Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BrownieVK posted:

Halo 5s multiplayer is the best in the series hands down. It's also X enhanced and looks amazing on a 4k panel. The story is really really dumb but whatever.
MCC is getting updated to 4k eventually but even now it runs fine and you can play all of the campaigns in 1080 60fps. The multiplayer also works fine I was just on it the other day with the wife and we had no issue finding games quickly. Big team battles in Halo 3 are fun as hell.
Don't let the sad brains in here dissuade anyone from an X1 there is plenty to play on it, and everything looks and plays better than anywhere besides a PC.

Finding matches takes forever in both MCC and Halo 5, populations must be extremely low for both games. All the loot boxes popping up completely killed any interest I ever had in playing Halo 5 multiplayer.

And there's barely any exclusives on Xbonx, it's super sad and obvious Microsoft has let the division languish for many years now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
It's crazy how Halo used to be Call of Duty levels of megapopular, but now is just another notable game release out of the sea of dozens.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lambert posted:

And there's barely any exclusives on Xbonx, it's super sad and obvious Microsoft has let the division languish for many years now.

Its a great time for :pcgaming:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
lol yeah remember when microsoft told Bungie to gently caress off because they were sure they could make a Halo game on their own and the tentpole series of their entire games division fell over and died.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

lol yeah remember when microsoft told Bungie to gently caress off because they were sure they could make a Halo game on their own and the tentpole series of their entire games division fell over and died.

Im mad that the macintosh only rts i was promised never happened. Thanks a lot bill gates

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

RBX posted:

For Halo every numbered game and Reach matters, for gears you can ignore judgment.

All those games are excellent so don't worry. Do you play on OC, if not I have more games you can look into.

What's OC? Feel free to give me any recommendations. I haven't played xbox since Halo 2 in my dorm years ago.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You don’t buy a Xbox one x to pay Microsoft games. You buy it because it runs third party and old games better and has a better / less toxic community than psn and a better UI

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Hmm

BrownieVK
Nov 10, 2009

Eat my ass

Lambert posted:

Finding matches takes forever in both MCC and Halo 5, populations must be extremely low for both games. All the loot boxes popping up completely killed any interest I ever had in playing Halo 5 multiplayer.

The "loot boxes" are 100% optional. Those are cards for the Warzone and firefight game type where you can spawn with the items on the cards after getting enough points. This is entirely separate from social or ranked multiplayer which is old arena style control of power weapons and everyone spawns with the same loadout. I used to play H5 all the time up until a few months ago. Matches usually take 30 seconds to a minute to load.
Not really sure if anyone in here actually has played any of the games they are bitching about?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Real hurthling! posted:

Im mad that the macintosh only rts i was promised never happened. Thanks a lot bill gates

Yeah, looking forward to the Marathon remastered 4K edition.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
I played H4 and 5 mp and they aren't bad for a halfway point between Halo and COD but it's extremely laughable to pretend they're anywhere near as good as Bungies' good Halo games. I never had problems with matchmaking but I never tried playing at any point after the natural fall-off point for mp games that aren't that great.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I wonder why Halo has had such a steep drop in popularity over the past decade?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

punk rebel ecks posted:

because 4 and 5 weren't very good
reach was great though

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Empress Brosephine posted:

You don’t buy a Xbox one x to pay Microsoft games. You buy it because it runs third party and old games better and has a better / less toxic community than psn and a better UI

The Xbox UI is super terrible, the PS4 has a much better interface. What the hell was MS thinking. Also lmao @ "less toxic community".

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Empress Brosephine posted:

You buy it because it runs third party and old games better and has a better / less toxic community than psn and a better UI

A PC does the first two things better, the Xbox just has less community full stop and who the gently caress gives a poo poo about the UI? You see it for 3 or 4 seconds before you start a game.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

punk rebel ecks posted:

because people finally woke up to the fact that halo sucks poo poo and always has

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

BrownieVK posted:

The "loot boxes" are 100% optional. Those are cards for the Warzone and firefight game type where you can spawn with the items on the cards after getting enough points. This is entirely separate from social or ranked multiplayer which is old arena style control of power weapons and everyone spawns with the same loadout. I used to play H5 all the time up until a few months ago. Matches usually take 30 seconds to a minute to load.
Not really sure if anyone in here actually has played any of the games they are bitching about?

I have. Searching matches regularly takes minutes at a time.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Lambert posted:

The Xbox UI is super terrible, the PS4 has a much better interface. What the hell was MS thinking. Also lmao @ "less toxic community".

they both have terrible ui why the gently caress are people still arguing about this lmao

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I'd dispute "less community" than PC. Xbox is still selling tons, just can't keep up with the miracle that is ps4.

On PC games are much more in danger of having empty lobbies.

edit: not best selling xbox, no one actually knows since numbers aren't released. Bad info from a podcast. :(

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 27, 2018

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
They're both pretty bad but the xbone definitely seems like someone actively tried to make something worse than the PS4's and somehow succeeded.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

punk rebel ecks posted:

You left college. Halo 5 had the best launch in the franchise and Im fairly sure each has sold more than the previous.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

a bitchin jetski posted:

A PC does the first two things better, the Xbox just has less community full stop and who the gently caress gives a poo poo about the UI? You see it for 3 or 4 seconds before you start a game.
I like that the latest update changed the mixer tab so that my most powerful console ever doesn't stutter as much when going to the store tab to buy more games I'll never play.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Intel&Sebastian posted:

They're both pretty bad but the xbone definitely seems like someone actively tried to make something worse than the PS4's and somehow succeeded.

They should just make the input reader ignore commands while the ui is lagging so hitting b twice in the store doesnt send you back 2 pages when it finally decides to load

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Barudak posted:

You left college. Halo 5 had the best launch in the franchise and Im fairly sure each has sold more than the previous.

the numbers i can find show that halo 4 sold less than halo 3 or reach, and halo 5 sold less than halo 4

so uh

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the numbers i can find show that halo 4 sold less than halo 3 or reach, and halo 5 sold less than halo 4

so uh

Please only quote engagement figs

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I'd dispute "less community" than PC. Xbox is still selling tons, the most successful Xbox ever, just can't keep up with the miracle that is ps4.

The Xbox One is far behind the 360 launch aligned, it is absolutely not "the most successful Xbox ever" or "selling tons".

Barudak posted:

Also not true (and the "biggest launch" thing was some "game and hardware" meaningless PR number MS was touting)

Lambert fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jul 27, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Barudak posted:

The WiiU was Nintendo's most successful launch ever

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Halo

Seems that the series has sold consistently with Halo 3 being the outlier. Though that means the series has declined in relative popularity.

TheScott2K posted:

The WiiU was Nintendo's most successful launch ever

Successful launches don't mean poo poo because it's all early adopters at that point who are all diehard fans.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

I'd dispute "less community" than PC. Xbox is still selling tons, the most successful Xbox ever, just can't keep up with the miracle that is ps4.

On PC games are much more in danger of having empty lobbies.

Oh my god

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

RBX posted:

Oh my god

I retract best selling xbox, got bad info somewhere, but my PC gaming experience was filled with empty lobbies in games where you'd never see empty lobbies on any console.

Obviously some games like PUBG, Overwatch, etc will be more popular on PC though.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I always assumed Halo's decline in mainstream popularity happened due to Call of Duty taking over (back then, at least), combined with 4's underwhelming multiplayer that everyone hated and had a very sharp player drop shortly after release.

I retract best selling xbox, got bad info somewhere, but my PC gaming experience was filled with empty lobbies in games where you'd never see empty lobbies on any console.

Obviously some games like PUBG, Overwatch, etc will be more popular on PC though.

MP popularity on PC is really hit and miss and it's going to depend on the game. On PC Call of Duty is practically dead, especially if you're outside the US, but you can consistently find matches on console, especially PS4.
Games with tacked on online modes will also be somewhat active while on PC they'll be DOA.

If I had to take a wild generalized guess I'd say that annual/bi-annual games tend to be forgotten quickly on PC and the games that remain popular are the evergreen games as service ones like PUBG/Fortnite/R6 and mobas.

GUI fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jul 27, 2018

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Halo 3's MP numbers were absolute insanity since it was basically the only online multiplayer FPS at the time, it took a few releases on 360/PS3 before Call of Duty really started getting serious multiplayer inertia. I don't think a game can hit those kinds of numbers ever again, there's just too much competition now.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
It was also extremely good. Just about every map was great and the physics and balance allowed for a lot of really varied and crazy situations, great replay and match review system. Really great gameplay for flag/bomb modes. All before the weird psychology hooks of progression other than like, your icon/number by your name maybe?

I wish we had direct youtube upload back then. I remember shooting down a banshee in one of the old blood gulch maps bases, turning around to walk away and then the large "head" piece of it fell perfectly on me and killed me. Also had one of the classic "grenade accelerates an orange cone to lethal speeds" deaths too.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jul 27, 2018

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Lambert posted:

Wait until you deal with this crap (not the xbone) on the enterprise side.

So many decent products. Let's buttfuck them.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

I played a ton of halo 3 even after cod mw came out but yeah cod really changed the landscape of shooters and now everyone is copying that model to some degree.

Halo 5 would have had a much better chance of surviving if they didn't have the lovely moba mode as their only social/unranked game mode for the launch period. The halo 5 ranked stuff was really good but sometimes you don't want to be playing against sperglords and want to play fun games on well designed maps that weren't bland Grey box spaces made in loving forge.

Halo 4 wasn't terrible MP Wise but it tried to incorporate too much cod.

Halo reach is the best story without a doubt. Maybe ODST? they both have such a feeling of hopelessness which was a great juxtaposition on 1/2/3s master chief is a badass who saves the world tone

Halo 3 is the best multiplayer.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

GUI posted:

I always assumed Halo's decline in mainstream popularity happened due to Call of Duty taking over (back then, at least), combined with 4's underwhelming multiplayer that everyone hated and had a very sharp player drop shortly after release.

Well yeah it's this. Like there was a good while where halo had a clear lead on good feeling fps shootin' on modern dual analogs and many games still hadn't quite got the hang of giving you a good feeling when fps'n. Not that COD aiming and stuff was ever particularly similar to halo ways, but they'd learned the same lessons the Halo devs did for providing a good way to do it, ya know?

There's just so many things you gotta do right to have an online multiplayer that's fun for like deep fans of a genre versus classic halo like "everyone likes this mp p much"

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

I'm not sure where you are finding empty lobbies on PC, but popular games are doing very well and it's easy to find games. Unpopular games have low player count on xbox/playstation as well.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's confused why COD 43 and NBA 2K29 aren't the top of steam. Console online games peaked around that Era. They really died when party chat was solidified and everybody ran away never to socialize with anybody outside of their bubble ever again. Half the fun of games like Halo were the random funny moments and actually being able to talk to the enemy team. Console games had real communities back then.

HoneyBakedMAN
Oct 26, 2007
Sliced for babewiches

RBX posted:

He's confused why COD 43 and NBA 2K29 aren't the top of steam. Console online games peaked around that Era. They really died when party chat was solidified and everybody ran away never to socialize with anybody outside of their bubble ever again. Half the fun of games like Halo were the random funny moments and actually being able to talk to the enemy team. Console games had real communities back then.

Yeah, that sucks. My favorite gaming memories were talking with strangers in Counter Strike and forming strategies. Now it's just random chaos that gets old after an hour or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah the pre/post smack talk in halo 3 lobbies was hilarious.

Especially in the unranked playlist where proximity voice worked and idiots would be hiding or sneaking and talking into their headset loudly and give away their position.