Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Helith posted:

Put slices of pickled beetroot onto your burger.
For peak Australiana add a slice of tinned pineapple and some bacon and top off with a fried egg (runny yolk only).

http://mcdonalds.wikia.com/wiki/KiwiBurger

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Counter point: throw the beets, and also Helith, in the garbage.

More like Sandwich Conformist.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Out of the three upsetting threads I visit (aug, idiots on social media, and this one) this one is almost always the most upsetting.

The thought of mayo icecream is, at the very least, perturbing. Pretending otherwise is morally wrong.

I will agree that it is a nasty unfrozen custard. To freeze it only increases nastiness.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

As someone who's all about frozen custard, at least the Wisconsin kind, I shudder to think what similarities it shares with mayo, speaking as someone who loves one and hates the other.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Sometimes eating food is worth it.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Beets taste like straight up dirt to me. I don't necessarily mind that in small quantities, but does it taste that way to everyone else, or is it like cilantro?

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

Scarodactyl posted:

Beets taste like straight up dirt to me. I don't necessarily mind that in small quantities, but does it taste that way to everyone else, or is it like cilantro?

My dad always says the same thing. They don't taste like dirt to me, but I don't really like them anyway

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unpickled ones do but pickled ones are good

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

I only know like 50% of whatever they’re listing in the song they used to promote this thing but the one that confused me the most was Cheerios. What is so special about Cheerios to New Zealand that they included it as a national identifier?

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Scarodactyl posted:

Some do, some don't. Pickled ones never do in my experience. I get vac-packed, pre-cooked ones all the time and depending on where I get them, they can be very earthy or really sweet and tender. Annoyingly, there's no way of telling from looking - small ones can be really muddy and great big ones really sweet.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Beets are like dirt flavored candy that you can use to dye your food and bowel movements a lovely shade of red. This is an endorsement of beets.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm 99% people who say beets taste like dirt have just never had beets cooked well. Kinda like how I grew up eating well done steak and so I thought it tasted like garbage until I was an adult.

Brain In A Jar
Apr 21, 2008

Aesop Poprock posted:

I only know like 50% of whatever they’re listing in the song they used to promote this thing but the one that confused me the most was Cheerios. What is so special about Cheerios to New Zealand that they included it as a national identifier?

A Cheerio is a cocktail sausage, also known as a Saveloy , except smaller. When your parents used to send you to the butchers to get meat, if you were good, they'd give you a cheerio for free. Also they were a hit at childrens birthday parties, and taste great dipped in some tomato sauce (not ketchup).

Edit – You may not like it, but this is what peak cheerios looks like:

Brain In A Jar has a new favorite as of 12:55 on Jul 28, 2018

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Fun fact: the chemical responsible for the earthy taste in Beetroots is geosmin. This chemical is given off by bacteria that live in healthy soil and is also the main constituent of petrichor, or the ‘smell of rain’ which you smell after rain hits dry earth.
Humans love the smell of geosmin but many hate the taste.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Raw beets are absolutely dirt-flavored. Pickling them or slow-cooking them tends to get that flavor right out.

Some people like earthy flavors. I tend towards having a sweet tooth, so those flavors always are way too bitter or bland for me, depending. :shrug:

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe
The dirt flavor keeps me away from beets most of the time too. The one time I've had and really enjoyed beets was at a Greek restaurant in South Philly that served them with a garlic sauce that complimented them really well and masked or neutralized the dirt flavor.

sirbeefalot has a new favorite as of 15:15 on Jul 28, 2018

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

KataraniSword posted:

Raw beets are absolutely dirt-flavored. Pickling them or slow-cooking them tends to get that flavor right out.
I've only ever had pickled beets, and they always taste like dirt. Not necessarily unpleasantly, but unmistakeably.

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Some people who are no longer my friends made this. Flavorless vodka jello fish with embedded pizza Lunchables.

It was bad.

(Not me, I did not eat it. If I were still drinking I might have.)

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

That...that certainly fits in this thread. What was the inspiration behind it's creation?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I like borscht, but I also don't eat enough borsht

Bibliotechno Music
Dec 30, 2008

Zil posted:

That...that certainly fits in this thread. What was the inspiration behind it's creation?

They are garbage people, with garbage ideas.

(They really are my friends and I like them a lot, but they are totally trashy.)

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

I like his goofy band/uniform jacket. The medals made me smile.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

KataraniSword posted:

Some people like earthy flavors. I tend towards having a sweet tooth, so those flavors always are way too bitter or bland for me, depending. :shrug:

Fentiman’s Dandelion & Burdock soda kinda straddles the line between earthy and sweet, it’s an interesting flavor; having a sweet tooth that is becoming bitter with age and, well, bitterness, I like it quite a bit. I don’t get it very often though because it’s still soda and I’m trying to minimize my intake thereof.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That's a shame, that dude looks cool.

French toast rice crispy strips and a Peanut onion sandwich: Left side is butter and cracked pepper, right side is peanut butter, mayo, sliced onion, and sriracha, all on toasted bread. Put together and eat.

And this one is just because this is also the food fad thread and it seems novel.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

When or where has mayo been stored in a toothpaste tube.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Cum aspic and dirt jelly itt

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"

tribbledirigible posted:

When or where has mayo been stored in a toothpaste tube.

In European grocery stores.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cover everything that is left under an island of mayo is my post apocalypse plan.

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

MachineryNoise posted:

In European grocery stores.

Somehow, that's nasty, but I can't for the life of me explain why.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DicktheCat posted:

Somehow, that's nasty, but I can't for the life of me explain why.

Because mayo is nasty

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Speaking of tube-based European foods

it's mostly cod roe and it's actually pretty good

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Munchies please stop
:nms:I Made Blood Sausage Using My Own Blood:nms:

serious norman
Dec 13, 2007

im pickle rick!!!!

Pham Nuwen posted:

I live for this poo poo

elise the great
May 1, 2012

You do not have to be good. You only have to let the soft animal of your body love what it loves.

Sausage looked p good except who pours raw blood over a nice blood sausage ready to serve? Fuckin’ nobody, that’s who. White people with instagrams. Stop with the dramatics and just eat your drat dinner.

Vegans. Jesus.

E: like I want to be clear here, if meat is only shocking or gross to you when served in its own blood, maybe your veganism is performative and squeamish

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Pham Nuwen posted:

I miss getting this from IKEA, it was delicious

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Not menstrual blood? Try harder munchies.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

I miss getting this from IKEA, it was delicious

I got a little tube in my breakfast on a ferry to Gotland but it was still like 3x what any sane person should put on a single meal. I'd probably get a tube if there was an Ikea nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Welp, thanks for reminding me it's time for my annual box of KAKOR CHOKLADFLARN