Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

Why do you people hate language and decency?

We just hate the English in a "you're not my real Dad" kind of way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman

steinrokkan posted:

rack off ya boofhead

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

EoinCannon posted:

We just hate the English in a "you're not my real Dad" kind of way

Godammit Australia, when are you going to get a real job? :colbert:

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008
I just heard a story on the radio this morning about how some companies are replacing sit down interviews with computer algorithm analyses of a video you record on a mobile device.

Pretty soon, HR is just gonna be literal robots interpreting the cold word of management instead of an actual person

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Team, welcome your new colleague, a cardboard cutout of young Brad Pitt.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Rarity posted:

Jeez, give us a break, we've been looking, we're going to have to stick with locking up asylum seekers until they kill themselves until something more permanent comes along.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Skypie posted:

I just heard a story on the radio this morning about how some companies are replacing sit down interviews with computer algorithm analyses of a video you record on a mobile device.

Pretty soon, HR is just gonna be literal robots interpreting the cold word of management instead of an actual person

Everything will be automated because it suits Capital to do so.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

steinrokkan posted:

She’ll be right mate

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Skypie posted:

Odds are this is bought PR for some lovely machine learning startup that will be out of business in a year and has a few companies running trials. It's marketing 101 to lie about everyone using your product already.

There's definitely some appeal to it though because these systems are so easily biased. You can say it's the algorithm at work and you're not responsible when it filters out black people videos with darker-than-average moving objects in them

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skypie posted:

In the case of my company the computer would probably do it's job better. Our HR department is pretty bad

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Spatial posted:

Odds are this is bought PR for some lovely machine learning startup that will be out of business in a year and has a few companies running trials. It's marketing 101 to lie about everyone using your product already.

There's definitely some appeal to it though because these systems are so easily biased. You can say it's the algorithm at work and you're not responsible when it filters out black people videos with darker-than-average moving objects in them

The researcher pitching the idea was saying that computers are better because they don't have biases towards things like "charisma" or "good fit for my team" so they'll only measure objective skill sets that meet job qualifications.

Hilariously, earlier this week, BBC ran a story in the same fuckin timeslot about how US prisons using machine learning algorithms to determine if an inmate is likely to be a repeat offender. And it turned out the computers were no better at doing this than random people sent surveys and asked to make a decision based on the inmates' records.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Skypie posted:

The researcher pitching the idea was saying that computers are better because they don't have biases towards things like "charisma" or "good fit for my team" so they'll only measure objective skill sets that meet job qualifications.

Hilariously, earlier this week, BBC ran a story in the same fuckin timeslot about how US prisons using machine learning algorithms to determine if an inmate is likely to be a repeat offender. And it turned out the computers were no better at doing this than random people sent surveys and asked to make a decision based on the inmates' records.

Of course they loving weren’t though because it’s not like they have some secret robot knowledge unlocked, somebody had to program them with how to make the decision

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Pirate Radar posted:

Of course they loving weren’t though because it’s not like they have some secret robot knowledge unlocked, somebody had to program them with how to make the decision

That's not really how machine learning works. But yeah, the myth is that AI isn't extremely sensitive to human error or can't develop biases. And it can't find any magical correlations if they don't exist. Asking it to look at inmates' records and find some input correlation that predicts repeat offenses might be a workable idea, or then you might as well asked it to predict stock crashes from star movements.

Worst case scenario your entire training data is tainted and the AI finds a correlation that only exists in there and not the real world. The example results you would feed to the inmate-AI is inherently flawed; You aren't actually training against the likelihood of a repeat offense, but the likelihood they will be caught. How do you counterweight the fact certain ethnic and socioeconomic groups are that much more likely to get arrested in the first place? Not by factoring in the severity of the crime since the sentence is also tainted by the same bias.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Just want to chime in and say that I was also called a dishpig while working the job for a few years in high school (ruralish ontario). Was a p decent job all things considered, better than working retail and I had unlimited soda fountain access and they fed me at the end of the shift.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I know I'd rather work dishpig than deal with the public. I did both when I was at uni and as lovely as cleaning dishes for 8-10 hours at a stretch is, retail is just the loving worst thing imaginable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Rarity posted:

New Zealand just bought its first car, why can't you be more like them

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

BioMe posted:

That's not really how machine learning works.

I mean it is in every real-world system, once they finish loading in all their broken and biased training data and it fails to spit out any real useful results, someone goes in and hand-tunes everything just so until it produces results that can be adequately demonstrated to customers.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://twitter.com/BBCAfrica/status/1022488454339485697

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Only in Australia will you cause controversy by not eating a pie with your hands.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-44979827

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember, it's bad when those who steal from you are forced to give you your money if they're capitalists.
https://twitter.com/jonsteingart/status/1022586925385957376

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LZxelSc62Y

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Senor Dog posted:

Only in Australia will you cause controversy by not eating a pie with your hands.

Eh, sometimes I'd get a little wild at home and have a four and twenty with my gobbling irons.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Crowsbeak posted:

Remember, it's bad when those who steal from you are forced to give you your money if they're capitalists.
https://twitter.com/jonsteingart/status/1022586925385957376

Sounds familiar.

Oh, lol. This is why I want a inquisition.

quote:

Federal Court to Decide Outcome

Well, I'm glad they *tried* to get their wages back. Good on them.

Crypto Cobain
Jun 17, 2018

by Reene
https://twitter.com/JuliusGoat/status/987445304311107585

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Scary! posted:

Well, I'm glad they *tried* to get their wages back. Good on them.
Oh certainly the supreme court will decide against them. The Supreme Court pretty much thinks that if you don't own a business and at lest two mcmansions you deserve to die. Really this country needs a purification of thought. With those who will not think otherwise given the proper treatment to ensure they practice proper thought.

Solar Tornado
Aug 9, 2016

A true fool keeps on fighting, even when there is no more glory to be gained

TheMostFrench posted:

https://qz.com/1327804/its-impossible-to-lead-a-totally-ethical-life-but-its-fun-to-try/

"There’s no need to feel bad about failing to live a perfectly ethical life. That would be counterproductive. Feeling guilty doesn’t actually make us more moral. Oxford University ethicist Carissa Veliz explains in Practical Ethics that guilty feelings about wrong actions don’t make us more inclined to do better."

“When considering ethics, good and evil become limiting concepts,” Gilbert says. “Instead, it’s far more beneficial to consider our ability to make personal choices that [correspond to] either our higher or our lower nature. From that perspective evil lives in the conscious desire to act solely for oneself.”

This is why everyone hates moral philosophy professors

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

I know it probably isn't the case but I'd like to think they put the MAGA flag stations next to the rainbow flag stations on purpose

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Map of every McDonalds in the US.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Bonzo posted:

Map of every McDonalds in the US.

What’s that deadzone is West Virginia all about?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

VanSandman posted:

No idea but I think you answered your own question.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

VanSandman posted:

They'll strip mine those mountains soon enough and then we can build a few.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

:lol: Actually, I remember the "End of History" 90s more like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tnl-51cSYg&t=9s

The supreme court ruling for the 2000 election was simply confirmation that Dickian alternate universes exist, and that we'd spent 25 years maneuvering ourselves into one. Not much in the political sphere has surprised me since that moment, though I was young and naive and it took years for me to understand the lasting implications of the Clinton legacy, not to mention what that shitheel bastard represented while in office.

Tell me more please

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

VanSandman posted:

same thing as upstate New York, 's all mountains and trees, deer don't buy Big Macs

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

A sad region devoid of cheeseburgers. Quick, we need to subsidize McDonald's so they'll spread the joy there.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

I love the fact that Warner Brothers gets a cut of every V mask sold.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

VanSandman posted:

What others sort of said, but a lot of that area is forested National Parks.

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

happyhippy posted:

I love the fact that Warner Brothers gets a cut of every V mask sold.

dont forget that the only people who wear them now are advocating for regimes exactly like Norsefire

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woo yay! There's nothing creepy or terrible about this because it means possibly even more poo poo superhero movies for me to base my personality around!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Senor Dog posted:

Looks like he's failed the Australian values test already, send him back to where he came from.