Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

There seems to be this sort of Lovecraftian thang to Pdox games where the more time you spend with them the more insane you get

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Pacho posted:

Instead of a tech tree just inventions and discoveries that pop-up and spread from province to province. Invention chance depends on literacy/education/infraestructure, some inventions are pre-requisite for the next. So, a mix of current EU4 and Stellaris

While probably realistic, we need to get in the spirit of Paradox 2.0 and have countries bid for inventions using monarch points a la papal control.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Morrow posted:

While probably realistic, we need to get in the spirit of Paradox 2.0 and have countries bid for inventions using monarch points a la papal control.
You would be bidding for the ability to patronize the geniuses who thought of the inventions.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Morrow posted:

You thought I meant I'd actually give you 50,000 monarch points? That was just American Humor

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

A major part of who adopted what technologies was down to who the elites were in a country at the time, what their vested commercial interests were, and how much legal power they had to ban technologies or grant monopolies and patents to inventors and industrialists. What I'm saying is that in order to truly simulate the industrial revolution you need a ck2-esque character system where you end up losing a war because ten years ago when you wanted to introduce railroads you couldn't because the king had invested all his money into canals.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

Red Bones posted:

A major part of who adopted what technologies was down to who the elites were in a country at the time, what their vested commercial interests were, and how much legal power they had to ban technologies or grant monopolies and patents to inventors and industrialists. What I'm saying is that in order to truly simulate the industrial revolution you need a ck2-esque character system where you end up losing a war because ten years ago when you wanted to introduce railroads you couldn't because the king had invested all his money into canals.

On one hand, the CK2 character system is great and more games should use it. On the other, if there is any game that should support presenting systems as the faceless, characterless product of incentives rather than the result of specific actors, it's one representing the Industrial Revolution.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jazerus posted:

you guys do know that rome literally owned a little trading town in south india right?

They didn't.

quote:

and that every emperor from augustus until the crisis of the third century sent enormous annual trade fleets from the red sea to india?
They also traded quite possibly down below until modern day Senegal and possibly Guinea. Why not include them too? Are you racist? Why do you want to downplay Africa's role in the time period?

quote:

india was not a huge mystery to the romans in the way that china was, although the upper class doesn't seem to have been enthusiastic about going on these voyages so we don't have detailed accounts

China wasn't that much of a mystery to India either, in fact, seems bizarre not to include south east Asia and how important it was to India.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Why would you try and start this back up

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Seems bizarre how back in the day people would go berzerk if their tiny nation states' ancient representative wasn't fully described in complete detail in a paradox game, now we've sweved the other way around and if you're not giving the kashmir area a billion provinces to exemplify how incredible it was you're being eurocentric.

Just make a goddamn good game about rome and the politics of the mediteranean all the way east of Alexander's conquests + western India. Hell, you could just make a game centered on the Latium area and then expand from there.

Just don't repeat the absolutely awful previous experience and don't fall into the "we need to have every post code as a province" logic of HoI that makes the game 1) god ugly and 2) mandatory to forteit control to the AI because you can't be bothered to have your armies cross forty regions to go from Ravena to Mediolanum

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would you try and start this back up

It's a free country

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

They should just include the whole world so I can play as a band of struggling Paracas farmers.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
If I can't play as a Native American tribe that may someday get to trade for a piece of Roman pottery that has been steadily traded further north over several centuries from a single Roman trading vessel that got lost in the Atlantic and marooned in Brazil, then what is even the point of making a Rome game?

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I honest to god want to play as a minor Nervii tribe of 600 people who just migrates from one place to another and maybe after 150 years of gametime i can settle on northern italy and establish a 3k pop tribe who can provide trusted auxiliaries to the rising roman republic.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Mans posted:

Seems bizarre how back in the day people would go berzerk if their tiny nation states' ancient representative wasn't fully described in complete detail in a paradox game, now we've sweved the other way around and if you're not giving the kashmir area a billion provinces to exemplify how incredible it was you're being eurocentric.

Just make a goddamn good game about rome and the politics of the mediteranean all the way east of Alexander's conquests + western India. Hell, you could just make a game centered on the Latium area and then expand from there.

Just don't repeat the absolutely awful previous experience and don't fall into the "we need to have every post code as a province" logic of HoI that makes the game 1) god ugly and 2) mandatory to forteit control to the AI because you can't be bothered to have your armies cross forty regions to go from Ravena to Mediolanum

It's a free country

That seems like a horrible mischaracterization of people’s argument.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Did you all know that, in vicky 2, you can conquer large unlanded states by releasing them as an OPM from the holding country, getting a conquer cb while doing a second war to free their cores, and then accepting the peace for conquest a day after you give them all their cores back? No?

Did you know that you can bootstrap assimilation by forcibly deindustrializing areas such that there are 0 craftsmen pops, then closing down factories in a majority accepted pop area such that unemployment pushes them to move to these deindustrialized areas? After that you just build factories there, and the wrong culture pops will become good ol accepted pops when they promote to craftsmen! Nifty, huh? Good way to show the brits how you felt about 1812 if ya ask me.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
When will Paradox finally make Empire Earth: The Grand Strategy Version?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Did you all know that, in vicky 2, you can conquer large unlanded states by releasing them as an OPM from the holding country, getting a conquer cb while doing a second war to free their cores, and then accepting the peace for conquest a day after you give them all their cores back? No?

Did you know that you can bootstrap assimilation by forcibly deindustrializing areas such that there are 0 craftsmen pops, then closing down factories in a majority accepted pop area such that unemployment pushes them to move to these deindustrialized areas? After that you just build factories there, and the wrong culture pops will become good ol accepted pops when they promote to craftsmen! Nifty, huh? Good way to show the brits how you felt about 1812 if ya ask me.

Does the culture thing work reliably though? I've had games as the USA in Ultimate where I had 0 accepted culture bureaucrats in a province and it somehow made all the immigrants flip to soldier upon culture conversion. Having a country with >50% soldier POPs is less fun than it sounds.

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat
But I thought most people liked playing as Prussia :confused:

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Know that, hell, I don't even understand it.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Strudel Man posted:

Know that, hell, I don't even understand it.

Force Uk to release Canda as an OPM. Justify a conquest on Canada, then justify a "liberate country" cb on UK. Declare war on both, full occupy canada while you fight the UK. Win the war with the UK, and stagger your peace requests just enough so that you can fufil the conquest CB before it becomes invalidated by canada not being an OPM. Sorry if it was unclear, low sleep

GrossMurpel posted:

When will Paradox finally make Empire Earth: The Grand Strategy Version?

Does the culture thing work reliably though? I've had games as the USA in Ultimate where I had 0 accepted culture bureaucrats in a province and it somehow made all the immigrants flip to soldier upon culture conversion. Having a country with >50% soldier POPs is less fun than it sounds.

It does from what I can tell, but yeah there's nothing stopping the underlying mechanic (pops natural tendency to consolidate rather than split to save performance) from doing the same to other pop types given that there isn't one of that culture. The craftsmen one has been pretty consistent from my recent experiences trying to game it, but I'm not exactly sure what makes a pop feel it's acceptable to make its own classification vs promote into an existing one, esp for non-craftsmen. This is more for nations that aren't in New World/Oceania and don't get the huge flat bonus to assimilation to zapp their pops, although it can be used to augment it or to get rid of other nonaccepteds that have cores for whatever reason (Anglo-Canadian, Mexican, Cherokee, Caribeno, etc..)

ThatBasqueGuy fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 27, 2018

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Did anyone ever figure out a way to give rebels some level of tech advancements so they don't get totally massacred after about 1860? I kind of feel like I once played a mod that did that but :shrug:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
Just tech wouldn't be enough, they'd need fucktons of artillery to be competitive at all.
Revolts are silly anyway. On one hand you have giant revolutions that should be nation-ending civil wars or wars for independence simply because hundreds of thousands of people rose up, but you just crush them within a month. On the other hand, I doubt most of the revolutions of 1848 consisted of rebels raising an army and fighting in a field battle.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Force Uk to release Canda as an OPM. Justify a conquest on Canada, then justify a "liberate country" cb on UK. Declare war on both, full occupy canada while you fight the UK. Win the war with the UK, and stagger your peace requests just enough so that you can fufil the conquest CB before it becomes invalidated by canada not being an OPM. Sorry if it was unclear, low sleep

As long as you start the conquest war before the CB becomes invalid you should be ok. I've used that exploit to get an extra state from Ethiopia when they declare war on Egypt for Eritrea. Since Egypt usually loses all their soldiers to the Ottomans Ethiopia won't have any trouble winning the war and they often take Sudan in addition to their original target bringing them above the state limit for protectorate/unciv conquest.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I've seen a couple mods do that, I believe HFM does as well. Think I've seen rebels with some arty as well, but I couldn't tell you if they spawned or were flipped from my standing army of only arty.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

GrossMurpel posted:

Just tech wouldn't be enough, they'd need fucktons of artillery to be competitive at all.
Revolts are silly anyway. On one hand you have giant revolutions that should be nation-ending civil wars or wars for independence simply because hundreds of thousands of people rose up, but you just crush them within a month. On the other hand, I doubt most of the revolutions of 1848 consisted of rebels raising an army and fighting in a field battle.
Eh, I appreciate the fact that artillery gives standing armies a big advantage. If you want to run an authoritarian state, you'll need a large standing army to gun down the periodic revolts. That feels pretty solid to me. But they'd need to keep up in tech at a minimum.

Mans posted:

They didn't.

They also traded quite possibly down below until modern day Senegal and possibly Guinea. Why not include them too? Are you racist? Why do you want to downplay Africa's role in the time period?

China wasn't that much of a mystery to India either, in fact, seems bizarre not to include south east Asia and how important it was to India.

How mad are you that your side of the argument got humiliated out of the thread?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Nah, as always Mans is right.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mans has never been right.

But he is always angry.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Beamed posted:

How mad are you that your side of the argument got humiliated out of the thread?

gently caress off with this poo poo

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I've seen a couple mods do that, I believe HFM does as well. Think I've seen rebels with some arty as well, but I couldn't tell you if they spawned or were flipped from my standing army of only arty.

The likelihood of seeing unit types appear depends on what pop the rebel is being drawn from. The only pops that can become artillery are capitalists, officers, or soldiers, and the odds are pretty low (10% for capitalists, 1.2% for officers or soldiers, according to the wiki). So certain rebel types you won't see artillery at all just because those pops aren't drawn to their ideologies, and even a rebellion that was made up exclusively of those pop types would still only have 1 artillery for every other 9 units, tops.

I feel like what would be interesting is if pops could contribute cash to rebellions rather than just bodies - the number of people that join up to fight would determine the number of units spawned, and the amount of cash dedicated to the cause would determine the quality of those units - basically, they'd try to buy and stockpile goods off the market to produce the best units they can afford for the amount of manpower they have (with attention paid to getting a good mix of artillery/cavalry/infantry if they're able). This could also allow other nations to covertly fund rebel groups, so even a rebellion that's mostly made up of the lower classes could still be dangerous if it's being supported by a rich nation.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Magissima posted:

But I thought most people liked playing as Prussia :confused:

Prussia/Nazi fetishism makes it too squicky for me.

I will also never play the Confederacy in any game ever, under any circumstances. Period. No exceptions. I'll play Nazi Germany before the CSA. Which is weird and illogical, because the Nazi's were definitely 'worse', but I have this utter, visceral, gut loathing of the CSA which goes beyond logic.

I won't play mean ideologies in Stellaris either. It's pretty much rogue caretakers, egalitarianism, and xenophiles, with mix of materialism or spiritual depending on mood.

I can't even pick mean dialogue in rpgs. :lol:

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'm the same and really don't like playing historical bad guy nations but then in Stellaris I'm all Devouring Swarms and Exterminators and brutal slavers all the time.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin posted:

:same:

I could never bear to do the bad karma options in Fallout 3. It always made me feel really bad. :smith:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

DrSunshine posted:

:same:

I could never bear to do the bad karma options in Fallout 3. It always made me feel really bad. :smith:

Same until I lived in a crappy town of 250, now I nuke megaton whenever possible

Ivan Shitskin
Nov 29, 2002

Just lol if you don't roleplay a lunatic tyrannical devil-worshipping mass-murderer every time you play CK2. CK2 doesn't even go far enough. I want to build forests of thousands of impaled corpses like Vlad Dracula.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Kenzie posted:

Just lol if you don't roleplay a lunatic tyrannical devil-worshipping mass-murderer every time you play CK2. CK2 doesn't even go far enough. I want to build forests of thousands of impaled corpses like Vlad Dracula.

You totally can, though, it just ends up being EXTREMELY tedious, as you methodically click "Pillage Holding" again and again and again...

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I pretty much never play evil characters in RPGs, but in grand strategy games I'll play whichever nation looks interesting. I guess it's like that quote attributed to Stalin. I don't really get why you wouldn't want to play Prussia, anyway. They were aggressive and expansionistic, but not particularly 'evil' by the standards of their time.

That said, I've never played as Nazi Germany in HoI, but that's just because it's too obvious a choice. For the same reason, I've never played the UK in Vicky.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Beamed posted:

I literally never heard of you and i have no idea what you're saying.

Phlegmish posted:

Nah, as always Mans is right.

Thank you. We're the last of our kind.

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Beamed posted:

I think I was on that side so for clarification I went to bed because I couldn't tell what was even being discussed any more and I had to get up for work.

That said starting it up again like 3 pages later is dumb.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Prussia/Nazi fetishism makes it too squicky for me.

I will also never play the Confederacy in any game ever, under any circumstances. Period. No exceptions. I'll play Nazi Germany before the CSA. Which is weird and illogical, because the Nazi's were definitely 'worse', but I have this utter, visceral, gut loathing of the CSA which goes beyond logic.

I won't play mean ideologies in Stellaris either. It's pretty much rogue caretakers, egalitarianism, and xenophiles, with mix of materialism or spiritual depending on mood.

How does that work? I can understand wanting to play a nice guy in RPGs but what the gently caress does "Nazi fetishism" have to do with your playthrough of V2? I can understand not wanting to play Nazi Germany because of the ideology too, but this is weird.
Where's the difference in being expansionist as France or Prussia or UK or Russia? How in the world is it possible that some idiot liking Prussia because of Nazism has any influence on what you play? How does that make Prussia "squicky"? How can meta knowledge of what people like to play a nation possibly have any impact on how you feel about the nation?
To accurately summarize my feelings: :psyduck:

BabyFur Denny
Mar 18, 2003
I refuse to play the US in Vicky because of their treatment of immigrants under Trump.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Mans posted:

I literally never heard of you and i have no idea what you're saying.

Thank you. We're the last of our kind.

I didn’t think people did this unironically anymore.

It’s kind of sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magissima
Apr 15, 2013

I'd like to introduce you to some of the most special of our rocks and minerals.
Soiled Meat

BabyFur Denny posted:

I refuse to play the US in Vicky because of their treatment of immigrants under Trump.

I mean you joke but I would totally understand if someone didn't want to play the US because of the literal trail of tears decision.