Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Novum posted:

A skinhead approached you and asked you if you were a skinhead? Maybe it was his attempt at trying to be friendly.

Could be! The dude was pretty loving drunk though and I think mistook me for someone else. I didn't see the guy after that so I think the people he was with dragged him off.

Henchman of Santa posted:

Apparently someone showed up to YOB in Chicago wearing a MAGA hat and stars and bars suspenders

Who goes to a Yob shot to start poo poo :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Night one of Sleep was great, technical problems aside. Dick Boat is cool. Same offer applies to Bongripper tonight: hit me up, I'll buy you a beer (and you better pick the Hail Satan Worship Doom)

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde
A dude threatened to punch me out at an OM show, told me the only thing that stopped him was my glasses. I still have no idea what he was so pissed about, but he stood in the back and talked through the whole show so I'm pretty sure he wasn't there for the band.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

hot date tonight! posted:

A dude threatened to punch me out at an OM show, told me the only thing that stopped him was my glasses. I still have no idea what he was so pissed about, but he stood in the back and talked through the whole show so I'm pretty sure he wasn't there for the band.

Being angry, of all moods, while listening to Om is mindblowing

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

OMost hit ya

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Being angry, of all moods, while listening to Om is mindblowing

friend: what's the matter

you: Om so mad

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
Is the Weedeater/Zeke tour going around worth attending?

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer
I've never seen Zeke but Weedeater have been amazing every time I've seen them, so I say go.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Apparently someone showed up to YOB in Chicago wearing a MAGA hat and stars and bars suspenders

Do you think that guy likes Mike's solo hippie stuff

Dick Boat
Jul 3, 2009

Pulse Demon

Ingmar terdman posted:

Night one of Sleep was great, technical problems aside. Dick Boat is cool. Same offer applies to Bongripper tonight: hit me up, I'll buy you a beer (and you better pick the Hail Satan Worship Doom)

Can confirm both Sleep was great and Ingmar terdman is a cool dude.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
A short EP by a cool local band:
https://magnatar.bandcamp.com/album/the-trail

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Revisiting Church of Misery after a too-long break, rediscovering how good this song is.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Great three days coming up, Satan Worshiping Doom in full tonight, then two nights of Sleep :hellyeah:

E- I don’t know what day it is

Snowy fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 25, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Snowy posted:

Great three days coming up, Satan Worshiping Doom in full tonight, then two nights of Sleep :hellyeah:

E- I don’t know what day it is

Say hi at the Sleep show on Friday. I'll be the guy in black jeans and a black t-shirt.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

butros posted:

Say hi at the Sleep show on Friday. I'll be the guy in black jeans and a black t-shirt.

I’ll be the guy literally falling asleep

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Welp, Bongripper ruled and had awesome merch to boot.

Also nyc locals Godmaker opened and they’re definitely worth checking out if you haven’t heard them.

There must have been something on the ceiling that kept them all riveted :confused:

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I'm so jealous of you Americans. Bongripper are the only band in the S/D/S genres that I still want to see live but they've never toured even close to me :( They announced a UK tour a few years back that I would have flown to but that got cancelled :qq:

I've been very lucky to see live all these bands over the years:

Sleep
Yob
Sunn O)))
Earth
Boris
Shrinebuilder
Black Sabbath
Mastodon
The Melvins

There's not to many bands that I'd still love to see but Bongripper are definitely top of that list

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Bongripper are the only band I still haven't seen live. I don't think they've ever been to Australia.

I want to see them so bad :(

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm so jealous of you Americans.

Don't be. We're all lazy and the laughing stock of the world. I own all of their albums since Hippie Killer, but I passed on seeing Bongripper last week because it was a 2 hour drive. It was even on a weekend. I have no excuses. I fail as a fan.

Shakenbaker
Nov 14, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I'm so jealous of you Americans. Bongripper are the only band in the S/D/S genres that I still want to see live but they've never toured even close to me :( They announced a UK tour a few years back that I would have flown to but that got cancelled :qq:

I've been very lucky to see live all these bands over the years:

Sleep
Yob
Sunn O)))
Earth
Boris
Shrinebuilder
Black Sabbath
Mastodon
The Melvins

There's not to many bands that I'd still love to see but Bongripper are definitely top of that list

If it makes you feel better I'm in the US but never had a chance to see Yob prior to last month, and never got to see Shrinebuilder. It's one of like the top three problems with living in Florida, honestly.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I’ve lived in Chicago for almost four years now and still haven’t seen Bongripper because they always either sell out fast or I have something else going on.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I have a friend who’s been a fan of punk/hardcore/noise since 1980 and always traveled to see shows. He’s from PA but would fly to LA or London if a bill was good enough so the list of bands he’s seen in their prime is insane. It makes me feel very lazy and I’m going to try to start making the extra effort, it’s worth it.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’ve only been to one show ever. Very cool guy, me.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

I saw Sleep last night, they were incredible as always - setlist. Gonna see Bongripper on Friday. Also saw Yob this same month. It's been :krad: around these parts lately

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
i saw so many loving bongripper patches and shirts at the electric wizard gig in Hobart , i hardly doubt theyd struggle to sell out a big show even if they did only one Oz exclusive show. id fly to perth for it.

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jul 26, 2018

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Varg posted:

I saw Sleep last night, they were incredible as always - setlist. Gonna see Bongripper on Friday. Also saw Yob this same month. It's been :krad: around these parts lately

Good setlist, would just ask for them to add Aquarian. Will be interested to see if there’s any difference at the Brooklyn shows tonight and tomm.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’ve only been to one show ever.

Are you an actual bubble boy or something?

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
not everyone lives near frequented venues and has time! I'm lucky to live in the DC/Bmore area and I still find 10 tours a year to think "why the gently caress are they skipping my area?!" about

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

I’ve lived in Chicago for almost four years now and still haven’t seen Bongripper because they always either sell out fast or I have something else going on.

On the flip side I've seen them 7 times :eyepop:

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
The UK is actually pretty decent for international bands, at least if you live in a major English city. Most are going to play at least London and one or two of Manchester/Birmingham/Leeds/Bristol. Maybe Glasgow if you're in Scotland. Now I live in the north of Norway and nobody comes here - if I'm very lucky they'll make a stop in Oslo or Stockholm but more likely the nearest show is in Germany. I guess we had Satyricon last year, but then they're Norwegian and tickets were $55 :lol:. The last couple years have sucked for seeing cool bands for me.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

emdash posted:

not everyone lives near frequented venues and has time! I'm lucky to live in the DC/Bmore area and I still find 10 tours a year to think "why the gently caress are they skipping my area?!" about

You don’t go to shows in Philly? Cmon dawg, it’s not that far.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Snowy posted:

Are you an actual bubble boy or something?

That'd be a hell of a way to crowdsurf.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
yeah this is the slow metal thread not the wayne coyne realm of whimsy ok

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Oh I'd also love to see The Body live. Them and Bawn Greeper

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Bongripper on the floor of a local brewery a few days ago was much better than the other times I've seen them (festivals). To be certain, they can fill a bigger space and it's impressive to see how many people show up for them, but they seem much more at home in the smaller/DIY settings.

The one time I've seen the Body it was a very late starting show in the basement of a burger joint. But yeah...

emdash posted:

DC/Baltimore is treated pretty well in this regard and if you live in a college town or a flyover state it's gonna be way harder. There are a lot of regional doomy festivals out there now though if you want to make it a vacation.

Related to that, when are they gonna round out the Days of Darkness lineup? Really hoping for just one more really solid get.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
i'm not sure about that, but i think Anna von Hausswolff had to cancel her east coast stuff including that fest :(

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Just got a ticket to see Sleep for the second time in about four months. I was satisfied the first time but then the Sciences happened.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Just got a ticket to see Sleep for the second time in about four months. I was satisfied the first time but then the Sciences happened.
I saw Sleep for the 2nd time in January and they played Sonic Titan. It owned. I'm guessing they're playing more from The Sciences now since it came out a few months after I saw them.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I saw Sleep for the 2nd time in January and they played Sonic Titan. It owned. I'm guessing they're playing more from The Sciences now since it came out a few months after I saw them.

Sonic Titan has been around forever so I don't really think of it as a Sciences track, but they played that in Detroit too. Really holding out for Marijuanaut's Theme and Giza Butler. Plus we didn't get any of Dopesmoker really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

firebad57
Dec 29, 2008
https://soundcloud.com/user-758985205/fried-lightning-podcast-ep-8-earth-the-bees-made-honey-in-the-lions-skull

The world's dumbest podcast celebrates 10 yrs of the only doom album that will ever feature Bill Frisell. I also hear they're releasing an episode on the new Bon Gripper next, and that they want ppl to submit listener bands for their Dope or Nope segment at friedlightningpod at gmail