Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Spikeguy posted:

I think Primal had a pretty decent ending at least straight forward enough. None of this you were the monster all along, or hey all the good guys were actually bad crap. Tribe continues - the end.

I genuinely adored the sun-tribes quest. There was something that just *clicked* with me thinking about how early man dealt with natural phenomenon that would be completely beyond their comprehension. The vision quests with the eclipse and wanting to "claim the sun" and then the final boss taking place during an actual eclipse and everyone's making GBS threads themselves, convinced the world was ending. Brilliant!

And then there's the impotent ice-cave clan and you... uh, chase a giant fertility statue down and... :shrug:

HEY! Alpha Protocol chat... AGAIN! I love it.

I loved unlocking the New Game ++ option where you're a veteran and start with almost all stats maxed out. That was when I did my "Batman" run. Complete stealth, non-leathal, no-guns (bosses nonwithstanding) and gadget heavy.

Is AP backwards compatible on the Xbone? There's STILL achievements I haven't got for that. Even following a guide I have never "killed everyone" and I must have played that game through at least 20 times over the years. I tried following a guide once, but I must have hosed up ONE small thing and I didn't get to kill Championchik and Sergei.

I think there's a glitch with the Russian Embassy assault mission too where if you go loud it thinks you went quiet and vice-versa or something. Like, Albatross will commend you for being sneaky if you charge in with a shotgun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
You can affect whether it's regular police or marines guarding the embassy, and you have the choice of killing some to get in or sneaking in. The endgame always reacts as if you killed some marines. It's annoying, but I chalk it up to Leyland not having information as complete as he thinks.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
When I played AP for the first time, my friends were all waiting for me to run into SIE.

Turns out if you do a particular conversation correctly, you get to skip the mission she's introduced in, so she never even enters the story. :v:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sunswipe posted:

You can affect whether it's regular police or marines guarding the embassy, and you have the choice of killing some to get in or sneaking in. The endgame always reacts as if you killed some marines. It's annoying, but I chalk it up to Leyland not having information as complete as he thinks.

And if you get marines guarding the embassy, and suit up in full armor, you can just walk right in because everyone assumes you're one of the new guards.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Did not know that, and I have no idea how many times I've played that game. It really is a game where it seems the people making it thought of everything you might try to do.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Cythereal posted:

And if you get marines guarding the embassy, and suit up in full armor, you can just walk right in because everyone assumes you're one of the new guards.

NO. WAY. :allears:

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

RedSnapper posted:

In Divinity II: The dragon knight saga you meet a guy named Amdusias at the end of a dungeon. He's cursed to sit in a cave after betraying his master, the great mage Maxos. As a result he can't stand even the sound of the name.. So, of course, you get conversation options that include saying that name over and over.

By the end of the game you visit the afterlife and meet him again. Among your conversation options? "MAXOS!"

Then, in the add-on scenario, many hours later, you have an optional quest to help a dying man. As he dies he asks if you have anything to say to someone in the afterlife...
:allears:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGeZvhL-Ks
That's amazing.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Sunswipe posted:

Did not know that, and I have no idea how many times I've played that game. It really is a game where it seems the people making it thought of everything you might try to do.

If this were any other game I'd call you a liar

God dammit I had poo poo to do today and now I'm reinstalling

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Sunswipe posted:

IIRC its based of which way you choose to enter the building, the roof is always counted as "lethal" while the front door is not.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

The Macaroni posted:

That's amazing.

The Dying Man request is the cherry on top of the cake, that happens way, way later in the game, you probably don't even remember Maxos anymore, but, when the choice pops in, it's impossible to not pick it.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Sunswipe posted:

On top of this there's another moment where wearing stealth armour has you mocked by the target because you've decided to stake him out wearing high grade military armour.

Go in without any armour and he still rumbles you, but he's genuinely impressed because he wouldn't have noticed if not for someone giving up your name and identity.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sunswipe posted:

No, the bug is if you sneak in through the roof the game will treat it like you killed people. If you bluff your way past the front door you're good.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The embassy is a really good example of how reactive Alpha Protocol is. I think I told this story a few years ago either in this thread or its predecessor but my first time playing, my actions in the prior level raised the alert level of the embassy so the guards were replaced with Marines. I picked the Soldier background during character creation so I just walked up to the marine at the front door and chatted with him about our times in the service until he decided I was cool and waved me through. I sided with SIE’s mercenaries so the mission was just me and the United States Marine Corps ripping the poo poo out of a bunch of Splinter Cell guys who weren’t at all geared for a stand-up fight.

My next playthrough, I didn’t raise the alert, I sided with G22, and still somehow talked my way past the front gate, so it was me and a bunch of rent-a-cops fighting against a battalion of battle-hardened mercenaries equipped for war, which was a markedly different experience.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Ok, gently caress you people I surrender.

time for playthrough number 8 or so.

Hel has a new favorite as of 21:25 on Jul 26, 2018

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
In The Evil Within 2, if you're caught by surprise, it's not going to be pretty. You might make out alive, but it's going to cost you lots of ammo, some health and your dignity. But if you don't make out alive and need to redo the section, you're the one who can get them by surprise this time :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQ32tUIypsw

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Danaru posted:

I've been playing the PS4 port of Valkyria Chronicles lately and came across this recruit:

It loving killed me for like ten minutes because I recognized him, it turns out both him and Aika from Skies of Arcadia are recruits in this game, and Fina is the medic.

I swear I got decently far in the game when it first came out and somehow never made these connections

Have a closer look at the medic next time one of your guys is downed.

Edit: I fail reading comprehension today.

Dallas is the best girl, though.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
If only Drachma was available to randomly punch Vyse. Also to randomly leave the party.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

RedSnapper posted:

In Divinity II: The dragon knight saga you meet a guy named Amdusias at the end of a dungeon. He's cursed to sit in a cave after betraying his master, the great mage Maxos. As a result he can't stand even the sound of the name.. So, of course, you get conversation options that include saying that name over and over.

By the end of the game you visit the afterlife and meet him again. Among your conversation options? "MAXOS!"

Then, in the add-on scenario, many hours later, you have an optional quest to help a dying man. As he dies he asks if you have anything to say to someone in the afterlife...
:allears:

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToGeZvhL-Ks

Dragon Knight Saga is a such weird janky mess that it almost works in its favor. You can learn a skill to read minds early on and its possible to use it everywhere, but it uses XP whenever you do. So if you use it too often, you might be under leveled.
I keep wanting to go back to it, but I never have the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Leal posted:

If only Drachma was available to randomly punch Vyse. Also to randomly leave the party.

They can't add Drachma. They'd have to put all that work into making him a unique Lancer with a rocket-launching arm.

It's like you're not even thinking :colbert:.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They can't add Drachma. They'd have to put all that work into making him a unique Lancer with a rocket-launching arm.

It's like you're not even thinking :colbert:.

But that sounds totally rad!

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

CitizenKain posted:

Dragon Knight Saga is a such weird janky mess that it almost works in its favor. You can learn a skill to read minds early on and its possible to use it everywhere, but it uses XP whenever you do. So if you use it too often, you might be under leveled.
Eh, game gives you a ton of experience for everything so it usually works out. Especially since level differences aren't nearly as much of a gently caress you in Dragon Knight Saga as they were in base Divinity II.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Hel posted:

Ok, gently caress you people I surrender.

time for playthrough number 8 or so.

Yeah this is where I'm going to be tonight. I've got time to kill before the eclipse tomorrow morning so starting another playthrough will be perfect.

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene
If you kill Sis during the boss fight, Albatross responds pretty apathetically. Take the next few missions non lethally and he will send you an e-mail asking why you killed a teenaged girl but won't kill grown men. He sounds hurt and to paraphrase he states that Mike is a "very confusing person."

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

CitizenKain posted:

The rewards usually outweigh the cost and as U.T. Raptor mentioned, there's plenty xp to go around.

But I must say my ACTUAL favorite thing about the game was the ability to jump off the highest cliff around, turn into the goddamn dragon form, strafe the enemy fortress with my firebreath and return to human form in the middle of the burning rubble.

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Endless Legend / Endless Space by Amplitude Studios

So the lastest DLC for this game was announced and the new faction The Kapaku are little tribal gnome guys that lived on a volcano world but were moved to the planet Auriga (the setting of Endless Legend) after their homeworld was teraformed.

Now the funny thing is that the terraforming changed their world from a volcanic lava filled paradise into a horrible apocalyptic lush verdant watery hellscape by none other than the Sowers a faction from Amplitudes previous title Endless Space. The Sowers are a self replicating army of robots who travel the universe "seeding" worlds for their extinct masters, the Endless and in doing so, hosed up the niche for the Kapaku. I guess the implication is that you, the player, when playing as the Sowers in Endless Space 1 teraformed a Lava planet and ruined everything for the Kapaku. Sorry guys!

I love it how they have intertwined all their games and in releasing a DLC for a 4 year old game with a hilarious easter egg for an even older game.

mitochondritom has a new favorite as of 10:02 on Jul 27, 2018

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

I bought Pyre cause it was on sale for under 10 bucks.

I notice that you can change your gender pronouns in the settings which is a neat little touch. They could have gotten away with just referring to the main character wholly as Reader but the fact they decided to go the extra mile and make this more accessible to everyone is really nice. Battletech also did this but it was far more obvious due to that game making that as part of the character creation.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Lord Lambeth posted:

I notice that you can change your gender pronouns in the settings which is a neat little touch. They could have gotten away with just referring to the main character wholly as Reader but the fact they decided to go the extra mile and make this more accessible to everyone is really nice. Battletech also did this but it was far more obvious due to that game making that as part of the character creation.

This is a nice touch. In games where character customization is involved, I've seen a lot of praise in ones that, instead of asking 'what gender are you?', they ask "what do you look like?" to start the character customization process.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Morpheus posted:

This is a nice touch. In games where character customization is involved, I've seen a lot of praise in ones that, instead of asking 'what gender are you?', they ask "what do you look like?" to start the character customization process.

Shovel Knight lets you change both the appearance and pronouns of every major character in the game - and they don't have to be the same for a given character.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Lord Lambeth posted:

Battletech also has your player character's ingame voice clips just be your mech's onboard computer for that, every other mechwarrior has spoken lines. It took two playthroughs for me to realize that. :v:

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'

Drunken Baker posted:

Is AP backwards compatible on the Xbone?

Not yet, but I’ve bought copies of both AP and Binary Domain for £1 in (hopeful) preparation for their release!

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.

Safeword posted:

On top of this there's another moment where wearing stealth armour has you mocked by the target because you've decided to stake him out wearing high grade military armour.

Go in without any armour and he still rumbles you, but he's genuinely impressed because he wouldn't have noticed if not for someone giving up your name and identity.

I like how he asks me if I'm prepared for a war since I'm in the combat armor :D on another note, being a whirlwind of fists and grenades is my favorite way to go through on veteran, especially once you get the gunshot between combos, its ruthless and great.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Blundering into that Russian guy's office - in normal working hours! - wearing the heavy combat suit was peak Dickhead Mike. The target is just so flabbergasted you wouldn't even try and be subtle.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
In Final Fantasy XIV, there's a race of cat people called the Miqo'te; whoever animated their tails must have really loved cats, because there's so much detail in them. They swish and waft about when you're at ease, perk up and straighten if the Miqo is surprised, ans even during combat the tail will curl and twist to give a sense of real balance.

It's wonderfully done. They haven't just stuck a length of polygon to the butt and called it a day.

PubicMice
Feb 14, 2012

looking for information on posts
Oh man, if we're talking about neat stuff in FF14? Something really cool they do with the races is that each race and even subrace (each race has two) have their own naming conventions, which are actually thought out and explained.

Something I really like is that the game mechanics are actually part of the world; the fast travel system is even an important plot point!

I also really appreciate that every class has it's own storyline, even the crafting and gathering classes.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

PubicMice posted:

Oh man, if we're talking about neat stuff in FF14? Something really cool they do with the races is that each race and even subrace (each race has two) have their own naming conventions, which are actually thought out and explained.

Something I really like is that the game mechanics are actually part of the world; the fast travel system is even an important plot point!

I also really appreciate that every class has it's own storyline, even the crafting and gathering classes.

Yes, that is all really awesome, and I enjoyed doing those quests and the crafting!

Really a shame bout the rest of the game, though

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

mitochondritom posted:

Endless Legend / Endless Space by Amplitude Studios

So the lastest DLC for this game was announced and the new faction The Kapaku are little tribal gnome guys that lived on a volcano world but were moved to the planet Auriga (the setting of Endless Legend) after their homeworld was teraformed.

Now the funny thing is that the terraforming changed their world from a volcanic lava filled paradise into a horrible apocalyptic lush verdant watery hellscape by none other than the Sowers a faction from Amplitudes previous title Endless Space. The Sowers are a self replicating army of robots who travel the universe "seeding" worlds for their extinct masters, the Endless and in doing so, hosed up the niche for the Kapaku. I guess the implication is that you, the player, when playing as the Sowers in Endless Space 1 teraformed a Lava planet and ruined everything for the Kapaku. Sorry guys!

I love it how they have intertwined all their games and in releasing a DLC for a 4 year old game with a hilarious easter egg for an even older game.

It's a really cool and interesting idea. But it's also kind of frustrating because it makes their games kind of hard to approach at times because there are a ton of references, jokes and characters that you're like "who's this guy? Why is he so special?" and the answer is always "Buy our other game!" Or there are rewards you can only get if you've bought and played the other games. It's not even a bad thing, because they've set up a really cool universe that rewards their fans really well. But when I got their collection cheap I didn't know where to start and wound up playing something else instead of agonizing over which game to play to unlock things in the other games.

PubicMice posted:

I named my dragon lady Dewslam Beefgrab. :downs:

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

PubicMice posted:

I haven't played it in a while, but I named my Roegadyn "Fantastic Stan" and it was (mostly) lore-friendly.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Let me tell you about the npc who taught me to be a warrior, Curious Gorge.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Playing Breath of the Wild at the moment and a cool little thing is that you can feed your horse apples. What is even cooler is that the horse will stretch his neck out to where the apple is to eat it, say if the apple rolls away a little bit. Then the horse loves you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Synthetik is a mostly-serious top-down tactical shooter. But then there's the 420 SniperDragon, a laser sniper rifle whose special ability is 360 Noscope. When it's equipped, the game tracks how far you've turned recently, and if you spin 360 degrees, then you get a short-lived but substantial damage boost. Have fun spinning around and then trying to land headshots! Seriously, it's fun.

(Synthetik is also super-fun, go play it)