Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Punishment for getting hit a lot is having your cool robot arm go to poo poo and then blow up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

ImpAtom posted:

I imagine it'd going to be somewhat like magic in Bayonetta where they're not the thing the game is based around and instead part of the encouragement to avoid damage and string together combos.

Which was 100% bullshit compared to how Devil Trigger charges on both being cool AND loving up.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Crabtree posted:

Punishment for getting hit a lot is having your cool robot arm go to poo poo and then blow up.

What if the explosion deals a lot of damage and stuns enemies to give players who are getting hit a lot a chance?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Unreal_One posted:

Which was 100% bullshit compared to how Devil Trigger charges on both being cool AND loving up.

Considering they said Devil Trigger is still in the game it's not an either/or.

Pretty much all of these games have mechanics in play which encourage you to avoid getting hit or suffer both score and mechanical punishments in some form or another, as well as handicap items to let you get past things. "Your cool robot arm functions at its best when you're stylishing wrecking foes" is pretty Devil May Cry. It's a game that *wants* you to learn to play better.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ImpAtom posted:

Considering they said Devil Trigger is still in the game it's not an either/or.

Pretty much all of these games have mechanics in play which encourage you to avoid getting hit or suffer both score and mechanical punishments in some form or another, as well as handicap items to let you get past things. "Your cool robot arm functions at its best when you're stylishing wrecking foes" is pretty Devil May Cry. It's a game that *wants* you to learn to play better.

I feel like the series already has enough incentives to play well (style points, looking cool, actually beating the game), I don't need another one that sounds like I'll have to do maintenance on my poo poo

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

I feel like the series already has enough incentives to play well (style points, looking cool, actually beating the game), I don't need another one that sounds like I'll have to do maintenance on my poo poo

You don't even know what the statement means yet

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It would be very annoying only if all of the following are true: 1) It's easy to break relative to how easy it is to die 2) Nero loses a lot of important abilities when it breaks and doesn't get anything to compensate 3) Replacements are rare or expensive.

We don't know if any of those are true yet, let alone all of them. :shrug:

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum

chumbler posted:

What if the explosion deals a lot of damage and stuns enemies to give players who are getting hit a lot a chance?

You'll lose the ability to devil trigger for a level or two as your digital devil power goes into maintenance mode. But there are certain special areas that can only be reached by having your robo arm go critical.

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
I wouldn't be surprised if multiple devil breakers are Nero's equivalent of styles, as in something that you use the d-pad for. Not that I know anything, but I imagine there might be a default, unbreakable devil breaker that's let you snatch and buster and then other ones that you can buy that are stronger/let you do more awesome poo poo but are breakable.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

Dinosaur Gum
When the style comes out it will literally break your arm as loving cyber demon effects flow out from the wound and over your body. With cool as poo poo transformer noises as you switch between styles like this is Yakuza 0.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
I'm really excited for games Journalists to complain about the game punishing them unfairly.

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Nasgate posted:

I'm really excited for games Journalists to complain about the game punishing them unfairly.

"Devil May Cry 5 is the Dark Souls of video games"

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

"Were we wrong about Devil May Cry the whole time?"

"How Devil May Cry 5 gets it right"

"DMC5: A master class rebirth of the action game"

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Unless there's a sad dad storyline with Virgil, they're not gonna like it

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

CordlessPen posted:

"Devil May Cry 5 is the Dark Souls of video games"

Game journalists are awful. That's why youtubers have taken over their jobs.

So we just gotta wait till Gamescom for more info. Itsuno said it would be playable and hopefully it is public so we get some footage.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

But youtubers are just as awful!

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ya there are definitely awful youtubers but there are lots of good content makers for gaming on youtube. Just for action games there are a bunch of interesting channels like Thegamingbritshow or Turbo Button.

In terms of journalist or traditional reviewers there isn't anything worth reading for games. I just read the thread here or even reddit/steam reviews are better than journalists reviews.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

At the very least if I'm going to look up a youtube review of let's say DOOM for example then It's way more likely that the person doing the review will at the very least know how to aim and move at the same time and thus probably will be able to tell me more relevant info about the gameplay, unlike with traditional games journalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3pQ0oO_cDE

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
it's about ethics in getting crazy

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I booted up DMC4SE and my save file was at the part where Dante would fight the chimeras or whatever they're called. What a wackass enemy.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
If you just replaced modded chimeras into any other random enemy dmc4 would be so much better

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

Pomp posted:

If you just replaced modded chimeras into any other random enemy dmc4 would be so much better

Replace all of them with Cutlasses!

Don't

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I went to the DMC wiki to remind myself what Chimeras are and it features DMC2 Dante and dmc Donte as the background, which is hilarious for the rage it must cause

Sundance Shot
Oct 24, 2010
Speaking of annoying enemies, I really hope DMC 5 doesn't have an enemy that floats around clipping through scenery this time.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

DLC Inc posted:

probably the most incredible combat system in any ARPG, nothing comes close to it. Unfortunately almost everything else about the game is so loving boring and droll, which is probably why the game failed. I'd love to see a sequel if the design and writing for the game got a huge overhaul.

I bought it, tried playing it for a couple of hours but holy poo poo it's tedious. I don't have time to waste on games that need me to put in a bunch of hours before it lets me have fun.

...and that's why I enjoy me some DMC.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

quote:

And then there's Devil May Cry. The hack-and-slash genre seems to have declined in recent years, and 2013's DmC: Devil May Cry - Capcom's effort to rejuvenate the genre - disappointed the fanbase. With Devil May Cry 5, Capcom has decided to focus on its core players.

"The last game was very good, but there were a few unhappy voices because it wasn't a direct sequel and other things," Molant remembers. "Because of that, the dev team sat down and asked: 'Where do we take that next?' And it was known that the community wanted Devil May Cry 5 to be closer to 1, 2 and 3. And so the project was born.

"We can debate whether that genre has the same appeal as it used to... that's hard to say. The project was born because of what the fans want."

Turner continues: "It's fair to say that we are very focused on the audience and the feedback that we get. We have seen some horrible stories in the media recently about publishers bending to the will of the internet. We wouldn't advocate going that far. But certainly there is an element of fan service that runs throughout the company.

"DMC is an example of that. Fans weren't happy, so therefore we went a different way. It's part of giving back within the remit that we're still a business, we still need it to sell. We want to give things to the fans, we want to support them, but it has to make sense. So we do it within reason. We don't listen to the far extremes of the fanbase, shall we say."

Molant again: "This project would never have been greenlit if it didn't make sense business-wise. We rarely have crazy forecasts on any of our games. DMC 5 will please a fanbase that is still quite big."

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2018-08-03-capcom-taken-aback-by-resident-evil-2-reception

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

That article saying they are aiming for DMC 1,2 & 3 is the first time I'm actually risking losing a bit of faith in DMC 5. Looking at 3 sure it's a good game but 4 added a lot of needed QoL stuff but even as a DMC2 apologist 1 & 2 are not really the games I feel like they should be emulating. Even if it started the series I don't think there's anything 1 did that the later games didn't do better, and a lot of the cools stuff game from 2 anyway. I do think it's probable that the statement isn't really that true anyway since the game seems to be primarily based on 4 anyway.

Also can people stop perpetuating the lie that Resident Evil 4 didn't have tank controls?

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Hel posted:

That article saying they are aiming for DMC 1,2 & 3 is the first time I'm actually risking losing a bit of faith in DMC 5. Looking at 3 sure it's a good game but 4 added a lot of needed QoL stuff but even as a DMC2 apologist 1 & 2 are not really the games I feel like they should be emulating. Even if it started the series I don't think there's anything 1 did that the later games didn't do better, and a lot of the cools stuff game from 2 anyway. I do think it's probable that the statement isn't really that true anyway since the game seems to be primarily based on 4 anyway.

Also can people stop perpetuating the lie that Resident Evil 4 didn't have tank controls?

Yeah, I'm thinking that was a misspeak by the dude, and they are aiming for 1,3,and 4, but that doesn't roll off the tongue in an interview and it's not an interview about DMC so it's not going to be corrected. Also, I have no idea how much the European COO and marketing director of Capcom have to do with anything on the non-marketing side.

Unreal_One fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Aug 6, 2018

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
My assumption is that whoever wrote the article misunderstood, and thought DmC was DMC4. So when they talked about the rest of the series, they went back starting with 3. Considering the trailer is entirely focused on Nero, I really don't think they'd ignore 4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the secret is that having three playable characters including nero is a fake out and at the start of the game they're all going to combine and fuse to become lucia

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

The Colonel posted:

the secret is that having three playable characters including nero is a fake out and at the start of the game they're all going to combine and fuse to become a slice of pizza

Fixed that typo for you.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ty

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The DMC 5 trailler is battling for 4M views while the Devil Trigger is going into the 8Ms :eyepop:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

The DMC 5 trailler is battling for 4M views while the Devil Trigger is going into the 8Ms :eyepop:

And they said DMC needed a revamp, hah. Turns out all it needed was a kickass theme song.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

probably the most incredible combat system in any ARPG, nothing comes close to it. Unfortunately almost everything else about the game is so loving boring and droll, which is probably why the game failed. I'd love to see a sequel if the design and writing for the game got a huge overhaul.

i got bored with the story but combat against the big enemies was the most fun i'd had in years and was an absolute roller coaster of excitement and memorable moments. I kinda wished monster hunter world was more like it but its its own thing i guess.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

RBX posted:

"Were we wrong about Devil May Cry the whole time?"

"How Devil May Cry 5 gets it right"

"DMC5: A master class rebirth of the action game"

«Offensive to demons and people who violently poo poo themselves from exposure to buttrock»

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/tomqe/status/1027898103968411649

And a closer look to the redesigned Red Queen and Blue Rose

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Nero's van confirmed to have it's own devil trigger.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

toasterwarrior posted:

And they said DMC needed a revamp, hah. Turns out all it needed was a kickass theme song.

Imo the soundtrack has always been kinda weak in DMC. Like sure, there are couple great songs here and there but you're stuck listening to a mediocre battle track.

Devil Trigger gets it. DMC has never been particularly dark and edgy so up beat vocal song fits the mood perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

WaltherFeng posted:

you're stuck listening to a mediocre battle track.

What the gently caress