Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

That’s not a Bic?

Nah I like the Staedtler better; writes smoother. Also it's shorter, and the clip starts at the top of the cap, not the bottom of the cap, so it doesn't poke out of a pocket as much.

Josh Lyman posted:

Pilot G2 ink smears like a mofo

That's because it's a gel pen. Regular biros use a paste that dries almost immediately. Gel and other "roller ball" pens smear like all gently caress.

3D Megadoodoo has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Jul 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

sorry

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I've never bought a pen, I merely absorb the pens of others

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've been using a Fischer space pen for almost 10 years now. I haven't had to write underwater, upside down, or in freezing temperatures in a while but at least I have the option.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SpartanIvy posted:

I've been using a Fischer space pen for almost 10 years now. I haven't had to write underwater, upside down, or in freezing temperatures in a while but at least I have the option.

I've never had to write literally upside-down but a lot of regular biros will give you trouble if you're trying to write against a wall, for instance. (Something which is very common in certain trades where you have to sign for things in environments with a distinct lack of tables.)

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I have a fisher I keep in the car and it’s terrible. Uneven garabage writing utensil.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it
I have gotten into turning pens and quickly becoming that guy who pulls out a binder of hand crafted pens of varying styles when someone asks "Do you have a pen?"

mystes
May 31, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

Uniball power tank does all this better for cheap.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Solid Cake posted:

So you get three tickets a week to see whatever you want - can three different people go see the same movie together? Or are these tickets only good for one person? I was interested in signing up for this when it was announced but I'm not really sure what the limitations are.

It rules. Three a week including IMAX and 3D and whatever else minus Fathom. It only works for one person but what I like is if you want to bring another person you can buy their ticket at checkout at face value. My girlfriend has it too so we just coordinate for now until there's a family plan. Saw Incredibles last night just because we could.

You can book not just days but weeks out so if there's a big opening night release you're looking forward to, not a problem.

My friend told me Moviepass has surge pricing, can't see the same movie twice, you need to take loving photos of the tickets, and need to buy them in person aka I have no idea why anybody would still use Moviepass over this. AMC also not only has the financial backing but also pays way less for a movie ticket than Moviepass which pays face value so unlike Moviepass this won't go out of business in two months.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Tim Whatley posted:

You can book not just days but weeks out so if there's a big opening night release you're looking forward to, not a problem.

goddamn that's the killer feature for us then. thanks for the info.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Bottom Liner posted:

goddamn that's the killer feature for us then. thanks for the info.

For sure. The only thing I think which I have to clarify is it might take up one of your weekly reservations until the movie.

For example, it resets every Friday. This week I booked Incredibles, Mission Impossible Thursday and then Mission Impossible IMAX on Saturday, and it said I had no more movies available even though MI IMAX on Saturday was obv on a new week. Not a huge huge deal, but worth noting. Point being, you can more or less book your Friday night tickets the minute they go on sale even on Monday and be fine.

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

It’s still twice the price of MoviePass. Or more, I paid $7 a month or whatever it was back in November. Also there are are no AMC within hundreds of miles here so it’s not like I have a choice.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

One movie ticket where I live is still roughly $12-$13 without 3D or IMAX so I'm fine with $20/month for basically 12 movies a month if I was that hardcore.
There's also Sinemia (not limited to AMC, which I understand is obviously a limitation for AMC) which has diff plans here and lets you buy in advance and through an app because it's 2018:
https://www.sinemia.com

Not sure how long Sinemia or Moviepass will be around though since both are buying the movie ticket at full price without any real long term plan. Moviepass also has surge pricing now for Friday movies so you do pay more for those, apparently.

Tim Whatley has a new favorite as of 19:41 on Jul 25, 2018

Ms Boods
Mar 19, 2009

Did you ever wonder where the Romans got bread from? It wasn't from Waitrose!

Jeza posted:

I've never bought a pen, I merely absorb the pens of others

About 99% of the reason I do this one big conference every summer is to supply myself with about a year's worth of cheap pens from the publishers' room freebies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

TheManWithNoName posted:

It’s still twice the price of MoviePass. Or more, I paid $7 a month or whatever it was back in November. Also there are are no AMC within hundreds of miles here so it’s not like I have a choice.

With peak pricing movie pass is going to end up being 25-30 a month each for us so this is a no brainer. Moot if you don’t have AMC of course.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Pilot G2 ink smears like a mofo
Doesn't matter, they're still the best :colbert:

Tim Whatley posted:

My friend told me Moviepass has surge pricing, can't see the same movie twice, you need to take loving photos of the tickets, and need to buy them in person aka I have no idea why anybody would still use Moviepass over this. AMC also not only has the financial backing but also pays way less for a movie ticket than Moviepass which pays face value so unlike Moviepass this won't go out of business in two months.
I've been using it for like 3 years now. Taking pictures of the ticket stub isn't a problem at all and I have yet to encounter surge pricing, though I heard they were rolling that out.

I usually see movies at AMC theaters anyway, but not always, and the AMC thing is twice as expensive.

I'll keep using MoviePass til it dies, which yeah, may be pretty soon considering that they're bleeding money.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I'll keep using MoviePass til it dies, which yeah, may be pretty soon considering that they're bleeding money.

They're doing (or rather just did) some sort of high ratio reverse stock split in a desperate attempt to stay listed, and still managed to tank today by like 40%. An excellent short.

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
Pentel RSVP or bust

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

mystes posted:

Uniball power tank does all this better for cheap.

Finally the right pen opinion! Uniball 4lyfe

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

ReidRansom posted:

They're doing (or rather just did) some sort of high ratio reverse stock split in a desperate attempt to stay listed, and still managed to tank today by like 40%. An excellent short.

I was really rooting for them a year ago, hoping they could use collective bargaining to get a discounted ticket rate for themselves to make it profitable at $90/year. But the writing is on the wall and if a bunch of venture capitalists lost a ton of money (who cares) and all we got was every major theater chain coming out with subscription models so the end result is us getting cheaper tickets than we used to, I'd say MoviePass did a great job.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

MoviePass will probably be sold for pennies on the dollar to some marketing firm that wants their sweet, sweet user data.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I stopped going to the theater 7-8 years ago and stick to streaming and iTunes rentals so I’m way out of the loop but man, movie theaters have had a rough time recently haven’t they? I don’t think I realized how messy it all got.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Theater ticket sales have actually been on a pretty big upswing recently. Theaters are doing just fine charging obscene prices for concessions and trying to force you into a premium viewing such as 3D

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I like going to the movies now that I can drink and sit in a recliner. Solo was almost bearable after four rum and cokes.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I stopped going to the theater 7-8 years ago and stick to streaming and iTunes rentals so I’m way out of the loop but man, movie theaters have had a rough time recently haven’t they? I don’t think I realized how messy it all got.

All the theaters around me have gotten massive upgrades in the last couple years, the seats are much nicer now. Theaters are at least trying there best to get you to come in. My theater I go to has $5 tix on tuesdays with free popcorn so I go semi-frequently.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I was completely done with going to movies until I learned of the local Regal that has reclining seats with footrests, and, more importantly, reserved seating. That's a gamechanger.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I was completely done with going to movies until I learned of the local Regal that has reclining seats with footrests, and, more importantly, reserved seating. That's a gamechanger.

Yeah the reserved seats is nice.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Pen chat: Precise V5 'til I die.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Solice Kirsk posted:

I like going to the movies now that I can drink and sit in a recliner. Solo was almost bearable after four rum and cokes.

You could always drink in a movie theater. :ssh: (content: bought 2 tickets to the local Laemmle theater for ant man. It was exactly what I expected.) $18 total because it was a weekend evening ticket. A matinee is like $6/ticket.

Uni-ball vision 0.7. It puts low weight crummy paper in its place.

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

NewFatMike posted:

Pen chat: Precise V5 'til I die.

I was on this team for years until...

H110Hawk posted:

.Uni-ball vision 0.7. It puts low weight crummy paper in its place.

...I found these. Much more durable (the skinny nib on the Precise bends super easy), writes slightly smoother (particularly on crappy paper), and has (theoretically) water proof ink. I've also come to prefer the heavier .7mm line weight.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Lawen posted:

I was on this team for years until...

...I found these. Much more durable (the skinny nib on the Precise bends super easy), writes slightly smoother (particularly on crappy paper), and has (theoretically) water proof ink. I've also come to prefer the heavier .7mm line weight.

Way back in the 90's I realized pens didn't have to hurt to hold like a bic or be scratchy garbage with tiny tips. Never looked back. It does mean only writing on one side of the paper in a crummy spiral notebook.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

H110Hawk posted:

You could always drink in a movie theater. :ssh:

Just sneeze when you open your beer. Very slick.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Just sneeze when you open your beer. Very slick.

Flasks make no noise.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I like beer though.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I get really anxious about movie seating, especially when friends are meeting me and we have to get in a line. Reserved seating is SO NICE.
Luckily (at least for now) I see movies in the middle of a weekday so it's been fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Honestly wish they'd bring back a mid-movie intermission for a piss break and a refill on snacks and drinks. That'd get me spending more and attending more movies.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Mu Zeta posted:

I like beer though.

No one cares what you are drinking in a movie theater. Bring whatever you want.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

RCarr posted:

No one cares what you are drinking in a movie theater. Bring whatever you want.

For real, movie theaters are so lax about everything, no one cares if you bring in drinks/snacks, no one cares if you want to make it a double feature.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D. posted:

For real, movie theaters are so lax about everything, no one cares if you bring in drinks/snacks, no one cares if you want to make it a double feature.
I've done double and triple features for the price of one so many times over the years at a couple of the local multi-screen AMCs. No one gives a poo poo. Just make sure the times sync up and you're good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I've done double and triple features for the price of one so many times over the years at a couple of the local multi-screen AMCs. No one gives a poo poo. Just make sure the times sync up and you're good to go.

I used to just walk by the Usher tearing tickets at the front and tell them I work there if they ask for my ticket. That was almost 20 years ago.