Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

nielsm posted:

Maybe try applying a threshold filter to the image, so any non-white areas are first converted to pure black, before doing the OCR.

this is the correct answer. you can also batch this process with irfanview. just change anything that is more than 20 points off from pure white to pure black, run it through OCR (which iirc can now also be done with irfanview), wipe hands, done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Edit:

I'm attempting to use HD PVR or HD PVR2 to capture footage from my PS3 and PS4. The video quality I'm getting isn't as high a quality as I would like.

It seems that the devices cap out at 14Mbps for quality, and I'm guessing this isn't high enough for what I want? I'm being told that if I get an Elgato HD60 S, that has quality that goes up much higher. I just want to know if anyone has experience with the different capture devices and what your input is on this issue.

I'm also being told that the Elgato doesn't play very well with OBS. What I do with the HD PVRs is just select them as a source and OBS immediately picks up what they are putting out. Is this more complicated with the Elgato? Will I not be able to get the kind of quality I want if I go through OBS?

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 26, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
This is more of question in regards to streaming (I'd ask in the stream thread, but it seems like it's reserved only for notifications about going live), but what's the most convenient way of viewing stream chat in-game if you don't have a dual monitor setup? I thought about maybe playing in windowed mode, but it seems like that would cause performance issues.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Max Wilco posted:

This is more of question in regards to streaming (I'd ask in the stream thread, but it seems like it's reserved only for notifications about going live), but what's the most convenient way of viewing stream chat in-game if you don't have a dual monitor setup? I thought about maybe playing in windowed mode, but it seems like that would cause performance issues.

You could maybe try using the Twitch app on your phone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you have a laptop or tablet you can log into your stream dashboard there and just set it beside you while you play. The phone will be harder on your neck but is also an option if you don't have either of those.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
If you have an android phone you can use Stream Companion to view the chat of any channel

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.streamhelper.streamhelper

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
this new dumbass YouTube Studio (Beta) thing is pissing me the hell off

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm so surprised that YouTube overhauled their UI so that every element takes up more space, requires more clicks to do what you want, and has less functionality than it did before

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

The more space thing makes sense. The UI is now a lot more mobile friendly and I can manage my channel from my phone now without a lot of faff, which is nice.

Everything else well I don’t have an answer for that it basically sucks

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Things the new YT studio gets rid of:

1. Proper grammar:

(Youtube know's what their doing okay?? dont question it)

2. The ability to rearrange/delete tabs on the main page:

(Hope you like looking at me forever and ever!)

3. The ability to select multiple videos at once on the videos list

(No more adding videos to playlists or setting them unlisted/public/private/monetized all at once!)

4. The ability to filter your videos by public/unlisted/private on the videos list

(Looking for a specific video? You'd better know the title of it my dude)

5. Statistics on analytics now default to watch time, aka the one that's completely useless as a metric for how many people watch your videos

(But at least you know how much total human life was spent on these specific videos!)

And I'm sure there's more related to analytics and stuff but none of that is really objectively important functionality like the rest of this little list.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
Question, I'm working at the Dwarf Fortress Arena thread and when I'm trying to use Irfanview to take a screenshot - I have the relevant options checked (foreground window - client area, hide mouse, and I'm using a key combo that DF doesn't use) it just makes the Windows 10 error sound and doesn't take a screenshot. I've tried it with non-DF programs as well and I'm getting the same result.

E: Apparently this is just the noise that it makes!

Galick fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jul 29, 2018

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
Does anyone here have any experience using Wine to get Rightload and Capture2Text to work on a Mac? I have a little experience with Wine, but if someone has done it before it'd be greatly appreciated. I can use Windows, but it's inconvenient.

Edit: Never mind, it's just going to be so much easier to use Windows for my LPs.

Oublietteer fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 1, 2018

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I bought Vegas Pro in a humble bundle and am using it to encode some video but I'm not super familiar with the program and my first whack at it ended up ugly and fuzzy. It might have been a different problem or it might've been a bad encoder. Anybody with experience that can chime in and talk about which encoder they've found to be useful?

E: in particular the part about the encoded video that I dislike is it's a pixel graphics game and it looks ugly and streaky when the character is moving quickly. Like the video equivalent of a jpg instead of a png.

Like this. I don't know what option to fiddle with to make it not do this. I've never really taken the time to learn the nitty gritty technical side of video making.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Aug 5, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

I bought Vegas Pro in a humble bundle and am using it to encode some video but I'm not super familiar with the program and my first whack at it ended up ugly and fuzzy. It might have been a different problem or it might've been a bad encoder. Anybody with experience that can chime in and talk about which encoder they've found to be useful?

I use Sony AVC/MVC --> Internet 1920x1080, customized to 60fps.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Agent355 posted:

E: in particular the part about the encoded video that I dislike is it's a pixel graphics game and it looks ugly and streaky when the character is moving quickly. Like the video equivalent of a jpg instead of a png.

I am by no means an experienced encoder, but I'd guess that what's going on here is the encoder is only recording at 30FPS while the game runs at 60FPS (or at any rate the encoder FPS is less than the game FPS), and it's smearing between frames to keep the video smooth. Check to see if there's a framerate you can set for the recording.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Yeah my source is 60 and the encoder is set to 30 but there is a checkbox that says 'allow source to change framerate' which I took to mean 'use the framerate of the source by default' but I'll force it to 60 and do a quick low res encode to see if thats better.

I'll try out jamesman's setting too to overnight to see how it looks for an actual youtube-quality encode.

E: while I'm thinking of it, as time moves on and videos get larger and larger has anybody found a good option for sharing a video for commentary? Currently I'm just making lovely encodes to keep the gb down and pass it through drop box but it'd be nice if I could commentate over a video with watchable quality.

Agent355 fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 5, 2018

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

Fun Shoe
Upload an unlisted video to YouTube and give the co-commentator the link.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also if nothing needs to change apart from the audio part from your co-commentator getting mixed in, you technically don't need to re-encode the entire video, you should be able to just replace the audio track but keep the video. I don't know if YouTube has gotten an easy way to upload a new audio track, though, or if their only "replace audio" feature is still selecting from a bunch of stock music. E: Nope can't upload your own replacement audio. Even if you can cut down encoding time on your own end you still have to re-upload the entire video after finishing the audio.

nielsm fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Aug 5, 2018

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Agent355 posted:

Like this. I don't know what option to fiddle with to make it not do this. I've never really taken the time to learn the nitty gritty technical side of video making.
Vegas tries to force a resample filter on your video, and you can get rid of it by clicking Edit > Switches > Disable Resample. Or right-click the video and then go to Switches > Disable Resample. I don't know if that will help with your specific problem (although I do know resampling is generally bad for 2D pixel art games), but it's something you should always do regardless when using Vegas.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

For my video LP I want to include pictures of all the glossary entries for all the characters you run into because they sometimes contain clues to the puzzles and/or good jokes. I can take screenshots of each one but the entry itself is smaller than the whole screen. How can I take ~50 pictures or w/e and crop them as an entire batch? I know I can use rightload to upload to lpix as a batch which I did way back in the one SSLP I did, but I don't know how to batch crop.

Also thanks for the encoding advice, video that I encoded overnight looks great.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

IrfanView's batch processing can cut out the same coordinates from a series of files at once.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
So I'm doing an SSLP, and it was suggested that I take videos of the game and use that to get good screenshots, rather than getting the screenshots as I go along. I do like this idea, since it will let me get pictures easier and make gifs of the stuff that works better that way. But after reading the stuff in the first couple of posts, I'm still kind of lost on what to do. I began recording with OBS, which seemed to work fine, but am unsure of what to do next. Can someone break down what methods and programs would be best for getting screenshots and gifs out of videos made with OBS?

Also, it's a DS game, which has a pretty small native resolution. I resized the pictures to double, which works fine. But one of the things in the first posts said to record at the size you want the final result to be. Is it better to record at double size and make stuff from that, or record at regular size and increase the size of the screenshots/gifs afterwards?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Oublietteer posted:

So I'm doing an SSLP, and it was suggested that I take videos of the game and use that to get good screenshots, rather than getting the screenshots as I go along. I do like this idea, since it will let me get pictures easier and make gifs of the stuff that works better that way. But after reading the stuff in the first couple of posts, I'm still kind of lost on what to do. I began recording with OBS, which seemed to work fine, but am unsure of what to do next. Can someone break down what methods and programs would be best for getting screenshots and gifs out of videos made with OBS?
there may be better/newer programs to do this, but the way i have always done that is to open it in VirtualDub, find the frame i want, and then copy that frame out (ctrl+2). you can then paste it into irfanview or whatever to do whatever you want with it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Load the video in Aegisub, right-click the video and choose to save screenshot to file. The files are named after video and frame number, I think.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Oublietteer posted:

Also, it's a DS game, which has a pretty small native resolution. I resized the pictures to double, which works fine. But one of the things in the first posts said to record at the size you want the final result to be. Is it better to record at double size and make stuff from that, or record at regular size and increase the size of the screenshots/gifs afterwards?

If you're using Desmume, it's got a built-in recording function you can use. You really don't need to do anything fancy to get the screenshots either; I use VLC to play the videos and Irfanview to take screenshots, crop and resize, but there are myriad ways you can do it.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

MeGUI has up and decided that it doesn't like the built-in function TimeStretch. Any script using it that I throw at the renderer fails outright.

The above error is in the context of Nidoking's ChangeSpeed function. MeGUI is the only program that has a problem with the function. VirtualDub, Aegisub, even AVSPmod are all fine with the script as it stands. Any ideas why it's suddenly acting up?

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DoubleNegative posted:

MeGUI has up and decided that it doesn't like the built-in function TimeStretch. Any script using it that I throw at the renderer fails outright.

The above error is in the context of Nidoking's ChangeSpeed function. MeGUI is the only program that has a problem with the function. VirtualDub, Aegisub, even AVSPmod are all fine with the script as it stands. Any ideas why it's suddenly acting up?
Ran into a similar issue a while ago and Nido had some helpful advice that you might want to check:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post479789788

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

discworld is all I read posted:

Ran into a similar issue a while ago and Nido had some helpful advice that you might want to check:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3590713&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=138#post479789788

Thank you! That seems to have fixed things.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I want to get back into streaming. I would like to stream some Quake Champions as my first project and then go back to streaming some retro stuff I have.

I have a desktop PC: i7-6700k @ 4ghz, 16 GB RAM, 1060 6GB
Laptop: 2016 MacBook Pro i7 @ 2.9ghz, 16 GB Ram, Radeon Pro 455
Elgato Game Capture HD (old version)

Would it be to my advantage to use my laptop as the streaming computer and game on my PC? How would I go about doing that using something like OBS?

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Both your cpu and gpu have dedicated video encoding hardware on them that OBS can be set up to make use of to stream with little to no performance hit.

The CPU option is Intel quicksync which will require you to install the Intel integrated graphics drivers to use, the GPU option should be to encode with NVENC which iirc shouldn't require anything extra.

Oublietteer
Jul 30, 2018

Is that you, Edea Lee?
When I try to use Rightload and the LPix plugin, I get an error:

"Program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer"

I tried installing the Visual C thing from Microsoft, but it's still happening. I was able to use Rightload before with no issues. Any ideas what's up?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Stop using Rightload and use ShareX instead, it's actually maintained.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

lohli posted:

Both your cpu and gpu have dedicated video encoding hardware on them that OBS can be set up to make use of to stream with little to no performance hit.

The CPU option is Intel quicksync which will require you to install the Intel integrated graphics drivers to use, the GPU option should be to encode with NVENC which iirc shouldn't require anything extra.
Ok that's great because I realized my elgato can max capture 1080p@30fps which sucks for Quake Champions and I want 60fps. I wanted to use the laptop to capture and be the monitor for other OBS stuff like having an eye on the chat and dealing with the camera/voice but then I have to use screen mirroring to capture and play in 1080 instead of my usual 1440. How do people use OBS to manage a stream if you only have one monitor playing your game full screen and doing the capture?

My laptop/elgato setup works great for console games though.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oublietteer posted:

When I try to use Rightload and the LPix plugin, I get an error:

"Program can't start because MSVCR120.dll is missing from your computer"

I tried installing the Visual C thing from Microsoft, but it's still happening. I was able to use Rightload before with no issues. Any ideas what's up?

If the ShareX advice the previous poster gave doesn't work for some reason - what you can do is go to a DLL download site, search for that missing DLL, download it and dump it into the Rightload folder. That trick usually solves any DLL issue. However, this is fully on your own risk. It's easy to inject viruses into DLLs and downloading files that can contain viruses from a random website might not be the best idea.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Do not do that.

MSVCR120 is part of the Visual Studio 2013 redistributable: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

You'll need either the x86 or the x64 version depending on what bit-ness Rightload is, if in doubt just install both.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008

Housh posted:

Ok that's great because I realized my elgato can max capture 1080p@30fps which sucks for Quake Champions and I want 60fps. I wanted to use the laptop to capture and be the monitor for other OBS stuff like having an eye on the chat and dealing with the camera/voice but then I have to use screen mirroring to capture and play in 1080 instead of my usual 1440. How do people use OBS to manage a stream if you only have one monitor playing your game full screen and doing the capture?

My laptop/elgato setup works great for console games though.

You could just load up the stream on a web browser on the laptop to see how the A/V and chat are. Or use an app to look at the chat on your phone. I've seen streams where twitch chat is rendered over the video but I don't know if you can get a twitch chat overlay or if you'd even want one.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

lohli posted:

You could just load up the stream on a web browser on the laptop to see how the A/V and chat are. Or use an app to look at the chat on your phone. I've seen streams where twitch chat is rendered over the video but I don't know if you can get a twitch chat overlay or if you'd even want one.
Yeah I was thinking of that. Just having my laptop out to monitor the twitch page.

Ok I did some tests. I recorded video from my gaming PC into my macbook using the elgato capture. Pros: maintained 115fps I usually get from playing. Cons: I can't get the elgato to record above 30fps even though my model should be able to do 720@60. Also, no idea how to properly route the audio so I can hear it properly. Can my PC output audio to both HDMI for capture and to whatever else so I can hear it? This was using the elgato program.

Now I tried recording using optimal OBS settings everyone seems to use (using the nvidia shadow capture driver) and I was getting around 90fps and noticed choppy gameplay at times. It did record at 720@60fps but when I played back the video...it looked more pixelated and stuttering than the elgato capture.

So I dunno. I think a lot more tinkering. My best case is being able to record and stream 720p@60 with my existing hardware.

edit: figured it out. the reason I wasn't getting 60fps on the elgato is because I have to set my game to 720p....YUCK! I'm using a 2k monitor. I think my bottleneck is the capture device. I guess either tinker with capturing on OBS using the gaming pc....or need a new capture device.

Housh fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Aug 23, 2018

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I can not get my stream to not look choppy. I am currently streaming at 4kbps, 1280x720 output 60 FPS, using x264 and advanced setting of threads=14. I run my games at 3440x1440 and crop my video to 16:9 in OBS. I'm running a 1950X and Titan XP and my WAN connection is 100/20Mbps. In any browser I view my stream in it's always choppy.

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Do you mean 4mbps? If it is kbps that would definitely be a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

SlayVus posted:

using x264

*hikes up plumber's crack*

There's you're problem right there. Even if your CPU is burly enough to handle it on paper, x264 is not the greatest for streaming. Try it out with NVENC and route those calculations through your GPU instead. You already have that architecture sitting around doing not much, may as well use the drat thing. Free bonus: you could probably bump to 1080 or 1440 with that spec, too, since you seem to have the hardware for it.