Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which religion is the best?
This poll is closed.
Shintoism 59 9.58%
Buddhism 77 12.50%
Taoism 66 10.71%
FEAR CLOWNPIECE 414 67.21%
Total: 616 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra3JGpuQPCo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Carlioo posted:

If you could ride around in a bowl all day, why would you ever get out?

Is this a metaphor for weed

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://twitter.com/quesq_info/status/1023374174151012352?s=21

this has got to win at least one or two points for being so elaborate

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

This is amazing.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Kanos posted:

This is amazing.

I know very little about Touhou and can't play the games for toffee but I love, love, the very specific brand of weird MMD videos it generates.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

el dorito posted:

https://twitter.com/quesq_info/status/1023374174151012352?s=21

this has got to win at least one or two points for being so elaborate

And if you ever wanted a 15 inch Reimu statue, good news

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Could you ever make a Touhou fangame with no art? I'm a huge believer in storytelling through mechanics, but is visual design too essential to "the Touhou feeling" to replace that way?

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I think it would be odd, to say the least.

Contacting a fan artist to ask for permission to use what they've already drawn seems like the best idea in that situation.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

I translated some Strange Creators interviews today…-ish. It’s a little rushed, but hopefully you can understand the gist of it. This sort of thing is always interesting, because ZUN’s kind of oddly frank in these interviews.

Antinomy of Common Flowers

Subterranean Animism + Undefined Fantastic Object

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Just yell at her like you always do. Bitch, get out of the way!

ZUN posted:

I didn't have any data about caves, so I panicked, left my house at midnight, and drove west to Akiyoshido cave.

ZUN posted:

Deciding on the balance between Master and Slave took forever. Naturally we spent a lot of time talking about who should be in charge. And plot-wise, I just couldn't write a story where they were just teaming up. The original image I had was that it would be like Stands in JoJo. Even now that image is strong for me.

Nages fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Jul 30, 2018

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Nages posted:

ZUN posted:

I didn't have any data about caves, so I panicked, left my house at midnight, and drove west to Akiyoshido cave.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

Touhou at EVO baby

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

I'll see you at the AoCF circuit, Nages.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Clarste posted:

I think it would be odd, to say the least.

Contacting a fan artist to ask for permission to use what they've already drawn seems like the best idea in that situation.
I guess I should say why I'm asking. I'm a week or two into playing with a thing in Unity, for practice more than anything, and I thought "There's no way I can turn this into something I can release, but it would be a lot less unlikely if I didn't need real art." If I ever have to act on it, it'll be a long way off. It's more of a philosophical question than anything else.

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 30, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

FractalSandwich posted:

I guess I should say why I'm asking. I'm a week or two into playing with a thing in Unity, for practice more than anything, and I thought "There's no way I can turn this into something I can release, but it would be a lot less unlikely if I didn't need real art." If I ever have to act on it, it'll be a long way off. It's more of a philosophical question than anything else.

If you're just making little games for practice and fun then you can do whatever the hell you like really

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010
Right, of course. There are a lot of things I can learn without releasing anything, but if everything goes well, one of the things I want to practice with it is boss design, which means having other people play it. Not having suitable art could easily get in the way of finding proper feedback. I guess that would itself be pretty informative, though, so maybe I should just think of "Does a Touhou game need art?" as one of the things I'm trying to learn from it.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
There are many shumps, not just Touhou. It's fine, just make a dinky little ship fighting the DEATH ORB.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I found another one of those Tom and Jerry MMDs. I'm disappointed that there's not any more of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UA7Lxsss30Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Down beat touhou is the original one that inspired others if they're not made by the same person.

They're all cute tho

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Gamerofthegame posted:

There are many shumps, not just Touhou. It's fine, just make a dinky little ship fighting the DEATH ORB.
It's a tactics game, not a shmup. One of the things that interests me is that there's a real design benefit to using Touhou for heavily rules-based games like that. If the player is already familiar with who the characters are and the kinds of things they're likely to do, it makes it much easier to get across what's going on with limited art without using a lot of words.

Nages
Dec 31, 2011

a cartoon duck posted:

I'll see you at the AoCF circuit, Nages.

I'll beat you there too.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

FractalSandwich posted:

Right, of course. There are a lot of things I can learn without releasing anything, but if everything goes well, one of the things I want to practice with it is boss design, which means having other people play it. Not having suitable art could easily get in the way of finding proper feedback. I guess that would itself be pretty informative, though, so maybe I should just think of "Does a Touhou game need art?" as one of the things I'm trying to learn from it.

A lot of games prototype without having anything resembling art to see if they're fun or not. It's super ordinary, so go ahead.

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

Clarste posted:

I translated some Strange Creators interviews today…-ish. It’s a little rushed, but hopefully you can understand the gist of it. This sort of thing is always interesting, because ZUN’s kind of oddly frank in these interviews.

Antinomy of Common Flowers

Subterranean Animism + Undefined Fantastic Object

By the way, these were super fun to read and I enjoy how candid ZUN is about his own thought processes with his work. Thank you for your translation work.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

A lot of games prototype without having anything resembling art to see if they're fun or not. It's super ordinary, so go ahead.
Naturally. Like I said, it'll only be a concrete problem for me much later, if at all, which is why I tried to frame it as a philosophical question rather than a request for advice.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Hmm. This still works, mostly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2btJhpYWE

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW_ADhP9yEI

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Chamaji made a doujin about our favorite guard dog seeking self-improvement.

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Goodest doggo :kimchi:

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I really like how in Chamaji's comics all the characters who have ever had to room at the shrine just kinda stick around as Reimu's housemates instead of leaving. It's very good and nice. :3:

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

She's going to need to clear out the warehouse if she needs to board them.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I started playing Touhou recently and I can't stop thinking about how cute Wriggle Nightbug is. Please provide me with the cutest Wriggle fanart you have so that I can turn into mush over my favorite bug girl

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

We’ve finally found the number one Wriggle fan... This is such a touching moment.

Justus
Apr 18, 2006

“Wriggle Nightbug” sounds more like a MegaMan X reploid than a 2hu. I don’t understand why nobody’s made THAT particularly obvious fan art, but I did go look for it.

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape
Wriggle Nightbug and Eternity Larva are incredibly just MMX reploid names and it is a shame there are no MMX soundfont remixes of their themes.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Black Mage Knight posted:

Wriggle Nightbug and Eternity Larva are incredibly just MMX reploid names and it is a shame there are no MMX soundfont remixes of their themes.

I feel like the SiIvagunner channel has done Touhou themes in that font, so it may be worth asking them!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
are they touhou themes in that font, or are they touhou themes in that font mixed with the flintstones theme.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Just look her up on safebooru, you nerd.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I really like how in Chamaji's comics all the characters who have ever had to room at the shrine just kinda stick around as Reimu's housemates instead of leaving. It's very good and nice. :3:

I just binged through all of Chamaji's comics and they're just :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Captain Invictus posted:

are they touhou themes in that font, or are they touhou themes in that font mixed with the flintstones theme.

You only get Flintstones in OG trumpet form.