Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you could put your killer7 disc in a wii

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
imo dismissing killer7 as nonsense is doing a disservice to it. it's weird and convoluted but, it definitely has things to say

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

for example, the secret to hitting on women with 100% success

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The Colonel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFM8TQ0h-A

the shop theme in this game is the shoppiest gba shop theme i've ever heard

I always liked this theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUdDsQ0s8c

i've played 3 mr drillers and they were all the exact same but they own

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Killer7 is a mess

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Help Im Alive posted:

I always liked this theme

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwUdDsQ0s8c

i've played 3 mr drillers and they were all the exact same but they own

the first five mr drillers are all the same basic game but the presentation and surprisingly good scenario modes in the latter four make them own

and then every game after drill land is just the same game but without those things that made them own

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the ending of mr driller g is a moral choice where a mad scientist who's sending a giant drill into the earth's core offers to let you stay in his secure bunker while he floods the earth with magma and you have to agree twice, with the second time being him asking you to give him your drill, and if you say yes then he just says "haha dumbass you're gonna burn in magma and die" and you get a game over and restart from a checkpoint immediately before the decision

if you say no then the final level is you racing a giant drill down into the earth's core to crawl inside it and press a button that blows it up with you inside and mr driller says "well i guess i'm going to die" everybody just stares in disbelief as mr driller fuckin dies until he suddenly gets launched up to the surface encased in a solid block of dirt

there's also a part in mr driller g where mr driller's grandpa is like "you have to go to egypt" and then dig dug breaks through a wall and yells "DID SOMEBODY SAY EGYPT DON'T WORRY I'LL HANDLE IT" and then when he gets to egypt it turns out he just wanted to look at the camels

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Jul 26, 2018

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Jay Rust posted:

Killer7 is a mess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Xi-CxR-a2o

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it is canon to mr driller that dig dug and kissy from alien sector got married and had three kids and then got divorced and now dig dug is too much of a wimp to talk to his ex-wife so he just spends all of his time watching tv and bugging his kids, while kissy is just a single mom who gets drunk and writes books while raising her youngest child

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
killer7 is like a fever dream when you wake up and have no idea where you are, who you are or what liquid you've passed out in

also there is anime somewhere and you don't much care for it

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i don't like referring to odd, surreal media as nonsensical fever trips because a lot of stuff that people describe that way have really strong personal ideas that they want to communicate and i feel like calling them that is being worthlessly dismissive

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQvGXNmKe2o

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Convex posted:

killer7 is like a fever dream when you wake up and have no idea where you are, who you are or what liquid you've passed out in

also there is anime somewhere and you don't much care for it
i think its just, someone trying to tell a story in a distinctive way, op

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

Killer7 is a mess

so

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What if you had a hundred story ideas but only the budget for one video game

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

The Colonel posted:

i don't like referring to odd, surreal media as nonsensical fever trips because a lot of stuff that people describe that way have really strong personal ideas that they want to communicate and i feel like calling them that is being worthlessly dismissive

Fever trips also play deeply into subconscious thoughts and insecurities, and can manifest some pretty personal fears - it's not an insult in any way.

That said, I'm not trying to say the narrative is meaningless or without merit but as a whole it asks questions it doesn't try to answer and by the author's own admission is missing a tonne of pretty important content. It was loving cool to play through at the time and had some great ideas, don't get me wrong, but it's largely a case of style over substance

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lol if you think reckless ambition and creativity are ever not the most important thing about a videogame

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's kind of hosed up looking back on years of people laughing about how katamari damacy must have been made on drugs when the guy who directed it talks about his sense of self-defeat because he wanted to make the industry more aware of how we can experiment with gameplay not even for deep narrative purposes but just for the sake of it and he doesn't feel like he made the impact he wanted, and also that the concept of the game sprouted from his thoughts on rampant consumerism and hoarding of things that people don't really need even if he doesn't think that core message is overall important to the game itself anymore

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

what if you had two story ideas but only the budget for zero video game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViQbt0vxn1A

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's insanely sad to me that the reaction people had to the obviously bullshit GET A MILLION ROSES mission was not "that's a waste of time" but rather to share strategies on doing it more efficiently

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jay Rust posted:

hi cdprojekt red

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

lol if you think reckless ambition and creativity are ever not the most important thing about a videogame

Peter Molyneux just felt a twinge behind his eye.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i feel as though if you’re making an oblique statement with a non traditional narrative and you get upset at the audience for not getting it that might be partially on you

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

hi cdprojekt red

cdprojekt's strategy is to simply not pay their employees so that's kind of a different thing imo

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The most important thing about a video game is THE GRAPHICS

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

FanaticalMilk posted:

Peter Molyneux just felt a twinge behind his eye.

peter molyneux doesn't have a million story ideas crammed into one video game, he has a million really pointless mechanical ideas that nobody bothered implementing into like 15

Cowcaster posted:

i feel as though if you’re making an oblique statement with a non traditional narrative and you get upset at the audience for not getting it that might be partially on you

i mean. that's not even what he got depressed about

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the most important things about a video game is DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cowcaster posted:

hosed up to describe westworld season 2 like this but you're right

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Cowcaster posted:

the most important things about a video game is DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED

That game is actually really bad lol

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the quote is great tho

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Imagine I posted sales numbers for sports games, shootmans games, and the average ubisoft production here.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The quote from it is the only thing good about it

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The most important thing about a video game is that it's fun imo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

chumbler posted:

Imagine I posted sales numbers for sports games, shootmans games, and the average ubisoft production here.

Didn't the most recent Madden have a telltale-inspired cyoa mode with no actual sports in it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

cheetah7071 posted:

never heard of it

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

cheetah7071 posted:

Fun? Gross

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cheetah7071 posted:

the most important thing about a video game is cute anime girls

Didn't the most recent Madden have a telltale-inspired cyoa mode with no actual sports in it
the executive producer of madden loves trails in the sky (i am not making this up)

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The Spike Lee joint basketball game is very good it's like your boy is dead but visits you on the court as a ghost.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Endorph posted:

the most important thing about a video game is cute anime girls

Many people find looking at cute anime girls fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!