Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ryuujin posted:

Saying what I posted really doesn't happen ever is just plain wrong, as I have witnessed it repeatedly. In fact my 9th level character only survived one adventure because the DM handwaived a Wish scroll to bring them back, from a death to a creature that theoretically should not have been able to kill them as the character had 20 Intelligence and could not fail the roll against an Intellect Devourer.
You can't lose int to Devour Intellect, but Body Thief is a contest. 20 int is just a +5 (against the devourer's +1), so it still has a 26.25% chance to win the contest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Reik posted:

Not having every book for pathfinder was okay because d20pfsrd.com exists.

Can’t use that for Pathfinder Society though.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Yes if you actually have a Faction and are below level 5 you can be resurrected by your Faction, if someone bothers to do that for you.

Like, do you willfully glare at your character sheet and yell "gently caress Factions, they're for losers!!"?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Elysiume posted:

You can't lose int to Devour Intellect, but Body Thief is a contest. 20 int is just a +5 (against the devourer's +1), so it still has a 26.25% chance to win the contest.

No he cannot lose Int to an Intellect Devourer. Body Thief does give it a chance to succeed, but that normally wouldn't ever happen, since the target needs to be Incapacitated. But should the character be Incapacitated for some reason then yes there is far too much chance to outright kill a level 9 Wizard, or a level 20 Wizard for that matter, in such a way that they CANNOT be resurrected.

I am not sure why you brought this up?

Arivia posted:

Speaking of terrible rules for Adventurer's League, that is a terrible rule for Pathfinder Society.

Toshimo posted:

Like, do you willfully glare at your character sheet and yell "gently caress Factions, they're for losers!!"?

Some people don't understand Factions. Some games do not let you start with a Faction, you must complete a quest in game to gain entrance into the Faction. Some games might technically have Factions, but they do nothing because you can't reach the Faction for Resurrection.

And in some cases people see how little the Factions actually do and end up never bothering to write in a Faction after so many games of the Faction doing nothing really. Or some people just don't feel like any of the current Factions fit their character. And hey some probably just forget to fill it out. There are all kinds of reasons one might not have a Faction. I can't say what they all are, because I am not the capable of reading the minds of all the people I play with.

DapperDuck
Apr 3, 2008

Fashionable people,
you're out of luck.
The most dapper one here,
is Dapper the Duck.
Is there an actual website where you post your characters and level up and stuff for AL? I’ve never done it so I always assumed that all these restricting rules for X level characters never actually got used because local DMs never gave a gently caress beyond playing some D&D.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Ryuujin posted:

No he cannot lose Int to an Intellect Devourer. Body Thief does give it a chance to succeed, but that normally wouldn't ever happen, since the target needs to be Incapacitated. But should the character be Incapacitated for some reason then yes there is far too much chance to outright kill a level 9 Wizard, or a level 20 Wizard for that matter, in such a way that they CANNOT be resurrected.

I am not sure why you brought this up?
Because that's another way to die to an Intellect Devourer and you didn't specify in your post? The way you phrased it sounded like failed roll -> dead, which moreso rings of "lost a save or die" than "took normal damage that caused failed death saving throws," so I misinterpreted; my mistake.

Elysiume fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

DapperDuck posted:

Is there an actual website where you post your characters and level up and stuff for AL? I’ve never done it so I always assumed that all these restricting rules for X level characters never actually got used because local DMs never gave a gently caress beyond playing some D&D.

Just physical log sheets. They only really matter if you’re taking a character to a con and have to prove he’s not bullshit. I don’t usually bother with them since I only play at our local game store. I might have to do some explaining if I took my AL legal wizard with 24 int and a +18 spell attack bonus to another venue...

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
PHB+1 is dumb because 5E only has like 3 books to take things from

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
They don't necessarily have to be physical, as long as the GM can read them.

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow

Arivia posted:

What exactly is going to -stop- a player from creating their character from the info via that website though?

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Elysiume posted:

Because that's another way to die to an Intellect Devourer and you didn't specify in your post? The way you phrased it sounded like failed roll -> dead, which moreso rings of "lost a save or die" than "took normal damage that caused failed death saving throws," so I misinterpreted.

It is a failed roll is death, but the theoretically should not have been able to kill the wizard is of course because an Intellect Devourer by itself really shouldn't be able to kill a wizard of that level, because its main method of trying to get someone to be Incapacitated does not work on someone with 20 Intelligence.

Yes something else knocked him unconscious, which let him be auto killed by the Intellect Devourer, the DM deciding he had disadvantage on the Intelligence check when unconscious certainly didn't help, though he was far more likely to fail the check even with 20 Intelligence even without that, than he was to roll a natural 20 on the Death saves.

The example was only brought up to show that it is entirely possible for a high-ish level character to die in such a way that Resurrection would not have been possible, only salvageable with a very high level spell that would not normally be available at that level, and that the Adventurer's League doesn't really provide a way to get around needing to make a new character, at level 1 that would then not be able to play in that game, if the player didn't happen to have another character sheet with logsheet available in that level range.

And in case there was any more confusion about the situation, the character did not die from failed death saves. A Duergar brought him to 0 hp, and the Intellect Devourer took his body, eating his brain and permanently killing him such that Resurrection would not work and only Wish could save him.

DapperDuck posted:

So you get a DCI number, and you have a logsheet which you fill out session from session. If you actually use one, which many don't anymore, you put in the adventure name, the session number, the DM, the DM's DCI number, what your starting gold and experience were, what gold and experience you gained in the session, and any magic items you gained. Generally you NEED a signed certificate for the magic item.

I don't think WotC actually provides those magic item certificates for free any more, or the little character holder things with your selected faction that you used to get, for awhile it seemed like you could only select a faction that you had one of the character holder faction things for. It might have been around when they stopped providing that stuff that most people at least at my store kind of stopped picking factions, and generally stopped filling the logsheets out. Now if you don't fill out the logsheet you are probably okay at that table, but if you go to another store or an event you aren't likely going to be able to use that character.

Now at my store the DCI number is also used in another way, I believe this was part of AL and not a store specific thing. Basically each table writes down what players were there that day, with their DCI number, so we kept track of who was here what days.

As I understand it the Store Coordinator sends this information to WotC, in part to prove that they are in fact running AL. And thus they were eligible for the free stuff, like the character holders above, the magic item certificates, and of course the actual adventures themselves. The Store Coordinator, and through them the DMs had access to the website with the adventures. I think they may have to bay for those now.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Kaysette posted:

Just physical log sheets. They only really matter if you’re taking a character to a con and have to prove he’s not bullshit. I don’t usually bother with them since I only play at our local game store. I might have to do some explaining if I took my AL legal wizard with 24 int and a +18 spell attack bonus to another venue...

https://www.adventurersleaguelog.com/users/7204/characters/17328

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay that is kind of interesting, but it outright says it is not official. And I don't remember ever getting any information, either through Adventurer's League or on the WotC site about using it to track things.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Ryuujin posted:

None of that stuff is really true. Yes if you actually have a Faction and are below level 5 you can be resurrected by your Faction, if someone bothers to do that for you. In my experience that rarely comes up. And death can happen a lot.

There is no guarantee that someone playing will still have a character from whatever tier available with all the paperwork to throw into a game. I have almost never seen this happen in the last two years.

I am unaware of these new rules about going into debt to get resurrected, I did not remember seeing this when I was looking at the new AL rules. But getting no treasure until it is payed off sounds rather unpleasant.

You say post 5th spell services were cheap enough, but it is not cheap to get resurrected. And in my of my post 4th level experience I have not actually had the gold to pay for resurrections.

Dying in AL is not hard at all. I have seen many deaths in the last two years. The adventures are not exactly well designed, one group could curbstomp a scene, and another could get repeatedly ground to dust by it.

Saying what I posted really doesn't happen ever is just plain wrong, as I have witnessed it repeatedly. In fact my 9th level character only survived one adventure because the DM handwaived a Wish scroll to bring them back, from a death to a creature that theoretically should not have been able to kill them as the character had 20 Intelligence and could not fail the roll against an Intellect Devourer.

I had a really long spergy post, but I think I'll just say our experiences have been entirely different from each others. I've got several characters in every tier, and I have yet to see anyone beyond tier 1 permanently die. (People will throw away T1 characters if they have a pile)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Piell posted:

PHB+1 is dumb because 5E only has like 3 books to take things from

Another wrinkle of PHB+1 is that it gives the writers an excuse to pad-out the books as they duplicate things from other books in order to allow PHB+1 crossovers.

Arthil posted:

What exactly is going to -stop- a player from creating their character from the info via that website though?

Pathfinder Society ostensibly requires you to show proof of ownership of all the books that your character uses material from.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hey guys, I really want to make a character that uses a spear (and the Spear Mastery feat) to attack things. Using Booming Blade or Smites or being a monk is totally fine, or being a Hexblade or some other wacky idea you have (Valor Bard :getin:). My question is, what would be the best class to do this with? What would give me the most options and the most "cool stuff" to do as part of a party? I know Fighter is a huge dead end when it comes to social interactions thanks to 5e design, so what else can I do? Hexblade? Paladin? Monk?

It doesn't have to be an unstoppable juggernaut, and if you think it would be wiser to use a glaive and take PAM uh...I guess? I like the visual of someone wielding a simple spear and looking totally unassuming and then stabbing/smacking the poo poo out of people, but I guess I could always just say the "glaive" is a spear.
Monks are proficient with spears, and "It's just a dude with a spear OH JESUS WHAT THE gently caress AAA" is very monk-ey. You'll have jacked dex and wisdom which gives you a fair few skills. As a versatile weapon you can wield it two handed to jack it up to a d8, monk weapons only prohibit the two handed /property/. Drunken Master would be good for the unassuming bit, kensai or long death for the OH JESUS WHAT bit.

Spear mastery is a broken +1/+1 to hit and damage but the other features are bonus actions and may not play nice with your monk stuff so you might get away with it.

e: hexblade and spear aren't so good because you throw spears.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jul 28, 2018

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Splicer posted:

Monks are proficient with spears, and "It's just a dude with a spear OH JESUS WHAT THE gently caress AAA" is very monk-ey. You'll have jacked dex and wisdom which gives you a fair few skills. As a versatile weapon you can wield it two handed to jack it up to a d8, monk weapons only prohibit the two handed /property/. Drunken Master would be good for the unassuming bit, kensai or long death for the OH JESUS WHAT bit.

Spear mastery is a broken +1/+1 to hit and damage but the other features are bonus actions and may not play nice with your monk stuff so you might get away with it.

On the subject of Monks and spear throwing, "You just get to use DEX" means they can throw spears and javelins with DEX, as it doesn't specify melee attack only, just "Monk weapons" and "Unarmed strikes" :buddy:

Though the range even on a Javelin (and everything that isn't a bow or proper crossbow) in 5th edition is laughable. It can still easily fall under "Uh, ask your GM?" for if you get away with throwing something 30 feet/6 grid tiles (20ft/4 tiles for a spear) with monk benefits just because sometimes the mere idea of "But at level 17, they will be able to throw a spear/javelin for 1d0 damage!!!" seems to frighten some people.

I mean, Monks can WALK farther than you can throw a javelin without disadvantage by level 2. So it's only really a problem if a GM has a hard on for reach attach monsters clinging to walls and ceilings and other basic pranks against melee combat.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Jul 28, 2018

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Splicer posted:

Yeah losing the bonus action reach attack is what makes me wary of monk. Maybe some type of paladin? I know they have access to the 1d10 reach weapons as part of the base class, so maybe it would be better to give up on using the feat and reflavor the weapon as a simple spear.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Mr. Humalong posted:

Yeah losing the bonus action reach attack is what makes me wary of monk. Maybe some type of paladin? I know they have access to the 1d10 reach weapons as part of the base class, so maybe it would be better to give up on using the feat and reflavor the weapon as a simple spear.
This reminds me, Pike is constantly left out in the cold from everything cool.

It doesn't qualify for Polearm Mastery. It isn't name dropped for "Thrusting weapons work fine in water" even though a whaling harpoon would essentially be a pike. You're hosed trying to fight skeletons with it.

Despite being no better off statistically than a halberd or glaive even if you ignore the fact it doesn't qualify for cool options, It's the heaviest melee weapon in the player's handbook (three times as much as a glaive/halberd), just to rub it in if you have a GM that obsesses over counting encumbrance.

Who on the dev team hates pikes so much? Or is it just hosed over by happenstance? Like how I've seen the reaction to trident just being "A spear but it costs more and needs military proficiency" and "A morningstar is just a warpick that costs 10 extra gold" as "Weapons are this way for ROLEPLAY!" from some people?

Section Z fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Jul 28, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

gradenko_2000 posted:

Pathfinder Society ostensibly requires you to show proof of ownership of all the books that your character uses material from.

Huh, when I last played Pathfinder Society I made my character using the srd on my phone and no one said anything about it. The weirdest thing to me is that you had to spend points to unlock certain races but overall it was never super restrictive in my experience.

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.

Ryuujin posted:

Yes something else knocked him unconscious, which let him be auto killed by the Intellect Devourer, the DM deciding he had disadvantage on the Intelligence check when unconscious certainly didn't help,

haha what bullshit

If it only works when someone is unconscious, and the move itself doesn't say anything about advantage or disadvantage, it should be a straight roll. But, since so many things are so ambiguous

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I like how the DM covered for loving up by just saying hey have a wish that's only usable for restoring a party member

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

permanently killing him such that Resurrection would not work and only Wish could save him.

Why do you think this is a true statement?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Mr. Humalong posted:

Hey guys, I really want to make a character that uses a spear (and the Spear Mastery feat) to attack things. Using Booming Blade or Smites or being a monk is totally fine, or being a Hexblade or some other wacky idea you have (Valor Bard :getin:). My question is, what would be the best class to do this with? What would give me the most options and the most "cool stuff" to do as part of a party? I know Fighter is a huge dead end when it comes to social interactions thanks to 5e design, so what else can I do? Hexblade? Paladin? Monk?

It doesn't have to be an unstoppable juggernaut, and if you think it would be wiser to use a glaive and take PAM uh...I guess? I like the visual of someone wielding a simple spear and looking totally unassuming and then stabbing/smacking the poo poo out of people, but I guess I could always just say the "glaive" is a spear.

Monks are the way to go for spears, but they don't play nice with Spear Mastery due to a combination of really wanting stats (DEX is both to-hit, damage, and AC), having uses for their bonus action, and naturally increasing damage die as part of their class progression (even if it takes them till level 10 to catch up to SM). Honestly, Spear Mastery isn't that good compared to what's already in the book, with the only class that can really squeeze the juice out of it being Fighter.

Another option is treating the spear as a quarterstaff (or vice versa) to make it PAM compatible, and then using it alongside a shield. Not sure if that's the flavor you're going for, but a number of classes really enjoy the QS+Shield combo.

If you want the big stick as your only weapon then yeah, a Glaive + PAM. This means being a heavily armored dude unless you're a breast/half-plate Hexblade.

As for martials that get a slew of good abilities in-and-out of combat, Monk, Paladin, and Hexblade Warlock all work. Shadow Monk in particular possesses a lot of utility compared to the other monk archetypes, while Long Death and Kensei are more combat-focused. A STR-based College of Swords Bard with Dueling Fighting Style and Polearm Mastery also works really well, taking a dip of Hexblade or Paladin for shield/armor proficiency, and full Charisma synergy in the former or Divine Smite and a second Fighting Style (Defense) in the latter.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

OmanyteJackson posted:

Huh, when I last played Pathfinder Society I made my character using the srd on my phone and no one said anything about it. The weirdest thing to me is that you had to spend points to unlock certain races but overall it was never super restrictive in my experience.

It's possible that things are much different on the ground, and I was only quoting the Society rulebook, which is why I hedged my post with "ostensibly". I have also anecdotally heard that it can be much more chill than on-paper.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Toshimo posted:

why not, it works for alignment

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

Conspiratiorist posted:

Monks are the way to go for spears, but they don't play nice with Spear Mastery due to a combination of really wanting stats (DEX is both to-hit, damage, and AC), having uses for their bonus action, and naturally increasing damage die as part of their class progression (even if it takes them till level 10 to catch up to SM). Honestly, Spear Mastery isn't that good compared to what's already in the book, with the only class that can really squeeze the juice out of it being Fighter.

Another option is treating the spear as a quarterstaff (or vice versa) to make it PAM compatible, and then using it alongside a shield. Not sure if that's the flavor you're going for, but a number of classes really enjoy the QS+Shield combo.

If you want the big stick as your only weapon then yeah, a Glaive + PAM. This means being a heavily armored dude unless you're a breast/half-plate Hexblade.

As for martials that get a slew of good abilities in-and-out of combat, Monk, Paladin, and Hexblade Warlock all work. Shadow Monk in particular possesses a lot of utility compared to the other monk archetypes, while Long Death and Kensei are more combat-focused. A STR-based College of Swords Bard with Dueling Fighting Style and Polearm Mastery also works really well, taking a dip of Hexblade or Paladin for shield/armor proficiency, and full Charisma synergy in the former or Divine Smite and a second Fighting Style (Defense) in the latter.

Yeah I think I’ll just give up on Spear Mastery and re-flavor the glaive and go paladin.

Thanks to everyone that bounced ideas back.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
It seems weird that they left Pike out of the bonus action attack part of Polearm Master but didn't give Pike something else to make up for it. Maybe take the set against a charge from Spear Mastery and add it to Polearm Master for Pikes only?

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 28, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
With PFS by the rules you need to buy every book your character draws from. If you only use one feat from a book, you need to buy it. My Inquisitor draws from like 7 or 8 books so I have pretty much bought all the hardcovers to make characters. You can also buy the PDFs for much cheaper, but I hate digital formats. It's a lot of loving money to play PFS, regardless. Originally they required you to bring the books to every PFS/Con with the intent being the DM could look up whatever you added to your character because the DM shouldn't have to show up with 20 hardcover books himself. The real intent was to make sure people were buying their poo poo. Today they only require proof of ownership of the books, so bringing receipts for all the books will meet that requirement. I have a folder with all my receipts for all my books.

Have they ever checked? Nope.. But I'm a big nerd and support the games and enjoy them so I buy literally everything anyways.

AL doesn't want to go that route. They want people to show up with 2 books tops. It's a good call, IMO. Yes, I'd like to make weird combos that can't be made because of it. But I think they will need a PHB+2 at some point because magic users NEED to use Xanathars because those spells are must-haves unless you buy scrolls to get around it, which is a PITA. They kinda messed up on that unless they say spells don't add to PHB+1 at some point.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 28, 2018

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Philthy posted:

With PFS by the rules you need to buy every book your character draws from. If you only use one feat from a book, you need to buy it. My Inquisitor draws from like 7 or 8 books so I have pretty much bought all the hardcovers to make characters. It's a lot of loving money to play PFS. Originally they required you to bring the books to every PFS/Con with the intent being the DM could look up whatever you added to your character because the DM shouldn't have to show up with 20 hardcover books himself. The real intent was to make sure people were buying their poo poo. Today they only require proof of ownership of the books, so bringing receipts for all the books will meet that requirement. I have a folder with all my receipts for all my books.

Have they ever checked? Nope.. But I'm a big nerd and support the games and enjoy them so I buy literally everything anyways.

AL doesn't want to go that route. They want people to show up with 2 books tops. It's a good call, IMO. Yes, I'd like to make weird combos that can't be made because of it. But I think they will need a PHB+2 at some point because magic users NEED to use Xanathars because those spells are must-haves unless you buy scrolls to get around it, which is a PITA. They kinda messed up on that unless they say spells don't add to PHB+1 at some point.

Again the first time I played PFS the dm literaly used the SRD to help a new player create there character. I'm 90% sure no one cares unless somone needs to reference a relevant rule for clarification and that case, somone just pulls out the srd instead of a book anyway. my experience has been solely at local event's so maybe things might be different at a con. but no one expects anyone to carry 9 books when the content is available online for free.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
They should just do PHB+XGE+1 given how stacked Xanathar's is compared to Volo's, Elemental Evil PG, & SCAG.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

Toshimo posted:

Why do you think this is a true statement?

The Intellect Devourer specifically calls out your brain getting eaten and needing Wish to be cast to restore your brain.

Raise Dead certainly isn't going to bring your brain back, and without it your body would immediately die again.

Greater Restoration can restore stats, but cannot regrow your brain.

If you want to ignore the whole requires Wish to regrow your brain thing, then technically True Resurrection could work as it does restore missing organs. Resurrection does not specify restoring missing organs so it will not work.

I had actually been thinking of Raise Dead and Revify for spells that definitely don't work. But any spell that actually would work is unlikely to be available to 9th level characters.

Of course that is only assuming the statement saying you need to use Wish to restore the brain is not an actual true statement, and is only what is absolutely required in the single round one has before dying.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

OmanyteJackson posted:

Again the first time I played PFS the dm literaly used the SRD to help a new player create there character. I'm 90% sure no one cares unless somone needs to reference a relevant rule for clarification and that case, somone just pulls out the srd instead of a book anyway. my experience has been solely at local event's so maybe things might be different at a con. but no one expects anyone to carry 9 books when the content is available online for free.

I'm pretty sure that's how it is everywhere, I was just explaining how it's supposed to be vs. how it really is. I've seen a few people at Gencon in the PFS hall with all the books in their bags and it made me wince. It's dumb and stupid. I don't believe the SRD has all the books in it, just some of the "core" books.

Philthy fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Jul 29, 2018

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Reik posted:

They should just do PHB+XGE+1 given how stacked Xanathar's is compared to Volo's, Elemental Evil PG, & SCAG.

Isn't Volvo's guide pretty much solely a few player races?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Josef bugman posted:

Isn't Volvo's guide pretty much solely a few player races?

Yeah and they almost never get used in AL because that’s a poo poo use of the +1 as-is.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Section Z posted:

This reminds me, Pike is constantly left out in the cold from everything cool.

It doesn't qualify for Polearm Mastery. It isn't name dropped for "Thrusting weapons work fine in water" even though a whaling harpoon would essentially be a pike. You're hosed trying to fight skeletons with it.

Despite being no better off statistically than a halberd or glaive even if you ignore the fact it doesn't qualify for cool options, It's the heaviest melee weapon in the player's handbook (three times as much as a glaive/halberd), just to rub it in if you have a GM that obsesses over counting encumbrance.

Who on the dev team hates pikes so much? Or is it just hosed over by happenstance? Like how I've seen the reaction to trident just being "A spear but it costs more and needs military proficiency" and "A morningstar is just a warpick that costs 10 extra gold" as "Weapons are this way for ROLEPLAY!" from some people?

A pike would be worthless to an "adventurer" anyway. If you are doing DnD simulations of groups of infantry in formation then load up on pikes? Not good for forests, swamps, dungeons, indoors, and heavy/unwieldy as gently caress, unless youre actively using it as a pike for piking some people that need to be piked.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

FRINGE posted:

A pike would be worthless to an "adventurer" anyway. If you are doing DnD simulations of groups of infantry in formation then load up on pikes? Not good for forests, swamps, dungeons, indoors, and heavy/unwieldy as gently caress, unless youre actively using it as a pike for piking some people that need to be piked.
"No, seriously. It has the same stats as a glaive except it's pointy"
"But Pikes are for PHALANX FORMATIONS!"
"Why can't I just have a glaive length spear. Because that's the only amount of reach I get despite three times the weight."
"My historic authenticity is why!"

If DnD Pikes were really that massive, they would get an extra tile of reach over Halberds nobody has any problem with letting plate armor paladins twirl around like a martial arts movie. But that would be crazy :v:

This sort of mindset is why a hand crossbow with an effective range of walking speed costs 75 gold in 5th edition... So I guess the answer is just "Selective grognardism" after all.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jul 28, 2018

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Wearing plate mail should make you immune to swords

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

As someone who played 3.5 and 4 and has dipped his toe into Pathfinder character creation, PHB+1 makes a ton of sense from a real life perspective.

That changed when Xanthar's came out because of the sheer volume of stuff compared to other books.

It'd be a total PITA but they probably should errata some of the UA to attach to specific books for AL play, like the racial feats should attach to Volo's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

inthesto posted:

Wearing plate mail should make you immune to swords
Hold on a second. Just need to write down a reminder.

Skeletons... in... plate mail...

Okay, soon I shall be nearly unstoppable. The most important part is the helmet so nobody knows it's just a skeleton in there.