Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Youth Decay posted:

Eyebrow dormers are the best and I want them on any future house I build.

Look how happy he is!

Give me Amityville Horror windows any day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe

Gigantic cooking and dining space in an open floorplan

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

there wolf posted:

I think I found the most death-tap garden tub ever

There's a lot of other weird touches in this house.

:stare:

That's blocks away from where my Dad grew up. Whole subdivision laid out like that. They're actually pretty well built and on massive lots. Plus the massive sleeping porches for pre-ac Georgia.

All the crayons you'd ever want too.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
lol at that hoa enforced riverstone requirement, they look so incredibly cheap.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Guess the hyper compact hot city thart needs a shower in the kitchen!

Oh and there's a post and stuff

schmug
May 20, 2007

cakesmith handyman posted:

:allears: I don't have to prove anything to you buddy. Is everyone you don't agree with dumb or trolling?

No, I suppose you don't. Mostly curious why you used that as an excuse instead of just say you don't like it. But instead you came up with asinine reasons why and then trying to trump that with "I'm an engineer". No body cares, man. Except me?

That being said, I stand by my statement. You’ve posted nothing to suggest you have any idea what you’re talking about in any thread without, “take a picture, I can look it up”, or something along those lines, and then you go ant try to cover it up with some kind of bullshit.

schmug fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jul 27, 2018

schmug
May 20, 2007

kid sinister posted:

Hell yeah, now we’re talking.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

kid sinister posted:

We have those, but when That Guy renovated the attic he just walled them up. When we renovate it (roughly never, since every time I think about something like that, something else breaks) I'm going to open them back up.

schmug
May 20, 2007

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We have those, but when That Guy renovated the attic he just walled them up. When we renovate it (roughly never, since every time I think about something like that, something else breaks) I'm going to open them back up.

WTF? Why would you renovate an attic and cover up windows? Rape attic?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

schmug posted:

WTF? Why would you renovate an attic and cover up windows? Rape attic?

He put in skylights and I think maybe he thought finishing quarter-round windows would be too hard? Don't know. The carpet is garbage, but it's not a bad space at all.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

In any other thread I wouldn't need to make sure, but this is an imaging error and not actually built this way right

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

Blue Footed Booby posted:

A reply says it's seismic bracing due to SF regs. Possibly the design was completed just before the regs went into effect and the designer half-assed a fix?

Well at least it didn't go through the middle of the bathroom.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I'm surprised that got turned into a house since 90% of Pizza Huts seem to turn into small-time restaurants.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
One of my coworkers is a little concerned about the state of their foundation. They went into their crawlspace and found this:

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use cinderblocks in that orientation. Let alone that rando chunk of concrete in the first photo. :stonklol:

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

One of my coworkers is a little concerned about the state of their foundation. They went into their crawlspace and found this:

I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to use cinderblocks in that orientation. Let alone that rando chunk of concrete in the first photo. :stonklol:

So the first photo goes like this...

Concrete beam
Random hunk of concrete
Railroad tie
Concrete foot thing they use under decks in the south

all held in place by gravity with no physical connection between any of them

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
It's fine, they smooshed some cockroaches and spiders in there to make a many-legged organic epoxy.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

In any other thread I wouldn't need to make sure, but this is an imaging error and not actually built this way right

Yeah that's probably a google street view and it's been stitched together from two or three shots by an algorithm, badly. The house itself is fine. The large dormer and two smaller dormers are OK, maybe slightly on the busy side for the size of the whole house, but the feeling isn't too unbalanced, the other details are fairly cohesive, it's a nice color, and there's nothing particularly offensive about it. Maybe the use of the mandatory river-rock, which is clearly not structural and thus looks a little tacked-on, but whatever, I don't even hate that particularly.

Hopefully it's not someplace that snows a lot, though, because there's a pinch point between the two dormers on the left that could cause some problems.

schmug
May 20, 2007

Do they have Dormers on their house?

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost
^^^^^^^^^^
"Yes, I am not an engineer."

Little heat tape, no problem. Seems like heavy rain on that huge surface area would overwhelm those gutters, though.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

quote:

The compressive strength of concrete masonry units and masonry walls varies from approximately 1,000 psi (7 MPa) to 5,000 psi (34 MPa) based on the type of concrete used to manufacture the unit, stacking orientation, the type of mortar used to build the wall, and other factors.

They are fine as long as there is no dead loads like furniture and no live loads like people.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The cinder blocks are definitely not fine in that orientation, though. You're supposed to make the holes go up and down, so that 100% of the block that is in compression is supported by continuous material from top to bottom. Oriented as they are in that photo, the stretches of material between the uprights are experiencing tension or bending force rather than compression.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

The trick is not to observe them; that way they continue to exist in a state of stability and collapse simultaneously without affecting the structure. Now that he's ruined it by photographing them, they'll resolve and there's only one way they're going to go. :ohdear:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
m'landscaping

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Nap Ghost

Neutrino posted:

They are fine as long as there is no dead loads like furniture and no live loads like people.
I am saving this statement for the next time I see someone building something stupid. I.e., I will probably mutter it to myself.

Also, it won't fail because of compressive forces. It will fail because loads will act in shear when transmitted through the clearly visible defects.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

This is all 100% fine if you intend to sell it in 6 months or less

there wolf posted:

There's a lot of other weird touches in this house.

Did I build this?

vanity lights for no reason, toilet paper roll too high, interior stucco, mismatched everything

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
grover?

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Leperflesh posted:

The cinder blocks are definitely not fine in that orientation, though. You're supposed to make the holes go up and down, so that 100% of the block that is in compression is supported by continuous material from top to bottom. Oriented as they are in that photo, the stretches of material between the uprights are experiencing tension or bending force rather than compression.

poo poo, you mean my camaro isn't safe to work under?

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

wesleywillis posted:

poo poo, you mean my camaro isn't safe to work under?

Again, same thing. As long as you don't put any horizontal or vertical loads on the car. No wind loads either.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

and protect the blocks from weathering and erosion, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Haifisch posted:

I'm surprised that got turned into a house since 90% of Pizza Huts seem to turn into small-time restaurants.

I thought that house was being made fun of for looking like a Pizza Hut.

Was it actually a former Pizza Hut?

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

I'm at the pizza hut. I'm at the neighbor's house. I'm at the combination pizza hut and neighbor's house!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyfc10qDcR4

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

schmug posted:

No, I suppose you don't. Mostly curious why you used that as an excuse instead of just say you don't like it. But instead you came up with asinine reasons why and then trying to trump that with "I'm an engineer". No body cares, man. Except me?

That being said, I stand by my statement. You’ve posted nothing to suggest you have any idea what you’re talking about in any thread without, “take a picture, I can look it up”, or something along those lines, and then you go ant try to cover it up with some kind of bullshit.

Just leave it, there's no way either of us come out of this conversation looking cool. What do you want, me to take a photo of my business card and degree certificate? Should I go check your posts and see whether you've posted anything "to suggest you have any idea what you’re talking about"?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

would unironically live in the refurbed pizza hut without shame

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Javid posted:

would unironically live in the refurbed pizza hut without shame

I dunno, it's got a solid base but the top's a little cheesy.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

xwing posted:

If I'm not getting at least 10% of construction cost for the design fees or billing you hourly for construction administration (I bill at $150/hr). If I'm getting less than that it's more or less, "Here's your drawings, hope it works out!" Ihen you start to get in the single digits it's incredibly hard to justify things like monitoring construction and hand holding you through the design process.

I've had jobs where we're paid enough to do things like go to millwork shops and pick every single piece of molding, but they usually still just view us as a drafting service. "You just draw it, right?"... or better yet, "I'll be out their everyday? Why do I need to pay you to monitor construction?"

Thanks for the ballpark pricing, that's great to know. If I want a house designed that would cost about $350k to build I should factor in about $35k+ on top for a great architect who will baby the project along from start to finish, as well as draw it all up? (I mean, obviously I'm going to ask my local guys what they charge but it's good to get some idea beforehand.)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cakesmith handyman posted:

Just leave it, there's no way either of us come out of this conversation looking cool. What do you want, me to take a photo of my business card and degree certificate? Should I go check your posts and see whether you've posted anything "to suggest you have any idea what you’re talking about"?

I am looking at all these houses with weird roof appendages like I would look at a car with a hood scoop/airdam. They annoy me but If its functional I can deal with it...

I don't think you need to be an engineer to think like this. You just need to a) be used to the UK generic lego house roof style b) have experience of roof repair/build costs.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Haifisch posted:

I don't think it was ever actually a Pizza Hut. It's in the middle of a neighborhood, and the proportions seem off for the iconic red roof.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

there wolf posted:

I don't think it was ever actually a Pizza Hut. It's in the middle of a neighborhood, and the proportions seem off for the iconic red roof.

It's not. It's just an entirely simplified and purely functional roof-line like the engineers want.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I prefer the clean classic roofline of the house drawn by every 5 year old.

That's how houses are supposed to look.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

immoral_
Oct 21, 2007

So fresh and so clean.

Young Orc

Facebook Aunt posted:

That's how houses are supposed to look.

I assume defenestration is the only way in or out.