Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

you just described every console that has every existed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

IDONTPOST posted:

you just described every console that has every existed

Nah. Wii was floodgates opening up on lovely 3rd party shovelware. Even longtime nintendo fans acknowledge it. Gamecube had an amazing line up though much of it got ported to playstation 2 anyway so lol!

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

https://twitter.com/PhantomJoker5/status/1022502206002659329

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

punk rebel ecks posted:

As someone who got a N64 years later, it's essentially a system with half a dozen incredible games, another half a dozen good games, and everything else is crap that's baged like poo poo.

Easily Nintendo's most overrated console.

i feel like everyone agrees that the n64 was poo poo especially in comparison to the psx

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

All N64 games were bad with the exception of literally no more than 5 or 6 games, none of which are by rare. Mario 64, Waverace, Harvest Moon, F Zero, Blast Corps, maybe Pilotwings. I dont like the Zeldas.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Verisimilidude posted:

i feel like everyone agrees that the n64 was poo poo especially in comparison to the psx

Both consoles have aged horribly. Backward compatibility is a stupid idea past 1 maybe 2 generations.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

not liking teh zeldas is an idiot opinion

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Oscar Wild posted:

Both consoles have aged horribly. Backward compatibility is a stupid idea past 1 maybe 2 generations.

The generation gaps were so much bigger in the before fore time

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

TheScott2K posted:

The generation gaps were so much bigger in the before fore time

The PS3 was around for almost 10 years

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

PS1 sucked rear end

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Meme Emulator posted:

The PS3 was around for almost 10 years

And here we are in 2016, essentially playing better looking PS3/360 games, now with mandatory online poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

And here we are in 2016, essentially playing better looking PS3/360 games, now with mandatory online poo poo.

i know it feels like time stopped in 2016 but its actually 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

basic hitler posted:

i know it feels like time stopped in 2016 but its actually 2018

God it really does

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
3D gaming g came too early. Sega had it right in that consoles should focus primarily on cutting edge 2D games and only try 3D in simpler genres.

Unfortunately, the market disagreed. 3D gaming pre-Dreamcast levels of hardware sucked hard.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

yeah in the n64/ps1/saturn era there was way too much trade off to make 3D workable. I'd rather remember some higher-fidelity 2D games from the late 90s instead of games that are essentially unplayable now because nothing about them has aged well

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

basic hitler posted:

yeah in the n64/ps1/saturn era there was way too much trade off to make 3D workable. I'd rather remember some higher-fidelity 2D games from the late 90s instead of games that are essentially unplayable now because nothing about them has aged well

Wild ARMs 2 was one of my favorite games as a dumbass child and looking back at screenshots of it now I have to wonder how I got through it

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

TheScott2K posted:

Agreed though. And the games from that gen are pretty darn good, with some graphical improvements.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

basic hitler posted:

not liking teh zeldas is an idiot opinion

The fighting and puzzles were so boring and the games waste your time with lots of walking and jumping over gaps by just pressing forward with no other input or challenge. Wind waker had decent combat for 3D, fighting in OoT was rarely challenging for reasons other than camera angles. I like some aspects of those games but overall dont enjoy playing them.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

basic hitler posted:

As a PC-haver with a 3D card, I really felt bad for console havers in 97-99. Y'all dealt with some rough poo poo.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

TheScott2K posted:

As a PC-haver with a 3D card, I really felt bad for console havers in 97-99. Y'all dealt with some rough poo poo.

i was a pc-haver from 94 onwards but i was way more into early RTS games and poo poo like myst than the true-3D games of the time, although descent was cool. For me, most of the 3D party was on consoles even if it was cheesy and lame.

olives black
Nov 24, 2017

LENIN.
STILL.
WON'T.
FUCK.
ME.

TheScott2K posted:

Seriously. They fixed the hair-pulling frustration of developing on the PS3 by using a bog standard x86 arch with FreeBSD, and we could clearly get by on our current generation of tech for another 2 decades, but we'll all be cajoled into buying new poo poo in 5 years because :capitalism:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

C&C 64 and starcraft 64 were loving awful

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Shibawanko posted:

The fighting and puzzles were so boring and the games waste your time with lots of walking and jumping over gaps by just pressing forward with no other input or challenge. Wind waker had decent combat for 3D, fighting in OoT was rarely challenging for reasons other than camera angles. I like some aspects of those games but overall dont enjoy playing them.

what game from that time (1998) had good 3d combat

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Shibawanko posted:

All N64 games were bad with the exception of literally no more than 5 or 6 games, none of which are by rare. Mario 64, Waverace, Harvest Moon, F Zero, Blast Corps, maybe Pilotwings. I dont like the Zeldas.

Look at this idiot who forgot about great games like:

Jet Force Gemini
Aero Fighters Assault
Mischief Makers
Mario Kart 64
Banjo Kazooie
Diddy Kong Racing
Mystical Ninja

I'm sure there are more, and while I admit the grwaphics don't hold up on most of these games, they were nonetheless really fun to play at the time.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Banjo Kazooie was peak "I bought the wrong console and must force myself to like this." No wonder it ended up on Xbone.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Fried Watermelon posted:

Quake Team Fortress (aka the best Team Fortress)

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Fried Watermelon posted:

Final Fantasy VIII :smug:

Also the perfect thread to say it's my favorite

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong

Fried Watermelon posted:

total annihilation

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Game from 1998 with good 3D combat: Battlezone

Close thread

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Battlezone ruled. The Soviet campaign was hard as balls.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Axeman Jim posted:

Battlezone ruled. The Soviet campaign was hard as balls.

Legitimately one of the best games of a very stacked year.

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

FF8 is good

every FF after 9 sucks

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Verisimilidude posted:

FF8 is good

every FF after 9 sucks

Incorrect. 10 is very good for the peak of turn-based combat

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

bradzilla posted:

no

10 is very bad, please reread my post you are mistaken

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Most 3D games during that generation weren't even 3D outside of FPSes and platformers.

They were 3D models on painted backgrounds with really weird angles.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Fried Watermelon posted:

Half Life

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Verisimilidude posted:

FF8 is good

every FF after 9 sucks

Disagree, but only with the notion that there were no good games after 9. In fact, 11 had a really good story you just had to put up with literal weeks of bullshit to get to the creamy center.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

basic hitler posted:

i like civ v with the dlc well enough but the last truly fun civ game was sid meiers alpha centauri

I didn't think much of the dumb sci-fi lore attached to Alpha Centauri, but in retrospect it was kind of necessary to set up some mental imagery of how cities and people looked and behaved on the ground level, instead of seeing them as a bunch of abstract polygons and concepts like in Beyond Earth

What was also nice was that even though the technologies were made up sci-fi fantasy bullshit, they were still fairly self-explanatory. It's easy to imagine what a hologram theater is, or what the "frictionless surfaces" and "monopole magnets" tech might mean for society.

The buildings and tech in BE was a bunch of meaningless gobbledygook in comparison. What is an 'ectogenesis pod'? It's different from the 'xenonursery', right? I guess they're like a type of alien preserve, but wait the game has something else called an 'alien preserve' that you can build. There are five different variations of "place where aliens are raised and domesticated".

Whatever, click the ones on the tech web that make the right numbers go up.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The narrative in Alpha Centauri owned, and so did the way it was presented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

bradzilla posted:

10 and 10-2 have very good combat, probably my favorite two combat systems in the series