Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

canyoneer posted:

https://www.whitecoatinvestor.com/how-to-live-on-350k-in-hawaii/

Oof, how am I going to get by on 5x the median household income in Hawaii!?

quote:

I will have 2 kids go to private school as Hawaii does not have any half-decent public schools

Lol get hosed lady

More than anything else in that crap she wrote, this is what got me mad. It immediately shows what kind of person she is, through and through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

lampey posted:

Is $450k a normal debt load for medical school? It was my understanding that even the most costly medical schools should be closer to $250k, and in general foreign schools are cheaper

58% of the entire world adult population has a Facebook account, only 54% has internet access

It's not at all unheard of to have $450k in combined medical school and undergrad debt. It is by no means impossible to break $300k in medical school tuition and living expenses at private US MD schools and many schools are currently budgeting a cost of attendance >$90k per year. Offshore medical schools can be significantly more expensive.

Suspicious Lump
Mar 11, 2004
Are these REAL people who ask these questions or is this fake? I think this is fake.

How do you go from living on 100k ("barely making ends meet") to 350k and still think you're going struggle. How do you spend money you haven't actually made yet. wtf

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Suspicious Lump posted:

How do you spend money you haven't actually made yet. wtf

Credit cards and mortgages are going to blow your mind.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.

Weatherman posted:

Lol get hosed lady

But if her kids go to public school they'll never learn how to live on 350k a year, only private school teaches how to overcome such hardships... or apparently it doesn't...

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
horse investments
https://money.stackexchange.com/questions/97585/how-can-someone-profit-from-a-horse-as-an-investment

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW

brugroffil posted:

Their number one piece of advice is to move to Texas instead lol

The state taxes would be $28,000/yr.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

Suspicious Lump posted:

Are these REAL people who ask these questions or is this fake? I think this is fake.

How do you go from living on 100k ("barely making ends meet") to 350k and still think you're going struggle. How do you spend money you haven't actually made yet. wtf

I felt this way by the end of my (6th year of) training too. 265k medical debt at 6.8%, IBR payment not even covering interest, oh also you’re 30 and highly educated but have barely any retirement savings, zero home equity, and minimal assets. I couldn’t even moonlight so I was at 63k. I was aware that most of America lives that way, save nothing and hope for the best, but most of my cohort from undergrad had houses, solid 401k, etc. It’s hard to not feel a sense of dread until the first month you’re solidly in the black.

This person in particular is dumb though. Carrying CC debt and planning private school is dumb with a negative net worth. I’ll never understand doctor fascination with private school, even though most went to public themselves.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I saw this ad next to a random news article this morning.

Nevermind that you should have loving retirement savings to quote, "earn income."

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

DEMAG posted:

Watching people complain complain with confusion about their rock solid investment in a company that loses money on every customer is pretty BMW. https://stocktwits.com/symbol/HMNY

loving Warren Buffet over here.

*EDIT* HMNY just filed for a reverse stock split. 250 to 1, now these guys are pumped this will save them. :stare:

RIP Moviepass. There are still people that think this thing will go to $100

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DEMAG posted:

Thatsa some earnings per share.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

quote:

The panic over Facebook's stock is absurd. It's simply too big to fail (self.investing)

Something tells me this guy invests "on a hunch"

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Tbh, I have NO CLUE how I'm suppose to make money

quote:

I feel like I've been lied to my entire life... I did everything they told me to do; went to university, got good grades, landed internships, got my degree, landed job offers... And what do I get offered in return? A shame sandwich with a side order of poo poo. No one wants to pay more than 50k for a BI analyst, and everyone ask for 10 years of experience for management position. That BBA was a huge waste of time and money. Honestly, I'm completly lost right now... What should I do? Pursue an MBA? Get a third job? Move to another country? Try to start my own business? If anyone been there before I'd really appreciate some wise pieces of advice because I'm starting to have some dark thoughts. Thank you :(

reply posted:

Maybe work for a few years before declaring everything a lie and lost cause?

OP posted:

Well I dont really have a choice anyway. But the way I see it is... right now, I'm very unhappy because I live like poo poo, and I live like poo poo because I can't afford to live well. Do I have to wait until 35 to be happy. gently caress this is depressing....

waaaah waaaaaah I'm not making $100k out of college and I probably suck at budgeting waaaaaaaaaaah

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Help, my first job pays roughly the median household income.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
lol, just lol at HMNY.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Weatherman posted:

Lol get hosed lady

More than anything else in that crap she wrote, this is what got me mad. It immediately shows what kind of person she is, through and through.

Hawaii's public schools are pretty dire and have been for a while.

How was Movie Pass supposed to make money?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Phanatic posted:

Yeah but part of the SA value signaling game is to pretend it's a parent's civic duty to keep their children in failing public schools.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

Well I dont really have a choice anyway. But the way I see it is... right now, I'm very unhappy because I live like poo poo, and I live like poo poo because I can't afford to live well. Do I have to wait until 35 to be happy. gently caress this is depressing....

This is so close to the truth it's triggering. Give or take a decade. Definitely give a decade.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Phanatic posted:

I think the goal was to build a large enough user base to force movie theaters to make better deals with them.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

.Z. posted:

I think the goal was to build a large enough user base to force movie theaters to make better deals with them.

And also raise prices eventually, and bank on people subscribing and not going but not canceling.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Even states with bad schools usually have pretty good ones in the neighborhoods that doctors live in.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wolfy posted:

Even states with bad schools usually have pretty good ones in the neighborhoods that doctors live in.

At least in 2001 that wasn’t true: https://www.nytimes.com/2001/10/12/us/in-hawaii-public-schools-feel-a-long-way-from-paradise.html

DEMAG
Aug 14, 2003

You're it.

.Z. posted:

AMC got wise and started A-List.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-spectacular-rise-and-fall-of-moviepass-2018-07-09-101033943

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer

Oh my god, this article. I didn't know Moviepass used to charge like $50/month, I thought they were at like $20 or $30. It really feels like they got bought out by fools with dollar signs in their eyes and dreams of magical Big Data Money and no common sense. Which is why no one there seemed to have even the slightest thought of "Hey, maybe we should think about what happens if our mythical data mining cash flow fails to materialize". Or even just "maybe we shouldn't lose money when people go to see even one movie using our sub". That's some epic BWM right there.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

DEMAG posted:

I have to confess, until I saw this pic I thought all the HMNY stuff was about the H&M clothing store, whose stock has also been crashing recently.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Yikes. That is not a pretty picture.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

“Whenever you’re disrupting an industry, you’re going to have things come up,” he said. “We are building an entertainment company. Nobody grows this big and this fast without hiccups.”

Things, and hiccups.. like bankruptcy

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Phanatic posted:

*~big data~*

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

howdoesishotweb posted:

“Whenever you’re disrupting an industry, you’re going to have things come up,” he said. “We are building an entertainment company. Nobody grows this big and this fast without hiccups.”

I admit, I never thought I'd see a modern, real-world example of "we lose money per unit but we'll make it up in volume", especially for a publicly traded stock.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
MoviePass was good with money because every time I saw a movie I was taking money directly from a venture capitalist

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah but part of the SA value signaling game is to pretend it's a parent's civic duty to keep their children in failing public schools.

Do you feel a need to simulate John Smith's posting when he hasn't been active or something?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

howdoesishotweb posted:

Disrupting the theater industry by buying tickets and reselling them to people for 1/3 of the price.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Disrupting the theater industry by buying tickets and reselling them to people for 1/3 of the price.

gently caress you, uh, here you can get yours for half price!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?

This condo with a stupid support beam in the middle of the kitchen is going for $1 million.

The HOA fees are $600/month.

https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco-ca/1488-harrison-st-302-san-francisco-ca-94103-110_432429/

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

OctaviusBeaver posted:

This condo with a stupid support beam in the middle of the kitchen is going for $1 million.

https://www.movoto.com/san-francisco-ca/1488-harrison-st-302-san-francisco-ca-94103-110_432429/

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Wolfy posted:

Yikes. That is not a pretty picture.
Yeah I went to public school in Hawaii, it was awful. Half the high schoolers got off the bus at the first stop to work at the sugarcane factory until it closed down for good. Drug use, lovely teachers, the works.

I don't know if this was a resource problem, but we all had to work rotating shifts as cafeteria workers. Once or twice a week it was your turn to work lunch, you put your hair up in a net and spent two hours doling out ladles of beans or breaking down empty milk cartons. Or maybe it was just to get people used to being in the service industry like everybody is in hawaii.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Vox Nihili posted:

This is what Uber is doing too right

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

OctaviusBeaver posted:

I've seen HOA fees like that even in low(er) rent places.

Is that a support beam for the whole building? Does it go through multiple condos in one uninterrupted angle? Those first few dark nights going into the kitchen are going to hurt like hell.

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

brugroffil posted:

This is what Uber is doing too right

It's not. Unless there is some kind of market were Uber is just paying taxi companies and then charging the customer less than they pay.

edit: Uber's model is more about not paying much to their drivers and skirting various taxi laws which allow them to undercut competition. That and ease of use via the app.

wilderthanmild fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

OctaviusBeaver posted:

My favorite part is that for a million dollar condo they couldn't be bothered to design the floor plan around having the deal with that support beam somehow.