Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

MadDogMike posted:

Of course if they absolutely want to troll everyone, they could thaw him out just in time for him to get dusted by Thanos, I can practically see half the fan base suffering simultaneous aneurysms if it happened. :D

My initial reaction was to say that Season 6 starts after the release of Infinity War 2, so that wouldn't work, but then I remembered that, being a TV show, they can easily have the first pod take place pre-IW, though the timing might be tight, since stuff was already going down in New York by the end of Season 5...

It's possible, buuuuut... it probably won't happen...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Gangringo posted:

None of them hold a candle to the king of suffering every-men, Miles O'Brien, the only enlisted man in Starfleet.

Oh most definitely, if we're talking a 5-man basketball all-star team then O'Brien is the Lebron or Jordan of it, just the uncontested #1 on the team.

In fact, I'm convinced if you pick the right season of DS9 you can find more suffering for Miles in just that season than Fitz has had in the entire course of Shield, it's just Shield goes deep and explores that trauma in-depth instead of just in a single episode.

Miles remains in the top spot because such a variety of trauma happened to him on-screen, lots of trauma can be inferred from his time on the Enterprise and in Starfleet during the Cardassian war, and he never, ever gets any time to really try to work through his issues and the crazy stuff he's been through, at least not past an episode's runtime where the suffering occurs or is referenced. And yet through it all he remains a normal dude, it's actually pretty amazing and why he deserves to be leading the team. He not only suffers the most, but he recovers from that suffering the best. Miles would have shrugged off Fitz's start of S2 brain damage in smooth 42 minutes tops.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Kheldarn posted:

My initial reaction was to say that Season 6 starts after the release of Infinity War 2, so that wouldn't work, but then I remembered that, being a TV show, they can easily have the first pod take place pre-IW, though the timing might be tight, since stuff was already going down in New York by the end of Season 5...

It's possible, buuuuut... it probably won't happen...

Simmons'll find the pod, open it with expectant happiness only to find it full of ashes.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Oracle posted:

Simmons'll find the pod, open it with expectant happiness only to find it full of ashes.

This is Fitz were talking about so she'll open it only to have him see her turn to ashes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The new season won't start until after IW2's release date. So who knows what they'll be dealing with.

I doubt we'll get a rehash of the events, just with these characters.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Aleph Null posted:

When your wife gets possessed by an evil alien ghost and it's an improvement, you might be Miles O'Brien.

When being given false memories of a traumatic 20-year imprisonment culminating in killing your cellmate for a scrap of food is waved away and never spoken of again, you might be Miles O'Brien.

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

muscles like this! posted:

The new season won't start until after IW2's release date. So who knows what they'll be dealing with.

I doubt we'll get a rehash of the events, just with these characters.

In typical Agents of Shield fashion it will only be addressed with a throwaway line like "Look Agent NewCheapActor this is the job. Robot armies, alien invasions, time travel and people turning to dust. Now get to work."

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Bruceski posted:

When being given false memories of a traumatic 20-year imprisonment culminating in killing your cellmate for a scrap of food is waved away and never spoken of again, you might be Miles O'Brien.

I honestly don't even know if that'd be top 5 worst things that happened to him in his life.

CaveGrinch
Dec 5, 2003
I'm a mean one.
I would like the season to take place post snap but pre Avengers 4. Dealing with a completely changed world could make for some really interesting stuff. But I also feel like you gotta kill off at least one more character to make it believable.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Problem with that is, there's good chance the next movie will just do a reset on everything anyway, so anything in that potential season would have ended up not really happening anyway.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

Whatever happens should involve Grant Ward

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Finally watched the finale. I liked that Daisy just straight up blasted Talbot into space. I thought he was gonna come back down and they'd have a big fight but no, bang, zoom, straight past the moon. Nicely snap-proofed. And other things. It felt a bit cheap when they suddenly said Fitz was alive but I forgot about Space Fitz and that's actually neat I think. Kinda throws his character development in the bin though. Doctor Fitz is probably still rattling about I suppose.

I'm glad they let Coulson get to Tahiti rather than just killing him off. And that Mack is the director so he can't leave like he seemed to be going (I mean of course he can but let's hope not). Could have been okay as the last episode ever but I'm glad there's a new season. The Search for Fitz I guess would be a pod, they could run into whatever happened to Talbot because I'm sure some alien fellas picked him up.

Just fewer grey corridors please. And someone cool like Ghost Rider. Explode the entire budget

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It is pretty surprising this show keeps getting renewed. Someone must really like the show.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Invalid Validation posted:

It is pretty surprising this show keeps getting renewed. Someone must really like the show.

A lot of people do

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The first downloads for Infintity war are popping up, mine just kicked in

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

McDragon posted:

Just fewer grey corridors please. And someone cool like Ghost Rider. Explode the entire budget

Sorry, it's already confirm that next season is just Daisy and Mack doing a very drawn-out reading of Waiting for Godot, with "Fitz" pasted in instead.

In the season finale, dust rains from the sky in slow-motion, they look at the camera and say, "And there he is."

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

My wife and I finished hate-watching this show recently. We started it before Infinity War as we were trying to rewatch the MCU before Infinity War was in theaters. I just had two takeaways.

Daisy Johnson is just the loving worst, right? You guys watch her and hope that she somehow gets written out of the show too, correct? It's not so much the actress, it's just that she's written as god's perfect child who can always save the day and can hack and she can kick all the asses. She's so frustrating.

The other thing was to hear the characters say my full name in one episode. I guess I'm part of the MCU.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

IUG posted:

Daisy Johnson is just the loving worst, right? You guys watch her and hope that she somehow gets written out of the show too, correct? It's not so much the actress, it's just that she's written as god's perfect child who can always save the day and can hack and she can kick all the asses. She's so frustrating.

Nah.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I mean, half the plot of the last season was that she's a lovely leader and put someone else in charge.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

IUG posted:

Daisy Johnson is just the loving worst, right? You guys watch her and hope that she somehow gets written out of the show too, correct?

Yeah she's my least favorite character. I don't hope she gets written out because her action scenes kick rear end and it's very rare for me to enjoy action scenes but I'm not a huge fan of the character either.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've never really liked the fact that she's heir apparent, and she has been basically since she first showed up. She's been working with SHIELD and the team for a couple of years and has spent a not-insignificant amount of that time AWOL. Every single person on the team has more experience and is more qualified to lead but she's the special chosen one for reasons*.

I think I've just gotten used to her now, but at least I hate her less than when she was all on her ~*~Inhuman Rights~*~ kick.

*When it really comes down to it, I think the reason Daisy is like this is because Wheadons are incapable of writing a story that doesn't somehow involve a magical girl chosen one to save us all.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

counterfeitsaint posted:

I've never really liked the fact that she's heir apparent, and she has been basically since she first showed up. She's been working with SHIELD and the team for a couple of years and has spent a not-insignificant amount of that time AWOL. Every single person on the team has more experience and is more qualified to lead but she's the special chosen one for reasons*.

Yup, this made me pissed when this happened last season. I think I yelled at the screen "Why not Mack? He was already the head of SHIELD once!". There was no justification for their PR mess to be the head.

I also feel like her combat skills are entirely unearned. I think she had one or two episodes of training from May, and then she's unstoppable. And she never uses the quake powers until it's time to end the scene. It kindof makes May less important since Daisy's apparently able to fight just as well as her.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Her entire character is nonsensical. She's a lovely leader who's heir apparent because she has to be and it's so flabbergasting because even in-universe both her and everyone else acknowledges how bad of a decision it is, and Coulson is all starry-eyed and I almost feel like he's about to say "but it has to be you. It's in the script". She mocked fitz-simmons for being nerds more than once and never ever touches a computer but is somehow a super skilled leet haxor who has hacked the weirdest terminals regardless of context or OS. So yeah it makes sense that she learned combat in no time. And that her inhuman power is super cool and earth-shattering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah Daisy does sort of suck when she was just Skye. But her character has grown as much as Chloe Bennet has as an actress over the last few years.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
She has done nothing but like fail and need to be bailed out for large portions of the series.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
On the other hand she's basically the ultimate comic book character in the series.

I mean, think about it:

* Literally has the looks of a pop singer
* Has a super powerful mutant power
* Is super skilled in hand-to-hand combat despite limited training compared to the other people around her or people she fights
* Has such incredible willpower that she's changed a time loop and broke a mind control device
* Is a genius-level intellect computer wiz who can hack anything despite never touching an electronic device in her spare time
* Is an orphan
* Has street smarts due to her tough life as an orphan
* Is seen as a leader figure for no real reason
* Constantly goes rogue/vigilante and is anti-authoritarian and still gets every possible bail and free pass in the end

* Still manages to gently caress things up

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Except the last season was nothing but showing how she is totally not ready or fit to be a leader.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How is that "except", that's exactly my point.

Elentor posted:

She's a lovely leader who's heir apparent because she has to be and it's so flabbergasting because even in-universe both her and everyone else acknowledges how bad of a decision it is,

I literally just said people acknowledge she's not ready to be a leader.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

she shot a guy into space though. but tbh, I'd like any character with that skillset I think. she's kinda pants as a character but the quakin' is just rad af

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
heck i think shes pretty cool and she reads this thread and will go on a date with me

Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Elentor posted:

* Literally has the looks of a pop singer

https://youtu.be/pNUvqIsYo7k

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I personally think Mack is the worst character because of how inconsistent he is. The only thing that I expect from him is having the worst opinion in every situation.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

IUG posted:

When Daisy goes rogue, it's ok. But when Yo-yo does it's the worst thing ever!

Yo-yo was right :colbert:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yes, that is what "literally" means.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

JazzFlight posted:

I personally think Mack is the worst character because of how inconsistent he is. The only thing that I expect from him is having the worst opinion in every situation.

I still laugh at the idea of Mack taking over and then next season opens up with them living in some kind of hippy farmer commune living a simple life and reading exclusively from the only book they need. Meanwhile the whole world is burning down around them but it's okay because they need the simple life and god will fix all that other stuff probably.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Finally got caught up on this show and this thread. Can't wait for the scene next season when Fitz wakes up and Gemma is like "you have only been asleep a couple months, your doomed time clone figured poo poo out, we are married now and this is your grandson".

"Oh and Coulson dead. Now help me fix YoYo's prosthetic arms and let me know if you start feeling "murdery or Nazi-ish".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

When Daisy goes rogue, it's ok. But when Yo-yo does it's the worst thing ever!

Yo-yo was right :colbert:

Despite my general rambling I like the ensemble but yeah Yo-yo started as my least favorite character and rose up as one of the characters I appreciate the most. This season I had this feeling that only Yo-yo and Fitz-Simmons were interested in actually saving the world from a complete cataclysm and enslavement by alien races and everyone else was too busy with internal politics and putting their own feelings above the mission. Mack is all about honor and emotions and is not good at making cold calls.

There's absolutely no reason Quake should be selected to be a leader when Melinda May would have been a much better fit other than Coulson really wanting to retire with her. She's a bit cold and distant but she's a natural leader and everyone has a great deal of respect for her, she's been the second in command for ages and has a lot of experience both in-combat and doing tactical maneuvers, she has a very maternal instinct towards every member of the group and seldom uses that to patronize others unless they're field agents directly being trained by her. And she doesn't underestimate anyone in the group which even other super elite agents like Bobbi did with Simmons.

Also Fitz-Simmons had the most interesting character arcs for me. Half-hero half-villain Fitz is a fantastic loving character, at this point Fitz is a comic-book level scientist but he's had an arc, Jemma and him have incredible chemistry, and they seem to complement each other very well. Yo-yo can be a bit tiresome at times because she's always stressed but that makes a lot of sense given her life and the fact they're usually dealing with very stressful situations that others just shrug off.

For what is worth I liked the last season a lot, I just like complaining. I prefer ensemble casts like this to remain buddy-buddies but I like how each character seemed to have their own motivations and formed alliances of convenience.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Elentor posted:

For what is worth I liked the last season a lot,

Maybe the second half. The only good thing about the future arc was that my wife and I literally visited that lighthouse (Head Light House in Portland, Maine) days before we started that season. It seemed to go on forever even though we watched an episode a night. Not to mention the "space station" was just utility hallways.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
There is a woman in our apartment who looks exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, like Jemma Simmons

I don’t think she’s found OG Fitz yet though so we’re safe for a little bit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Chokes McGee posted:

There is a woman in our apartment who looks exactly, and I mean EXACTLY, like Jemma Simmons

I don’t think she’s found OG Fitz yet though so we’re safe for a little bit

I pray for OG Fitz that she never does.