Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which Thread Title shall we name this new thread?
This poll is closed.
Independence Day 2: Resturgeonce 44 21.36%
ScotPol - Unclustering this gently caress 19 9.22%
Trainspotting 2: Independence is my heroin 9 4.37%
Indyref II: Boris hosed a Dead Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol: Wings over Bullshit 8 3.88%
Independence 2: Cameron Lied, UK Died 24 11.65%
Scotpol IV: I Vow To Flee My Country 14 6.80%
ScotPol - A twice in a generation thread 17 8.25%
ScotPol - Where Everything's hosed Up and the Referendums Don't Matter 15 7.28%
ScotPol Thread: Dependence Referendum Incoming 2 0.97%
Indyref II: The Scottish Insturgeoncy 10 4.85%
ScotPol Thread: Act of European Union 5 2.43%
ScotPol - Like Game of Thrones only we wish we would all die 25 12.14%
Total: 206 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Aramoro posted:

The EU are getting everything they want, negotiating with the Tories is going great for them. What you don't want is the Tories negotiating for you.

I love the strategy of acting like you've had a minor infraction at Tescos and demanding to speak to the manager until they give you free toilet roll to get you to gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

...by getting into another burning car.
If every option is a burning car, I'm still voting for the one you're not in.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Aramoro posted:

The EU are getting everything they want, negotiating with the Tories is going great for them. What you don't want is the Tories negotiating for you.

The EU isn't getting what it wants, since what it wants is a coherent and reasonable proposal from Britain. And instead it gets a bunch of self-contradicting ideas combined with absurd demands. The likely outcome is a no-deal Brexit, which is also not what the EU wants, but if the Tories are insisting on shooting their leg off after they shot their foot off, more power to them I guess.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Not gonna lie, sturgeon tweeting Kissinger and albright articles has soured me on her

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Coohoolin posted:

Not gonna lie, sturgeon tweeting Kissinger and albright articles has soured me on her

Typical anti-Westminster behaviour from Sturgeon, tweeting articles by an American war criminal and ignoring a perfectly good British war criminal's work.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
http://thenational.scot/thejouker/16384121.wings-over-scotland-youtube-channel-shut-down-by-bbc-over-copyright-claim/

Hmmm.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Oh no. What a terrible shame. We'll just have to go through life without the Wings Over Scotland youtube channel.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I don't think it's a good look for the BBC to be shutting down popular independent media sites that are critical of its broadcasting tbh.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
He should use Vimeo.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

He should jump into a fire.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

I don't think it's a good look for the BBC to be shutting down popular independent media sites that are critical of its broadcasting tbh.

I think it’s a very good look because the guy is a scumbag on the make.

What’s needed is a pro-independence Scottish video hosting service. Let’s crowdfund this. For only £100k I can buy some web hosting.

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Jul 28, 2018

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Pissflaps posted:

I think it’s a very good look because the guy is a scumbag on the make.

I think we can all agree Stuart Campbell is a terrible person. Particularly his rampant transphobia, which I'm sure all posters in this thread will join me, a woman, in condemning

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Angepain posted:

I think we can all agree Stuart Campbell is a terrible person. Particularly his rampant transphobia, which I'm sure all posters in this thread will join me, a woman, in condemning

I don't pay enough attention to know he was transphobic, but yeah he can go gently caress himself more than ever.

Not Operator fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jul 28, 2018

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

quote:

Our videos are all in full compliance with fair-use laws.
What a cretin. Fair use isn’t a concept in uk law

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

Good. Why would you not be happy that that bigoted scumbag came a cropper ?

Angepain posted:

I think we can all agree Stuart Campbell is a terrible person.
everyone apart from coohoolin apparently

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Meanwhile, evidence continues to mount that Coohoolin's professional mandolin career isn't as successful as he might wish.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

What a cretin. Fair use isn’t a concept in uk law

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright#fair-dealing

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/exceptions-to-copyright#criticism-review-and-reporting-current-events

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

I’m aware of fair dealing, which is not fair use. Might as well be bleating about the first amendment.
Your man clearly hadn’t given a moments thought to the legality of how he was using other people’s stuff in his blog. Now he’s come up a cropper.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Cerv posted:

I’m aware of fair dealing, which is not fair use. Might as well be bleating about the first amendment.
Your man clearly hadn’t given a moments thought to the legality of how he was using other people’s stuff in his blog. Now he’s come up a cropper.

It's perfectly fine to use news clips for the purpose of criticism. The BBC is only going after pro-indy websites, other examples of the same are still up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Coohoolin posted:

It's perfectly fine to use news clips for the purpose of criticism. The BBC is only going after pro-indy websites, other examples of the same are still up.

Maybe the BBC are going after people earning hundreds of thousands of pounds thanks to blogs containing their content?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

Is it perfectly fine to be a transphobic piece of poo poo as long as you support scottish nationalism ?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

jre posted:

Is it perfectly fine to be a transphobic piece of poo poo as long as you support scottish nationalism ?

No, it's not, and I never said that.

Wings is not the only media apparatus affected by this, and whataboutism doesn't make the BBC's behaviour any better.

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Coohoolin posted:

No, it's not,
Then why aren't you celebrating Stuart Campbell getting his comeuppance ?

Coohoolin posted:

Wings is not the only media apparatus affected by this

By media apparatus you mean lovely propaganda site run for the sole purpose of enriching a bigot ?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Coohoolin posted:

Wings is not the only media apparatus affected by this.

Is your source for this perhaps, Stuart Campbell, as what you've said is pretty much a quote from him in the article.

But this being you I expect you make some unfounded claims, say you heard about it 'somewhere' and then never speak of it again. That's your usual MO.

I mean Peter Curran is moaning about it because YouTube told him it would be fine, despite that not being a thing YouTube can claim. But then again, Peter Curran is in fact a lunatic.

https://twitter.com/moridura/status/1023696293451968513

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Has anyone here ordered this?

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1034387617759023105

What’s the sizing like on the tshirt?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Why don't you spend twenty quid on it and let us know.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Alex Salmond has clearly decided Scottish politics is being a bit too dull just now and is suing the Government.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
It’s not clear to me why exactly he is suing but my suspicion is that it’s to muddy the waters surrounding the allegation that he groped some woman without consent.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
I think asking for a judicial review and suing are two different things, but then again I did sleep through my Scottish law module at rgu

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Has anyone here ordered this?

https://twitter.com/ScotNational/status/1034387617759023105

What’s the sizing like on the tshirt?

Should have committed to the brand and only done free shipping for Scottish postcodes IMHO

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Salmond has quit the SNP.

Jesus Christ is there anything these fuckers won’t try to crowdfund?

https://twitter.com/AlexSalmond/status/1034886088547098624

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 29, 2018

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

He left to stop opposition attacks on the SNP, which were based on his continued membership, and he's crowdfunding as a way to measure his grassroots support, hth.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
That doesn’t help at all. Why does he need to ‘measure his grassroots support’?

And isn’t there a way of doing it that doesn’t involve a rich man asking ordinary people to pay his legal fees?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
The SNP contingent on Glasgow City Council and Glasgow Life have managed to create a shitstorm in a teacup by leaning on the board overseeing Rangers’ application for a fanzone around Ibrox, and then supporting the idea for Hampden and selling council land for the express purpose of a fanzone around Celtic Park.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/tory-msp-slams-snp-over-blocking-of-rangers-plans-for-fan-zone-1-4791186

Nice that they’ll be on the front and back pages now

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alertrelic posted:

He left to stop opposition attacks on the SNP, which were based on his continued membership, and he's crowdfunding as a way to measure his grassroots support, hth.

It's trash, the oval office is plenty well off to pay his own legal fees. "Measure his grassroots support" my arse, commission a poll rather than fleece normal working people.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
Grassroots support for what exactly?
If enough people support him will his accusers get all coy and say they must have been mistaken?
He's trying to (get others to) fund a legal challenge to how the misconduct allegations were handled. Hopefully the Court of Session isn't going to simply check who is most popular with the public and then go "You win!"
Also if the complaints procedure is "unjust" as he claims why hasn't he ever mentioned this before it was applied to him?
Man's a grasping self-congratulatory egotist. gently caress 'im.

Alertrelic
Apr 18, 2008

If you guys want to argue with the unicorn avatar crowd, then go on Twitter.

EmptyVessel posted:

Man's a grasping self-congratulatory egotist. gently caress 'im.

Of course, we all know that. He wants some leverage if/when this goes badly. I'm just suggesting the reason why a millionaire would initiate a crowdfunding campaign alongside a nationally significant resignation timed to be on the front page of the National (apparently pre-empting what would have been a Record exclusive). It's at 25k / half way already btw.

forkboy84 posted:

commission a poll

Those cost money, crowdfunding brings in money.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
What leverage does a few thousand wide eyed nationalists donating cash give him if he’s found guilty of sexually assaulting women?

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Alertrelic posted:

Those cost money, crowdfunding brings in money.

And Alex Salmond is not a man short on money. quarter of a mil from RT doesn't cover his legal fees plus the apparent "need" to find out public opinion?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/NicolaSturgeon/status/1034909245760856064

Nicola has decided that because Alex got drunk and groped some women that didn’t want him to, independence is now more important than ever.

Makes sense.