Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

mdk2 may legitimately be the best game bioware has ever made

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

So what was happening?

Two of the American players and one of the Japanese players spend the entire round arguing and insulting one another, completely ignoring the fourth player that's quietly putting together a hand completely in the open. Eventually the quiet player declares victory off of one of the American player's discards, but that American realizes that he broke the rules ("that's a furiten!"), which the quiet player seems to have not realized, even though it's really obvious. Basically, everyone played like an idiot and handed someone a victory, except that player also played like an idiot and declared an invalid victory, and everyone's so frustrated and embarrassed by it they all kill each other.

Really, the scene works just fine when you don't know the rules, it's just sorta fun.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Pigbuster posted:

Two of the American players and one of the Japanese players spend the entire round arguing and insulting one another, completely ignoring the fourth player that's quietly putting together a hand completely in the open. Eventually the quiet player declares victory off of one of the American player's discards, but that American realizes that he broke the rules ("that's a furiten!"), which the quiet player seems to have not realized, even though it's really obvious. Basically, everyone played like an idiot and handed someone a victory, except that player also played like an idiot and declared an invalid victory, and everyone's so frustrated and embarrassed by it they all kill each other.

Really, the scene works just fine when you don't know the rules, it's just sorta fun.

that owns

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

it may not be literally true but i feel in my heart that “everyone’s so frustrated and embarrassed by it they all kill each other” describes a lot of things in killer7

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think my favourite character is the disembodied head (Susie?)

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

In Training posted:

I like suda51 produced games more than one he directs himself I think

The last game he was involved on was the first NMH, the rest were worked on by other people and his name was used for marketing.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

al-azad posted:

I didn't know until today that this dumb game started on PS1.
cool shirt. "no"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

GUI posted:

The last game he was involved on was the first NMH, the rest were worked on by other people and his name was used for marketing.

from what i’ve played i think he was pretty involved with let it die, the free to play ps4 exclusive with daily energy limits and microtransactions

yeah...

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

plus i feel like using suda51’s name for marketing is more or less equivalent to using the hindenburg’s name to sell blimps since until let it die i think all his games have been financial bombs

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Suda was writer/director on a bunch of games like Killer is Dead, Lollipop Chainsaw, and Shadows of the Damned. He has a Kojima-esque role where he looks at something and says whether or not it's cool enough.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

afaik the producer/director of Let it Die was also the one behind Killer is Dead and suda has no involvement with the games beyond coming up with the basic story/characters. Like KiD's main character's last name being a reference to musician Frank Zappa and his evil mutant arm transforming after killing Osama Bin Laden, a thing that is never mentioned in the game.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Crazed mutants killing bin laden is a concept which deserves at least one game imo

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Convex posted:

Crazed mutants killing bin laden is a concept which deserves at least one game imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOlja9ZKsGQ

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's cool that let it die is apparently a decent game until a very specific point where they realize that if the game is too fair, anyone could beat it without paying money, so the boss design just immediately melts into liquid poo poo that instakills you with no warning and takes a million hits

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

just based on the admittedly weak source of wikipedia he’s got executive directors credits on all that stuff, but he’s also the ceo of the studio so it would be his prerogative to leave it to someone else to pick up the pieces. i think all we can say for sure is port all suda51’s games to pc

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Jay Rust posted:

I think my favourite character is the disembodied head (Susie?)

All of the ghosts rule, I love the concept of a killer that's haunted by the spirits of their targets except that they're actually mostly cool with it and just wanna hang out or give them magic rings they found in a gas pump.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

When are you killer7 likers going to play the silver case

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean if i buy it can i skip playing it

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

that’s unfair, all i know of the silver case i’ve learned from osmosis and that amounts to “it’s phoenix wright but written by suda51, except all the parts that aren’t cutscenes are scene investigations, and all the evidence is replaced with number puzzles”, how far off am i

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Oh yeah Killer7 has “puzzles” lol

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

currently downloading the midnight release of WarioWare like a true fan, now they have to make a new Wario Land

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Waluigi really needs a solo game. Not joking.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Maybe Suda51 should direct it

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

In Training posted:

I could not find much rhyme or reason to Killer7 and i gave up playing it after maybe a few hours. its got a cool style but once it dropped its oblique environmental narrative design in the first level and then played that movie explaining what was going on I was put off by it.
It dropped nothing and that movie doesn't explain what is going on, it just vaguely pretends to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

The Escapist claiming theyre going to 'leave politics at the door' is such a total lie based on their super-gamergate past lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Help Im Alive posted:

Maybe Suda51 should direct it

a minigame where Waluigi has to ogle koopas to get new subweapons

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Treasure already beat Suda to the punch with a janky weird Wario game that focuses on wrestling moves.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Colonel posted:

it's cool that let it die is apparently a decent game until a very specific point where they realize that if the game is too fair, anyone could beat it without paying money, so the boss design just immediately melts into liquid poo poo that instakills you with no warning and takes a million hits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2k1zwDymw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Overblood is an underrated charming gem

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I hope everyone is enjoying their Thursday. I appreciate that whenever anyone mentions Let it Die I end up listening to a bunch of Feist
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOmR5f3J5sY

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

they should remake virtual boy wario land and give it real colors instead of eye searing red, and also bundle it with a drug that makes it as good as it is in my memory from 20 years ago.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

b_d posted:

they should remake virtual boy wario land and give it real colors instead of eye searing red, and also bundle it with a drug that makes it as good as it is in my memory from 20 years ago.

that drug is called playing the game

also emulators at least give you the option to use black and white instead of black and red

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

Quest For Glory II posted:

The Escapist claiming theyre going to 'leave politics at the door' is such a total lie based on their super-gamergate past lol

It's under new management. It's been sold to a media company partnering with the editor in chief that was there through 2011 (Russ Pitts, who co-founded Polygon and has been leading a mental health org for the last few years). If you don't know him, he's rehired Moviebob which pretty conclusively tells me it's the post-2014 politics being left at the door.

In other news I never played Killer7 and am looking forward to a chance to give it a shot.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I couldn't find a PC copy of Resident Evil 3 at my vintage store but they did have a GC version so I grabbed that instead. It's kind of weird, but I'm glad they added in the quick turn around. I'm not sure why they have powder instead of just ammo, but I see where Resident Evil 7 got it now. Just got into the Police Station - isn't the first half before RE2? Did they even try to keep continuity?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

finally, a games website that's afraid to talk politics

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Mr E posted:

Did they even try to keep continuity?

No, to the entire series.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

I couldn't find a PC copy of Resident Evil 3 at my vintage store but they did have a GC version so I grabbed that instead. It's kind of weird, but I'm glad they added in the quick turn around. I'm not sure why they have powder instead of just ammo, but I see where Resident Evil 7 got it now. Just got into the Police Station - isn't the first half before RE2? Did they even try to keep continuity?

It's supposed to be happening around the same time. Which is also why there's been some rumor/false hopes of Capcom just putting out a RE3make as RE2make dlc

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

how come Paladin Cecil's battle sprite looks like he has super saiyan hair

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Mr E posted:

It happens pretty much at the same time but the exact timeline is confusing, yes. And the point of the powder is to allow you to get ammo for any of your weapons so you don't have to worry about missing the one magnum ammo location in the game... but also to take up space and cause resource management since making high level ammo with it requires seven item slots and a bunch of inventory juggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

grieving for Gandalf posted:

how come Paladin Cecil's battle sprite looks like he has super saiyan hair

He always had the super Saiyan hair but he hid it because he feared the judgment of Internet people

• Locked thread