Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

As a parent, I miss toy stores.

TRU had everything in one place. You didn't have to guess at how something looked or felt in person- you could compare the different options right in front of you.

Then there were other toys next to it. Maybe the kid would like that too!

The kid can get an idea of what she likes too. Maybe she sees something else really cool that she'd rather spend her money on instead.

Target is usually a mess in the toy aisles and usually seem out of stock.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jul 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
who the gently caress is going to the movies that much Jesus

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
I got a notification on my MoviePass app, they're back online now. Not only that, they're also introducing new features soon. :lol:

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Well we know their aws/firebase bills are paid up at least

^^ dammit

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Imagine being a moviepass employee right now

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

HEY NONG MAN posted:

who the gently caress is going to the movies that much Jesus

I had movie pass last summer and through this spring, and I went pretty frequently. The big cinemas in Seattle get all the good stuff so it wasn’t just endless blockbusters, and if I had nothing better to do it was cool being able to stop at the movies on the way home and walk into a screening of like, Phantom Thread or whatever and not even think about it. You do (did) have to be a film dork with free time, though.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

EdithUpwards posted:

TRU was killed by Bain.

Exactly this. TRU was leveraged into a position where the slightest downturn in business would put them under.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Liquid Communism posted:

Exactly this. TRU was leveraged into a position where the slightest downturn in business would put them under.

Someone here argued that TRU was pretty profitable but their entire profit every year went to servicing the acquisition debt. Very sad.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

anonumos posted:

Someone here argued that TRU was pretty profitable but their entire profit every year went to servicing the acquisition debt. Very sad.
Babies R Us helped float them a few extra years down the line.

The loss of both sucks, since Giant Toy store is still a cool thing to waltz through (and I'm sad I'll never get to see my kids freak out at all the toys), and BRU was super handy once you hit the late 20s and your friends start babying up.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I still think Bain probably just hastened the inevitable; TRU was a big thing when you could only reliably find All The Toys there, nowadays, well, you have Amazon.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I still think Bain probably just hastened the inevitable; TRU was a big thing when you could only reliably find All The Toys there, nowadays, well, you have Amazon.

The entire reason they were bought out by private equity firms is because Wal Mart ate into their market share and they had to declare bankruptcy.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Amazon is terrible for two important points. Firstly, deciding if something is going to be too small/fragile for a kid. Secondly, avoiding even shoddier knockoffs.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Liquid Communism posted:

Amazon is terrible for two important points. Firstly, deciding if something is going to be too small/fragile for a kid. Secondly, avoiding even shoddier knockoffs.
Aren’t toy reviews a huge YouTube thing right now? Or is that more because kids wanna see toys and less parents researching?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
People talk about their kid being obsessed with unboxing videos or videos of kids playing with toys or videos of other people playing Minecraft but I never see it.

What age is this happening? My kid is almost five and he only ever wants to watch videos that we’ve made of him doing stuff. Or he wants to watch videos of my band which owns and all but come on kid nobody wants to watch that.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

HEY NONG MAN posted:

People talk about their kid being obsessed with unboxing videos or videos of kids playing with toys or videos of other people playing Minecraft but I never see it.

What age is this happening? My kid is almost five and he only ever wants to watch videos that we’ve made of him doing stuff. Or he wants to watch videos of my band which owns and all but come on kid nobody wants to watch that.

5 is young.

My 11-year-old watches YouTube constantly.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
I have said it before, almost all youtube videos that have dull/boring/stupid content that are also popular almost universally are actually just podcasts for kids where the personality speaking is a character and the actual action they are doing is just a backdrop for them to make jokes or tell stories or whatever. Like as an adult they are all unwatchable and stupid to me, but they all obviously are watched because of the podcast for kids nature more than for the actual nominal content. The people are always telling jokes and stories that a kid would like over whatever thing they do.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I have said it before, almost all youtube videos that have dull/boring/stupid content that are also popular almost universally are actually just podcasts for kids where the personality speaking is a character and the actual action they are doing is just a backdrop for them to make jokes or tell stories or whatever. Like as an adult they are all unwatchable and stupid to me, but they all obviously are watched because of the podcast for kids nature more than for the actual nominal content. The people are always telling jokes and stories that a kid would like over whatever thing they do.

This is more or less why I listen to Your Kickstarter Sucks

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Regular Nintendo posted:

This is more or less why I listen to Your Kickstarter Sucks

It’s not even a new thing. Tons of people that don’t care about cars listened to car talk. Things often have themes where the actual draw is the host, it’s not even a new idea.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s not even a new thing. Tons of people that don’t care about cars listened to car talk. Things often have themes where the actual draw is the host, it’s not even a new idea.

Half of every Top Gear/Grand Tour fan I know watches it because it is three dudes doing stupid things in cars and occasionally they may review something

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Dameius posted:

Half of every Top Gear/Grand Tour fan I know watches it because it is three dudes doing stupid things in cars and occasionally they may review something

Yeah, as an adult most children YouTube stuff is like nails on chalkboards annoying but the base concept of “people do little skits and stories tied together with a theme or premise” isn’t weird or alien at all.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I’ll just have my kid watch Mr Show then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, as an adult most children YouTube stuff is like nails on chalkboards annoying but the base concept of “people do little skits and stories tied together with a theme or premise” isn’t weird or alien at all.

I remember like half of live action children's TV being that when I was a kid.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Wait, I thought it was toy reviews. Is it just...unboxing videos of toys?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Pants Donkey posted:

Wait, I thought it was toy reviews. Is it just...unboxing videos of toys?

Theres a few channels that make millions every year from sponsored videos of them just opening toys and showing them off. Theres one 11 year old kid I think that has like 4 million subscribers or something bananas.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

serious gaylord posted:

Theres a few channels that make millions every year from sponsored videos of them just opening toys and showing them off. Theres one 11 year old kid I think that has like 4 million subscribers or something bananas.

My 3 year old son's favorite channel now is a kid and his dad who build lego sets or unbox tonka trucks and play with them. It's part review, part unboxing, part speed build, part randomness of a dad and his son.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

anonumos posted:

My 3 year old son's favorite channel now is a kid and his dad who build lego sets or unbox tonka trucks and play with them. It's part review, part unboxing, part speed build, part randomness of a dad and his son.

I picture you sitting on the floor, across the room, amid a pile of Lego boxes, looking very sad. :(

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Toys r Us Canada still exists and was somehow one of the things keeping Its parent company alive (much like Sears Canada) but TRU went backrupt before destroying its Canadian division unlike Sears.

Internet shopping in Canada basically doesn’t exist.

Kommienzuspadt
Apr 28, 2004

U like it

sbaldrick posted:

Wait, really?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Kommienzuspadt posted:

Wait, really?

Amazon Canada has a slightly smaller selection of goods, it's apparently the end of the world or something. Who knows?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
I just moved up to Canada from America and they (we!) are kinda weirdly behind on a lot of things.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Isn't there some sort of fuckery where a lot of Canadian debit cards still get issued that don't work on credit card networks, and vast amounts of sites don't bother to support the Canadian debit network? Even when the site does sell in and ship to Canadian buyers.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Beachcomber posted:

I picture you sitting on the floor, across the room, amid a pile of Lego boxes, looking very sad. :(

3 is a little young for Lego, so think of it more as preparation for when the kid gets older. dad won't have to teach him how things go together since he already knows, so they can jump right into building a 10000 piece Millennium Falcon or whatever

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

sbaldrick posted:

I live in the Alabama of Canada and that's a big nope little buddy. People buy poo poo online all the time.

As for Amazon, from what I've seen if it's listed on amazon.com but not amazon.ca that usually means that product is getting stopped at the border. Otherwise Amazon doesn't care and will sell the same products.

fishmech posted:

Isn't there some sort of fuckery where a lot of Canadian debit cards still get issued that don't work on credit card networks, and vast amounts of sites don't bother to support the Canadian debit network? Even when the site does sell in and ship to Canadian buyers.

Most debit cards in Canada are tied specifically to your bank account and aren't supplied by a credit card company. Since a lot of US sites assume you have one of those, you need a credit card issued debit card to buy things. To get around that, the banks up here can give you a Visa Debit which basically works like a US version for online stuff.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stretch Marx posted:

Most debit cards in Canada are tied specifically to your bank account and aren't supplied by a credit card company. Since a lot of US sites assume you have one of those, you need a credit card issued debit card to buy things. To get around that, the banks up here can give you a Visa Debit which basically works like a US version for online stuff.

US debit cards are tied specifically to your bank account and aren't supplied by a credit card company even though the same bank likely issues credit cards too.

But the US banks near-universally put their cards onto either Visa or Mastercard on top of being in an ATM/debit network like Allpoint, PLUS, STAR or Interlink. Brick and mortar stores and the ATMs are capable of accessing the cards through at least one debit network and usually one or two credit networks, and online stuff tends to rely on the credit facing side of it only with exceptions where certain sites also except the (rare, pretty much only used by the elderly) strictly debit and ATM cards.

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

fishmech posted:

What you're thinking of is Interac which has actually been pretty awesome traditionally. But yes, online retailers have been slow to adopt it as a payment method (probably due to the widespread usage of credit cards on the Visa/Mastercard networks) and I think at this point many Canadians think of online shopping as the domain of credit cards.

Visa Debit does exist with some Canadian banks at least. I got a debit card a couple years ago that was Visa Debit enabled and I didn't understand what that meant when I got it. I imagine Visa Debit is still a foreign concept to most Canadians. Interac is king.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
There are a lot of limitations on things up here, it kinda makes me feel like I'm back in in like, 2004.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Magic Hate Ball posted:

There are a lot of limitations on things up here, it kinda makes me feel like I'm back in in like, 2004.

Oh be careful what you wish for lest it becomes true. In 2004 my town still had many shops, a big department store, coffee houses, a thriving market and a post office. Now it’s empty store fronts, and the bigger buildings are being converted into hotels no one will come to and apartments no one wants to live in because the big new high speed rail line is now going to bypass our town.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
House of Fraser appears to be dead, with the risk of 6000 directly employed and 11,000 'secondary' who man the concession stands in each store for makeup/shoes/brands etc.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just moved up to Canada from America and they (we!) are kinda weirdly behind on a lot of things.

While that’s true in some ways, last time I was in the States I didn’t see a single place that used tap technology for their debit/credit machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CopywrightMMXI posted:

While that’s true in some ways, last time I was in the States I didn’t see a single place that used tap technology for their debit/credit machines.

Because banks tried to introduce that back about ~5 years ago and it didn't catch on. My banks for instance issued me new cards with the tap stuff added in that time frame and then both sent me replacements without it a few years later without explanation.