Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Virigoth posted:

At least use Slack so I look like I’m working.

The beauty of SA with avatars off is that gray on gray looks very work-like.

Besides, chatting on the side or no these forums have unironically been one of the best and most useful professional resources in my career so it's not like I'm even lying when I say it's work related :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

The Iron Rose posted:

chatting on the side or no these forums have unironically been one of the best and most useful professional resources in my career so it's not like I'm even lying when I say it's work related :v:
100% agreed

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I actually was part of an IT discord thing (which was really just a bunch of local professionals talking about poo poo they were dealing with, kinda like here).

Within like, 2 months I started getting comments on it. I've never had a comment about SA.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Last time I asked about a Discord group I got dogpiled on because "why do we need one" lol

That's because Discord is stupid for a group like this. Slack makes so much more sense, someone make one.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

CLAM DOWN posted:

That's because Discord is stupid for a group like this. Slack makes so much more sense, someone make one.

https://join.slack.com/t/somethinga...Mjk4NDY1ZGNiNmQ

well that was easy

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I've never used Slack in my life. I use IRC daily.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GreenNight posted:

Well grandpa, let me tell you about this wondrous new world.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Jesus. Do you still have to hand crank your phone to contact the operator on your party line?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

GreenNight posted:

I have never in my life used slack or IRC. The last chat program I used for chat poo poo outside of work was Trillian.

For work I use Skype and Chime all the time.

That’s my IM/chat value add to this conversation

Nerdrock
Jan 31, 2006

I use Slack to scum hot tips via searching in the MacAdmins Slack. If you have to deal with Macs, it's an absolute goldmine.

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.
Highly recommend:

-macadmins slack
-powershell slack
-local user group slack
-splunk slack

macAdmins is useful even if you're only tangential to traditional mac administration. I use their security and virtualization channels a lot.

powershell slack is great for stuck on problems, even when they get complicated and require people stepping through your code themselves to see wtf happened.

local user group is sorta self explanatory.

If you use splunk and you aren't in the slack you are A Fool because i don't know how anyone learns about half of this poo poo without a holding hand, the docs are a mess.

chin up everything sucks
Jan 29, 2012

GreenNight posted:

I have been in IRC for 20 years, still use it most days. Slack I use less often.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Agrikk posted:

I have never in my life used slack or IRC. The last chat program I used for chat poo poo outside of work was Trillian.

For work I use Skype and Chime all the time.

That’s my IM/chat value add to this conversation

Slack is insanely useful for work, because you can use webhooks to plug in a whole lot of notifications from your network gear or hardware. So nice being told at a glance that a connection's gone down (or come back up) when it happens and you're away from your computer. Or you're on-call.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Please, notify me as little as possible.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

What’s still on IRC?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Tab8715 posted:

What’s still on IRC?

The same people that can't let USENET go?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
I've been at my new job just about 2 months. I just found out one of my wife's friends from high school had a phone interview here, but he's kind of on the fence about moving. Is it worth my time to make an internal recommendation for him anyway? He's very smart and I think he would do well here, and it would be a huge step up from what he's doing now.

Is it worth being concerned about telling people here he's a solid hire if he turns down an offer?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Judge Schnoopy posted:

I've been at my new job just about 2 months. I just found out one of my wife's friends from high school had a phone interview here, but he's kind of on the fence about moving. Is it worth my time to make an internal recommendation for him anyway? He's very smart and I think he would do well here, and it would be a huge step up from what he's doing now.

Is it worth being concerned about telling people here he's a solid hire if he turns down an offer?

I wouldn't think so. What would be worse is recommending someone who turns out to be a total putz.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Does he enjoy beer? Tell him he should move ASAP.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Proteus Jones posted:

The same people that can't let USENET go?

I would agree that IRC and Usenet are both very useful for piracy.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
Split braining discussion between the forums and chat is a dumb idea because I can't read everyone's random chat the way I can read every forums post.

There are more than enough existing public slack channels if you do want the IT-ish chat experience. This community was obviously working very well with the dead gay internet comedy forums format.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Methanar posted:

Split braining discussion between the forums and chat is a dumb idea because I can't read everyone's random chat the way I can read every forums post.

There are more than enough existing public slack channels if you do want the IT-ish chat experience. This community was obviously working very well with the dead gay internet comedy forums format.

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

Methanar posted:

I'm 100% in agreement with this, these dead gay forums are at least dead and gay. A Slack channel is just gay.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Why not just post in both?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Vargatron posted:

Why not just post in both?

RAIC

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I dunno, I'm already in four Slack orgs and probably won't add another

madmatt112
Jul 11, 2016

Is that a cat in your pants, or are you just a lonely excuse for an adult?

I mean, do what you want - somebody makes one and a bunch of people will use it. Just be mindful that it could have effects on the SH/SC board. I dunno. I get that change is the only constant, but let's just be thoughtful about our lil' community yeah?

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Slack is currently fun, but forums are forever

This is my hottake of cloud-based communication chats!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
we'll see how many people open Slack again tomorrow.

Cause we know everybody here is coming back to the forums

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

I enjoy our #sysadmins IRC channel. People are nice.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

What's y'alls drink of choice for this Friday? Think I'll indulge in some Banana Toffee Pudding beer from the local beer store this evening.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Vargatron posted:

What's y'alls drink of choice for this Friday? Think I'll indulge in some Banana Toffee Pudding beer from the local beer store this evening.

Haven’t had a drink in about a week and a half so I’m feeling like less of a bloated mess

LochNessMonster
Feb 3, 2005

I need about three fitty

GreenNight posted:

I enjoy our #sysadmins IRC channel. People are nice.

On what net?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Judge Schnoopy posted:

we'll see how many people open Slack again tomorrow.

Cause we know everybody here is coming back to the forums

Tomorrow is Saturday.

Probably not a lot.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am always slacking

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Had a taco truck today at work, they had some really good pork marinated in pineapple, I haven't had pork in 2 years or something and drat was that good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

SynIRC.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Sepist posted:

Please, notify me as little as possible.

Not emptyquoting

Edit: also Mexican Coke. [I’m at a three day soccer tournament with the kids and it’s incredibly hot and sunny here in Redmond and Mexican Coke is the best thing ever. Well, aside from sex in a canoe beer...]

Agrikk fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jul 27, 2018

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

MF_James posted:

Had a taco truck today at work, they had some really good pork marinated in pineapple, I haven't had pork in 2 years or something and drat was that good.

Tacos al pastor own.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

CLAM DOWN posted:

This isn't the right place to ask, but is there a way to make Discord go to the oldest unread messages when you switch channels/servers? When I get 300 new posts in something, it always starts me like 3/4 of the way down, and since the scroll bar only shows a handful of messages at once, you have to scroll up and up and up and up - and pay attention the whole time, because the only indication you get is one line in red that says 'new messages'. WHY NOT START THERE YOU STUPID CLIENT :argh:

Corsair Pool Boy fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jul 27, 2018