Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I have to say, I do like when a news feed comes up on something relevant and interesting, or something based on an activity I searched for or things like travel, but holy crap sometimes it is just terrible. It will dig up news articles from a year ago and try to pass them off as new news and well, it then keeps coming up even though I have hidden it multiple times.

Google has gotten better, but they also have gotten better at getting worse too.

I actually miss HTC's old school blinkfeed. Before it turned into the garbage that is News Republic, it's old news algorithm was actually not bad and usually had the latest this or that and was organized in a way that wasn't irritating as hell to use.

Ah the old days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

I remember on the day that congressman got shot a couple years ago, I walked by a TV and saw the news there first before I picked up my phone, and then I picked up my phone and saw the little news icon in the notification bar. I assumed it was a story about the congressman getting shot. It was not. It was a story from a blog about a beta version of Google Now possibly changing their design to make cards have a transparent background.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

strap on revenge posted:

in defense of spincube i don't really think that's a preference that needs to be justified. they probably just prefer to listen to music that they actually want to listen to instead of wasting time with stuff they may or may not like

I'm not asking for justification, I'm asking for the reasoning behind it. And I'm asking not to make fun or anything but because I've found this to be entirely true:

RZA Encryption posted:

I used to be like that but once I stopped caring so much and quit micromanaging everything I suddenly got a lot happier and life is just generally more relaxing.

Use the programs the way they want you to. You're just swimming against the tide otherwise.

Accepting things has been such a huge quality of life improvement for me that I honestly can't imagine the mindset of "Nope, I just hate being happy and not fighting for lost causes." After all, in the post itself he mentions grumbling which seems to me to indicate someone who isn't happy with the state of things. Perhaps it's time to change?

SealHammer
Jul 4, 2010
Click to understand my bad faith posting.
hey phone nerds what's the thread consensus on the oneplus 6 and the mate 10 pro (or any other comparable product)? i'm in the market for my first serious phone to replace my wizened old first-gen moto g and these are the two that i'm looking at strongly both for overall hardware and also for dev support. xda seems to think they're each solid devices but the oneplus is friendlier to tinkerers while the huawei likes to brick itself when touched inappropriately. anybody have some insight on that, or at least the phones in their natural state? i'm not necessarily dead set on fiddling with firmware, i just like having options.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

SealHammer posted:

hey phone nerds what's the thread consensus on the oneplus 6 and the mate 10 pro (or any other comparable product)? i'm in the market for my first serious phone to replace my wizened old first-gen moto g and these are the two that i'm looking at strongly both for overall hardware and also for dev support. xda seems to think they're each solid devices but the oneplus is friendlier to tinkerers while the huawei likes to brick itself when touched inappropriately. anybody have some insight on that, or at least the phones in their natural state? i'm not necessarily dead set on fiddling with firmware, i just like having options.

Mate 10 pro is excellent, my wife has been using it for the past year while I’ve got the mate 9. Great speed, ridiculous battery life, and the camera is pretty drat nice. They seem to update fairly regularly as well.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

SealHammer posted:

My p20 is as smooth as my pixel, has the most responsive lcd I've used on any Android phone aside from a u11, has better battery life than the oneplus 6(I've had both) is one handable and has great design and it's $520 on Amazon. If you hate the notch just hide it in software

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Khablam posted:

People say this but it's not true. Google are so successful because they realise people are both. They're not selling your data onto anyone,

Weasel words. They're not selling and emailing USERDATA.zip to Nigerian princes, no, but they're still selling access to portfolios featuring users, white, male, 18-45, who like nuts and gum, to be advertised at so they buy Nuts'n'Gum (Together At Last!).

LastInLine posted:

So I'm genuinely asking: What possible downside is there to allowing Google, who is collecting data about your likes, actions, and preferences already, from suggesting things that you also might like?

Because I don't agree to the collection in the first place, given that the data is then stored forever inside Google's big black box. I've no idea what it is precisely that they're recording about me, and I've no idea how securely it's stored or who has access to it. In a world of The Fappening and the Equifax breaches, big data security is a joke.

Second, I wouldn't trust anyone to recommend me things if they have a vested interest in me then purchasing those things, because our overall goals are different. Chortle about goony goon goons or whatever, but as an example I'd trust goonchat for recommendations simply based on that nobody's profiting from telling me to listen to X if I liked Y and Z (not even Lowtax :v:), compared to music/game/etc review blogs with Amazon referral links.

So I'll still use their services, because what the gently caress else am I going to do while still using the internet in 2018? I'm not going to effect change to Google's entire business model, so I'm just going to break their machine as best as I can instead. I use an adblocker, I turn off anything that's a 'recommended for you' thing where possible, and I just try to keep as much as I can out of the hands of someone else. tl:dr, I just plain don't trust Google because on a fundamental level their business model is untrustworthy

spincube fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 28, 2018

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Use an iPhone buddy, I guarantee Apple music will never suggest anything you like.

Tokit
Dec 16, 2004

I was doing the composing.

Maker Of Shoes posted:

while the number is facetious it's not entirely off the mark. my kid and his circle of friends all consume music on YT exclusively. i thought it was kind of weird but it's just what they do.

:shrug:

Khablam posted:

Yeah, it's a BS stat but the top 100 YT videos isn't completely dominated by recent chart hits for no reason.

I just think 110% is really exaggerated, I'm sure there are a lot of teens that use only spotfiy/apple music/tidal (lol)

There is likely another very small percentage that might only listen to FM radio or something because they're in rural areas with no/slow internet

Some might still torrent mp3s, get them off of a ftp server (likely way less popular now)

and I bet there's a small percentage of hipsters that listen to music only on ~vinyl records~

Then there is the few that probably don't listen to music much at all and a bunch that do a combination of all of the above to get their music.

I just feel like the number of teens using only youtube to listen to music is around the 75%~ mark and not 110%

Now I'm gonna be a paranoid/crazy nerd and say that not 100% of youtube views are legit, faking views isn't hard to do and it wouldn't surprise me if some big music labels like UMG get some fake views. They definitely get priority in the curated/suggested songs section.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen some real lovely popular pop music in the suggested videos list when I have 0 interest in them or have even watched anything related to it recently.

spincube posted:

I don't want to be curated at, I've no interest in 'suggested contents' or 'recommended for yous' or anything at all like that. None whatsoever. I realise that there's no way in hell I'm ever going to personally change Google's entire business model, so rather than live a lovely existence of FOSS phone roms and hacking together my own email service, I'm going to do the next best thing: make do, starve the beast as best as I can, and grumble.

:same:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm0t99WmSCM

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

spincube posted:

Weasel words. They're not selling and emailing USERDATA.zip to Nigerian princes, no, but they're still selling access to portfolios featuring users, white, male, 18-45, who like nuts and gum, to be advertised at so they buy Nuts'n'Gum (Together At Last!).

Those two alternatives don't even exist on the same continuum.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

Tokit posted:

I just think 110% is really exaggerated, I'm sure there are a lot of teens that use only spotfiy/apple music/tidal (lol)

In the UK at least spotify has overtaken youtube as a music platform among 16-19 year olds.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

LastInLine posted:

Other things that suggest things that I enjoy frequently: The Google feed in Chrome/Pixel Launcher, Google Music radio stations, Google News.

Honestly the only Google property which doesn't suggest things well is YouTube and I'm sure it's because it can't distinguish easily between things I seek out actively and things I watch because I came across them on the web and hate-watched.

The suggestions I get are clickbait at best.

I spent an evening troubleshooting my home internet and Google decides based on those searches I need to see some Seeking Alpha posts about AT&T's stock price.

I subscribe to NYT, WaPo, and WSJ and read them regularly. Google decides to send me racist uncle forwards from the Fox News op-ed page.

I'd be happy and would love the feed if the suggestions were actually relevant to me, but they're so far from it that it's laughable.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Weird, mine are pretty good.

I mean, I do get click bait stuff and some stuff I would never ever be interested in, in even an expand-your-horizons sort of way, but that's maybe 20 percent of the recommended stuff I get on my feed, youtube, and other places Google recommends me stuff.

I can sit down in front of my TV with my Shield TV and spend an hour or two purely on my YouTube recommended section.

Of course there's a real danger of living in a filter bubble of Googles making rather than your own, so I proactively curate a wide range of sources in my RSS feeds...specifically to avoid the filter bubble problem. The vast majority of my serendipitous information consumption happens via RSS.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tokit posted:

Now I'm gonna be a paranoid/crazy nerd and say that not 100% of youtube views are legit, faking views isn't hard to do and it wouldn't surprise me if some big music labels like UMG get some fake views. They definitely get priority in the curated/suggested songs section.

I can't tell you how many times I've seen some real lovely popular pop music in the suggested videos list when I have 0 interest in them or have even watched anything related to it recently.
If you're one to watch trending videos, it will suggest other trending videos to you, which tend to be pop hits.
I'm sure there's an element of directed advertising to get videos going, but at quick glance the entire top 100 are pop songs with one billion views+ each.

All I'm saying is this is more than a healthy base from which to build something that feeds into YT music.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

spincube posted:

Because I don't agree to the collection in the first place,

Why not just use Apple who has based their entire business model around exactly this?

They have a phone that encrypts your data so even they can't get to it, a full range of software designed around privacy first and foremost, and an entire ecosystem that most would say functions as well or better than Google's. You can rest assured that their virtual assistant will never get smarter and that they'll lag far behind in AI and machine learning and all the other engines of our modern dystopia.

Or do your principles against our private enterprise panopticon not extend to support arrogant capitalist dominance?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Google News / Pixel launcher feed / Chrome feed are all pretty good at recommending articles that I'm actually interested in, at least once I turned off the Daily Express, Daily Mail and Daily Star. It wasn't actually making bad suggestions with these, it's just that I don't ever want to read their opinions about video games, technology, football or - god help us - Brexit. I read about all of those things, but not there.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Ultimately what I want is to pay $200 for a phone that meets my day-to-day needs, and that pretty much means putting up with feeding Google's SKYNET as it lurches toward sentience. (At least we know that they'll abandon it for a completely different world-dominating AI Overlord with a half-assed messenging feature before it comes online.)

I don't find most of Google's predictive stuff all that useful, but occasionally it's okay and when it's not it's pretty easy to ignore. And, I joke about this but I'm also kind of not joking: I don't have a lot of money or any particularly interesting or noteworthy habits, so Google/the Chinese government/the NSA/malware authors are welcome to have at it.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Google News keeps wanting me to read updates about Meghan Markle and sports. Is there any way to tell them to gently caress off with that? I already blocked all the celebrity gossip sites I could but I don't want to start blocking NBC News.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
Any word yet on Android P's release date?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Mu Zeta posted:

Google News keeps wanting me to read updates about Meghan Markle and sports. Is there any way to tell them to gently caress off with that? I already blocked all the celebrity gossip sites I could but I don't want to start blocking NBC News.

Press the three dot menu and click the thumbs-down / recommend-fewer menu item.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Someone has to explain to me the point of standards, if they don't the gently caress work. I unwrapped my Fitbit again, after upgrading to the Pixel 2 XL, and turns out, they can't loving stand each other. Confirmed by all the complaints on Fitbit's support forum. It's BT4 LE, ffs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Unfortunately, that's the way most standards work in the real world.

They just increase the likelihood of interoperability, they do not guarantee it.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Obligatory.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Combat Pretzel posted:

Someone has to explain to me the point of standards, if they don't the gently caress work. I unwrapped my Fitbit again, after upgrading to the Pixel 2 XL, and turns out, they can't loving stand each other. Confirmed by all the complaints on Fitbit's support forum. It's BT4 LE, ffs.

My wife had to try like three Fitbit models before she could find one that worked reliably with her Pixel.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

https://9to5google.com/2018/07/28/google-app-8-14-apk-insight-teardown/

Looks like the newest Google app has something called a Pixel Stand. Rumors are saying that it'll probably be a Smart Display that activate when your phone is on the dock and charging.

There's also talk on Reddit that they'll probably give out one to people for free if you pre-order the phone like they did the Pixel 2 and the Home Mini.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/07/28/google-promises-stop-suggesting-face-type-sit-gboard/

quote:

Gboard's text prediction has been suggesting people type "my face and" after the words "sit on,"

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President
Edit:wrong thread

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Ask Me For Warez posted:

I live outside Chicago and am on T-Mobile. I want a good mid-range phone and I really like the idea of the Nokia 7+, will this work for me in America?

The international version doesn't have the LTE bands for T-Mobile US (at least 2/4/12, ideally also 66/71). This matters because T-Mobile is already converting and in many cases HAS converted UMTS/HSPA to LTE, and without those three bands you could be stuck on 2G or - more likely - no service at all. The China version has band 4 (and 5, for where TMUS has a roaming agreement with US Cellular I guess?) but that's not likely to be enough.

There's supposed to be a North American version at some undefined point in the future.

Yeah, LTE allocation in the US is kind of a mess.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jul 29, 2018

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

LastInLine posted:

My wife had to try like three Fitbit models before she could find one that worked reliably with her Pixel.

I know more Microsoft stuff, but the Microsoft Band was actually a really dang good fitness tracker with heart rate, steps, workouts, and even UV, Messaging, etc. And worked great with Windows Phone and Android connectivity wise. Similar to how well Pebble works with it.

Too bad it was made like total garbage to wear out pretty much within a year of usage on the dot. The Band 2 was no better in this regard. Though they were a success otherwise Microsoft just sorta dropped both them, Xbox Fitness, etc. Typical.

Sad how Fitbit Owns everything that was Pebble, and yet, doesn't seem to have even taken a look at the R&D they already did for things like Screen Tech, Battery life, connectivity, etc...

Why do companies do this? Spend $$$ to buy out a company for Patents/Tech, and then completely squander it by either creating something nowhere near as good as the original or just outright killing everything that it was because, ?

(EG, HP and Palm, Microsoft and Nokia, Fitbit and Pebble, Um... What other recent cases of similar situations? Google actually did something with Motorola's stuff at least and Motorola sorta came back better than before in ways.)

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Xiaomi mi band 2 is the best fitness tracker

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Chinese are going to use your data to clone you and harvest those organs dude

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Good

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Also real talk: if you're going to commit a crime like murder, do not wear your fitness tracker.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Blue Train posted:

There's a Mi Band 3 already.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I've been pretty satisfied with my Garmin fitness tracker and have generally read positive things about them. Pairing with my phone was a little rocky in the beginning a new years back but it's been solid ever since one of the early updates.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

ThermoPhysical posted:

https://9to5google.com/2018/07/28/google-app-8-14-apk-insight-teardown/

Looks like the newest Google app has something called a Pixel Stand. Rumors are saying that it'll probably be a Smart Display that activate when your phone is on the dock and charging.

There's also talk on Reddit that they'll probably give out one to people for free if you pre-order the phone like they did the Pixel 2 and the Home Mini.

Oh brilliant: I loved that the Nexus One had a dock available right from the word go, it's a shame that docks never really took off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

LastInLine posted:

That's interesting. Mine worked fine with past phones, a Nexus 5 and 5X and briefly an iPhone 7. I messed around some more, trying to set it up from scratch again. The 2XL sees it immediately, and also kicks off the pairing process, but as soon anything goes beyond that, I'm poo poo out of luck. So detection and communication seems to work, but god knows what they hosed up. As said, standards.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Blue Train posted:

Correct. Until the 3 is released worldwide with the larger OLED screen. Mi Band is excellent and dirt cheap.

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

The first solid lmao outta this thread in quite a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Someone on XDA got their hands on a Pixel 3 XL: