uvse0l.mp4

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFM8TQ0h-A

the shop theme in this game is the shoppiest gba shop theme i've ever heard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
killer7 needed a Wii port more than any other game I've ever played. Story was nonsense but entertaining. A single cutscene in isolation was more disturbing that anything else in video gaming history outside a Silent Hill 2 boss

• Locked thread