Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Expect My Mom posted:

people in this subforum usually keep relatively abreast of japanese politics (we've made a lot of shinzo abe jokes), but not even that it was a pretty big news story in my social circles, i even saw it discussed in like three threads here

here's a thread from someone who went to a protest about it
https://twitter.com/canicuIa/status/1022785392569765890

rude kids protests rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
I've never read an arranged marriage thing where it was bad or just loveless but I haven't read a ton of arranged marriage things

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Arranged marriages seem like a tricky thing to write about, because a positive spin is kind of implicit approval, but going too negative would just be writing misery which isn't great either (unless you like that genre I guess).

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
This week's Yami Shibai was good. A pretty, spooky swamp and the truest horror - nasty in-laws...

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Really it's just the "but everything worked out" cliche that's a thing, "then they had a family" has died off in popularity but I jammed it in there because that's how it goes in these fantasy worlds where nobody has to work themselves to death. If I could remember names for a drat I'd given examples.

Opantsu (nicovideo) is better than Back Street Girls. Production budget is either higher or the BSG staff had a legendarily huge drinking party before starting out, the characters are startlingly solid and believable, the overall heme manages to be less ultra-ridiculous, still a short as heck show where the title says all about its contents so it's not to everyone's taste, that's another point over BSG which is to no-one's taste.

I want to see it conquer BSG in whatever sales it can make for a deserved slapdown.

e: Harukana good. Hanebado is too much drama for me.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Jul 28, 2018

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I didn't think it was possible but Harukana Receive keeps getting gayer.

Even grandma and the turtle can tell.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 28, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Sindai posted:

I didn't think it was possible but Harukana Receive keeps getting gayer.

Even grandma and the turtle can tell.

Haven't watched today, but is it full on into Symphogear territory of subtext (read: it doesn't explicitly say they're into each other, but gods drat they're into each other)?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
did any good anime come out this season

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Counterargument:

Tonegawa.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

New season, same as the old season

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

anime bad, so what

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Oh now I remember why irony posting sucks

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I know enough folks in arranged marriages where it's pretty much worked out that an exclusively negative take on them would feel off

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
According to multiple(?) studies I have never and will never read people in arranged marriages are on average happier

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"

DisDisDis posted:

did any good anime come out this season

I choose to take you at face-value and recommend Hanebado!, Chio-chan, and High Score Girl.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

is that self reported happiness or an actual long term study

that said arranged marriages do at least have a starting point of 'okay, let's make this work and make some compromises, and if it kind of sucks but isnt abusive we
''l adjust' instead of 'wow! i wuv uuuuu :3'

infatuation fades out in a few years but a lot of people get married long before then and they're just stuck in a situation with someone they liked enough to be attracted to but not enough to actually like, spend the rest of their life with, but they just did it because they were supposed to, versus a situation where them just doing it because theyre supposed to is actually acknowledged

otoh a lot of arranged marriages, even in modern times, are functionally selling a young girl off without her consent, so, it varies. i do agree a purely negative take feels kind of naive tho

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Endorph posted:

is that self reported happiness or an actual long term study

that said arranged marriages do at least have a starting point of 'okay, let's make this work and make some compromises, and if it kind of sucks but isnt abusive we
''l adjust' instead of 'wow! i wuv uuuuu :3'

infatuation fades out in a few years but a lot of people get married long before then and they're just stuck in a situation with someone they liked enough to be attracted to but not enough to actually like, spend the rest of their life with, but they just did it because they were supposed to, versus a situation where them just doing it because theyre supposed to is actually acknowledged

otoh a lot of arranged marriages, even in modern times, are functionally selling a young girl off without her consent, so, it varies. i do agree a purely negative take feels kind of naive tho

When I looked the study in question was specifically Japanese arranged marriages which are less "sell off a kid" and more "you're 35 give us grandchildren, or at least move out we'll pay for poo poo". The latter tend to involve a whole lot of work and interviews and checking things out so the people involved at least can tolerate each other amicably.

It's still self reported happiness by people who are by default due to being in an arranged marriage far less likely to speak out if something was wrong so yeah probably horseshit I wouldn't pay much attention to.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
the newest JoJo OVA had an arranged marriage but the woman's previous boyfriend was possessed by a yokai and died so his body now bleeds forever so she keeps his body in the attic above her closet and has to drain his infinite blood every day

I don't imagine all arranged marriages are like that

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Expect My Mom posted:

the newest JoJo OVA had an arranged marriage but the woman's previous boyfriend was possessed by a yokai and died so his body now bleeds forever so she keeps his body in the attic above her closet and has to drain his infinite blood every day

I don't imagine all arranged marriages are like that

They are. The studies go into this as well

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Someone arrange a marriage for me

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Sakurazuka posted:

You're someone.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRuaHeoBqj8

Parallax
Jan 14, 2006

Sakurazuka posted:

Remarriage Foam

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Dracula is my friend.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

Dracula is my friend.

Draculas are nobody's friends

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

What's your income?

I've always wondered if they did arranged marriages irl compared to all the shows. Like wouldn't it be simple just to cancel unless you are in a drama.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
not sure what you think an arranged marriage is

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

What's your income?

I've always wondered if they did arranged marriages irl compared to all the shows. Like wouldn't it be simple just to cancel unless you are in a drama.

are you the dude or the lady in this scenario since that would probably have some impact

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I saw an episode of Arranged once and am now ready to discuss historic and modern arranged marriages at length

Also, I guess Bride's Story is full of them and not all of them are as loving and lucky as Amir & Karluk but they're mostly on the lighthearted side

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
chomp chomp

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Knorth posted:

chomp chomp

:3:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I also just started Banana Fish. More people should have been screaming at me to watch this. I like it quite a lot.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://files.catbox.moe/p4q8p2.mp4

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I also just started Banana Fish. More people should have been screaming at me to watch this. I like it quite a lot.

It's good but I hope it stops being

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8YbMGW6xSzw

when they get out of prison.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i dont speak jap what are they saying

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
jesus christ dude

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

where the red fern gropes posted:

i dont speak jap what are they saying

A)Intentional or not, "Jap" has a history of being used as a slur, so you probably shouldn't abbreviate it if you can help it.

B)It's an episode from Yama no Susume Season 3, where the girls are at a karaoke bar singing the lyrics for the first Opening of Yama no Susume Season 2. It's very good.

https://youtu.be/NTeLGxA1rrU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Julias posted:

A)Intentional or not, "Jap" has a history of being used as a slur, so you probably shouldn't abbreviate it if you can help it.

B)It's an episode from Yama no Susume Season 3, where the girls are at a karaoke bar singing the lyrics for the first Opening of Yama no Susume Season 2. It's very good.

https://youtu.be/NTeLGxA1rrU

ok i did not know that sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

I feel like Hanebado may be starting to try to hard at this point. The drama's started to get seriously overwrought, and Connie in particular is kind of loathsome and hard to watch in any capacity.

• Locked thread