Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd just wrap it. My normal holding spot is the microwave...I run it for a couple of minutes to heat the inside, then just throw my meat in there. It works beautifully. I actually plan now for a couple of hours of microwave time before serving, it seems to make things better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Quoting myself because I'm at the end of last page:

Easychair Bootson posted:

Looking for a bit of advice on timing, as I haven't smoked anything in over a year. I have a WSM 22.5" and will be using Kingsford briquettes. My standard practice is to use the "Minion method" of lighting about 20 briquettes and then putting them on a full ring of unlit briquettes, getting up to temp, then holding steady at 225-250. I have two 6.75 pound butts.

Here's the complication: I want to serve pulled pork to guests around 5 PM on Saturday. I'm waking up around 4:30 AM on Saturday, leaving the house around 5:30 AM, and won't be back until around 9:30 AM. My wife will be home and she can make sure that temps don't get wildly out of whack, but she's never run the smoker before. Do I try to get the cook done in 10 hours (starting at 5:00 AM), or do I put them on the night before and aim for a ~13 hour cook, then keep wrapped in a cooler until later in the day?

bewbies posted:

I'd just wrap it. My normal holding spot is the microwave...I run it for a couple of minutes to heat the inside, then just throw my meat in there. It works beautifully. I actually plan now for a couple of hours of microwave time before serving, it seems to make things better.

Sorry, but I don't follow. Are you saying to wrap at some point during the cooking process, or to go with my second option where I'd put them on at ~9 PM Friday night and take off and wrap sometime around/after 9 AM Saturday morning?

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
I'd do your overnight course of action, then loosely wrap it in foil and toss it in the microwave until it is time to serve. You can use a cooler too, but I feel like the microwave does a better job of preserving the bark and not steaming your meat excessively.

Note: I do not know if other microwaves are as good as mine is at meatholding.

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

Looking for a bit of advice on timing, as I haven't smoked anything in over a year. I have a WSM 22.5" and will be using Kingsford briquettes. My standard practice is to use the "Minion method" of lighting about 20 briquettes and then putting them on a full ring of unlit briquettes, getting up to temp, then holding steady at 225-250. I have two 6.75 pound butts.

Here's the complication: I want to serve pulled pork to guests around 5 PM on Saturday. I'm waking up around 4:30 AM on Saturday, leaving the house around 5:30 AM, and won't be back until around 9:30 AM. My wife will be home and she can make sure that temps don't get wildly out of whack, but she's never run the smoker before. Do I try to get the cook done in 10 hours (starting at 5:00 AM), or do I put them on the night before and aim for a ~13 hour cook, then keep wrapped in a cooler until later in the day?
I'm facing a similar dilemma this weekend and I decided to just sous vide + smoke. Since it's basically cooked when you smoke it, you have a lot more control over timing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Quoting myself because I'm at the end of last page:

Sorry, but I don't follow. Are you saying to wrap at some point during the cooking process, or to go with my second option where I'd put them on at ~9 PM Friday night and take off and wrap sometime around/after 9 AM Saturday morning?

Cook it early and wrap in foil/butcher paper then a towel and put it in a cooler (or the microwave/Oven)

When he says to put it in the microwave he is meaning just as a holding area. Don't turn the microwave on the whole time...

Edit: Also if you happen to have a Sous vide setup you can just do it the night before then shred it and bag it. just before guest arrive throw the bags in the SV on a low temp (150?) to warm it back up. It wont dry out sealed in the bag.

Trastion fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Jul 26, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If rolling at 270-275 you should be safe starting off in that hour especially with that size of a butt. But it is always a gamble. Sounds like you are only gone for a few hours so it isn't like the drat thing is going to combust into fiery flames in your absence.

The real complication of your query is getting yourself ready, the grill up to temp and to hold a temp before you hand it off. We've all been there and we underestimate the time with prep.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Colostomy Bag posted:

The real complication of your query is getting yourself ready, the grill up to temp and to hold a temp before you hand it off. We've all been there and we underestimate the time with prep.

Yeah, from my limited experience I think you're right. Probably safer to fire it up the night before and get temps stabilized before bed. Thanks to everybody for the input.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

It always takes longer than I think it will, even if I start early. Night before is never a bad idea.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I know you can hold meat for a while in a cooler or whatever, but 8+ hours seems too long to me. I'd be worried about spoilage. Personally I would cook the night before, shred and bag, then reheat in a pot of boiling water or crockpot before serving. A splash of applejuice in the crockpot while reheating can add back lost moisture.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

bewbies posted:

I'd do your overnight course of action, then loosely wrap it in foil and toss it in the microwave until it is time to serve. You can use a cooler too, but I feel like the microwave does a better job of preserving the bark and not steaming your meat excessively.

Note: I do not know if other microwaves are as good as mine is at meatholding.

My microwave isn't big enough for most of my bbq but I do hold my tortillas using the same method you described. Works great.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I have acquired a 3.25-lb tomahawk ribeye, and I plan to reverse-sear it. I have never reverse-seared anything or cooked a tomahawk ribeye before. Recipe suggestions welcome. :getin:

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
Pepper, LOTS of salt, smoke on BGE at 225 until desired temp (I like oak, and 135f for ribeyes personally), remove meat, build fire up to as hot as you can, sear meat on both sides.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sear on cast iron, better than just over the flame. If your pan gets over 600F mind autoignition of the fats.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.

Canuckistan posted:

I know you can hold meat for a while in a cooler or whatever, but 8+ hours seems too long to me. I'd be worried about spoilage. Personally I would cook the night before, shred and bag, then reheat in a pot of boiling water or crockpot before serving. A splash of applejuice in the crockpot while reheating can add back lost moisture.

That's a good call. This would also mean less prep as guests are arriving. Is heating in water in a bag superior to heating in foil in the oven for ~45 minutes at ~225? I ask because I've done the latter but not the former.

Is there any significant disadvantage to smoking in the 200-225 range if I want to extend the cook time? This would mean that I could get everything on the smoker and temps stabilized and still get to bed early Friday night.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Yeah, I wouldn't do more than 5 hours in a cooler.

Guess my point is cooking time would be ok, but what sounds good the night before after a few beers/drinks "yeah, not a problem, I got this, I'll light this SOB up at the crack of the dawn" suddenly becomes a "holy hell, what the hell was I thinking moment" at 4am.

I eat baby skin
Nov 30, 2003
Fresh from the nursery

bewbies posted:

Are you saying that you turn on the empty microwave for a few minutes to heat the inside?

Just asking because that isn't how microwaves work. Microwave radiation will only heat objects that contain water, and as a result, you can't preheat them like with conventional ovens.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Actually what I got may not technically be a “tomahawk” ribeye; it’s cut a little bit differently from the pics I’m finding on google and I think it’s bigger. What is this thing?

I did not cut the bone off. It was already removed before I bought the meat. The steak is 3.25 lbs and a little over 2 inches thick at its thickest point.

I’m gonna reverse sear it according to Doom Rooster’s instructions and probably serve it with a cheese butter from a cookbook I just got. What’s a good cheese to make steak butter with for somebody who doesn’t like bleu? The book recommends roquefort, cabrales, cambozola, or gorgonzola.

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jul 26, 2018

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Just do a rosemary compound or something.

That’s a lot of external fat on that thing!

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't do more than 5 hours in a cooler.

I always keep a probe inside the cut of whatever when I have to toss it in the cooler to hold. As long as you're not dropping under 140, the BBQ is going to be safe to eat. I would suspect you could hold something for quite a while especially in a pre-warmed cooler. They hold in heat really well if you're not opening the lid, and filled the empty space with more towels/newspapers/whatever.

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Actually what I got may not technically be a “tomahawk” ribeye; it’s cut a little bit differently from the pics I’m finding on google and I think it’s bigger. What is this thing?

It's just a big ribeye, like you said already cut off the bone. I'd trim some of that tough fat off before you do your reverse sear. Service it with a herb butter since the blue cheese isn't your/others thing. All of what you listed are blue...and all of them are delicious!

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So did I buy a tomahawk ribeye or not? Cuz the butcher told me it was a tomahawk ribeye, and if he lied to me I’mma be pissed.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Isn't the bone the thing that looks like the bone on the top of the second picture? Did they cut it off and give it to you and you put it back on top for the picture?

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 27, 2018

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

So did I buy a tomahawk ribeye or not? Cuz the butcher told me it was a tomahawk ribeye, and if he lied to me I’mma be pissed.

I personally would call that a cowboy ribeye, meaning its a thicc bigass steak (two pounds or more).

To me a tomahawk always has the bone still attached. I think the terms are mostly interchangeable tho?

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Chemmy posted:

Isn't the bone the thing that looks like the bone on the top of the second picture? Did they cut it off and give it to you and you put it back on top for the picture?

That is a bone, yes. And no, nobody cut it off, it’s still attached to the meat, it just isn’t sticking out from the side.

I didn’t take those photos. They were texted to me by the butcher shop before I got there.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

So, to make it a classic tomahawk you need to cut off the big block of fat on the lower right and then clean off the bone.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Tomahawk steaks by definition have that big-rear end bone sticking out, causing it to look like a tomahawk. Your butcher must have cut it off, presumably for your convenience. It's not worth getting mad about since the meat is the same either way, but that's just a thick ribeye and not a tomahawk.

I definitely wouldn't french the existing bone, since gnawing off what's attached to the bone is the best part. I would trim off a good amount of that excess fat past the eye, at least to that streak of lean, maybe even farther.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
The only thing separating cowboy ribeyes from tomahawks is the long rib bone still attached. I use those for stock the rare times I get tomahawks.

Tezcatlipoca fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jul 27, 2018

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

I eat baby skin posted:

Are you saying that you turn on the empty microwave for a few minutes to heat the inside?

Just asking because that isn't how microwaves work. Microwave radiation will only heat objects that contain water, and as a result, you can't preheat them like with conventional ovens.

should have specified - I put a bowl of water in there

speaking of, I did this last night - I smoked a ton of bacon and it took too long and I was too tired to deal with it, so I threw it in the microwave overnight. This morning it was still hot enough to be uncomfortable to touch while slicing. also, I cut my finger pretty bad while slicing it.

also, homemade bacon is incredibly good and very easy to do

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Here is what a tomhawk looks like. You have a bone in ribeye. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb9b6mrYgZ8

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

qutius posted:

I always keep a probe inside the cut of whatever when I have to toss it in the cooler to hold. As long as you're not dropping under 140, the BBQ is going to be safe to eat. I would suspect you could hold something for quite a while especially in a pre-warmed cooler. They hold in heat really well if you're not opening the lid, and filled the empty space with more towels/newspapers/whatever.

Right, just one of those rules of thumbs. Stuff towels in the cooler folks.

And should add...not some cheapy soda/beer cooler with thin sides.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Any smoking/bbq/grilling youtube channels you guys would recommend? People with skills who know what they are doing?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

wormil posted:

Any smoking/bbq/grilling youtube channels you guys would recommend? People with skills who know what they are doing?

I just came across this video the other day, and maybe it was already linked in this thread recently I don't remember, but this guy seems to know his poo poo:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWPpfjAuii8

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

We need a Grilling thread.

I wish the Smoking thread was also a Grilling thread.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

We need a Grilling thread.

I wish the Smoking thread was also a Grilling thread.

It basically already is though.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I'm doing Meathead's pork belly burnt ends banh mi again for about 40 people today. Gonna be loving awesome. The two Pit Barrel Cookers are gonna get a workout today!

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
I went with Colostomy Bag's advice and put my two pork shoulders on at 9:35 last night. It's now about 12 hours later. I've kept the smoker temps in the 175-190 range (didn't want to wake up every hour and adjust the temps) and the meat is at 185. I'm serving in 7 hours.

I think I'm going to try to go to go another 4 hours and wrap/cooler the meat 3 hours before serving. I'm shooting for 200 degrees.

The alternative would be for me to bring the smoker up to 250, get to 200-205 degrees within an hour or so, rest for 30 minutes, pull, then reheat.

I'm mostly talking this out to myself but feel free to tell me if what I'm doing is stupid (i.e., if I should just commit to reheating).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Woke up at 4 AM to start a brisket -- only a partial cut which I'm too new to tell whether it's the flat or the point. I guess that wasn't necessary, because it hit 150F 3 hours later, I wrapped it 1 hour after that and now it's nearing the 190-200F range 3 hours after that. I was expecting a 12-15 hour job, not 7-8! :argh:

For that matter, can a brisket veteran chime in on what this might be?

Based on the layout of the fat cap, the meat fibers and the location of the incision, I tend to think that this is the flat that was completely separated instead of just chopping a slice of both. :shrug:

Jan fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Jul 29, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

My cowboy tomahawk whatever steak is motherfucking magnificent.

Pics will come shortly, right after I post pics of the chicken I smoked yesterday.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.
Just learned a new word today: Lardons
Cannot think of a better name for what amounts to pieces of bacon.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Jan posted:

For that matter, can a brisket veteran chime in on what this might be?

Based on the layout of the fat cap, the meat fibers and the location of the incision, I tend to think that this is the flat that was completely separated instead of just chopping a slice of both. :shrug:

Looks like a flat, they're usually more lean but still can have a fat cap on the other side. I've also never seen a point sold by itself. Only flats and full packers.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

So I smoked a chicken yesterday.

I didn’t get to do anything fun or fancy to it because we had company over that couldn’t eat salt or butter (she was old). I sprinkled the skin with pepper and garlic powder and that was it.

I wanted to smoke it at 350° so the skin would crisp up, but the Egg never really got above 320° probably because I forgot to clean out the ash beforehand. Still came out pretty good... maybe a little underdone cuz Dad insisted on pulling it at 166° for some reason, but good.