Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brewmaster
Dec 10, 2007

Hi! I'm awkward.

Aramoro posted:

Most people in your country do not believe the system is broken. But it's good for us really because it gives us a sense of perspective, like look at what an unholy hellscape accessing healthcare is in the US, lets not do that.

I don't understand how anyone who has been to the doctors in the last 10 years thinks the system works well. Everyone knows it's broken, but apparently trying to fix it is socializm, and half the country thinks that our #1 priority should be building a wall and making life miserable for brown people. Land of the Free, Home of the Brave*

*some restrictions may apply

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought that something like 70% of Americans were all for universal healthcare.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Solice Kirsk posted:

I thought that something like 70% of Americans were all for universal healthcare.

You have spent to much time around internet communists.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Basically "I worked hard for my right to spend my money going broke for preventable diseases, why would I want to pay more in taxes, so that some lazy person can get it free." Of course the implication of "lazy person" is black or Mexican, and they completely miss the point that that tax would also cover themselves.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I'm sure the game-plan for MoviePass was to make up the difference in volume.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Jippa posted:

59% support medicare for all

I mean, that's not precisely universal health care and it's a mind-bending 11% lower, but eh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jippa posted:

Sure, but I was just wondering how it sold so many (1000).

He didn’t sell 1000 shirts.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Jippa posted:

They are but you can’t call it that.

If you just describe what it is then people are a lot more for it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

World War Mammories posted:

I mean, that's not precisely universal health care and it's a mind-bending 11% lower, but eh

If that poll is truly representative a significant proportion "support" universal health care but would never actually vote for a candidate that stood for it in an election? So kind of meaningless

Subjunctive posted:

He didn’t sell 1000 shirts.

Whoops, that does sound a silly amount reading it back.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Azhais posted:

see also: home ancestry dna test company selling giving all of their data to drug companies law enforcement agencies

ftfy

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
https://twitter.com/Yodacat69/status/1022530764842459136

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/StephenAtHome/s...r%3D915%23pti20

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Schad is on this dude's mentions

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Jippa posted:

If that poll is truly representative a significant proportion "support" universal health care but would never actually vote for a candidate that stood for it in an election? So kind of meaningless

This is kinda the main problem, words are cheap its how you actually vote that matters. Like people in the UK broadly think a hard Brexit is a bad idea but we still voted for it. The people in Poland and Hungary probably don't see themselves as right wing reactionaries, but you know, they voted for it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Aramoro posted:

This is kinda the main problem, words are cheap its how you actually vote that matters. Like people in the UK broadly think a hard Brexit is a bad idea but we still voted for it. The people in Poland and Hungary probably don't see themselves as right wing reactionaries, but you know, they voted for it.

I think it shows the limitations of certain sorts of polling to try and represent certain topics in an enormous amount of people like the US.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Voters' opinions aren't really coherent

I don't like Obama so I don't like UHC

I don't like Trump so I like the ACA now.

One of the reasons Dems get washed so bad is that they use polling to craft their platform, rather than using their platform to drive opinion. Republicans are great at that, which is why you have people living at the poverty level supporting lower taxes for the rich against all reason. The upshot is you can convince people that UHC is good with a good enough message/campaign.

suuma
Apr 2, 2009

Aramoro posted:

The day after the Brexit vote I remember seeing interviews of people that voted for it and a lot of them didn't even know what it was so I think voter education is probably a big issue too

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

suuma posted:

The day after the Brexit vote I remember seeing interviews of people that voted for it and a lot of them didn't even know what it was so I think voter education is probably a big issue too

https://twitter.com/GoogleTrends/status/746137920940056578

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

World War Mammories posted:

Just don't use the 'S' word

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

It really really depends on how you phrase the question.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Ravenfood posted:

Well that's everything. I'm in sales so am intimately acquainted with how to phrase questions to get the answers I want.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ravenfood posted:

Famously the ACA polled very poorly when called “Obamacare” but the individual provisions of the ACA polled very well when not connected to Obungler

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Jippa posted:

Sure, but I was just wondering how it sold so many (1000). I assumed it had to be a meme or what ever that every one loved. How many people even post in GIP?

72, not 1000.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/AaronBastani/status/1022898276692111362

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Holy geeze Piers face at the end is magnificent.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

ahhhhh, like a nice cold beer after a hot day

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

McNally posted:

72, not 1000.

LoL it's cool .

Lurker-bot 9000
Aug 14, 2007

SYSTEM MALFUNCTION
Why do they keep letting Piers Morgan be on TV? Is he the british version of fox news or what

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

DandyLion posted:

Holy geeze Piers face at the end is magnificent.

To be fair that's just his face. He looks exactly as stupid as he is.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Lurker-bot 9000 posted:

Why do they keep letting Piers Morgan be on TV? Is he the british version of fox news or what

No the British version of Fox News is...the news, for the most part. Pretty much the only source of journalism grounded in reality is the Financial Times.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

GrandpaPants posted:

To be fair that's just his face. He looks exactly as stupid as he is.

He's like Tucker Carlson. Take a freeze frame of any time he's on screen and he'll always be making the same dumb face.

Faustian Bargain
Apr 12, 2014

This is awesome. Definition of concern trolling. What did Piers say after this?

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Aramoro posted:

I don't quite get what his play is here, he already got away with rape. 3 Months and register as a sex offender is so weak a sentence it's unreal. But he keeps on trying to appeal. The only thing that matters really is registering as a sex offender and surely he'll still have to do that even with this defence.

Because he's a wealthy white guy who doesn't think he's a rapist even though he raped a woman. His father described what happened as "twenty minutes of action". They're garbage people.

This is the good poo poo.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Aramoro posted:

I don't quite get what his play is here, he already got away with rape. 3 Months and register as a sex offender is so weak a sentence it's unreal. But he keeps on trying to appeal. The only thing that matters really is registering as a sex offender and surely he'll still have to do that even with this defence.

From my reading of it, if he is successful here he might be able to drop down the length of time he is required to be on the registry. Since they aren't arguing the penetration with a foreign object convictions, he would still have a minimum of 20 years on it instead of life. So it seems like a dumb bet given that he could end up resentenced with time in prison added.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I bet he's banking on the same leniency he got the first time. He's not thinking about how that judge got thrown out; he's thinking of his advantages and how they're going to benefit him this time because, surely, all judges think the same. Remember, he doesn't think of himself as a rapist, and I'd bet anyone he still associates with doesn't, either, so he's getting nothing but positive reinforcement here, and he's not willing to believe there can be a negative end to this.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://i.imgur.com/2R5gb7v.mp4

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Can I get some kind of transcript or something please?

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

zoux posted:

I don't know how that was supposed to make money in the first place

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I'm sure the game-plan for MoviePass was to make up the difference in volume.

Not really, no. They legitimately lost money on any member who saw ~10 or more movies per year. They had a negative gross margin, meaning every additional sale lost more money. Thus more volume = more losses.

Lagomorphic posted:

Selling user data. Big data is the .com bubble of the late 2010's.

That's part of it. Another related part is to be more hands-on with the usual buyers of user data. In addition to selling data to advertisers, their business model is to cross-sell directly. They'll partner with Red Robin or whatever to give moviegoers a 10%!!!! off coupon to a restaurant/cafe/strip club as part of their movie night and make a commission on every conversion.

Predictive models didn't quite get the assumptions right, so they had to cut the loss per user by first limiting to one view per movie, cutting out popular AMC locations, and soon increasing their membership fees.

They would also love to have events like yesterday just-so-happen to highlight how much they control the movie market so they can demand more favorable deals with cinemas. Since theaters make more off concessions than tickets, it's likely they will give in to the market controlling nature of MoviePass and share profits in some way. That is, if the company doesn't run out of cash infusions.

Source: https://www.investopedia.com/news/how-moviepass-makes-or-doesnt-make-money/ and a podcast I can't be bothered to find but it's a podcast so it's gospel rite? :v: