Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Dewgy posted:

But it’s free play!

And... never, ever, ever occupied. The only person I saw even touching that thing today was me.

Just watch this if you really want to know what Tattoo Assassins was like.

doingitwrong posted:

I haven’t thought about or visited The Escapist in a long time, so out of curiosity I took a look. Their front page features a goodbye column from September 2017? It looks like the whole site is just Yahtzee content? Weird.

The Escapist has been dying a long, slow death for a while now. I remember when they started hemmoraging video producers left and right. They used to have a pretty healthy stable of original web series but now it's pretty much all Yhatzee all the time.

MechanicalTomPetty fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rarity posted:

All the NPCs on Shivering Isles are absolutely nuts. This is delightful :allears:

shivering isles is probably one of my favorite games ever

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Taiko!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ahYYZCjLXss

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The Humble Monthly got me again, ugh.

I hope the other games in the bundle are all right

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

theyre selling a drum peripheral hopefully. pretty awesome!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
does sa games have a discord?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The Humble Monthly got me again, ugh.

I hope the other games in the bundle are all right
I wish there was a way for me to distribute my monthly fee to specific developers so I could specifically route money AWAY from the hat in time dev

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

What'd they do

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Help Im Alive posted:

What'd they do

Jontron drama

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a hat in time plays fine but you've got that and the lead dev having a history of being pretty lovely himself on earlier projects and then the final boss randomly pulls a really weird moral out of its rear end that i could only really read as the developers saying gently caress you to anyone who judges them for that stuff cause it sure doesn't mean anything in the face of the entire rest of the game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

I played up until the 4th world of hat in time. Its ok but its not a polished experience. I went straight back to odyssey despite having 999 moons already

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you hit world 4 then you saw all the best the game had to offer lol

the best part of ahit is how it builds off of super mario sunshine's structure to give world 2 and 3 their own little storylines, world 1 kind of has that but it's also clearly full of stuff made very early in development and world 4 ran at like 15fps on my pc most of the time. but anyway if you want that kind of storytelling odyssey, does it a lot better anyway so it's no huge loss

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jul 27, 2018

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Just a few days ago Star Ruler 2 and it's engine were made open source (the engine/data is MIT license, the assets are CC-BY-NC 2.0) (This link will take you right to it)

That means if you'd like to play SR2 for free all you'd need do is just go grab a copy of Visual Studio and compile it; instructions are included on the Github page and a link to the Rising Stars Discord'll put you in spitting distance of folk who can help you out should things go tits-up (for the most part it should compile and run just fine though; this is a polished, high-performance, modern and well-structured engine we're putting out -- not a barely-working mess, promise)

Star Ruler 2 is a Space 4X/RTS that's running on an engine we hand-built which is both super-flexible and super-fast. If you're a game developer who's been waiting for somebody to put out an open source engine which can do the mass-scale sorts of battle you could previously only find in proprietary closed-source engines like Total War this might be your golden ticket. Heck, if you just want to sink your teeth into a super-fast engine for your next game, you might want to consider using StarFlare. If you just want to steal our weapons-targeting code, multiplayer architecture, real-time shader recompiler, or galaxy generation from-image stuff, go nuts. If your interest is finding all the commented portions of code where we cuss and hurl keyboards at walls, beg forgiveness for the sins of unoptimized or ill-performant code, and so forth, feel free.

The engine itself is mostly coded in C++ and the script files for SR2 (and the included script-compiler which JITs scripts into as close to native-code-speed as we could push it and is also, itself, open source) are AngelScript (it uses AngelCode, which is C++ like and fast).

Anyway, just wanted to bring it up in case y'all hadn't heard already. Thanks to everyone who participated in the SA Star Ruler 2 thread, by the way - even though our studio didn't last, it was still pretty drat fun hanging out with y'all about SR1 and SR2 and really trying to build a game which broke new ground. If y'all want to bombard me with questions about whatever and goonsays as well feel free (I've probably earned a few with this loving huge block of text). I'll also be posting this in Ask Game Developers so don't worry that you're having a stroke if you head over there and see this post more or less again (thanks to VideoGames for allowing this cross-post)

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

And the dev doxxed people when they were a TF2 mapper on top of stealing people's art

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
a hat in time looked really cute and fun at the gdqs it appeared in, but i can't really complain about a good excuse to cross a game off the big list

edit: i write good

Looper fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jul 27, 2018

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Its very cute but kinda feels assy imo

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a hat in time simultaneously has a cute aesthetic and makes literally everyone in its world a loving vile murderous jackass including the player and has an entire extended sequence where you have to run away from an ancient ghost that literally murders people lol. like world 3 is an entire world of the developers looking at the goofy demon chests from paper mario ttyd and saying "what if these were genuinely threatening"

the only part of the game where the basic npcs don't eventually try to murder you is world 4

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

The Colonel posted:

a hat in time simultaneously has a cute aesthetic and makes literally everyone in its world a loving vile murderous jackass including the player and has an entire extended sequence where you have to run away from an ancient ghost that literally murders people lol. like world 3 is an entire world of the developers looking at the goofy demon chests from paper mario ttyd and saying "what if these were genuinely threatening"

the only part of the game where the basic npcs don't eventually try to murder you is world 4

that sounds really unpleasant actually

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Looper posted:

that sounds really unpleasant actually

It's really not. Every thing in the game is trying to murder you in the same sense that everyone in Mario is trying to murder you. It's a video game...that's kind of how most of them are.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if only you could talk to the goombas

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Hat in Time does have kind of a weird mismatch between the cutesy art and kind of unpleasant story. Up until the final boss the story is unpleasant in like a good way? Like I wouldn't want to be a character in it but it was fine to read about. Then the final boss is you inexplicably teaming up with the villains of the previous worlds to bully a little girl and it was deeply unpleasant to even read.

The gameplay is good but probably could have used another six months of development. It really feels like they set out to make one game then after making one world realized they wanted to make a different game and that's what the rest is. It was a good call; world one is the weakest by far but it does feel kind of jarring

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

*reappears like a spooky ghost after disappearing a few days ago*

Everyone please give NMS another chance, the NEXT update is basically a new game and it's really good and immersive and i can't stop and it's $30 on steam for the rest of the day i think

*fades away, too addicted to do anything but play*

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

i never gave it a first chance, beaten on a technicality

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i have to say aside from the jontron connection this thread is the first time i've encountered negative criticism of a hat in time (albeit i haven't been paying attention that closely). i was under the impression the general internet consensus was "did you want yooka-laylee to be good and not bad? play hat in time!"

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

i have to say aside from the jontron connection this thread is pretty much the first time i've encountered negative criticism of a hat in time (albeit i haven't been paying attention that closely). i was under the impression the general internet consensus was "did you want yooka-laylee to be good and not bad? play hat in time!"

It's good. My post was kinda negative because I was following up on someone else's criticism but in balance I like it and thought it was a cute, fun game

except the ending, which is neither cute nor fun

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

This is really cool! I'm gonna take a look when I get home. Thanks for sharing!

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
A Hat in Time is an uncomfortable place where it got a ton of hype because it destroyed the other big kickstarted platformer that preceded it but then had to later be compared with Super Mario Odyssey, which it compares far less favorably to and much of the residual hype for obvious reasons doesn't take that into account.

Still, it's a fun little creative slightly janky platformer that will probably end up being a better Psychonauts 2 than whatever comes out of that kickstarter.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Last Tinker: City of Colors is a cute platformer where hardly any of the characters or developers is a sociopath

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

A lot of the Hat in Time drama is because the dev and some other dude have been sniping at each other for literally years and they were banned from Facepunch over it iirc

A grudge so deep even dwarves would be jealous.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Firgof posted:

Just a few days ago Star Ruler 2 and it's engine were made open source (the engine/data is MIT license, the assets are CC-BY-NC 2.0) (This link will take you right to it)

That means if you'd like to play SR2 for free all you'd need do is just go grab a copy of Visual Studio and compile it; instructions are included on the Github page and a link to the Rising Stars Discord'll put you in spitting distance of folk who can help you out should things go tits-up (for the most part it should compile and run just fine though; this is a polished, high-performance, modern and well-structured engine we're putting out -- not a barely-working mess, promise)

Star Ruler 2 is a Space 4X/RTS that's running on an engine we hand-built which is both super-flexible and super-fast. If you're a game developer who's been waiting for somebody to put out an open source engine which can do the mass-scale sorts of battle you could previously only find in proprietary closed-source engines like Total War this might be your golden ticket. Heck, if you just want to sink your teeth into a super-fast engine for your next game, you might want to consider using StarFlare. If you just want to steal our weapons-targeting code, multiplayer architecture, real-time shader recompiler, or galaxy generation from-image stuff, go nuts. If your interest is finding all the commented portions of code where we cuss and hurl keyboards at walls, beg forgiveness for the sins of unoptimized or ill-performant code, and so forth, feel free.

The engine itself is mostly coded in C++ and the script files for SR2 (and the included script-compiler which JITs scripts into as close to native-code-speed as we could push it and is also, itself, open source) are AngelScript (it uses AngelCode, which is C++ like and fast).

Anyway, just wanted to bring it up in case y'all hadn't heard already. Thanks to everyone who participated in the SA Star Ruler 2 thread, by the way - even though our studio didn't last, it was still pretty drat fun hanging out with y'all about SR1 and SR2 and really trying to build a game which broke new ground. If y'all want to bombard me with questions about whatever and goonsays as well feel free (I've probably earned a few with this loving huge block of text). I'll also be posting this in Ask Game Developers so don't worry that you're having a stroke if you head over there and see this post more or less again (thanks to VideoGames for allowing this cross-post)

Super cool. If I was in my 20's and trying to make it as a game dev, I'd bite right into this. I'm sure there are people here who will. Maybe that guy who tried to write Terraria in a single function as his first major project...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think as a game a hat in time is worth the like 12 bucks it costs in the humble monthly but, it ends on one of the weirdest notes ever and that's kind of left a permanent mark on my opinion of it

tbh i also have complaints about world 2 because i feel like, having the big choice poo poo in that chapter, and just making it ultimately decide which character is secretly a complete psychopath and which is your true supportive friend, is really weird and it makes it only really work for one playthrough while not actually adding much in the system's existence. if the point was that they're both insane psychopaths, well, there's probably a better way to handle that then to have a system that just swaps their roles entirely and makes one of them unambiguously your friend

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jul 27, 2018

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

*reappears like a spooky ghost after disappearing a few days ago*

Everyone please give NMS another chance, the NEXT update is basically a new game and it's really good and immersive and i can't stop and it's $30 on steam for the rest of the day i think

*fades away, too addicted to do anything but play*

No.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean i considered the idea but if the temptation gets really strong i'll probably just reinstall elite dangerous

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

LawfulWaffle posted:

This is really cool! I'm gonna take a look when I get home. Thanks for sharing!

Sweet! I look forward to meeting you in the Discord.

bloodychill posted:

Super cool. If I was in my 20's and trying to make it as a game dev, I'd bite right into this. I'm sure there are people here who will. Maybe that guy who tried to write Terraria in a single function as his first major project...

It's my hope this'll also find its way to other 4X/RTS developers in hopes it will help them with their own games and engines as well as hobbyists. Maybe I'm dreaming too big but I'd like for 4X Diplomacy in general to just start switching over to the diplomacy system we put together here. It's just more fun and flavorful than the boring, stale, MoO/Civ diplomacy model the genre's been stuck with for the last 10-20 years. Also doesn't break down in multiplayer contexts - heck, it enhances them!

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Today was rough. Annoying poo poo happened at my appointments today so I ended up having to stick around for a few extra hours than necessary. I'm home now though so I'm gonna probably fall asleep soon.

There's this goon-made tabletop rpg called Gratuitous Anime Gimmick. I have the rules for it and I've wanted to run a game of it for a while now but I never actually got around to it, I've been thinking of rereading the setting and lore stuff again so I can come up with some kind of halfway decent campaign for some friends to play play-by-post style but I probably won't actually commit to it because I never finish any big project I try to commit to.

How's everybody else doing this Friday? Any plans for today or the weekend? Hopefully things are going well, or at the very least okay.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

FirstAidKite posted:

There's this goon-made tabletop rpg called Gratuitous Anime Gimmick. I have the rules for it and I've wanted to run a game of it for a while now but I never actually got around to it, I've been thinking of rereading the setting and lore stuff again so I can come up with some kind of halfway decent campaign for some friends to play play-by-post style but I probably won't actually commit to it because I never finish any big project I try to commit to.

Sounds like a perfect project to bring to TableTop Simulator.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

FirstAidKite posted:

Today was rough. Annoying poo poo happened at my appointments today so I ended up having to stick around for a few extra hours than necessary. I'm home now though so I'm gonna probably fall asleep soon.

How's everybody else doing this Friday? Any plans for today or the weekend? Hopefully things are going well, or at the very least okay.

Hi fak! This friday i am mad cause i got like a wart looking think on my gaming finger tip that showed up overnight and biting it isnt making it go away. Gonna bite harder. Check back with you later peace as always cool bro

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I can't think of any reason to use tabletop sim for it other than others seeing when I roll the dice to decide if they succeed or not

I already have a sorta vague idea of what I'd want the campaign to be, but I need to do some reading of the setting and actually put more thought into making a more concrete campaign rather than using my current idea in its current state since its current state is "I had this idea that would make for a neat gimmick but I don't have any ideas for executing the idea"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

the son of a bar friend of mine (mid twenties, not like a kid or anything) invited me to participate in my first ever tabletop gaming session tomorrow since they're starting a new campaign, so i've got that to look forward to/dread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suuma
Apr 2, 2009
I think I'd check out No Man's Sky if it weren't still $60 at two years old

e: i don't have any friends that play games I want to play so that isn't a selling point for me

• Locked thread