Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Wow. Usyk put on a complete masterclass against Gassiev there, made Gassiev look completely ordinary. Usyk was also fantastic shape, much better than how he looked against Briedis, where I thought he looked heavier and slower.

As for Usyk's potential at heavyweight, I don't like the idea of Usyk moving up. His skill-set of movement/defence/volume punching just would not translate well against the elite super heavyweights of the division. Hopefully he stays at 200 and reigns there. A fight against Andre Ward at 200 would be ideal.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jul 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
usyk's hypothetical success at heavyweight hinges entirely on whether or not he can take the punches. skill-wise, i think he could beat any active heavyweight on points.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
The George Groves-Callum Smith 168 Wbss final is scheduled to placer September 28th in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. I guess they felt like the Saudis were owed one

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Anyone remotely interested in Parker vs Whyte tomorrow?

I expect Parker to win fairly widely on points or to stop a gassed Dillian late, but I want Whyte to do well because I really want to see a Tyson Fury - Whyte bout as the outside the ring aggro between Dillians' Brixton possee and Tysons' traveller mates could be pretty epic.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

biglads posted:

I expect Parker to win fairly widely on points or to stop a gassed Dillian late, but I want Whyte to do well because I really want to see a Tyson Fury - Whyte bout as the outside the ring aggro between Dillians' Brixton possee and Tysons' traveller mates could be pretty epic.

I'm not in the UK so dont get exposed to that side of the marketing (tv adverts and so on) but it seems like Matchroom is intent on making Dillian Whyte a thing and unless he pulls a no mas it seems like hes not going anywhere.

Never been impressed by Parker myself so I'll pick Whyte to get a stoppage. Why not.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

biglads posted:

Casual fan but I think there's alot at stake there. Winner probably gets to the front of the cue for a belt. Loser probably fights for gently caress all going forward

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
So which fight will end up happening first: AJ-Wilder or Mikey Garcia-Errol Spence?

Vvvv edit: Mikey has been making big noise about going after Spence if he beats Robert Easter jr on Saturday. Spence is scheduled to be in LA for the fight to so it seems as if Showtime sees it too. A lot of it has to deal with having to deal with Top Rank if he wants Lomachenko and there appears to be still lots of bad blood between the camps

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Jul 27, 2018

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
I Mikey moving up? I figured he would take the Loma fight to become undisputed at lightweight.

I'm conflicted on the Whyte fight, I want him to win but having this sort of card on ppv is not something to be encouraged.

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
AJ/Wilder is obviously happening in spring or summer 2019 once they get done with their seemingly-dangerous-but-not-really next opponents. Not sure why there's so much talk of one ducking the other.

Monday Bandele fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jul 28, 2018

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I hope Mikey Garcia, a very good fighter at 130-140 pounds, does not fight Errol Spence, the best and hardest hitting current fighter at 147.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Sick 1st round between Takam and Chisora

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Really good fight so far.

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

del boyyyyyy

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

what a finish

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
holy poo poo

e: Takam literally walked into that one

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Good old Delboy. He's been in some good fights over the years.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
gently caress yeah.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
That was such a loving war. What a loving fight.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Big up del boy. What a loving soldier.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
How weird is it that the main event seems like a step down after that insane fight.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Whyte throwing the world's most obvious rabbit punches.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Julio Cruz posted:

Whyte throwing the world's most obvious rabbit punches.

IJL is a shithouse "wefewee"

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Whyte is fighting dirty but I've never seen Parker fight as bad as this. I wouldn't be surprised if he's concussed from that head clash

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
If Parker had been this slow and flat-footed against Joshua he wouldn't have made it through the second.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Peach of a left hook from Whyte

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

fuckkkkkkk this is an intense round

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
Great round, I'm not sure Whyte was actually conscious at the bell.

e: also Bellew should never commentate ever again

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

oh my days

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Another war

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
lol just blatantly clinch the guy to survive the last 10 seconds, why didn't Meldrick Taylor think of that

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I'm glad I was weak and caved in to buy that.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Monday Bandele posted:

lol just blatantly clinch the guy to survive the last 10 seconds, why didn't Meldrick Taylor think of that

I need a gif of Whyte clinching for 20 seconds while the tiny ref tries and fails to separate them.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
I love boxing when it's like this

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Props to Dillian for referring to Eddie Hearn as "fast car"

Monday Bandele
Apr 26, 2008
AJ's resume looking poorer since he started boxing like a lovely Wlad

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I didn’t catch the fight but it sounds like this was the second time that lovely ref work has screwed Parker out of his best opportunities in a fight

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
The reffing didn't help, but Parker looked like absolute poo poo even when he wasn't getting clinched/headlocked.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

Julio Cruz posted:

The reffing didn't help, but Parker looked like absolute poo poo even when he wasn't getting clinched/headlocked.

After getting knocked down by a headbutt yeah.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0MN2iwHHE0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress

Ratios and Tendency posted:

After getting knocked down by a headbutt yeah.

I am at least acutely aware of Ian John Lewis's awfulness but even a "good" referee would have called a for Whyte knockdown there. He just happened to be at a weird angle and it would have been hard to see that the punch missed in real time