Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Belkar draws a diagram explaining why the vampire can't be trusted.
Figure A) Living breathing cleric with little puff of air coming out of his mouth
Figure B) Vampire Cleric, no breath

Belkar: Now pay attention because I'm drawing my last breath here!

Please, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that's an extremely big parallel and I'm not sure what rich is going to do with it

I don't really think it's something that's going to be "used" later. The whole memory has been mirroring things that are happening during the battle. I think it's supposed to underscore and/or illustrate just what a distracting/disabling effect the memory has on Nokrud.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Tenebrais posted:

I ain't been vampired! You've been Weatherwaxed Thundershielded!

:bisonyes:

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Shugojin posted:

Yeah that's an extremely big parallel and I'm not sure what rich is going to do with it

Durkon has been the vehicle for his redemption ever since his death, and a big part of it is that he never actively attempted to redeem Belkar, but just extended the selflessness he has for everyone to the person he hated most. In this strip he redeems another evildoer, also through his passive selflessness, even if he somehow found a way to weaponize it.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Comic in video form

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Was just reading up on the time Durkon turned undead (:v:) and realized, dang, this vampire thing has covered a quarter of the comic's runtime up til now. It feels so recent.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

So my guess is Durkon will allow Belkar to stake him, belkar will realise it was the real Durkon having reasserted himself, and this will make his guilt even worse to the point he willingly sacrifices himself to make amends

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

So my guess is Durkon will allow Belkar to stake him, belkar will realise it was the real Durkon having reasserted himself, and this will make his guilt even worse to the point he willingly sacrifices himself to make amends

Sacrifice himself to what end, though?

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

I'm gobsmacked that all these years of build up were working towards Durkon tricking the vampire into being overwhelmed with the positive feelings of Family and Friendship. This was dumb and I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading it to get this payoff.

Though I guess it did make me realize I didn't like the last three arcs I've read, Airship, the Paladin Patreon thing, and this one; so it's pretty definitive that the comic isn't for me anymore.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Belkar gonna get hit once by something, re-kill Nokrud, and then die when his Barbarian Rage Extra HP go away

Llab
Dec 28, 2011

PEPSI FOR VG BABE
That was... I was shook reading that update. It's obvious something needs to happen between Belkar and Durkon now, but I don't know if it will end with Belkar staking Durkon. The old Belkar absolutely would do it, but I can't wait to see what new Belkar will do.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

The Order of the Stick: No, You Are The Durkon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

As I was about to eat the last human, Durkon said to me "We probably shouldn't". WE? I thought. There was only one set of footprints on the sand. That's when I realized, I was Durkon.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
"I'm not owned! I'm not owned!" I continue to insist as I slowly shrink and transform into Durkon Thundershield.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Perhaps your real alignment was the friends you made along the way

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Archenteron posted:

and then die when his Barbarian Rage Extra HP go away
Oh poo poo, you may be right.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Archenteron posted:

Belkar gonna get hit once by something, re-kill Nokrud, and then die when his Barbarian Rage Extra HP go away

Did he take any damage except from Roy's non-lethal?

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Galvanik posted:

I'm gobsmacked that all these years of build up were working towards Durkon tricking the vampire into being overwhelmed with the positive feelings of Family and Friendship. This was dumb and I wish I hadn't wasted my time reading it to get this payoff.

Though I guess it did make me realize I didn't like the last three arcs I've read, Airship, the Paladin Patreon thing, and this one; so it's pretty definitive that the comic isn't for me anymore.

Maybe you're a negative energy spirit.

Edit: Does Durkon doing this ultimately pull of a Wrath of Khan/Spock thingy? New Durkon isn't exactly Old Durkon but is now reasonably close enough? Like a copy? Maybe closer to a Heroic Spirit/Servant?

Raenir Salazar fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jul 27, 2018

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Who What Now posted:

Did he take any damage except from Roy's non-lethal?
He has no red-line wounds on his body indicating lost HP.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
This book has been a great Eulogy for Durkon Thundershield, and I'm gonna be real sad when he dies for real at the end of it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Galvanik posted:

Lol ok

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

another fun little panel: durkon trying to play what looks like a saxophone and squeaky covering his ears and grimacing

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

another fun little panel: durkon trying to play what looks like a saxophone and squeaky covering his ears and grimacing
Well, not everyone can love toy pianos.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Doesn't Hilgya want to kill Durkon? I can't imagine that she'll just drop that once the domination wears off.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ultrafilter posted:

Doesn't Hilgya want to kill Durkon? I can't imagine that she'll just drop that once the domination wears off.

Hell yeah. This is going to be messy.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

ultrafilter posted:

Durkon has to die, there's no way around that. He's not going to try drinking blood to survive.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Belkar's going to realize it's the real Durkon and refuse to kill him, only for Hilgya to do the honors happily.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Yeah I think vamped durkon getting got here is all but certain. Fortunately, the party has one high-level cleric standing by, plus more than a dozen of them less than a day's flight from them that would probably assist, least of all the High Cleric of Thor.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Roy once said that if you told Durkon that he needed to leave in order to save people, we would break his legs kicking his own rear end out the door.

If Belkar or Hilgya did try to kill him, I don't think he would stop them, given the circumstances.

EDIT: Man, I can't not read this comic without squeaky voices and cartoonish sound effects, even though this comic has a Vampires head being sawn off.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah I think vamped durkon getting got here is all but certain. Fortunately, the party has one high-level cleric standing by, plus more than a dozen of them less than a day's flight from them that would probably assist, least of all the High Cleric of Thor.

I feel Durkon not dying for real in this arc would be unsatisfying. This has been the perfect coda for his character, and it'll be more interesting for the Order to learn to go on and finish all this without him in the last book.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Funny bonus in all this: Thor is a canonical (and pretty decent for his level) Persona.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I feel Durkon not dying for real in this arc would be unsatisfying. This has been the perfect coda for his character, and it'll be more interesting for the Order to learn to go on and finish all this without him in the last book.

On the other hand, Thor has a vested interest in not seeing the world destroyed. A high-level priest who's already defeated one of Hel's most powerful minions might be very interesting to him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kerning Chameleon posted:

I'm kinda feeling the opposite - I think this arc is a perfect encapsulation of why Durkon would want to be rez'ed. Because he knows that even if they stop Hel's scheme here, Xykon still remains a threat to the last Gate, and after dealing with him, the Snarl itself could become another potential threat to the world.

Sure, Durkon could let the Order/Hilgya kill him here, go on to Valhalla for living an honorable life and dying an honorable death after thwarting Hel's plans... but that wouldn't be Durkon to just turn his back on the rest of the world when he knows his help is still needed. If he were capable of that, he wouldn't have sacrificed his life for Belkar's.

If anything, I see him dying, maybe briefly getting to visit Valhalla, meeting his father there... and then he leaves when the Order finds a cleric to rez him (there's no guarantee Hilgya would be willing to do so), perhaps with his father asking him if he really has to go back and why can't he just stay and leave the fight to someone else? And Durkon responds that it wouldn't be right for him to just kick back in Valhalla and leave the problem up to someone else when he knows he can make a difference.

As Roy put it before they set out from Thor's temple, the Order doesn't need a cleric... it needs Durkon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MarquiseMindfang posted:

e; So is the implication that the whole "when I have all your memories you stop existing" thing was always a falsehood, or is it that the predomination could always have gone either way without the spirit knowing it?

It wasn't "you stop existing" it was "i have no more use for you and just lock you in some corner of the psyche where i never have to even think about you again." After absorbing ALL of her memories. Human-cleric-vampire who's host was really agreeable and had a bunch of repressed evil thoughts probably would've chosen to keep her around for fun color commentary if she lived that long, for example.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

reignonyourparade posted:

It wasn't "you stop existing" it was "i have no more use for you and just lock you in some corner of the psyche where i never have to even think about you again." After absorbing ALL of her memories. Human-cleric-vampire who's host was really agreeable and had a bunch of repressed evil thoughts probably would've chosen to keep her around for fun color commentary if she lived that long, for example.

With that in mind, this was actually a pretty risky gambit on Durkon's part. If Nokrud hadn't succumbed to it, Durkon would have probably been shoved in the eidetic dog house pretty soon after this was over.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

With that in mind, this was actually a pretty risky gambit on Durkon's part. If Nokrud hadn't succumbed to it, Durkon would have probably been shoved in the eidetic dog house pretty soon after this was over.

Yeah well, if the vampire truly won, they'd all be dead anyways

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
On the topic of vampires and not existing, what would happen to the spirit if/when Durkon finally gets put down for good? Would he go to an afterlife, back to Hel herself (which would probably be... Unpleasant), or would he just cease to exist? If he goes along with the things people have suggested here, he might be making a bigger sacrifice than Durkon, who died fighting and defending his comrade, so the only reason he's not in Valhalla already was Malack shackling him there; presumably he'd go there when his soul was freed, since things happening after he died denying him that would be pretty ridiculous.

Mind, if he is exactly like Durkon now, then he would likely do so anyway. I'm just curious. I remember Malack saying something about dying and being revived changing him and making who he is cease to be, but that might just be referring to the original soul taking charge again, which wasn't known then, rather than the fate of the vampire itself.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jul 27, 2018

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
Speaking of Malack, this brings the whole notion of who he was before he was vamp'ed into consideration. The vampire inside him had a considerably longer time to acclimate to memories and feelings, so by the time the encounter with Durkon came around, it wasn't quite as disparate as we previously thought?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

XkyRauh posted:

Speaking of Malack, this brings the whole notion of who he was before he was vamp'ed into consideration. The vampire inside him had a considerably longer time to acclimate to memories and feelings, so by the time the encounter with Durkon came around, it wasn't quite as disparate as we previously thought?

Also the original soul might not retain the literally centuries of memories Malack had, the way it works is not certain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

XkyRauh posted:

Malack was actually a source of theorizing that there was at least SOME internalization going on.
IIRC he refers to what we're pretty sure were the hosts brothers as his own (when talking about killing them.)