Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

hail adventurer, might i interest you in mine fine milk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

for people not sure what this is about, the escapist has declared that their content will be expressly APOLITICAL from here on out

if you're not familiar with the escapist magazine, they were the vidcons magazine that largely "leaned in" to the gamergate scandal, including inviting harassers and rape apologists to their platform

most of their staff eventually left the platform as it became too lovely a place to work and too hostile a community to deal with, then they fired everyone who kept on except for a dude named yahtzee, who is basically the walmart brand total biscuit

I think they've recently scraped some money together and hired a bunch of conservative writers who didn't really do anything in games writing previously, which really does cement their desire to keep politics out of games journalism

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

SpaceGoku posted:

for people not sure what this is about, the escapist has declared that their content will be expressly APOLITICAL from here on out

if you're not familiar with the escapist magazine, they were the vidcons magazine that largely "leaned in" to the gamergate scandal, including inviting harassers and rape apologists to their platform

most of their staff eventually left the platform as it became too lovely a place to work and too hostile a community to deal with, then they fired everyone who kept on except for a dude named yahtzee, who is basically the walmart brand total biscuit

I think they've recently scraped some money together and hired a bunch of conservative writers who didn't really do anything in games writing previously, which really does cement their desire to keep politics out of games journalism

Will this be the future home of Incel Corner now that Milo's venture failed?

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

SpaceGoku posted:

Do they still have the Unskppable people?

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

business hammocks posted:

can we mock them ruthlessly?

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

I think incels are probably too pathetic and off-putting for even the escapist at the height of its gamergate support but time makes fools of us all so I look forward to be proven wrong!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

namesake posted:

*sidles up to next a woman while wearing badly fitting leather trousers*

"You know back in the real middle ages there wouldn't have been ANY black people here! Isn't that amazing!?!"

Wow, how'd you get that BTS footage of the Kingdom Come: Deliverance development?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Serf posted:

stormtrooper av and controller emoji in the display name lol

They targeted gamers.

Gamers.

We're a group of people who will sit for hours, days, even weeks on end performing some of the hardest, most mentally demanding tasks. Over, and over, and over all for nothing more than a little digital token saying we did.

We'll punish our selfs doing things others would consider torture, because we think it's fun.

We'll spend most if not all of our free time min maxing the stats of a fictional character all to draw out a single extra point of damage per second.

Many of us have made careers out of doing just these things: slogging through the grind, all day, the same quests over and over, hundreds of times to the point where we know evety little detail such that some have attained such gamer nirvana that they can literally play these games blindfolded.

Do these people have any idea how many controllers have been smashed, systems over heated, disks and carts destroyed 8n frustration? All to latter be referred to as bragging rights?

These people honestly think this is a battle they can win? They take our media? We're already building a new one without them. They take our devs? Gamers aren't shy about throwing their money else where, or even making the games our selves. They think calling us racist, mysoginistic, rape apologists is going to change us? We've been called worse things by prepubescent 10 year olds with a lovely head set. They picked a fight against a group that's already grown desensitized to their strategies and methods. Who enjoy the battle of attrition they've threatened us with. Who take it as a challange when they tell us we no longer matter. Our obsession with proving we can after being told we can't is so deeply ingrained from years of dealing with big brothers/sisters and friends laughing at how pathetic we used to be that proving you people wrong has become a very real need; a honed reflex.

Gamers are competative, hard core, by nature. We love a challange. The worst thing you did in all of this was to challange us. You're not special, you're not original, you're not the first; this is just another boss fight.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
source your quotes holy poo poo.

Serf
May 5, 2011

sneakyfrog posted:

source your quotes holy poo poo.

that was one of the early gamergate posts

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

That’s right up there with the guy who wrote out a big post about how he had been a social democrat his whole life but was going to vote straight-ticket republican from that point on to punish all the women and gays who were threatening his video games.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

That’s right up there with the guy who wrote out a big post about how he had been a social democrat his whole life but was going to vote straight-ticket republican from that point on to punish all the women and gays who were threatening his video games.

lmao i hope he had an aneurysm after parkland when trump said "maybe the problem is these video games, and we should ban em"

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
feels like alex jones is ramping up to create some high profile murder. that's always sort of the case i think but his latest stunts seem a lot more explicit with the encouragement of political violence

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Office Pig posted:

feels like alex jones is ramping up to create some high profile murder. that's always sort of the case i think but his latest stunts seem a lot more explicit with the encouragement of political violence

is this the thread where I can point out that this is true and hsi whole MO is stochastic terrorism and people will call me smart?

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Office Pig posted:

He got himself tempbanned from both YouTube and Facebook. That takes a lot.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

is this the thread where I can point out that this is true and hsi whole MO is stochastic terrorism and people will call me smart?

i'll call you smart

because we all need a pick me up from time to time, and i am here to hold you lofty heights friend

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

My Cuck Dad posted:

He got himself tempbanned from both YouTube and Facebook. That takes a lot.

the infowars facebook account is still posting because it's only his personal account that got limited. the other admins have no such obligation to stop posting lol

so the entire past day has been videos about how facebook is censoring him, posted to facebook

https://twitter.com/cwarzel/status/1022888976418365440?s=19

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

it owns that the legalistic and impersonal weighted average algorithmic approach to content moderation can only ever backfire in the face of predatory ideologues, and that the tech companies that control our lives and our personal media are incapable of viewing the world through any other lens

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

wait actually that doesn't own

oh poo poo that's actually bad

gently caress!!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 24 days!)

SpaceGoku posted:

except for a dude named yahtzee, who is basically the walmart brand total biscuit

They didn't fire yahtzee because he's the only reason they get any traffic.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Zikan posted:

incredibly shocked at this newest completely unforeseeable development

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1022878056174759938?s=21
oh yeah this has been happening for ages. when i started looking into ones in my area, like half were ren faire LARPers. they love that poo poo

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Office Pig posted:

alex jones has a beard now so i think you're right

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

MMA is more politically diverse than every other sport, because pro fighters are all maniacs.

I mean, if your job required you to sustain multiple head injuries over the course of your career you'd probably come up with some pretty wild ideas too

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

some of them are openly communist so head injuries can’t be all bad

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
"Marx was right" I write on my gloves before ko'ing a chechen kid

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1022910522218307584
https://twitter.com/jason_a_w/status/1022971359784103937
pop mob = popular mobilization

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

so theyre just straight up planning to attack a dsa thing now

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Zikan posted:

incredibly shocked at this newest completely unforeseeable development

https://twitter.com/thedailybeast/status/1022878056174759938?s=21

I'm not a daily beast gold club member what's the article say

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.
Alt right getting into LARP and medieval stuff isn't really news. It's been a problem in various medieval combat circles for years, although some of the sports have been very vocal about kicking them the gently caress out, so that's cool.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Amish Ninja posted:

Alt right getting into LARP and medieval stuff isn't really news. It's been a problem in various medieval combat circles for years, although some of the sports have been very vocal about kicking them the gently caress out, so that's cool.

tbf there is some natural overlap there

mostly with incels

Amish Ninja
Jul 2, 2006

It's called survival of the fittest. If you can't slam with the best, jam with the rest.

Yinlock posted:

mostly with incels

Depends on what sub-group you're talking about, really.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

Yinlock posted:

mostly with incels

Everyone at ren faire fucks everyone else though.

I refuse to believe its possible to not get laid at a ren faire.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

They didn't fire yahtzee because he's the only reason they get any traffic.

Speaking of, has he been milkshake ducked yet? I used to watch his videos a lot back in the day and he seemed to be into some of that edgy type humor that used to be popular back in the day (and is still popular with GG'ers today) though he never did anything too explicit.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

it's darkly humorous how the proud boys, and all altright groups in general coast on single videos of a single fight for months

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

yahtzee got started on sa lol

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mr Interweb posted:

Speaking of, has he been milkshake ducked yet? I used to watch his videos a lot back in the day and he seemed to be into some of that edgy type humor that used to be popular back in the day (and is still popular with GG'ers today) though he never did anything too explicit.

I've never heard anything bad about Yahtzee in the milkshake duck sense. I still watch Zero Punctuation once a month or so, and none of the jokes come off CHUDly.

Doc Neutral
Jan 31, 2014

Mr Interweb posted:

I don't think yahtzee ever was a chud, I mean even back in the days when I still used watched his poo poo I remember him being quite vocal both in video and in writing about the hosed up message sent being military shooters like CoD, where you go around shooting browns while pretending that an actual empire is the plucky little guy standing up to a bully and the dog poo poo potrayal of women in video games, who're almost always half naked while fighting next to their fully armoured male counterparts. It's really banal now in retrospect but pre-Sarkeesian he was one of the few people in games media who even pretend it was an issue, guess he either changed his mind or didn't have a spine enough to follow his colleagues in leaving the escapist after "both sides" bullshit.

Also what's a milkshake ducked lmao?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Doc Neutral posted:

Also what's a milkshake ducked lmao?

https://twitter.com/pixelatedboat/status/741904787361300481

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

There are no famous internet people his age who didn't