Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

My instructor suggested that I pick a headset based on

1. comfort
2. noise reduction
3. price

in that order and he was right. I tried on headsets from a variety of different manufacturers and found that David Clarks fit my head and ears the best. They also had the best passive noise reduction of the models I tried (couple of DCs, couple of Lightspeeds, a Bose, and some cheaper brands), which I liked a lot because I spend a lot of time in a machine shop and ride a motorcycle so I'm a bit anal about protecting my hearing. Once it's gone, it's gone.

I scoured eBay for a while and found a used pair of 13Xs -- the 13.4 with electronic noise cancelling, basically -- and IMO it was absolutely worth the extra couple hundred for the electronics. Less noise means less stress, and it makes it significantly easier to use the radio, which is incredibly valuable. If my ears didn't stick out, I would probably have gone with the Pro-X.

David Clark also has some kind of phenomenal lifetime service warranty where you can send your headset to Massachusetts and for the price of return shipping they'll replace everything that can be replaced. That's what had (reportedly) been done to mine before I bought it and it looked brand new.

I also got a kneeboard with a nylon trifold cover and that's nice because I can have a notepad, a checklist, a folded-up chart, and radio frequency cheatsheet all visible at once. No iPad yet.

e: don't buy without trying them on but this is a superb deal on the same headset I got, almost $150 less than I paid. You'll need a different plug (I believe that is a helicopter one) but as you can see they're interchangeable and DC sells the spares.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/David-Clar...ksid=m570.l1313

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005
That's a good set of criteria to use.

I got a David Clark H10 when I started flying, and that got me through all of my training, 2000hrs of flight instructing, and about two years in the right seat of a Q400, with nothing but occasional mic cover replacements and a set of ear seals, although I did need to get one of the plugs replaced (for $20 at a local stereo repair place) when the internal wiring apparently frayed after being used for almost a decade.

Once I started making slightly better money, I upgraded to a Bose A20, and while it's lighter and less "clampy" than the DC headset, I do miss the fact that David Clark builds their headsets to be able to survive abuse, which Bose clearly doesn't.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Sagebrush posted:

You'll need a different plug (I believe that is a helicopter one) but as you can see they're interchangeable and DC sells the spares.

Anyone in here know why the hell this is? I can not seem to come up with a reason that helicopters use a different interphone jack standard, but here we are.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Sagebrush posted:

So why are they delivering so few? Just because there are no pilots, or because they're so expensive?

:thunk:

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
So standard of living or "real" purchasing power improved 20% since the 60s... That seems pretty good to me? Certainly doesn't answer the question that was posed in any way.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Jul 26, 2018

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Well, it shows that American salaries, when corrected for purchasing power, have not kept up with the growth of the economy (which has gotten much much more than 20% larger since the 1960s). It's hard to notice this when you just compare the nominal growth, because you hear that a teacher in 1960 was making $3,000 a year or whatever and think man it's much better today. So the country has gotten richer, but the money is getting concentrated somewhere other than in the hands of the average person.

But we already knew that.

[img-mark-zuckerberg.jpg]

To bring this back to aviation, I was looking the other day at the landing fees for Moffett Field, the NASA airfield that Google has no bought a big chunk of to do their founders' vanity projects like giant blimps or whatever. When NASA owned it, the field was just closed to non-governmental use, but Google has opened it up to certain classes of civilian aircraft. Their approved airframes are some medium airliners, a whole pile of corporate business jets...and one particular manufacturer's piston-engine singles. Can you guess which one??

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jul 26, 2018

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

This isn't accurate. There are lies, drat lies, and CPI over long time scales.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Anyone know where I can find one of those minimalist tube earpiece headsets? Our plane has a set and they’re awesome for long legs, but I want my own pair now and every brand I know of is discontinued.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero
You mean something like https://www.clarityaloft.com ?

cigaw
Sep 13, 2012
Bose also has an in-ear option.

Seems less minimalist than the Clarity Aloft ones, but has Bluetooth and ANR.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Rolo posted:

Anyone know where I can find one of those minimalist tube earpiece headsets? Our plane has a set and they’re awesome for long legs, but I want my own pair now and every brand I know of is discontinued.

You say tube headset and my brain goes straight to Gosport.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Mortabis posted:

This isn't accurate. There are lies, drat lies, and CPI over long time scales.

sorry i posted the wrong graph, i'll find the correct one tomorrow if you want

the tl;dr though is, wages adjusted for inflation have been stagnating since the 70s, but since poo poo like rents, education and healthcare have been rising faster than inflation, people get to spend the majority of their paychecks on those things, and the middle class is disappearing.

purchasing power is totes better now, though, because I can buy a 4k tv for fifty bux. :v:

simble
May 11, 2004

Rolo posted:

Look up Quiet Technologies halos. I tried some today at their booth at AirVenture and they seem pretty good. Some other goons also like them a lot.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck

simble posted:

Look up Quiet Technologies halos. I tried some today at their booth at AirVenture and they seem pretty good. Some other goons also like them a lot.

Love mine. Especially in the heat, it's nice not having all that additional frame and earmuff material.

AWSEFT
Apr 28, 2006

Spirit, Allegiant, SilverWings, Southwest, Jetblue, American, Envoy, Republic, Tradewinds all base in FL

AWSEFT fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Mar 20, 2019

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
Hey question for you pilots flying commercial jets, for larger airlines. Are you encouraged, if possible, to alter routes for turbulence, or is it something left more to your own discretion? I recently had my westjet flight take us through a tstorm that seemed from my perspective avoidable, and for a motion sick dude it really sucked. We had the type of turbelence that sent everyone's drinks and stuff all over the place. My friend flies for a regional airline in Asia and he told me he hates the inconvenience of flying around storms so most of the time he flies through them. He's an a-hole though.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit
Encouraged yes, required no, it’s just as bumpy and annoying for us in the cockpit so we typically will try to avoid it. Enroute it’s easy to deviate, but once you start getting in the terminal area it can be difficult to avoid because there’s only so many ways to get to the airport.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Are the standards for flying through/around thunderstorms different in other countries? Supercells with powerful down bursts that can knock a plane out of the sky are not as common outside the US

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Hey question for you pilots flying commercial jets, for larger airlines. Are you encouraged, if possible, to alter routes for turbulence, or is it something left more to your own discretion? I recently had my westjet flight take us through a tstorm that seemed from my perspective avoidable, and for a motion sick dude it really sucked. We had the type of turbelence that sent everyone's drinks and stuff all over the place. My friend flies for a regional airline in Asia and he told me he hates the inconvenience of flying around storms so most of the time he flies through them. He's an a-hole though.

Was it in the cruise portion of the flight, or closer to takeoff/landing? I was flying the other day while storms were "in the area" and a bunch of airliners on approach to YYC were complaining about moderate turbulence on approach. There wasn't really much to be done to avoid it though, short of "wait an hour or two to land" which is undesirable for obvious reasons.

Perfect day to put my student under the hood and work on instrument flying for the first time! :v: (he actually did amazingly well)

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

PT6A posted:

Was it in the cruise portion of the flight, or closer to takeoff/landing? I was flying the other day while storms were "in the area" and a bunch of airliners on approach to YYC were complaining about moderate turbulence on approach. There wasn't really much to be done to avoid it though, short of "wait an hour or two to land" which is undesirable for obvious reasons.

Perfect day to put my student under the hood and work on instrument flying for the first time! :v: (he actually did amazingly well)

Haha it was while flying to Calgary actually, the really bad stuff was an hour from approach, so maybe that was the reason. Close to the airport is was definitely very bumpy as well, but not the drops that make you feel weightless for a second. If I were to categorize the turbulence, it was more than moderate, but I'm a wimp.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

Are the standards for flying through/around thunderstorms

Does the airplane have American or Delta painted on the side?

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Does the airplane have American or Delta painted on the side?

At least the US aviation industry stopped going anywhere near thunderstorms after those two crashes.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

hobbesmaster posted:

At least the US aviation industry stopped going anywhere near thunderstorms after those two crashes.

lol I wish

Every day in the summer here is a crapshoot of “who’s going to get a FA or passenger thrown against the header because a UPS 767 said there was just moderate chop through that three mile gap in a thunderstorm.”

Delta and American go the opposite route of going seventy miles around anything at all, playing merry hell with all the same flight crews and controllers in the area.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Haha it was while flying to Calgary actually, the really bad stuff was an hour from approach, so maybe that was the reason. Close to the airport is was definitely very bumpy as well, but not the drops that make you feel weightless for a second. If I were to categorize the turbulence, it was more than moderate, but I'm a wimp.

Yeah I've had a few of those big bumps this week :v: I figured it was probably Calgary, given you mentioned Westjet and we've been getting late-afternoon thunderstorms pretty consistently lately. Part of the problem with trying to fly around them is they have typically extend quite far north and south, so you'd be going quite far out of your way to avoid any moderate turbulence.

Moderate turbulence in aviation-speak is basically "unsecured objects are dislodged, significant variations in airspeed" and severe turbulence is "aircraft is at least momentarily out of control" -- in essence, moderate turbulence is uncomfortable to passengers and crew, severe turbulence is an actual danger to them and the aircraft.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Well, it shows that American salaries, when corrected for purchasing power, have not kept up with the growth of the economy (which has gotten much much more than 20% larger since the 1960s). It's hard to notice this when you just compare the nominal growth, because you hear that a teacher in 1960 was making $3,000 a year or whatever and think man it's much better today. So the country has gotten richer, but the money is getting concentrated somewhere other than in the hands of the average person.

But we already knew that.

[img-mark-zuckerberg.jpg]

To bring this back to aviation, I was looking the other day at the landing fees for Moffett Field, the NASA airfield that Google has no bought a big chunk of to do their founders' vanity projects like giant blimps or whatever. When NASA owned it, the field was just closed to non-governmental use, but Google has opened it up to certain classes of civilian aircraft. Their approved airframes are some medium airliners, a whole pile of corporate business jets...and one particular manufacturer's piston-engine singles. Can you guess which one??

Cirrus? Not sure what you’re getting at, does google own part of a piston company?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Things that students do which really loving piss me off, version.... whatever: repeated cancellations on short notice but just outside the period for which we can charge a no-show, with no stated reason, and without texting me first.

I don't give a poo poo if you realize you can't fly at a specific time for whatever reason, I get that poo poo comes up, but when it's happening every week and I don't hear about any sort of actual reason, it makes me suspect you just don't give a gently caress. We have a waiting list of 200 students looking for training right now, maybe one of them would like to take your spot until such time as you learn how not to be a flake.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

PT6A posted:

Things that students do which really loving piss me off, version.... whatever: repeated cancellations on short notice but just outside the period for which we can charge a no-show, with no stated reason, and without texting me first.

I don't give a poo poo if you realize you can't fly at a specific time for whatever reason, I get that poo poo comes up, but when it's happening every week and I don't hear about any sort of actual reason, it makes me suspect you just don't give a gently caress. We have a waiting list of 200 students looking for training right now, maybe one of them would like to take your spot until such time as you learn how not to be a flake.

I worked at a flight school with a chief pilot that would put his foot down and verbally kick students’ asses if he thought their carelessness was affecting the instructor’s quality of life. He was so awesome.

I’ve also been at schools where nobody cares and guess what, they have a high turnover.

E: also thanks for the minimalist headset recommendations, everyone!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Prefect Six posted:

Cirrus? Not sure what you’re getting at, does google own part of a piston company?

Yeah, the only piston-engine planes they allow are Cirruses.

Maybe it's just a Bay Area thing, but around here a Cirrus has replaced the Bonanza as the stereotypical plane owned by a newly rich person with more money than time or flying skills. Although Moffett is clearly capable of handling any light GA plane, Google has chosen to keep out the riffraff by restricting operations to the one kind of plane their well-off employees are likely to buy.

It's as if they bought a gas station on the highway next to their campus for their employees' convenience, but only let you fill up if you're driving a Porsche.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004
Narrowing down the job hunt, anyone here know anybody at IFL or Royal Air in Michigan?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, the only piston-engine planes they allow are Cirruses.

Maybe it's just a Bay Area thing, but around here a Cirrus has replaced the Bonanza as the stereotypical plane owned by a newly rich person with more money than time or flying skills. Although Moffett is clearly capable of handling any light GA plane, Google has chosen to keep out the riffraff by restricting operations to the one kind of plane their well-off employees are likely to buy.

It's as if they bought a gas station on the highway next to their campus for their employees' convenience, but only let you fill up if you're driving a Porsche.

But only if the highway in question was Porsche’s private test track. Moffett is a private airfield; you can’t land there without prior permission regardless of aircraft type. There were efforts to make Moffett a public airport back in the 90s but local residents killed that idea for fear of heavy cargo aircraft usage.

Minclark
Dec 24, 2013
aviation megathread cleared for hire

https://www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/506307400

If you are under 30, a us citizen, like math and are looking to trade your soul for a pension click the above link

Be sure to note pilots go to school to listen to you talk all day.

Closes on the 31st hurry!

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

two_beer_bishes posted:

Narrowing down the job hunt, anyone here know anybody at IFL or Royal Air in Michigan?

Run far loving away.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Oops.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

What's the story?

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

sleepy gary posted:

What's the story?

The 767 is a long airplane, so if the nose is just allowed to drop on landing instead of being "flown on", it can pick up enough momentum to hit the runway with sufficient force to do that kind of damage.

azflyboy fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 29, 2018

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
You can crack and airplane like that from just a hard landing?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Had an, um, interesting student today. He's a PPL student at around 110 hours and change, still lacks what I would call basic radio proficiency, and drat near threw a tantrum about having to switch planes (it's an annoyance, but, let's face it: it's going to happen from time to time). He's flying no more than once a week, and bitching about all the money he's spent so far. His basic airmanship is Not Good, as in, rotating at 10 knots above the designated speed, slightly off to the side on the runway. He couldn't figure out how to add 0.7 airtime to total time on the airframe... with a calculator.

I'm gonna tell the CFI to have a come-to-Jesus talk with him, because I honestly don't think he has it in him to be a pilot. Not PPL, certainly not CPL. I'm his fourth instructor at this school, which is his second school, and he has a reputation of being a difficult student (gee, I wonder why...) I don't think we should continue to take his money, because at some point it's basically just scamming the poor fucker.

EDIT: On the plus side, he's the one who's cancelled on short notice two weeks in a row and now I'm okay with that, so, you know, small victories!

PT6A fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Jul 29, 2018

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Yes.

From what I heard they landed nose wheel first somehow.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

A big heavy jet totally if you land flat and hard or if you don’t “fly the nose to the ground”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Arson Daily posted:

Run far loving away.

Well gently caress. Are they dangerous or will I just be working my as off?