Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

apparently ole musky is calling up the employer of journalist that wrote a negative article about him getting them to pull it down, the writer to delete his twitter account, then posting mocking pictures after

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Elon having yet another Completely Normal One

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

ate all the Oreos posted:

also that scene where the one guy steadily loses bits of his body by having them suddenly disappear and be replaced by long-healed-over scars and stubs cuz they were cutting them off his past-self was unusually viscerally disturbing to me for some reason, way more than the usual blood and gore in movies is :ohdear: i bet it probably cost less to film too

agreed it was real gross

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
so uh why is the pole there

did someone realize halfway through construction that the building would fall down unless it was braced just so, and then they had to build around it?

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm guessing they converted an existing structure.

sure they could have designed the floor plans of the affected units to hide it in walls but they already had the one plan drafted and why bother when idiots will buy them no matter what?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

the problem i don't understand is won't people who go there just look it at then go on their phone and buy the thing from like 30% less than amazon? that is, unless the markup on BB isn't as loving obscene as it used to be and <10% difference. i suppose the exceptions is NOWNOW, which, again Amazon does same-day shipping a lot of the time for free (for now), or really bulk items in which it may be somewhat cheaper, like a fridge or something. but then just buy it from Costco or Lowes instead for 50% less?

now certainly leasing/renting space to manufacturers is a good idea and has seemingly done well.

Best Buy has dropped a lot of stuff that they were getting beat on (like PC parts, CDs/DVD stuff like that) and bulked up on major purchases that usually aren't done online like appliances and TVs.

They're also priced very competitively on a lot of stuff while Amazon has gotten more expensive. They have $150 off the brand new Macbooks and the iPads are on sale for $170 less than Amazon right now. Plus in my experince they have no problem price matching most stuff but this is a store by store basis.

I've bought more at Best Buy in the last year or two than I ever did before.

qntm
Jun 17, 2009

NoneMoreNegative posted:

this irked me out of all proportion, if he lost a limb in the past it’s not suddenly going to disappear in the future, the timeline shuffles so he always was missing the arm, no surprises that it’s not there in his sleeve ten years later.

looper is set in a universe where time travel is bad and is only ever used for terrible things and causes nothing but pain. when a paradox happens, the looper universe consistently resolves that paradox in the most physically/psychologically damaging way possible

see also how at the end the protagonist saves the day by killing himself before he ever gets near a time machine

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

they explained that as

…Bruce Willis looking right into the camera and saying it'd derail the movie to explain it

https://youtu.be/GbuXmXDw-T8

qntm
Jun 17, 2009
Bruce Willis doesn't want to talk about time travel because if he spent a single second talking about time travel he would realise that nothing he can do in the past will ever bring him back what he lost, and so would his younger self

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I just bought a tv off amazon that was sold by best buy so they’re pivoting somewhat

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/inlandempiredsa/status/1022303782955175936

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

haveblue posted:

so uh why is the pole there

did someone realize halfway through construction that the building would fall down unless it was braced just so, and then they had to build around it?

seismic retrofitting - it probably started off as a warehouse or shipping depot or something that got converted into residential

you're supposed to hide braces like those inside of walls since they're a hazard

mostly that's just piss-poor design since, assuming they were converting these into apartments from something else, the wet wall should've just been put elsewhere away from that crap

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

seismic retrofitting

ah, neato.

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik

Xaris posted:

the problem i don't understand is won't people who go there just look it at then go on their phone and buy the thing from like 30% less than amazon? that is, unless the markup on BB isn't as loving obscene as it used to be and <10% difference. i suppose the exceptions is NOWNOW, which, again Amazon does same-day shipping a lot of the time for free (for now), or really bulk items in which it may be somewhat cheaper, like a fridge or something. but then just buy it from Costco or Lowes instead for 50% less?

now certainly leasing/renting space to manufacturers is a good idea and has seemingly done well.

I would wager the markup is really small and Best buy is making all it's money on renting the space and maybe selling warranties or something,.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

before it got totally watered down they had the dsa sf housing committee chair on chapo to denounce yimbys as local loons and to decry their efforts at zoning reform as worthless because it was "a market-based solution"

completely ignoring that it's a crucial first change, regardless of the source of new proposed housing

then like a month or two later palo alto and others finished destroying it via exemptions and whatnot, but man the bay area dsa was not happy about it in the first place for some odd reason

pretty crazy that doing one interview on a fringe podcast can derail an entire bill but I guess that's the true power of the loony left

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Jenny Agutter posted:

pretty crazy that doing one interview on a fringe podcast can derail an entire bill but I guess that's the true power of the loony left

lol yeah that tiny fringe group of leftists in the bay area who listen to a practically unknown podcast

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

in that case good on the dsa, I'm glad they got what they wanted

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
sb827 was doomed as soon as the state legislature started bowing to homeowners in palo alto and berkeley about their bullshit concerns

my point was that it was disappointing to see an activist group like that, who is ostensibly pushing to alleviate the housing crisis, throw in against it as the crisis become more and more clear

the yimby movement here is large and fairly decentralized, and getting this legislation as far along as they did was quite remarkable and made national headlines. you'd think the dsa would want to co-opt that

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the la dsa laid out some pretty clear reasons why the opposed the bill as written and what could be done to get them to support it https://www.dsa-la.org/statement_in_opposition_to_sb_827

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
wow the cops didnt support anything that would help the housing situation huh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
yeah "full communism now or we support the status quo" is a bad look

i mean groups make mistakes all the time. the dsa supported kerry

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

crows would figure out how to game this thing within a day and it would be full of sticks and rocks or something

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/streetsblogusa/status/1022498020120846336
:allears:

quote:

The main conclusion is that TNCs are bound to generate more car traffic in cities for two reasons: They mostly draw passengers who wouldn’t have otherwise used a car, and each TNC trip includes significant mileage with no passenger.

Travel surveys consistently reveal that only about 20 percent of TNC trips replace personal car trips. Another 20 percent replace traditional taxi services. The bulk of TNC trips — 60 percent — either replace transit, biking, and walking, or would not have been made without the availability of TNCs.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they’re testing an autonomous bus on my street this month.

gonna go jump in front of it and get my big payout from the city.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
throw a watermelon into the windshield

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PsqZInqMbU

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
they’re testing it on 3rd street downtown austin in the early morning hrs right now. if i have insomnia i will yospost myself getting run over by it.

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

they’re testing an autonomous bus on my street this month.

gonna go jump in front of it and get my big payout from the city.

eternal slumber, the biggest payout of them all. 💰

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

they’re testing it on 3rd street downtown austin in the early morning hrs right now. if i have insomnia i will yospost myself getting run over by it.

legit wonder if this thing would stop if you laid down and remained motionless before it turned on to your street

please don’t try this use a dummy or a scarecrow or something

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

sb827 was doomed as soon as the state legislature started bowing to homeowners in palo alto and berkeley about their bullshit concerns

my point was that it was disappointing to see an activist group like that, who is ostensibly pushing to alleviate the housing crisis, throw in against it as the crisis become more and more clear

the yimby movement here is large and fairly decentralized, and getting this legislation as far along as they did was quite remarkable and made national headlines. you'd think the dsa would want to co-opt that

they're anti progress nimbys same as the boomers they just don't have the money the boomers do.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

they explained that as "their brain gets all scrambled cuz they can't remember which timeline is real" :colbert:

for the first guy he's climbing a fence so there's a short term/long term disconnect. I'm swinging my left arm up to grab, so obviously i had some plan with it, but ofc it's been gone for years and years..

another time travel gimmick had a villain that would 'remember' the old stuff the good folks were doing

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i just had a dream that richard stall man became a youth soccer coach and a video emerged of him feeding the kids with scrambled eggs that he cooked with his hands instead of utensils as his hands burned and skin flaked off. and yospos was making fun of it

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

hmm i meant to post that in cjs

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

:stare:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you taking malaria meds or something?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

fart simpson posted:

hmm i meant to post that in cjs

yospos is just one big thread to me.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

President Beep posted:

yospos is just one big thread to me.

Like the long colon-floss kelp tape you swallow?

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Schadenboner posted:

Like the long colon-floss kelp tape you swallow?

it’s the canvas on which i paint.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

infernal machines posted:

you taking malaria meds or something?
those were awesome

had a dream i was in an arcade where you'd like, fall into the pinball machines for this giant open world thing but could still actuate the flippers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

JawnV6 posted:

those were awesome

had a dream i was in an arcade where you'd like, fall into the pinball machines for this giant open world thing but could still actuate the flippers

are they like fever dreams, where you still feel gross and uncomfortable, or is it fun?