Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

limaCAT posted:

Yes but I'd like to see a seven or eight slot multi tool so that I can upgrade before getting the profit boost tech.

Chat up some Vy'keen in stations. Occasionally they'll grab your tool and offer a new one instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
The one time a Vy'keen offered me a multi-tool it was 20 slots but 15 of them were busted, so I was just like "ehhh no thanks." Out of curiosity, though, can you still use the multi-tool if it has busted slots?

Also, the multi-tool blueprint vendor has a different multi-tool for sale on each station as well, just to the left of them. The hotspot for activating it is super-wonky though.

limaCAT posted:

Yes but I'd like to see a seven or eight slot multi tool so that I can upgrade before getting the profit boost tech.

Eh I mean they cost 450 nanites which you'll make over the course of like two systems. Really it's just a matter of finding them, but you can do the "Join Random Game" trick usually.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

f#a# posted:

The one time a Vy'keen offered me a multi-tool it was 20 slots but 15 of them were busted, so I was just like "ehhh no thanks." Out of curiosity, though, can you still use the multi-tool if it has busted slots?

Also, the multi-tool blueprint vendor has a different multi-tool for sale on each station as well, just to the left of them. The hotspot for activating it is super-wonky though.

Eh I mean they cost 450 nanites which you'll make over the course of like two systems. Really it's just a matter of finding them, but you can do the "Join Random Game" trick usually.

Yup, the only issue with busted slots is you can't use the slot until you fix it. It's not cheap to repair(usually chromatic ore/modules/etc), but it's a great way to get a decent multitool on the cheap if you don't mind the legwork.

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

Sekenr posted:

If it makes you feel any better I also run on ultra with 1080 and sky/clouds look as hideous as on your screens. Unless there really is some tweak I don't know about?

This is the "game looks like 90s comcast cable" poo poo I was talking about. On a Vega 64 just so you know it's not a vendor specific issue

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Retro42 posted:

Yup, the only issue with busted slots is you can't use the slot until you fix it. It's not cheap to repair(usually chromatic ore/modules/etc), but it's a great way to get a decent multitool on the cheap if you don't mind the legwork.
Funny enough, getting new stuff (ships/guns) this way as an "alternate progression route" puts it closer in line with normal RPG mechanics. Technically, as you repair each broken slot, you're practically doing an incremental upgrade to your equipment. It's... almost ingenious.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
Yeah, I took the free multitool, which was kind of a mistake since some of the repairs I have no clue how to fix. I think I’ll be setting up a base on one of the planets and building a teleport rather than trying to keep my fuel going.
Anyone on Xbox want to party up and see how we do?

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Funny enough, getting new stuff (ships/guns) this way as an "alternate progression route" puts it closer in line with normal RPG mechanics. Technically, as you repair each broken slot, you're practically doing an incremental upgrade to your equipment. It's... almost ingenious.

Absolutely. I picked up a 20 slot ship that's going to be a great mid-game acquisition. It'll take me quite a while to repair but it'll eventually pay off.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

They need to change how sentinel ship encounters work. If you fight them, they keep coming. If you try to flee, your pulse is disabled. You might as well reload. Its like the Dark Souls II Morton's fork where neither option works and the enemy has unlimited aggro.

ok I came here to ask a question about this because I'm practically in a soft lock with these fuckers. Pulse drive is disabled, can't out run them, killing them only causes them to spawn more. Is my only option to literally die or reload? God that is so loving dumb

and this whole chase began because i landed on a dead planet and with "Casual" sentinels and mined a single outcropping of hydrogen. I didn't want to deal with them so I just left, but my wanted level persisted in space and I've been hosed every since

so PSA: do not leave planets with a wanted level or else you'll be stuck in an endless loop until you die. hope you're not in ironman!

f#a#
Sep 6, 2004

I can't promise it will live up to the hype, but I tried my best.
I had that happen last night, and yeah thankfully a frigate brigade jumped in and allowed me to dock. But yes, running away seems like the only valid option, which is kind of lovely.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

How are you supposed to get underground artifacts or whatever they're called? I see the icon, I get a bit above it and dig down then just before I'd reach it the icon disappears and there's nothing there. Even if I dig out a big area around where it should be. I buried tech things appear and so do cargo crates. Not sure what gives...

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

WarpDogs posted:

ok I came here to ask a question about this because I'm practically in a soft lock with these fuckers. Pulse drive is disabled, can't out run them, killing them only causes them to spawn more. Is my only option to literally die or reload? God that is so loving dumb

and this whole chase began because i landed on a dead planet and with "Casual" sentinels and mined a single outcropping of hydrogen. I didn't want to deal with them so I just left, but my wanted level persisted in space and I've been hosed every since

so PSA: do not leave planets with a wanted level or else you'll be stuck in an endless loop until you die. hope you're not in ironman!

Can't you just land back on the planet and hide? What I've done in the past.

Edit: Actually, couldn't you call in your freighter and dock with it as well if you are too far out from the planet?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
ok im gonna buy this stupid idiot game for children

how big is the download?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

buglord posted:

ok im gonna buy this stupid idiot game for children

how big is the download?

It's about ten gigabytes on my harddrive right now, so... big, but not as bad as some modern games.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

LOL after my 6th crash in an hours playtime my game now just flat out refuses to load. I am permanently flying through space.

How the gently caress did this pass cert on PS4?

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's about ten gigabytes on my harddrive right now, so... big, but not as bad as some modern games.

With seemingly small games like DOOM being 60GB or TESO being like 100, color me surprised.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

f#a# posted:

I had that happen last night, and yeah thankfully a frigate brigade jumped in and allowed me to dock. But yes, running away seems like the only valid option, which is kind of lovely.

I can't even run away, though. They fly as fast as my boost and I can't warp or pulse

I'll try to fly back to the planet I guess

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

WarpDogs posted:

I can't even run away, though. They fly as fast as my boost and I can't warp or pulse

I'll try to fly back to the planet I guess
Fly to planet, go into cave, problem likely solved. If you have the terrain manipulator, create a cave and close the entrance. Problem definitely solved.

Retro42 posted:

Absolutely. I picked up a 20 slot ship that's going to be a great mid-game acquisition. It'll take me quite a while to repair but it'll eventually pay off.
I found some crazy 30+ slot abandoned ship and now it sits in my freighter collecting dust. I want to put a tarp over it because "someday I'll pull it out of storage and fly it around."

But see.. this is why the "I can't sell ships" problem is bothering me. If I keep collecting abandoned ships, my garage/freighter is just going to fill up with poo poo I can't fly.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Well ran into my first big. Freighter says it has no hyperdrive fuel so I can’t warp anywhere with it but the hyperdrive is at 100%.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

DaveKap posted:

Fly to planet, go into cave, problem likely solved. If you have the terrain manipulator, create a cave and close the entrance. Problem definitely solved.

I found some crazy 30+ slot abandoned ship and now it sits in my freighter collecting dust. I want to put a tarp over it because "someday I'll pull it out of storage and fly it around."

But see.. this is why the "I can't sell ships" problem is bothering me. If I keep collecting abandoned ships, my garage/freighter is just going to fill up with poo poo I can't fly.

I figure worst case is I end up making it flyable and trade some merchant at the station for theirs.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

shortspecialbus posted:

What is the best way to make some money in this? I'd like to get a better ship but even with an S-class analysis visor upgrade it still takes ages to get a million spacebucks and the only ships that interest me tend to be in the 15 million spacebuck range.

Also is there a better way to get S-class ships than "sit in station and wait until one you like the look of shows up and make an offer?"

Are you using the Upgrade Modules? Even a C class scanner module randomly gives x10-x15 money on plants or animals (it's randomish). You should be able to get up to like 500k per animal that way

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Started over, and the main quest seems to be in a loop of “fuel your hyperdrive”. Do I need to make 5 warp cores before it advances?

Edit: it was because I had swapped to another ship I found, which had a broken “green” hyperdrive in it in addition to the one I built.

WithoutTheFezOn fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jul 27, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Retro42 posted:

I figure worst case is I end up making it flyable and trade some merchant at the station for theirs.
Actually this is a trick you can pull to get better ships on the cheap. You don't have to repair it to trade it. It'll show up on your freighter even though you could never get it off the ground from its crash site (lol) so just wait for a system with someone with a ship that's near the same "price" and do an exchange. Congratulations, you just sold a mostly broken ship for a slightly-better one that completely works!

precision posted:

Are you using the Upgrade Modules? Even a C class scanner module randomly gives x10-x15 money on plants or animals (it's randomish). You should be able to get up to like 500k per animal that way
Apparently those modules stack, too (up to three according to the in-game guide,) so if you can get multiple S-class scanner modules, your $$$ should flow like a river.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jul 26, 2018

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The way the game window acts is pissing me the gently caress off. There's no option to run on the third or fourth monitor, using WIN+shift+left makes the screen the same size proportionally as the other screens, so running at 1080p coming from 1440p monitors to a 1080p tv, it makes like a 720p sized window with half of the game out of frame. in borderless windowed, it puts the entire thing off-frame to the top so i only see the bottom half of the game. I don't understand how this is still a problem in two thousand loving eighteen.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

DaveKap posted:

Apparently those modules stack, too (up to three according to the in-game guide,) so if you can get multiple S-class scanner modules, your $$$ should flow like a river.

Yeah. There is a cap on how many modules can be installed at a time, though. And I'll reiterate, if you need Chromatic Metal and Tech Modules and like me you have thousands of Nanites, just buy random Upgrade Modules and Dismantle them, you get 75 Metal and 1 Tech Module per.

Be warned though that you can't do this forever in the same station, the vendors will run out. Now that I think about it that would be a decent way to convert Nanites to Money since Tech Modules sell for over 50k and Upgrades only cost 70 Nanites.

I keep warping hoping I'll find a chill planet again so I can actually focus on the base building. I found a Paradise Moon last night but it has Superheated Rainstorms.

Man the storms make the game feel real and atmospheric as gently caress though, like flying around on a planet and not being able to see and poo poo

drat this game is pure liquid cocaine now

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Does the... I think it's the Phase Beam, the ship upgrade that says it helps with mining, does that actually have any benefits over blasting asteroids with your photon cannon? Like more metal returned or anything? Otherwise I'm not really seeing the use, it just overheats instantly.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
How do you get the ship to your freighters in the first place?

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Does the... I think it's the Phase Beam, the ship upgrade that says it helps with mining, does that actually have any benefits over blasting asteroids with your photon cannon? Like more metal returned or anything? Otherwise I'm not really seeing the use, it just overheats instantly.

It overheats and then unseats very quickly. And it on hit kills most asteroids. So it's probably faster?

Mountaineer
Aug 29, 2008

Imagine a rod breaking on a robot face - forever

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well ran into my first big. Freighter says it has no hyperdrive fuel so I can’t warp anywhere with it but the hyperdrive is at 100%.

Same here.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

So I tried searching around a bit for my free freighter and yeah, I'm SOL on it. When you jump and you get the Freighter war battle thing make sure as poo poo you land on it and talk to the Captain to get the free Freighter.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Earlier today steam downloaded some gigabytes of data in no man's sky's name. I proceeded to play other things.

Now I go to play no man's sky as a break from those things. I am presented with a featureless dull gray steam window stating that no man's sky is performing first time setup.
Installing Microsoft VC Resist Package (step 1 of 2) it says...
The loading circle plays infinitely ... what do?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

I feel like I'm missing something real stupid here...

How do you delete a base? I can't pick up a base computer and going into the "delete" mode doesn't let me pick it up either. However, I'm reading people trying to solve the "base building mission is on my freighter" bug that I have now hit and people are talking about deleting their bases but outside of removing base structures, I don't see an actual way to remove a base computer. This also led to my main base now having 2 computers in front of it and one of them doesn't even work.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I already tried masturbating until blood appeared. This didn't fix it.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DaveKap posted:

I feel like I'm missing something real stupid here...

How do you delete a base? I can't pick up a base computer and going into the "delete" mode doesn't let me pick it up either. However, I'm reading people trying to solve the "base building mission is on my freighter" bug that I have now hit and people are talking about deleting their bases but outside of removing base structures, I don't see an actual way to remove a base computer. This also led to my main base now having 2 computers in front of it and one of them doesn't even work.

If it's like the old system, you build a new computer where you want your new base to be, and then I think you transfer it over?

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

Interact with the base computer and select delete base. You might need to pick up everything else first because that’s what I did and it worked for me.

HoboTech
Feb 13, 2005

Reading this with the voice in your skull.

Cactus posted:

Earlier today steam downloaded some gigabytes of data in no man's sky's name. I proceeded to play other things.

Now I go to play no man's sky as a break from those things. I am presented with a featureless dull gray steam window stating that no man's sky is performing first time setup.

If it's anything like my experience, get ready to take a nap. It eventually loaded everything, but it took a while.

And then when I started a new game, it hung on "Loading Shaders" for a good 15-20 minutes... but it did finally load. Now it's pretty quick, just seemed like the first time was a drag.

Edit: also, enjoying the new update. they did good.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cactus posted:

That's probably the same issue that a lot of Steam games have, there's a workaround but I forget what it is exactly. I had to do it to get like 3 games running. It's an issue with Microsoft and automatic updates IIRC

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Is this game on par with Subnautica in the fun department?

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry
dont warp on your freighter just space summon it to you

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I just found a "Historical Document" in a Large Artifact Crate. Is this just intended to be sellable loot, or it is some rare thing that I'm supposed to keep in my inventory for a million years until I meet some random wandering rear end in a top hat wizard?

edit: I can't find this item type on any wikis or anything, so I'm assuming it's new...?

edit2: VVV k, thanks!

Trustworthy fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah the Artifact Crates have expensive loot so just sell it