Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Most of the issues with CofD and WW is basically spin in order to frame WoD as the main product. In conversations and interviews with Martin he has expressed that CofD is perfect for making your own horror settings free of a unified metaplot. It also acts as a good sandbox for systems that can then be ported over to WoD.

The documentary is a glaringly bad piece. Since it utterly omits OPP. And paints the fall of WW due to Requiem etc. The documentary of course was trying to paint the picture that WW rose from the flames like a phoenix. It also paints WoD being the dream of one man, rather than really being a work of many and the choice of who to name "creator" is really more a technicality. In conversation with Martin and Tobias at WoD Berlin a year ago we made it very clear that this time round there is no excuse like bricks and mortar stores closing, or changes in book publishing, if V5 fails. And that if V5 sells well initially do not project future books to sell as well. The initial spike will be due to everyone being it just because of the words "Vampire" and "White Wolf", and there may be no intention from many of these people to buy future books or play. Their aim has to be a new demographic and to expand from there. I compared it to Age of Sigmar, since that really did turn around Warhammer fantasy sales, even if the most vocal complaints came from people who hardly bought anything anymore from GW.

dr_ether fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Archonex posted:

I am starting to wonder why the hell the old White Wolf franchises keep attracting so many horrible people though. At this point it's becoming a bit ridiculous.

The original white wolf reveled in transgression because very few companies at the time were willing to do so. It's how poo poo like Sasha Vykwhatever, Swastika McNaziBoobs, and the bathroom dildo blood thief got printed. First Edition Werewolf had actual honest to goodness Nazis as a major component of one of the Tribes. And it's probably the thing I'm fearing the most about nuWolf going forward. The Get of Fenris are a giant pile of oily rags, and Swedracula is a very eager match.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Kurieg posted:

And it's probably the thing I'm fearing the most about nuWolf going forward. The Get of Fenris are a giant pile of oily rags, and Swedracula is a very eager match.

About the only way this can go well is if their love of Order and Blood Purity causes them to fall to the Weaver and become new muscle for a villain faction.

Nazis being uncomfortable allies in the struggle to save Earth can gently caress right off.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The vision for werewolves in general was, quote, “crypto fascist ecoterrorists.”

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

dr_ether posted:

Most of the issues with CofD and WW is basically spin in order to frame WoD as the main product. In conversations and interviews with Martin he has expressed that CofD is perfect for making your own horror settings free of a unified metaplot. It also acts as a good sandbox for systems that can then be ported over to WoD.

The documentary is a glaringly bad piece. Since it utterly omits OPP. And paints the fall of WW due to Requiem etc. The documentary of course was trying to paint the picture that WW rose from the flames like a phoenix. It also paints WoD being the dream of one man, rather than really being a work of many and the choice of who to name "creator" is really more a technicality. In conversation with Martin and Tobias at WoD Berlin a year ago we made it very clear that this time round there is no excuse like bricks and mortar stores closing, or changes in book publishing, if V5 fails. And that if V5 sells well initially do not project future books to sell as well. The initial spike will be due to everyone being it just because of the words "Vampire" and "White Wolf", and there may be no intention from many of these people to buy future books or play. Their aim has to be a new demographic and to expand from there. I compared it to Age of Sigmar, since that really did turn around Warhammer fantasy sales, even if the most vocal complaints came from people who hardly bought anything anymore from GW.

I didn't watch the documentary. Did it give all credits to Dot Hagen? Because I can think of a hell of a lot of other people who were important to the oWoD. As well as the Ars Magica connection.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"slightly better mechanics but also a worse setting and meta-plot"

:laffo:

To be fair, the first edition main books were terrible. I hated nMage when it came out, because it seemed incredibly bland and boring. Now it's one of my favorite systems.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

OPP was ommitted. Rich Thomas never mentioned. The leading minds behind mage and werewolf never mentioned. WoD without those people is not WoD and just Vampire.

I don't really go in for the hero worship of MRH. Sure he had the ideas for Vampire, but it is more than one man's world building, and requires other minds to help steer the ship.

There is a fun moment when in the documentary when they are talking to a larper, and right behind her shoulder is the Seers of the Throne book. At the premier at Berlin I almost gave a loud cheer given how much this had been a lot of WW wank with no OPP mentioned.

I still need to grill Martin on "Requiem rules are design in a play to win manner". Which is funny given what is in V5.

If you listen to the DDR play through and know much about Requiem, you can see how I have built my Requiem Manchester setting years ago, and now just filed off the serial numbers.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Don't forget that MR*H was sort of fired for being impossible to work with/for.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lord_Hambrose posted:

About the only way this can go well is if their love of Order and Blood Purity causes them to fall to the Weaver and become new muscle for a villain faction.

Nazis being uncomfortable allies in the struggle to save Earth can gently caress right off.

Mostly the Nazi camp was just there for the Get to have a Nazi camp (because German, I guess) and for them to get purged in Revised because I don't think Ethan Skemp wanted a thing to do with them.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Get of Fenris went from being "We're totally not racists *Wink* It just so happens that all the people we hate are lazy blacks *Wink Wink*" in 1st edition to being hyper aggressive Minnesotan Hockey Parents(that really really hate Nazis) in Revised. "I don't care that you can't bench press a car you are going to go in there and you are going to WIN that spelling bee! You are going to crush them under the weight of your lexicographical knowledge!"

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

dr_ether posted:

The initial spike will be due to everyone being it just because of the words "Vampire" and "White Wolf", and there may be no intention from many of these people to buy future books or play. Their aim has to be a new demographic and to expand from there.

Emphasis mine, because this is the most important part, and why so many people are upset with the direction they've gone. They're ignoring where the world has gone since Masquerade was last the big vampire game in town and are clearly missing that bringing in new players is what will make or break their line.

Going and trying to be the spergiest sperg-lord on the roleplaying block doesn't strike me as what the next generation of gamers is going to go in for, and it will be a niche of people at best. Requiem is probably better suited at this time to bring in the next generation of gamers to the vampire thing. Just look at the difference between Ann Rice's line and Twilight books. Clearly, the next generation wants Edward and not Lestat (even if Rice is a better writer and creates a more interesting world). So write for the audience that exists, not the audience you wish exists.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

dr_ether posted:

OPP was ommitted. Rich Thomas never mentioned. The leading minds behind mage and werewolf never mentioned. WoD without those people is not WoD and just Vampire.

I don't really go in for the hero worship of MRH. Sure he had the ideas for Vampire, but it is more than one man's world building, and requires other minds to help steer the ship.

There is a fun moment when in the documentary when they are talking to a larper, and right behind her shoulder is the Seers of the Throne book. At the premier at Berlin I almost gave a loud cheer given how much this had been a lot of WW wank with no OPP mentioned.

I still need to grill Martin on "Requiem rules are design in a play to win manner". Which is funny given what is in V5.

If you listen to the DDR play through and know much about Requiem, you can see how I have built my Requiem Manchester setting years ago, and now just filed off the serial numbers.

The Wiecks are easily as important as MRH, and then there's Bruce Baugh, Grabowsky, Rich Dansky and later people like Justin Achilli, Greg Stolze, and I'm missing a ton here.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Fortunately the Vampire Chronicles TV series is in the works, so people will be more inclined for Vampires that are less Twilight like.

The demographic issue is a massive issue. You either make a new edition and players say "It hasn't changed enough... why should I buy this?" or you change it a lot like Requiem, and players will go "Whaaa.... you destroyed my game".

I don't envy trying to walk that line. And perhaps being brave, shaking up the setting, shaking up the rules, is the best approach. Now all of that combined with much more nuanced, less excitable puppy, approaches to writing and PR is important.

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Wiecks are easily as important as MRH, and then there's Bruce Baugh, Grabowsky, Rich Dansky and later people like Justin Achilli, Greg Stolze, and I'm missing a ton here.

The Wiecks appear, as does Justin. The others. Nowhere to be seen. Where was Bill Bridges even?

I don't think there is a "creator" of World of Darkness. Just people that collectively dabbled in it and built it together from different directions.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

MonsieurChoc posted:

Ethan Skemp and Bill Bridges were the "Steer the game into what it is now" Developers of the other two lines.

Lost_Heretic
Feb 16, 2016

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Wiecks are credited as publishers, but the Documentary narrative gives all creative credit to MRH. And they got Travis Williams on camera because they desperately needed a POC.*

No mention of or insight from:
Andrew Greenberg
Daniel Greenberg
Lisa Stevens
Chris McDonough
Nicole Lindroos
Rich Thomas
Bill Bridges...

EDIT: So yeah, the Documentary is basically a weird garbage fire of lies and PR puff

*However, Travis was pretty loving rad, so glad he got in the Doc.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

I mean, following the demographic change is why new old white wolf is a moral abomination full of nazi references. They were appealing to edgelords in 1990, they're appealing to edgelords in 2018. The only difference is the edgelords got organized, powerful, and really loving scary in the past decade or so.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Beerdeer posted:

I'm actually curious. My last experience with WoD was back in the 90s. I'm thinking of picking up V20 or CoD. I just want to know what's been going on. Sorry.
It was an effort to do some kind of "you have a dark and monstrous soul and are opposed by the heroes who slay the monsters" that managed due to a mixture of incompetence and the lead dev having a skeevy-background (not trying to short sell; literally don't remember, don't care enough to look it up) to derail into essentially a metaphor for LGBT and other minority individuals as abusers who revel in the cycle of abuse that they create and sustain. Due to the allure of the top-line premise and a couple of interesting subsidiary ideas, it has been talked to death and many people have tried to "fix it," for nothing is as alluring to a nerd as a thing which is either ALMOST great, or ALMOST but not TOTALLY hosed up. (Beast is the latter.)

dr_ether posted:

Fortunately the Vampire Chronicles TV series is in the works, so people will be more inclined for Vampires that are less Twilight like.
Depends how you mean by "less Twilight-like." I would be a drat fool to make a TV show with vampire characters who aren't explicitly Nosferatus, and to not make those draculas sexxy. That's like eight percent of the world economy now, sexy vampire books. That and Tinglers

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Nessus posted:

Depends how you mean by "less Twilight-like." I would be a drat fool to make a TV show with vampire characters who aren't explicitly Nosferatus, and to not make those draculas sexxy. That's like eight percent of the world economy now, sexy vampire books. That and Tinglers

As in actually being actual monsters, and vampires seeing their existence as a curse rather than a means to play baseball.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

Pounded in the rear end by a Gnostic Representation of My Own Monstrosity.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

dr_ether posted:

And perhaps being brave, shaking up the setting, shaking up the rules, is the best approach

ah yes, such bravery

such utter bravery as 'only condemning Nazis when forced to' and 'going for the edgiest, most 90s possible presentation whenever allowed to' and 'making a character an implied child predator'

such bravery as rewriting parts of a Werewolf book to insert a bit about how werewolves' transformation will reverse any surgical sexual modification, for no reason except to make being trans harder

so brave

gently caress off, go slobber Ericsson's knob on your own time

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

To be fair they admitted that it was a bad idea once confronted on it.

To be even more fair they shouldn't have needed to be confronted.

It was an incredibly bad idea.

Even W:tF did this correctly.

What is wrong with you you goddamned fossil of the 90s

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

dr_ether posted:

As in actually being actual monsters, and vampires seeing their existence as a curse rather than a means to play baseball.
A beast I am, lest a beast I become! *HSSSS*

"that is so romantic"

Kurieg posted:

To be fair they admitted that it was a bad idea once confronted on it.

To be even more fair they shouldn't have needed to be confronted.

It was an incredibly bad idea.

Even W:tF did this correctly.

What is wrong with you you goddamned fossil of the 90s

I feel that it is important to have some charity for the occasional mis-step, especially if you are dealing with a revival property. For instance, any revival of WTA will have to at least address how there are several tribes which are essentially regional ethnic clubs, and several other tribes with an explicit focus on eugenic superiority, which is even a Background you can buy.

However there is a mis-step and then there is a vigorous forward dive with both hands held out in the Hydragruss screaming "MAKE MINE AUTHORITARIANISM, SQUIRREL GIRL"

Nessus fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jul 26, 2018

dr_ether
May 31, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

ah yes, such bravery

such utter bravery as 'only condemning Nazis when forced to' and 'going for the edgiest, most 90s possible presentation whenever allowed to' and 'making a character an implied child predator'

such bravery as rewriting parts of a Werewolf book to insert a bit about how werewolves' transformation will reverse any surgical sexual modification, for no reason except to make being trans harder

so brave

gently caress off, go slobber Ericsson's knob on your own time

Brave in this context was meant "To try something different rather than sell exactly the same game again".

I did not mean brave in relation to their politics or manner of writing.

So for comparison I mean, in a business sense, GW was brave to kill of WHF and to create AoS that used a new system and setting. By comparison WW have changed the rules significantly, and have changed the setting.

I do not mean they are personally being brave. Nor am I slobbering on Ericsson's knob thank you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Ethan Skemp and Bill Bridges were the "Steer the game into what it is now" Developers of the other two lines.

Skemp did a whole lot of work getting Revised Werewolf into something much less cringe-y. (He also let Children of Gaia Revised* slip through on his watch, but he apologizes for it.)

*Before anybody invariably asks, there is an F&F on the site. Go read it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Nessus posted:

I feel that it is important to have some charity for the occasional mis-step, especially if you are dealing with a revival property. For instance, any revival of WTA will have to at least address how there are several tribes which are essentially regional ethnic clubs, and several other tribes with an explicit focus on eugenic superiority, which is even a Background you can buy.

However there is a mis-step and then there is a vigorous forward dive with both hands held out in the Hydragruss screaming "MAKE MINE AUTHORITARIANISM, SQUIRREL GIRL"

We've given them as much charity as can reasonably be expected of a playerbase, and more. But they're only just now realizing that "Hey, maybe we should ask people who've worked at OPP how we should handle these Issues."

You know, after their first book has gone to print.

The ideal time to start walking back your crazy authoritarian hateboner.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Oh yeah, Skemp deserves a lot of credits.

And Andrew Bates was the main dev of Trinity and Adventure! and those games were great.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kurieg posted:

We've given them as much charity as can reasonably be expected of a playerbase, and more. But they're only just now realizing that "Hey, maybe we should ask people who've worked at OPP how we should handle these Issues."

You know, after their first book has gone to print.

The ideal time to start walking back your crazy authoritarian hateboner.
Yeah, while I'm glad they're cleaning up their act in the abstract I'm not eager to come back and buy an exciting new product about how all the fever-swamp visions of the late 10s are TRUE but with DRACULAS AND WOLFMANS, not least because those fever-swamp visions are directing national policy in many cases contra the 90s, where they motivated the occasional maniac but were mostly remote arcana.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Jhet posted:

So write for the audience that exists, not the audience you wish exists.

gently caress that. You should absolutely write for the audience you wish exists. (Or even better, write the game you personally want to play.) It's just that you should wish for a good audience that likes good things, as opposed to an audience of Swedracula.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Jhet posted:

Clearly, the next generation wants Edward and not Lestat (even if Rice is a better writer and creates a more interesting world). So write for the audience that exists, not the audience you wish exists.

More importantly, the next generation doesn't want to be Sascha Vykos; they want to be Korra or Pearl. The transgression-for-its-own-sake-let's-shock-the-normies aesthetic has basically no traction right now.

Digital Osmosis
Nov 10, 2002

Smile, Citizen! Happiness is Mandatory.

Rand Brittain posted:

The transgression-for-its-own-sake-let's-shock-the-normies aesthetic has basically no traction right now.

My dude, I would loving LOVE to live in the reality you live in

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Except that both Age of Sigmar and V5 aren't really brave at all because they exist in a structure where the old product continues to exist in significant ways as a hedge against them failing.
I mean, I think the real issue is that I don't really want to give money to someone who was stupid enough to bring Zak S on board because they will very quickly do something else really stupid and my investment will be worth zero because I won't be able to stand to look at the books knowing I was warned in advance and bought them anyway.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think the problem is that the audience for the transgressive shock-jock bullshit of triggering the normies and such isn't also gonna be buying forty dollar books and funny dice to play it out. They'll go find some group for the Kansas City Pet Rescue or a woman posting videos about video games and do it live, in real life. or they're playing pathfinder already

What I think would be an actually interesting twist in the oWoD would have been to instead present the problem of how to integrate all this hoary old poo poo into the modern day without this veil. How to bring it in from the shed without destroying it. I don't think you would have to necessarily make the focus on somehow serving mass market humanity but you would have to be in relation to them, rather than concealed.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Digital Osmosis posted:

My dude, I would loving LOVE to live in the reality you live in

I'd agree with him. The ironic racism and pure shock is gone and anyone left has been turned into a dyed in the wool nazi. The kids these days are also pretty ernest. Lots of horrible poo poo still exists but it isn't being done for the act of transgression, it's sadly being done by actual nazis.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

gently caress that. You should absolutely write for the audience you wish exists. (Or even better, write the game you personally want to play.) It's just that you should wish for a good audience that likes good things, as opposed to an audience of Swedracula.

Yes, if it were you or I, we could write for an audience we wish exists. But we're also apparently wishing for an audience that is a more ideal audience and not a bunch of 40 year old edgelords from the '90s. My wording could have been better, but I think the point is still there. I think we're in agreement that a game that Ericsson writes for himself is probably not the audience that we're wanting.

Rand Brittain posted:

More importantly, the next generation doesn't want to be Sascha Vykos; they want to be Korra or Pearl. The transgression-for-its-own-sake-let's-shock-the-normies aesthetic has basically no traction right now.

Definitely true. But gender politics has also advanced 20+ years since Vykos, and the world is a different place. It's more accepting in some places, and much more confused for a lot of people. It really isn't shocking, and handling it poorly will only bring a lot of disdain from a reasonably vocal population. It's a very different message that should be sent, and while that doesn't mean you must write Vykos out, it really needs to be handled in the lens that people are going to consume it through.

In the Nomads Requiem supplement there is a Invictus society that's purpose is for teaching Elder's how to interact Properly with the new changes in society. That would have been a useful credit for someone to have content edited V5 for the 21st century. There wouldn't have been as much furor, but it showed up in a Requiem book, so...

Poltergrift
Feb 16, 2014

"When I grow up, I'm gonna be a proper swordsman. One with clothes."
I know this isn't the topic at this point, but could someone explain the Thanatologists to me? The whole "rejection of community" element of the metaphor seems pretty heavily baked into them via the "they don't join regular krewes because they're mistrustful because [bullying references], which is why they're villains" bit, but it seems kind of detached from their actual activities as information brokers and scientists.

I don't know if I understand how they're separate from, say, Bonepickers ("use ghost things to become powerful/wise for reasons" vs. "use ghost things to get money for reasons") except in terms of metaphorical roles (which I'm also not sure I get).

Poltergrift fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Jul 27, 2018

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Poltergrift posted:

I know this isn't the topic at this point, but could someone explain the Thanatologists to me? The whole "rejection of community" element of the metaphor seems pretty heavily baked into them via the "they don't join regular krewes because they're mistrustful because [bullying references], which is why they're villains" bit, but it seems kind of detached from their actual activities as information brokers and scientists.

I don't know if I understand how they're separate from, say, Bonepickers ("use ghost things to become powerful/wise for reasons" vs. "use ghost things to get money for reasons") except in terms of metaphorical roles (which I'm also not sure I get).
Part of the thing with Thanatologists is that they don't believe in the afterlife, not really, so their approach to Synergy sounds like it's basically "yeah whatever, I made a deal with something weird, better understand what's going on there, but I emphatically do NOT care about any of the trappings unless they're going to give me cool powers in collectible form."
For the metaphor of political action and ghosts as the downtrodden, they're all theory, no praxis; if a Thanatologist found out tomorrow how to kill a Kerberoi and make its Dominion an eternal paradise for lost souls, they'd probably view it with all the bloodless lizard distance of a pollster stumbling upon something like "universal healthcare makes everyone's lives better" and thinking "huh, neat, guess that's what that does." And never, you know...do it. Or even try.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I good WoD news, we're finally getting Wraith 20 soon.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Looks like the updated PDF hasn't hit yet, though. Oh, well, I've got a huge backlog of stuff to get through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Vampire 5E reviews are starting to pop up

https://teylen.blog/2018/07/27/vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-first-look/

http://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/let-sleeping-antediluvians-lie-vampire-the-masquerade-5th-edition-review/