Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

necrobobsledder posted:

There's no way to limit spending in AWS is the thing and the truth is that there's nothing that really distinguishes a "prod" account from a "dev" account when it comes to getting owned and having someone spin up resources on your dime because your devs aren't focused on basic operational security. Our developer account got owned and all our instances there mining coins for a while too.

Responding to that by appointing someone to babysit everybody's AWS usage feels like the 2010s version of people having to file IT support tickets to install their preferred text editor on their workstations. :psyduck:

quote:

At a point I'd like to request service limit decreases from AWS for everything we don't use normally but I haven't seen that option yet.

I think I read somewhere that AWS support will do that for you. Have you checked out AWS Organizations and Service Control Policies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

You certainly can request limit decreases. I did it after Team Chucklefuck raised all their limits to 1000 for no reason and got hacked. Just open a support case and ask them to do it. It’s not one of the choices in the drop down but I just filed it as “general account question” or something and they took care of it. I had support set the limits to 0 in regions we don’t and probably will never use, and something closer to the number of instances we actually run in the regions we do use. You can always raise them again if needed.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Hadlock posted:

Grafana natively supports AWS cloudwatch as a datasource out of the box, all it needs is a read-only billing IAM key to get started. We have it on our main monitoring display and it's nice to have a visual representation of how much you spent last month vs your rate of spend this month.

We're moving pretty rapidly in to AWS from bare metal world and it's easy to leave extra poo poo on, or over-provision. We jumped from ~$7K spend to $14K spend and were able to dial it back by watching the graph. Boss man also likes it for budgeting as it demonstrates a pretty linear growth rate in the sawtooth of each month at the 6 month zoom level that the finance/budget/CFO guys like and gives everyone a pretty warm fuzzy that spending is under control

click to embiggen

https://grafana.com/dashboards/139

We do this as well, it works pretty well. We have a lovely Django App (TM) with some basic role based controls and Grafana/jquery views to visualize a given metric of a $PROJECT SDLC. Also pull this info and send daily slack broadcasts to the relevant channel, so teams as well as finance folk have a good sense of what is running, cost, etc. This, combined with tags (we support 3 "tiers" of environment) to keep instances limited on a per $PROJECT basis, along with keeping terraform tied to the account keys, we are able to keep costs relatively well policed. Visibility is everything.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

xpander posted:

The bottom line is that you need to have those policies reflected by automation/code or else they aren't worth a hill of beans. Anything not enforced in this way leads to keys on Github and $68k miner happy hour. Not only that, but self-service avenues mean that you can make it easier for teams to adopt those methods, which reduces the burden on your ops team to provision resources and gives them more time to roll out cool stuff like this.

This is what I've been building; We have a small cluster of services dedicated to governance; one will scan and make sure everyone has a budget/those that do are respecting a budget, resources that don't follow specific tags are trashed. We have also started to branch into open source and every repository that wants to be OSed will soon be scanned for things that match our internal DNS entries, things that look like AWS access keys, personally identifiable information etc. and if it flags up the project is denied ascension to GitHub.

Account & VPC creation is automatic and will add a master read only IAM role which allows all this, any accounts that fail the basic "can I read your poo poo" sniff test get flagged to their managers.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m going to stop making GBS threads up the Working in IT thread with Docker stuff so I can poo poo it up with other topics. I’ve been doing some beginner tutorials at work, but I want to set something up at home. My desktop can sometimes be inconvenient to work from by virtue of being loving gigantic and stuck in one place. I want to set up a MEAN stack CRUD application, and it seems like being able to VPN into it from my laptop would be good. Here’s what I’m thinking I’ll need:

Container running VPN software of my choice.

Container running Mongodb.

Container running Express.

Container running Angular 2.

All of this on a Linux VM.

What am I missing?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m going to stop making GBS threads up the Working in IT thread with Docker stuff so I can poo poo it up with other topics. I’ve been doing some beginner tutorials at work, but I want to set something up at home. My desktop can sometimes be inconvenient to work from by virtue of being loving gigantic and stuck in one place. I want to set up a MEAN stack CRUD application, and it seems like being able to VPN into it from my laptop would be good. Here’s what I’m thinking I’ll need:

What am I missing?

I don't understand what problem you're trying to solve.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

New Yorp New Yorp posted:

devops.py

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What am I missing?

I wouldn't do a VPN in a container. For your use case, I wouldn't bother with a VPN at all. Just set up SSH on your linux vm.

I would also look into Docker Compose, which will allow you to define all of your containers, their network and storage in one configuration file.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The problem is I have a lovely job and there’s a job posted for an entry level SRE at a place that uses Docker, Kubernetes, and Terraform. They also don’t require a BS like most jobs around here do.

I’m trying to do a project that gives me a bit of real experience rather than just tutorials. Otherwise I would just run stuff by itself on my Windows machine.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

What am I missing?
Angular is a frontend framework. Where is a container involved here?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I’m a dumbass with no experience in web dev and am trying to figure this out as I go.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jul 27, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Vulture Culture posted:

Angular is a frontend framework. Where is a container involved here?

Run firefox in a container and expose it to the user

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Get a linux academy subscription and run through some of their labs. It launches real containers in aws on their dime and you can get guided hands-on experience which it seems like you need because you aren't experienced enough yet to even ask the right questions.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Should be ngninx but MENN isnt a cool acronym

E: unless it's raining

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Anyone here automating GitLab repo and Jenkins project creation? I've had a look around and can see a number of options but unsure if there's a recomended method that I might have overlooked.

Cancelbot
Nov 22, 2006

Canceling spam since 1928

cheese-cube posted:

Anyone here automating GitLab repo and Jenkins project creation? I've had a look around and can see a number of options but unsure if there's a recomended method that I might have overlooked.

Almost the same, different tech; BitBucket and TeamCity. We have an API key for each service, then use code to request a repository, then create a TeamCity project and tie the two together. Hopefully extending it with templates soon. If you're using a high level language then its only 10-20 lines of code.

We've also been looking at Terraforming it all but I've checked and there's no Jenkins provider :(

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Cancelbot posted:

Almost the same, different tech; BitBucket and TeamCity. We have an API key for each service, then use code to request a repository, then create a TeamCity project and tie the two together. Hopefully extending it with templates soon. If you're using a high level language then its only 10-20 lines of code.

Yeah see that's exactly what we're hoping to do however it certainly isn't that simple when working with Jenkins (Several pages ago I spoke in favour of Jenkins saying that it was OK however I'd like to retract that opinion and say that those who replied in the negative are correct :lol:).

To complicate matters we've got a lot of technical debt due to things being rushed and this is coming to the surface now that we're trying to implement proper process in GitLab. We have components in dev that don't have repos in GitLab and for those that do have repos half of them either don't have a Jenkinsfile, don't have the integration webhook for Jenkins configured on the repo, don't have a Jenkins project or have the wrong build trigger configuration.

So yeah any Jenkins specific pointers would be much appreciated.

Edit: thanks Methanar, I certainly learned that the hard way! vvv

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Jul 27, 2018

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

cheese-cube posted:

Yeah see that's exactly what we're hoping to do however it certainly isn't that simple when working with Jenkins (Several pages ago I spoke in favour of Jenkins saying that it was OK however I'd like to retract that opinion and say that those who replied in the negative are correct :lol:).

Methanar 3 weeks ago posted:

Report back in 4 months for how you feel about Jenkins

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I’m a dumbass with no experience in web dev and am trying to figure this out as I go.
Best of luck with it—your gung-ho fearlessness getting this stuff going is kinda inspiring

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

It's concept overload. Trying to learn 9 different new things at once is guaranteed to end in failure. Choose one or two of those new things you're unfamiliar with and learn about them in isolation. You don't have to become an expert, just comfortable.

If you don't know anything about web dev, combining "not knowing anything about web dev" with "totally unfamiliar development environment and deployment toolchain" is a terrible idea.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

It’s a combination of enthusiasm and a long history of biting off way more than I can chew. Also a need to get the gently caress out of my current job and knowing how much demand vs supply there is right now.

It occurred to me last night I should probably do something less ambitious at first. I’m spending lunch and breaks at work going through tutorials for now.

I was also under the mistaken impression that Docker only worked on Linux, but there’s a version for Windows so I don’t know if I was reading it wrong or just had old information.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I was also under the mistaken impression that Docker only worked on Linux, but there’s a version for Windows so I don’t know if I was reading it wrong or just had old information.

Not only does Docker work on Windows, but it can run Linux containers.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Kubernetes on Windows, on the other hand, is a nuisance. Joining nodes to the cluster works but every K8s add-on I download (the latest being VCP) assumes all nodes are Linux and spreads nonsense around, forcing me to edit the deployments or daemonsets they create to add OS filters.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well that sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Are there generally recommended starter Docker projects? Since I should probably wait until I get Docker and maybe k8s before doing something else new on it. I’d like to mess with mongodb if possible too, learn the basic differences between that and SQL.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Are there generally recommended starter Docker projects? Since I should probably wait until I get Docker and maybe k8s before doing something else new on it. I’d like to mess with mongodb if possible too, learn the basic differences between that and SQL.

https://university.mongodb.com

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If Prometheus/Grafana is the open source monitoring solution

What is the log management equivalent these days

Bonus points if there's already a helm chart for it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

22 Eargesplitten posted:

You don't actually need to containerize your entire application. You could very easily just get a mongodb container, start running that on it's own, get it working with your app, and then expand as you feel comfortable.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Hadlock posted:

Graylog?

I don't know about a helm chart, but there are official docs for docker compose.

Docker compose
Helm chart

The Fool fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jul 27, 2018

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
I think ELK/EFK is pretty widespread, no?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

You don't actually need to containerize your entire application. You could very easily just get a mongodb container, start running that on it's own, get it working with your app, and then expand as you feel comfortable.

Thing is I don’t actually have an app yet.

I could try containerizing a Java project I have on my github already, I guess? There’s also a C# Unity project, but that isn’t playable yet because my enemies keep running into walls and getting stuck between each other. Which is a shame, because with my limited level of knowing what I’m doing I feel like there’s more aspects to containerize in a Unity program than a small Java app.

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Thing is I don’t actually have an app yet.

I could try containerizing a Java project I have on my github already, I guess? There’s also a C# Unity project, but that isn’t playable yet because my enemies keep running into walls and getting stuck between each other. Which is a shame, because with my limited level of knowing what I’m doing I feel like there’s more aspects to containerize in a Unity program than a small Java app.

You're not going to be containerizing a Unity app, or any other desktop app. You should start by reading what containers are and what they're for.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Now containerizing Unity itself for building a project upon commit as part of a CI/CD setup, then you’ve got yourself a use case.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

You're not going to be containerizing a Unity app, or any other desktop app. You should start by reading what containers are and what they're for.
Jessie Frazelle disagrees

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah people are putting GUI apps in containers now, its a thing. This is basically what "Snaps" are in the ubuntu world. X11 apps are especially easy. Just because it isn't the original purpose doesn't mean it's bad. We have a webapp, vault-ui that provides a front end for our vault server, it's pretty cool.

Ploft-shell crab posted:

I think ELK/EFK is pretty widespread, no?

I think our biggest problem with Kibana is that the LDAP login-plugin is like $1600 a year, and there are no free alternatives. Right now we have a rudimentary graylog2 install (which does support LDAP) but graylog3 is going to come out soon and I think GL2 uses an older version of elasticsearch. Looking for a better alternative.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

I think our biggest problem with Kibana is that the LDAP login-plugin is like $1600 a year, and there are no free alternatives. Right now we have a rudimentary graylog2 install (which does support LDAP) but graylog3 is going to come out soon and I think GL2 uses an older version of elasticsearch. Looking for a better alternative.
Do you need index-specific permissions? You can front your cluster with something like Nginx doing HTTP Basic against LDAP authn/authz with two dozen lines of config.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Vulture Culture posted:

Do you need index-specific permissions? You can front your cluster with something like Nginx doing HTTP Basic against LDAP authn/authz with two dozen lines of config.

Yep, that's what we do. It has led to people going into the admin configs and screwing things up, thinking they are changing settings applicable for just their own session. But my company is never going to pay for the licenses to get all the bells and whistles, so this is good enough.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

cheese-cube posted:

Check out Jenkins Job Builder. We mostly use Jenkins for deploys these days, and let Gitlab handle builds.

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Hadlock posted:

Looked at distributed tracing? OpenTracing and Jaeger?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

uncurable mlady posted:

Looked at distributed tracing? OpenTracing and Jaeger?

My boss is wet to start using Jaeger, but we're nowhere near operationally mature enough to even start contemplating it. Hopefully we do our next raise soon and we can afford to get another senior guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Hadlock posted:

My boss is wet to start using Jaeger, but we're nowhere near operationally mature enough to even start contemplating it. Hopefully we do our next raise soon and we can afford to get another senior guy.
If your big problem around distributed tracing is context propagation (it's ours for sure), consider OpenCensus instead of trying to deal with OpenTracing directly