Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

The_dude_abides posted:

Action-puzzlers like Blast Corps and Space Station: Silicon Valley were some of the best N64 games, and were unique, creative, and fun. They don't get enough praise even if they were nothing to write home about visually. Blast Corps had a simple premise: You were a generic man that got inside flying and rolling robots, cars that fired rockets, dump trucks, and other vehicles and had to clear the path for an out of control truck holding nuclear material that could blow up the world. Space Station: Silicon Valley had a bunch of robotic animals that you could jump inside as a microchip and had to clear levels by passing objectives and fighting against other robotic animals in various weather and environments. I don't hear them talked about all that much, but they were great games and were early 3D games that made good use of space even though they had simple visuals and premises.

i wonder if u,and ppl like u, if a game were visually splendid, if u would write home about it actually, or if ur full of poo poo just like everybody else

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Stamps cost good money, $$$ friend

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
I don't have time to invest in RPGs. I think I'd like some company to just release some episodic RPGs that are just a main quest, a few minor quests and about 1/2 dozen side quests you can casually play and complete in about 2 hours for 99c each. Then when each new episode comes out and expands the map, time sink and cost a little bit until you're ultimately doing a 30 hour main story campaign..

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Zane posted:

it's ok. but the mining dungeon crawl area is really anti-thematic. there is enough content for maybe a year in game. the spergs who talk about the enormous 10 year cheese operation they've constructed or whatever the gently caress mystify me.

Behavioral entrapment.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

JediTalentAgent posted:

I don't have time to invest in RPGs. I think I'd like some company to just release some episodic RPGs that are just a main quest, a few minor quests and about 1/2 dozen side quests you can casually play and complete in about 2 hours for 99c each. Then when each new episode comes out and expands the map, time sink and cost a little bit until you're ultimately doing a 30 hour main story campaign..

I don't get what the difference would be between this and just having a game with a 30 hour main story campaign that you play at whatever pace you want

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
The weird thing about Stardew Valley is that is was pitched to me as an extremely chill farming simulator when in fact it's an extremely stressful management game where you're constantly under pressure to min/max your daily routine, but set to to calming and placid music in an idyllic village.

Axeman Jim
Nov 21, 2010

The Canadians replied that they would rather ride a moose.
Fallout 4 and Skyrim are fun. Not good, but fun.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

god I loving pray the next person who mentions a bethesda game in this thread is eaten alive by mudcrabs irl

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
RAGE is better than people give it credit for

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Doom 3 is a pretty good horror riff on Half-Life if you mentally free it from being a Doom game and the Bethesda-published BFG Edition fixes the flashlight.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl is one of the best singleplayer FPS games of all time, although it was not upon its release in 2007. Call of Pripyat is not as good, mostly because every map is laid out like a wow quest hub, the only spooky journey in the game (into the tunnels) is extremely on rails and the only lab is tiny and physically laid out so you're never far from the exit. It needs mods to really shine and was pretty much impossible to realize at release due to bugs and lovely pre-2007 computers but once its technical shortcomings are mitigated A-Life makes for probably the best no-rails sandbox ever

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

signalnoise posted:

RAGE whipped rear end and the only disappointment was the final 'boss'. Aside from that "oh that's it?" moment I had a great time the whole way through.

IDONTPOST
Apr 18, 2018

Sleeping Dogs is the best GTA game

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

IDONTPOST posted:

Sleeping Dogs is the best GTA game
Saints Row 2 is the best GTA game if you can forgive the bad PC port

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

signalnoise posted:

I thought all the four people who played it loved it.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
GTA games are the best GTA games.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Rage is okay. The shooting is good. The ending is bad.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Shibawanko posted:

Whenever an NPC in a 3D game holds a boring monologue, I make a point of behaving like an rear end in a top hat around them, bunnyhopping and crouching under their butt for no reason while they stand there serious-faced

I do this exact same thing and if you don’t and take the game cutscenes seriously, just lol

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rage owned. The shooting levels were awesome and the car combat was good. The open world aspect was clunky and the story was bad but I still enjoyed it immensely. It also looked incredible even if it had some texture loading issues.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

I thought all the four people who played it loved it.

Yeah basically

I think the intro to the game really doesn't give the player any sense of what the rest of the game is going to be like, which is a shame. They start you out with boring fedex crap which honestly made me not give a gently caress for a long time. I eventually started it up on a whim and got past the introductory poo poo and turns out it's really fun and the guns are super good and it doesn't take itself as seriously as John Goodman led me to believe.

Rage 2 looks good and I'm glad they have told people up front that it's going to be incredibly stupid

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One of the issues with Rage is that for some dumb reason people were expecting Fallout only with really good graphics and gameplay because Bethesda published it. That and people were really (understandably) mad about the broken PC port. It was enough to kind fo shoot it into obscurity.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

One of the issues with Rage is that for some dumb reason people were expecting Fallout only with really good graphics and gameplay because Bethesda published it. That and people were really (understandably) mad about the broken PC port. It was enough to kind fo shoot it into obscurity.

I described it to a friend as "like fallout except dicking around is the point and it doesn't pretend to be serious" and "like fallout as much more of an actual fps instead of some fps/rpg chimera that wishes for its own death"

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Rage had great shooting, but it was all so samey and there was too much mandatory open world bullshit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the actual levels had a pretty satisfying amount of variety. Maybe a few more enemy types would have been nice. Yeah the open world was empty and samey though. It was almost dumb to even let you get out fo your car cause there was nothing to do but car combat.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

punk rebel ecks posted:

Since the average age is 35 for a game player, I always wonder if at some point games began appealing to adults, or if the kids who grew up playing them just got older and never stopped playing.

The way averages work means games have always appealed to adults.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jeza posted:

The weird thing about Stardew Valley is that is was pitched to me as an extremely chill farming simulator when in fact it's an extremely stressful management game where you're constantly under pressure to min/max your daily routine, but set to to calming and placid music in an idyllic village.

This is only if you have a brokebrain. There is nothing that says you have to maximize productivity or make efficient use of time.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Zone of the Enders 2 is overrated. Like, it's a good yet forgettable game, but people act like it was the best game ever made and I just don't see it.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

Away all Goats posted:

This is only if you have a brokebrain. There is nothing that says you have to maximize productivity or make efficient use of time.

THE GROWING SEASON IS ONLY SO LONG

MY PUMPKINS WON'T BE READY FOR THE FESTIVAL !

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Rage loving sucked. It felt like a drat chore to play

I just wanted to shoot mutants and raiders and poo poo but I had to drive all across the dull desert or whatever and do quests and poo poo? Garbage.

Rage 2 looks more fun

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Jeza posted:

THE GROWING SEASON IS ONLY SO LONG

MY PUMPKINS WON'T BE READY FOR THE FESTIVAL !

There's always next year :angel:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

MGS Peace Walker wasnt that good and had an incredibly boring villain and the worst most tedious boss fights in modern game history

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Ogre Battle 64 justified the existence of the N64

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

Maybe, but what is there to do other than increase productivity. I guess you could idly stare at the screen instead.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

steinrokkan posted:

Maybe, but what is there to do other than increase productivity. I guess you could idly stare at the screen instead.

It's a sandbox game, do whatever you want, including play other games :shrug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Away all Goats posted:

It's a sandbox game, do whatever you want, including play other games :shrug:

So the argument for SV is that you don't have to play it? That sure is an endorsement.

Also it's a sandbox game where the only thing you can do is produce crap. If you are not doing that... you are just standing around? Walking between screens without purpose?

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Good soup! posted:

MGS Peace Walker wasnt that good and had an incredibly boring villain and the worst most tedious boss fights in modern game history

Definitely hated how it started the trend of "You're going to run out of ammo during this fight, so better be sure to bring obligatory ammo resupply paradrops!"

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Good soup! posted:

Ogre Battle 64 justified the existence of the N64

So did other stuff imo

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Survival games suck and there’s not a single good one, might as well manage a spreadsheet

Same with MMOs

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

1redflag posted:

Zone of the Enders 2 is overrated. Like, it's a good yet forgettable game, but people act like it was the best game ever made and I just don't see it.

I can't remember the last time I saw anyone mention Zone Of The Enders 2 in any context.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

I poo poo you not, it's getting a VR remake. Like, why?