Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003

ihatepants posted:

I would be pretty upset if they decide to trade 4 years of Drury for 3 months of Happ. As much as the team needs pitching, I’d rather they just go with internal options if there’s really no one better available.

While it was the going rate, in terms of pure value the Blue Jays won this. I'm just happy they didn't give up more, and hoping it shuts everyone up. I'd rather have Drury as the world's best injury protection.

Happ is a 4th starter and will pitch to a 4.5 ERA the rest of the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Well Played Mauer
Jun 1, 2003

We'll always have Cabo

Kim Jong Il posted:

I'll take that out of a lefty the team won't need next year. Gives you more options with the Gray/German/Lasagna trio and a 4.5 era should get enough run support with this lineup.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kim Jong Il posted:

While it was the going rate, in terms of pure value the Blue Jays won this. I'm just happy they didn't give up more, and hoping it shuts everyone up. I'd rather have Drury as the world's best injury protection.

Happ has been better than a 4-5 ERA 4th starter for the vast majority of his career. Not that any of that matters if Judge is really hurt.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jul 27, 2018

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.
Happ is essentially replacing Monty in the rotation and they're about the same.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

https://twitter.com/YankeesPR/status/1022678547029262336?s=20

:shepicide:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
News could definitely be worse. Gardy/Hicks/Stanton is still a pretty decent OF!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's unfortunate that Frazier is DL'ed too.

humpthewind posted:

Happ is essentially replacing Monty in the rotation and they're about the same.

This is silly. Happ's 2016 and 2017 is way better than anything Monty has ever done.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 27, 2018

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

When is Frazier not dld

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

*Sound of glass smashing*

Bah god that's Ellsbury's music!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

*Sound of glass smashing*

Bah god that's Ellsbury's music!

Hopefully they kept a map of where they buried the barrel he's in.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The sound of the glass breaking came from jacoby's hip btw.

Also I would like to say the Happ trade is very good because the yankees got an OK pitcher for basically nothing

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

I think that if Britton shows in the next 2 months that he's healthy the Yankees should absolutely try to sign him.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

mcmagic posted:

I think that if Britton shows in the next 2 months that he's healthy the Yankees should absolutely try to sign him.

He's a 31 year old Relief pitcher and they already have a very expensive lefty in the pen. They should stay the gently caress away from him

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Paul Zuvella posted:

He's a 31 year old Relief pitcher and they already have a very expensive lefty in the pen. They should stay the gently caress away from him

He's one of the best RP's in baseball when he's healthy and he will not get as much as Chapman. They are going to lose Robertson this offseason. Britton is a perfect replacement.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Thinking about re-signing Britton is something that can easily wait until December.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Why can't Andujar play both games of a DH? He's 23 and just had a day off yesterday. Boone's lineups are completely nonsensical.

The Yankees really should hit someone today. It shouldn't just be open season on Yankee hitters from some dogshit 30 games under 500 team.

Nice job by this lineup against a AAA team. The yankees are complacent as gently caress. LOL 6-0 against a AAA team that is 30 under 500. Nice effort.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jul 28, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Man, Sevy has hit a wall and hasn’t pitched well since that game against Boston on the 1st. Getting blown out by the Royals is unacceptable.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

1. Boone puts out an embarrassing lineup acting like this game doesn't matter when they are in a "pennant race".
2. The expected pathetic gagging with RISP that we've come to know and love against AAA pitching.
3. Severino getting blasted by AAA hitters.

What a complacent embarrassment. Gary Sanchez's effort against Tampa is a perfect encapsulation of this team. This team gives poo poo effort, takes games off and thinks they can coast.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

mcmagic posted:

What a complacent embarrassment. Gary Sanchez's effort against Tampa is a perfect encapsulation of this team. This team gives poo poo effort, takes games off and thinks they can coast.

Sanchez was injured you loving idiot.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Inspector_666 posted:

Sanchez was injured you loving idiot.

Boone and Sanchez himself both said the injury wasn't an excuse for his lack of effort. He's also injured because he's out of shape and has been all season.

Maybe they are waking up and realizing how embarrassing losing this game would be?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jul 28, 2018

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

it's almost like they're pros that don't give up even when they're down 6-0 you moron

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

it's almost like they're pros that don't give up even when they're down 6-0 you moron

It's almost like they are in second place because they have been no showing games vs bad teams all season. You're acting like this is a new thing for today.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Baseball isn't generally an effort sport in game, it's one of focus and strategy. Playing harder is for cardio intensive sports where a lot of will is involved. Unless you think dudes are somehow coasting at bat? Or throwing without effort. That seems stupid. Most of the effort for baseball comes outside of the game, in training, practice, etc. And the Yankees are only middle of the pack in leaving runners in scoring position.

Gary and Boone HAVE to say he slacked because owning up is the only acceptable answer to the public, no one gives a poo poo he was hurt they just think he blew the game.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Accident Underwater posted:

Baseball isn't generally an effort sport in game, it's one of focus and strategy. Playing harder is for cardio intensive sports where a lot of will is involved. Unless you think dudes are somehow coasting at bat? Or throwing without effort. That seems stupid. Most of the effort for baseball comes outside of the game, in training, practice, etc. And the Yankees are only middle of the pack in leaving runners in scoring position.

Gary and Boone HAVE to say he slacked because owning up is the only acceptable answer to the public, no one gives a poo poo he was hurt they just think he blew the game.

Lack of focus is the same thing as lack of effort. It's not being ready to play in games against teams that they are going to need to beat to win the division. Giving up 9 runs to a AAA lineup while making moronic baserunning plays and having horrific AB's with RISP. It's not good enough.

This team is FORTY GAMES under 500.

A tidy 6 up 6 down against probably the worst pitcher still in the majors in 2018 to end it.

These lineups are inexcusable. Has Boone seen the standings?

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jul 28, 2018

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

mcmagic posted:

Why the hell is Robinson starting both games of a double header? Is Hicks injured again? Also what is the point of adding JA Happ as the 26th man in the makeup game? Why not choose someone that can actually help in the game tonight and then make the roster moves necessary to add Happ for tomorrow.

Edit: Nevermind, Happ had to be activated tonight anyway, so one of the other relievers is acting like the 26th man.

ihatepants fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Jul 28, 2018

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

mcmagic posted:

Lack of focus is the same thing as lack of effort. It's not being ready to play in games against teams that they are going to need to beat to win the division. Giving up 9 runs to a AAA lineup while making moronic baserunning plays and having horrific AB's with RISP. It's not good enough.

This team is FORTY GAMES under 500.

A tidy 6 up 6 down against probably the worst pitcher still in the majors in 2018 to end it.

Boone is reading your posts and has given up.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This team is starting 2 non major league quality hitters in both ends of a DH when they are apparently in a pennant race while resting 21 and 23 year olds for no loving reason after they just had a day off. It's an appalling lack of urgency. Someone should tell this manager that he's just as close to Boston as he is to out of the playoffs.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jul 28, 2018

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
It's only 5.5 games out of the 1st place at the end of July, my dude. They closed a bigger deficit than that in one month earlier this year and there are two whole months of regular season baseball left to play.

There's also more than one way to make the playoffs and winning your division means exactly jack poo poo. Let Boston run themselves ragged into the playoffs trying to keep up their lead. All the Yankees need to do at this point is focus on staying healthy and keeping their bats and bullpen productive. Anything else is a bonus.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

bigman.50grand posted:

It's only 5.5 games out of the 1st place at the end of July, my dude. They closed a bigger deficit than that in one month earlier this year and there are two whole months of regular season baseball left to play.

There's also more than one way to make the playoffs and winning your division means exactly jack poo poo. Let Boston run themselves ragged into the playoffs trying to keep up their lead. All the Yankees need to do at this point is focus on staying healthy and keeping their bats and bullpen productive. Anything else is a bonus.

You're right about it being early in the season, but winning your division gives a gigantic advantage in the playoffs now.

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

I wish the players on the New York Yankees would stop getting hit by pitches.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

What a treat it is to be a pitcher pitching against the Higashioka, Wade, Robinson inning. So nice of Boone to give pitchers a break like that.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

mcmagic posted:

What a treat it is to be a pitcher pitching against the Higashioka, Wade, Robinson inning. So nice of Boone to give pitchers a break like that.

Cold take

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Robinson reads this thread lol

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees in another life or death struggle with a team that is 40 loving games under 500.

Boone bunts with Didi to cost them games but not with 100 hitters.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 29, 2018

Troxartas
Jan 13, 2007

The Old Warhorse

ihatepants posted:

Why the hell is Robinson starting both games of a double header? Is Hicks injured again? Also what is the point of adding JA Happ as the 26th man in the makeup game? Why not choose someone that can actually help in the game tonight and then make the roster moves necessary to add Happ for tomorrow.

Edit: Nevermind, Happ had to be activated tonight anyway, so one of the other relievers is acting like the 26th man.

Hicks has had a sore shoulder since a slide into second Monday, they're probably tryong to mange reps with him

https://twitter.com/ColeyHarvey/status/1022115627555803141

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Yankees are at the point where they need to start worrying about Oakland more than Boston. This has collapse written all over it.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

Yankees are at the point where they need to start worrying about Oakland more than Boston. This has collapse written all over it.

you need a break

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

you need a break

What am I saying that is wrong? They are playing like crap.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

mcmagic posted:

What am I saying that is wrong? They are playing like crap.

doesn't it exhaust you to be so overwhelmingly pessimistic every loving game? it's getting old at this point, it's like you've never watched a whole season play out before

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Carlosologist posted:

doesn't it exhaust you to be so overwhelmingly pessimistic every loving game? it's getting old at this point, it's like you've never watched a whole season play out before

I'm just calling it like it is... If there is stuff to be positive about, I will be positive. I hope they start playing better.

• Locked thread