Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

zoux posted:

Oh man let's square away the broad strokes of representative casting before we get into colorism.

Okay whitey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

I guess it is down to Dredd now to be the most juggled show never to actually enter production?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Hey now, dredd has a pilot script written and everything!!

site fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Jul 26, 2018

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

zoux posted:

Oh man let's square away the broad strokes of representative casting before we get into colorism. The Discourse cannot handle it.

Like I said, I wouldn't put up a fight over the Sunspot casting but I can see why someone would. Frankly colorism is the most important part of representation. The kids are looking to be represented by characters who look like them, the rest is acting. It's always a bonus when an actor shares a background with the character they're playing because it can add a layer of understanding but if they do they're job right we can believe the rest.

What I'm saying is Cliff Curtis was a better choice for his role in training day than a white Mexican would have been.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

site posted:

Hey now, dredd has a pilot script written and everything!!

I look forward to reading the official announcement of casting in my senior years. :unsmith:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Like I said, I wouldn't put up a fight over the Sunspot casting but I can see why someone would. Frankly colorism is the most important part of representation. The kids are looking to be represented by characters who look like them, the rest is acting. It's always a bonus when an actor shares a background with the character they're playing because it can add a layer of understanding but if they do they're job right we can believe the rest.

What I'm saying is Cliff Curtis was a better choice for his role in training day than a white Mexican would have been.

My advice would be not to go along with whats acceptable to talk about re: race from the 40yo white man from texas who once got banned twice in 10 minutes for accusing a poster of not being black, and the other poster responding with this

Hes a nazi playing at being woke

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, I was just acknowledging that once you get past casting an actor with a similar ethnic background, then the discussion becomes more complicated and granular. It's a huge issue of contention among minority communities so it's not really for white people to get into, which is what I mean by "the discourse can't handle it". Take casting East Asian characters: is it important to make sure that you cast the exact nationality/ethnicity of the character or is just the representation of an East Asian enough? For example, in Fresh off the Boat, the characters are all of Taiwanese descent, but of the actors playing them, only Constance Wu is Taiwanese. The rest are of mainland Chinese descent, except for Randall Park who is Korean. I read somewhere that for most Asian actors, with the paucity of roles available, just having East Asian representation is enough right now and we can drill down on actual nationalities once the broader problem of Asian casting representation is solved. I'm sure that's not a universal opinion among fans of East Asian descent, I bet there are plenty of Taiwanese-descended people who wouldn't like to be described as Chinese, but I think that's a debate for that community to have and they don't really need white people to help. Same with Native American casting, there's a big loving cultural difference between a Cherokee and a Ojibwe, but Native American actors play members of different tribes all the time. So, it's a complicated issue and since we still haven't mastered representation at the most basic level, it might be getting too far ahead of ourselves at this present moment. That is to say, my opinion is that for now we should focus on, like you say, getting the look right so fans can see characters that they can ID with (more than white characters anyway).

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I can't speak for other groups, but when it comes to Latinx stuff, as a Puerto Rican who has lived in a mostly Hispanic/Black community my whole life, racism in Latinx communities is identical to the more typical racism you see from white communities, right down to language used and beliefs. And personally, I feel like I have noticed more people IDing as "white" Hispanic or "white" Latinx in the past 10 or so years than before. I don't even recall it being a thing before that. I remember having to fill out forms and being annoyed that Hispanic/Latino didn't even have a check box. Last time I did jury duty there were check boxes for white and non-white Hispanic/Latino. So I can see how casting Latinx roles can be every bit as troubling as other roles when it comes to matters of whitewashing. You don't see almost any dark skin or black Latinx celebs. I didn't know Charlie Sheen was Latino until I was almost out of high school, because he changed his name since he passed for white.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

site posted:

My advice would be not to go along with whats acceptable to talk about re: race from the 40yo white man from texas who once got banned twice in 10 minutes for accusing a poster of not being black, and the other poster responding with this

Hes a nazi playing at being woke

Do not import this poo poo into this thread.

This conversation ends now.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

ToastyPotato posted:

I didn't know Charlie Sheen was Latino until I was almost out of high school, because he changed his name since he passed for white.

Is it really passing if your grandfather was born in Spain?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

howe_sam posted:

Is it really passing if your grandfather was born in Spain?

Fair enough, though to be fair, plenty of Spanish born people also have North African blood, so they aren't just plain ol' white Europeans. That's kind of the issue with being Latinx. There is so much mixing but people still want to just boil things down to skin color or "actually, my ancestors were from Spain aka Europe". Very frustrating to see people wanting to split things into skin color. Like, my dad was harrased because he is a darker skin Hispanic man who had an afro in the 70s, and when he served in the military back then in the South he was denied service in places, told to leave bars, and called the n word. They also didn't take kindly to him being with my mom, who was also Hispanic, but pale as hell because they thought they were an interracial couple. Then I come out pretty light skinned but I guess I look Hispanic enough because there have been tons of times where people assumed I didn't speak English (I actually don't speak Spanish.) So I have kind of always been in a weird place.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Sheen and Estevez are Hispanic, not Latinx.

Not that the distinction matters in the slightest to racists.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

ToastyPotato posted:

Fair enough, though to be fair, plenty of Spanish born people also have North African blood, so they aren't just plain ol' white Europeans. That's kind of the issue with being Latinx. There is so much mixing but people still want to just boil things down to skin color or "actually, my ancestors were from Spain aka Europe". Very frustrating to see people wanting to split things into skin color. Like, my dad was harrased because he is a darker skin Hispanic man who had an afro in the 70s, and when he served in the military back then in the South he was denied service in places, told to leave bars, and called the n word. They also didn't take kindly to him being with my mom, who was also Hispanic, but pale as hell because they thought they were an interracial couple. Then I come out pretty light skinned but I guess I look Hispanic enough because there have been tons of times where people assumed I didn't speak English (I actually don't speak Spanish.) So I have kind of always been in a weird place.

What's up my Hispanic brother???

I've had issues since I am dark like my mom. I'm half Puerto Rican and half white. I really identify as Puerto Rican because I'm dark.

I'm also really bad at Spanish

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I've heard that this is a real issue in Mexico (at least, maybe other Latin Am. countries as well) where TV stars are overwhelmingly lighter-skinned than the rest of the population.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

Hispanic people are also Latin.

zoux posted:

I've heard that this is a real issue in Mexico (at least, maybe other Latin Am. countries as well) where TV stars are overwhelmingly lighter-skinned than the rest of the population.

I don't think you need the "Latin" in front of America there.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

I think you'll find plenty of members of both communities don't make much of a distinction between the two anymore either. There has been plenty of debate and discussion over it. Personally, I feel like the distinction is barely worth making anymore, and most people I know of similar background just use the two interchangeably. The only exception is usually in reference to Brazillians. I've seen people explain it as "all Hispanics are Latinx, but not all Latinx are Hispanic." Whether or not that is "technically true" seems kind of unimportant to me based on how common usage tends to work. I've met literally one person in my life that actually objected to using the wrong label (she was Mexican) and I don't even remember which one she preferred anymore (it was 8 years ago.)

pubic works project posted:

What's up my Hispanic brother???

I've had issues since I am dark like my mom. I'm half Puerto Rican and half white. I really identify as Puerto Rican because I'm dark.

I'm also really bad at Spanish

Ha, sup. Unfortunately for me, I think I am the only person in my entire family that is horrible at Spanish. Even my sister speaks it fluently. I dunno what happened.

zoux posted:

Yeah I remember seeing a bunch of stuff about the percentage of the actors on Mexican TV that are white vs the percentage of the population, but hell if I can remember where. It was probably linked on social media at some point.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Hispanic is "from a country where they speak Spanish". Latinx is "Also Portugese"

Apparently it ends up being regional. One coast prefers one, one the other. I forget which.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
This kind of reminds me of one of the subtexts in Luke Cage season 2. There was a clear bias against Bushmasters family and power base as they were immigrant Jamacians, not native born African-Americans.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

This kind of reminds me of one of the subtexts in Luke Cage season 2. There was a clear bias against Bushmasters family and power base as they were immigrant Jamacians, not native born African-Americans.

Also Mariah being called "Black Mariah" because of her dark skin tone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

Hispanic is "from a country where they speak Spanish". Latinx is "Also Portugese"

Apparently it ends up being regional. One coast prefers one, one the other. I forget which.
Yeah, *technically* the distinction is Hispanic means from a country where they speak Spanish and Latinx is from Latin America, but yeah they are mostly used interchangeably.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.
Yeah Brazil is neither but would be ethnically similar to Latin America if only through regional natives.

Wait what is the official name of the people of South and Central America who were here before the Spanish?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Wait what is the official name of the people of South and Central America who were here before the Spanish?

There's a hundred or so different peoples in South and Central America who were here before the Spanish, bud.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah Brazil is neither but would be ethnically similar to Latin America if only through regional natives.

Native Americans.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Cythereal posted:

There's a hundred or so different peoples in South and Central America who were here before the Spanish, bud.

Yeah, no poo poo. I meant an umbrella term like "East Asian" or "Eastern European" because...

Aphrodite posted:

Native Americans.

...Doesn't seem accurate enough, like do we consider Inuit under the Native American umbrella?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Sgt. Politeness posted:

Yeah, no poo poo. I meant an umbrella term like "East Asian" or "Eastern European" because...

...Doesn't seem accurate enough, like do we consider Inuit under the Native American umbrella?

In Canada yes and no. Overall inuit are basically one of three recognized Indigenous people along with First Nations and Metis. But for some purposes they are seperate.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Sgt. Politeness posted:

up here in alaska we distinguish Alaska Native tribes and Native American/First Nations, but also full disclosure I havent worked with many native people or the corps in a couple years to have discussions about it, and i cant say ive broached the subject with my neighbor so that mightve changed

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sgt. Politeness posted:

It was mostly a joke about how the US forgets America is a whole continent, but also yes mostly.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

Oh definitely.

But I do like the sound of First Nation which I heard for the first time on Canadian radio this year. As of a couple years ago the legal term in America was still Indian, as in "I'm in law school specializing in Indian Law"

I was just curious if there was a South American version of that I also hadn't heard of.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It seems like they mostly use Indigenous.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Yeah I don't know why it was so hard to get this thing going

Nick Stahl was in the original and had a major drug meltdown shortly after wrapping shooting so they were waiting him out and he never got clean and it hosed them over. Sounds like that pilot was incredible too so it's a shame. The second pilot is supposedly the worst thing ever.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

It wasn't subtext. It was full on text.
In fact in one of the episodes, one of the gangsters goes into a full on rant about native born African-Americans over ones who are originalyfrom Latin America or Jamaica.

Sgt. Politeness posted:

I always thought the term was Meso-American.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

In fact in one of the episodes, one of the gangsters goes into a full on rant about native born African-Americans over ones who are originalyfrom Latin America or Jamaica.

I always thought the term was Meso-American.

Pretty sure that's a historical term for pre-Columbian Mexico and Central America. I don't think it's used in any modern sense.

For instance, in Brazil I've always heard of it as "indigenous" for the extant tribes in the rainforests.

CityMidnightJunky
May 11, 2013

by Smythe

ToastyPotato posted:

Nah, just hate bigots instead. At least that is more productive. Or support her other work, or in general. I say this because if we go down that path more companies will start using this sort of thing as marketing, if they haven't already. For reference, there is a well known story about a video game company (can't remember which right now) in the 90s that manufactured outrage about their own game in the press to sell copies, and it worked. It was featured in multiple countdown lists a while back, I am just totally blanking. It might have actually happened more than once.

That isn't to say that this isn't happening to her, because I am 100% sure it is. However, I am weary on the reporting and timing of such things. We have known she was playing Starfire for months, the set photos are also a few months old. But only after the trailer BOMBS at SDCC do we get this story? She doesn't even feature heavily in the trailer. It's odd.

He's right, once you're all done being dicks. There are definite cases of over exaggerating the amount of/importance of 'troll' posts to create interest or push an agenda. The Ghostbusters remake comes to mind. There were definitely people out there acting like mysoginistic babies, but instead of ignoring them, Sony built their whole marketing campaign on it. And everyone with a website went along for the ride. I mean how many times on this forum alone has some one said 'I can't wait for the racists/sexists to get butthurt about this' before any one actually says anything racist? The poster aboves not even saying this actress isn't being targeted, which she is. He's saying companies are manipulating outrage on social media as a marketing tool, which they absolutely are.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Except his dumb rear end point is based on thinking the timing is suspect, when the drat trailer just came out.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Ignoring internet nazis is pretty easy to suggest when youre not the one getting death threats just for being in movie/tv show

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

"There's no such thing as bad publicity" is a saying that is older than most of us here. To think that billion dollar businesses who rely on publicity don't at least partially believe that would be incredibly naive. My poor example (which I am almost positive was actually about the original GTA now) was meant to show that even in the 90s, before social media and the current internet, companies were more than willing to ride the wave of outrage to make money, to the point that one company actually got caught fabricating outrage. I didn't mean that anyone was lying about the current harassment facing various actors. I just wasn't clear enough. Ghostbusters is a pretty good example too. Last Jedi is an even more recent example. There were tons of legit criticisms of Jedi, but the online narrative was heavily pushed into supporting the actors and eventually the director himself who were getting harassed. Many influencers in the geek community, some part of big websites, were tweeting and/or retweeting messages that essentially read as "if you didn't like TLJ then you are a bad person." That poo poo killed my interest in Star Wars (and social media) and I suspect it did for others as well, if Solo is any indication. Also pretty much all the SW Youtubes I follow went silent. The only SW videos YT would give me was misogynistic alt right videos about "SJWs RUINING STAR WARS!" for what seemed like months. Only now are my channels back it seems.

Sorry to dig it back up, I just wanted some final clarification. I really didn't intend to make people so upset.

Aphrodite posted:

Except his dumb rear end point is based on thinking the timing is suspect, when the drat trailer just came out.

It's more that I am worried that more companies are going to use this sort of thing whenever they can, which I think is lovely.

What I don't understand is why people ITT seem more angry at me for suggesting that a company might exploit people's pain, than they seem to be at the actual pain being caused in the first place. Look at the name calling and outrage my suggestion has caused, vs the response to the actual report of her harassment.

ToastyPotato fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jul 27, 2018

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Question IRL posted:

Oh that's right, and someone calls Bushmaster (i think) about going on about Maroons all the time, but then points out Jamaica didn't gain its independence until the 60s also.

I've always preferred the Canadian "First Nations" because it implies that they weren't just savages living in tents shooting arrows at deer, but actually had complex social structures and societies.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
New Iron Fist teaser

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pu5FAWnFRI0

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ok, that looks a little more promising. Only a little, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

I'm hopeful. Did they ever go into detail who is running/working on this season?