Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
*gut punches a middle-aged woman* WE LIVE IN A SOCIETY *kicks her in the ribs* WE HAVE RULES

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tankadillo
Aug 15, 2006

https://twitter.com/J_Ishiro/status/1018940636588699648

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

hahahahahahahahaha

Imagine being proud of this

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

"I recognised you from your tweet" is a thing I hope no one ever says to me.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I mean with tweets like yours, I understand.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

That's the guy with the big boobed Nazi wife right

felch me daddy jr.
Oct 30, 2009

Zelder posted:

Yeah.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

Zelder posted:

This is the actual conversation that takes place on the off-chance he's recognized.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://twitter.com/amandadeibert/status/1022983192972648448

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Kids say random poo poo like that all the time.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Yes, that's also how a lot of newer picture books sound.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
Pasting some text from Facebook:

There’s this 24-hour sandwich kiosk near my job run by a Muslim guy and during prayers, the Central American dude working at the pretzel cart next to him will step in and take over for a bit to help him out. When the pretzel guy can’t, regular customers respectfully wait in line until they can be attended.

This morning some tourists wearing fanny packs and crucifixes were bitching about having to wait three minutes (he was almost done) and a freaking nun in the queue turned around and said “my brother is praying, show some respect” and before the mouthiest of the tourists could respond, this ENORMOUS Armenian construction worker who is the absolute nicest man and says good morning to everyone every single day turns around and says “Are you gonna fuckin’ argue with a fuckin’ nun? gently caress outta here! Yo, Sister, ‘scuse my language, but Christ. Oh poo poo, I didn’t mean that. I’ll stop tawkin’ now.”

AND the Sister gave him a very sly fist bump and now I have coffee in my nasal passages.

I. Seriously. Love. This. City. Sometimes.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
that's amazing

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
*Dustin Hoffman voice* Hey, I'm prayin' heah!

McGurk
Oct 20, 2004

Cuz life sucks, kids. Get it while you can.

You want spidah man you gotta come through us!

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

That doesn't really tick the usual STDH boxes. It's a drat good story, though.

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
its not. it hits like almost every 'stdh' bingo square

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
what've we got here?

-insane WASPs (with stereotypical fanny packs and crucifixes so we know they're catholics who hate muslims) complaining about 'them forners'

-radical nun whos actually hella cool with the religion thats nearly an antithesis of her own

-enormous construction worker, specifically mentioned because USUALLY both of those traits mean you're mean and racist, but this one was actually super cool

-nun doin badass poo poo like fist bumpin a dude. ever see a nun do that? bet u haven't. woah!!! (this is basically the same cliche as the 'swearing grandmother')

-happy moral tale that lets the teller live vicariously through X (in this case their city) even though they didnt do anything

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

drygear posted:

Pasting some text from Facebook:

There’s this 24-hour sandwich kiosk near my job run by a Muslim guy and during prayers, the Central American dude working at the pretzel cart next to him will step in and take over for a bit to help him out. When the pretzel guy can’t, regular customers respectfully wait in line until they can be attended.

This morning some tourists wearing fanny packs and crucifixes were bitching about having to wait three minutes (he was almost done) and a freaking nun in the queue turned around and said “my brother is praying, show some respect” and before the mouthiest of the tourists could respond, this ENORMOUS Armenian construction worker who is the absolute nicest man and says good morning to everyone every single day turns around and says “Are you gonna fuckin’ argue with a fuckin’ nun? gently caress outta here! Yo, Sister, ‘scuse my language, but Christ. Oh poo poo, I didn’t mean that. I’ll stop tawkin’ now.”

AND the Sister gave him a very sly fist bump and now I have coffee in my nasal passages.

I. Seriously. Love. This. City. Sometimes.

And that nun... was Albert Einstein.

drygear
Aug 2, 2007
the frog
The big tell is the construction worker's dialogue and dialect, and how he shares a fist bump with the nun. The nun is a variant on the hip/wacky grandma. The construction worker fills the same role that biker dudes tend to.

The detail of the tourists all wearing fanny packs and crucifixes feels like something from a NAR story.

Edit: I see your friend a dog said this better
Also I like how the Muslim guy they're defending doesn't have any agency and doesn't even get to say a single thing.

drygear has a new favorite as of 02:18 on Aug 2, 2018

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

your friend a dog posted:

-radical nun whos actually hella cool with the religion thats nearly an antithesis of her own

I'm gonna have to disagree that two monotheistic religions that identify Abraham as a patriarch and started in the Middle East are antithetical. More to the point, a lot of religious people are quite tolerant of other religions, especially if they're locally minorities (not sure where this is supposed to be, but there are a lot of places where Catholics are minorities).

your friend a dog
Nov 2, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Jurgan posted:

I'm gonna have to disagree that two monotheistic religions that identify Abraham as a patriarch and started in the Middle East are antithetical. More to the point, a lot of religious people are quite tolerant of other religions, especially if they're locally minorities (not sure where this is supposed to be, but there are a lot of places where Catholics are minorities).

nuns are usually pretty hardline christians in my experience. and christians and muslims do not get along at all from a religious stand point. one might object to someone harassing a muslim, but they'd never call one doing their prayers their 'brother'

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

your friend a dog posted:

-insane WASPs (with stereotypical fanny packs and crucifixes so we know they're catholics

:crossarms:

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Crucifixes are a Catholic thing, Protestants generally use plain crosses.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

Pththya-lyi posted:

What's the fanny pack for, extra communion bread?

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
My favorites is people who wear the rosary beads as a fashion piece, but swear up and down they're not wrong in doing so.

Yes. Yes you are.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tochiazuma posted:

I think it's to show they're tacky white people

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Tochiazuma posted:

It’s to carry stuff

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Pththya-lyi posted:

Anglicans wear them too. But my point was more that White Anglo-Saxon Protestants aren't usually Catholic.

Slowpoke Rodriguez
Jun 20, 2009
They were WASP stereotypes as envisioned by someone who doesn't know much about religion.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Slowpoke Rodriguez posted:

They were WASP stereotypes as envisioned by someone who doesn't know much about religion.

I think that's it

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

CordlessPen posted:

Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo.

ABCD Mudcrabs? MNO Mudcrabs. SARSARCDBDI's!

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

For me it's the Talking. Like. This. gently caress. That. poo poo.

Same when people use the clapping emoji between words. No one is going to be chanting your bullshit.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

I loving hate the clapping emoji. It's mostly used in a context of "I'm sharing my lovely opinion but I'm clapping so now you can't argue with me!!!"

Minorities 👏 don't 👏 deserve 👏 rights 👏 !!!!!!!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

https://awm.com/teacher-was-tired-h..._source=america

quote:

Leland shared his story on Facebook when he returned home, writing: “I was feeling pretty jaded this morning as two different sets of parents at Walmart stopped me in the school supplies aisle to complain about how much they had to get their kids this year. ‘This is just ridiculous. I don’t know how these teachers think we are supposed to get all this stuff.’”

He added: “As they complained, they seemed to be oblivious to the fact that my cart was filled with a class set of all the supplies they were buying — which should have been a pretty clear indication that I was one of those greedy teachers they were complaining about.”

Leland then headed to the register, explaining: “While I was checking out, though, things took a very different turn. I noticed the man in front of me in the checkout lane was buying school supplies for his daughter. As he went to leave, he said to me, ‘You are a teacher, right? I just want to thank you for everything you do. I see your cart is full with supplies, and I just wanted to help out as much as I can.’”

After hearing the previous complaints, he was likely taken aback a bit, sharing that the man “handed me a $25 Wal-Mart gift card, shook my hand, and walked away with his daughter smiling big at me.”

He was, of course, thankful for th gesture, but there was something else, he explained: “While I was extremely moved by the man’s generosity, the part that stuck with me the most was the difference in his message to his daughter compared with the parents who had been complaining earlier.”

Leland noted: “The kids who heard their parents complaining heard this message: ‘School is not important enough to spend money on it, teachers are not to be trusted and have bad judgment, and learning does not require investment.’” In comparison, he said: “The kid whose dad handed me the gift card heard: ‘School is important enough that we should give more than required to make sure it is successful, teachers should be respected and valued, and learning requires us giving it everything we have.’”

It was definitely a turnaround in Leland’s day!

:rolleyes:

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I like how that one is written in the third person omniscient as if it's more valid and true because it sounds like a news story

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

RoboRodent posted:

I loving hate the clapping emoji. It's mostly used in a context of "I'm sharing my lovely opinion but I'm clapping so now you can't argue with me!!!"

Post this on Twitter as 2 separate tweets

Trash Boat
Dec 28, 2012

VROOM VROOM

Eat Teach the rich.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

RoboRodent posted:

Hmmmm, normally I wouldn't agree but your presentation is very compelling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Eh, I've bought school supplies for people on occasion.

gently caress posting your poo poo like that on social media though. do good things to do good things, not get your dick virtually sucked.