Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ekuNNN posted:

Woo yay! There's nothing creepy or terrible about this because it means possibly even more poo poo superhero movies for me to base my personality around!

finally... a family guy kingdom hearts world at last

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
It'll make it easier to guillotine them all if they are in the same board room

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

ekuNNN posted:

Woo yay! There's nothing creepy or terrible about this because it means possibly even more poo poo superhero movies for me to base my personality around!

In case anyone doesn't know this deal does not include Fox News, so it's not like Mickey will soon be co-hosting Fox and Friends or w/e.

It's still weird and bad.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

ekuNNN posted:

2 out of every 5 movies that came out this year were made by a company under the Disney umbrella now.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ate all the Oreos posted:

In case anyone doesn't know this deal does not include Fox News, so it's not like Mickey will soon be co-hosting Fox and Friends or w/e.

It's still weird and bad.

[mickey mouse voice] did you know that 99.8% of "poors" own a refrigerator? sounds to me like they're just lazy!

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

Hollywood is creatively bankrupt and there's no room for original films because something has to rake in half a billion to be considered profitable.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

is pepsi ok posted:

2 out of every 5 movies that came out this year were made by a company under the Disney umbrella now.

I like that the Disney circle is larger than the Netflix circle despite Netflix having a larger market cap, all of this right next to the legend indicating that circle size is indicative of market cap.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Cross post from the 90's memories thread.

Bonzo posted:

I was a co-admin of an X-Files fan site that got more hits than the official Fox site. Wallpapers, WAVs, desktop themes (remember Microsoft Plus?) gifs, etc.

We got a letter from their legal team asking us to shut down and we countered that maybe we could have a go at running their site for them since we were so popular. They then sent a legal notice to our hosting company and that was the end of that.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/WrrrdNrrrdGrrrl/status/891643397009805312

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

And that’s the way we like it

down n out
Sep 16, 2008

Nap Ghost

Flashbacks to word of mouth rc sites in the early internet days, but instead of high potency hallucinogens it’s medication people need. Bundle it up with some dog anti-depressants and you too can live like an animal!

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Tetracube posted:

[mickey mouse voice] did you know that 99.8% of "poors" own a refrigerator? sounds to me like they're just lazy!

There's quite clearly a war on police Tucker. They're America's most embattled minority! *mickey giggle*

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

I googled fish antibiotics, because I know I learned about it in the 90s because my parents were into fish, and also poor (dunno if they were buying fish antibiotics themselves but I know they at least considered it). I found this article as the first result on google for "fish antibiotics".

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/science-nature/here-are-reasons-you-shouldnt-take-fish-antibiotics-180964523/

It almost completely ignores the root issue.

quote:

And while a trip to the doctor can rack up hundreds of dollars for someone who doesn’t have insurance, a bottle of 30 500mg capsules of Moxifish costs just $29.95 from the supplier, Fishceuticals.
The only direct mention of why people are doing this.

quote:

So what if you skip the doctor, take a gamble and choose wrong?
Yes, people are taking fish antibiotics because they don't feel like paying to go to the doctor. The gamble isn't "Should I save a few bucks taking fish antibiotics?" it's "Should I wait and hope this abscess clears up on it's own magically, or buy cheap antibiotics and hope that helps?"

quote:

Unfortunately, fish antibiotics are still well within reach. A quick Google search for fish antibiotics pulls up a range of other sources, including Walmart and Thomas Labs. And many Youtube videos, blogs and websites provide guidance for humans seeking out information on taking fish medications for their own personal use. These often target Doomsday preppers—people who stockpile medical supplies and other necessities in case of a society-ending catastrophe—but reddit and other online forums show that the fad isn’t limited to those preparing for the end of days.
The next paragraph starts with:

quote:

Sure, some people using fish meds may get lucky, says Morgan.
Just completely ignoring who these other people are. Wonder if there was another paragraph in between those going into more detail about why people do this that got cut? If not, that's not just bull poo poo ignoring the elephant in the room, it's also just bad writing.

quote:

In 2002, Army physician Brandon J. Goff wrote a letter to the editor of the New England Journal of Medicine documenting an encounter with an unnamed Army Special Forces soldier who came to him with a sinus infection after self-medicating with fish antibiotics from a pet store. The soldier described this source of antibiotics as “common knowledge among all branches of the American Special Forces community,” according to Goff.
Like, holy poo poo, how do you add something about soldiers having to buy loving fish antibiotics and not address why people we expect to be able and willing to die for our country (especially in 2002 Jesus) have to buy loving fish antibiotics.

At least this is one of those few times when reading the comments is a great idea. Pretty much being torn apart as a badly researched (or straight out lying) propaganda piece.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
E:double post

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
What happens if I put the fish pills in my rear end

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sedisp posted:

There's quite clearly a war on police Tucker. They're America's most embattled minority! *mickey giggle*

omnipresent narrator: yes donald. if you pay make the rich pay less taxes the wealth will trickle down.
donald: w-w-w-w-waht!?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
So do the fish pills work or what?

Edgar
Sep 9, 2005

Oh my heck!
Oh heavens!
Oh my lord!
OH Sweet meats!
Wedge Regret
If you go to a farmer/rancher suppliers. You can get meds used for livestock that are the same used by humans.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

PostNouveau posted:

They can. The dosage isnt intended for humans but at this point its use is so prevalent you can probably find exact conversions for how much you should take

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

PostNouveau posted:

Sometimes. "An infection" could be bacteria, a virus, a fungus, or a parasite. Who knows? What's part of why you should see a doctor about those things. Doctors unfortunately are expensive. Fish antibiotics are not. Where I'm originally from people would often go to a farm supply store to get penicillin because it was basically the same thing as what you'd give to people only it was labelled "for animals" and like 5% of the price.

That's attractive because it means you can try a few dollars of "horse penicillin" for a few dollars first instead of paying $500 to see your doctor and get an overpriced script.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Which will kill more people? Death from a lack of healthcare or an over reliance on anti biotics without pharmaceuticals researching new ones because it isn’t as profitable as they want? Place your bets now

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Sometimes. "An infection" could be bacteria, a virus, a fungus, or a parasite. Who knows? What's part of why you should see a doctor about those things. Doctors unfortunately are expensive. Fish antibiotics are not. Where I'm originally from people would often go to a farm supply store to get penicillin because it was basically the same thing as what you'd give to people only it was labelled "for animals" and like 5% of the price.

That's attractive because it means you can try a few dollars of "horse penicillin" for a few dollars first instead of paying $500 to see your doctor and get an overpriced script.

Pretty much this. Antibiotics won’t do anything against a viral infection, and people should be incentivized to go to a doctor since they can usually tell.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Scary! posted:

Which will kill more people? Death from a lack of healthcare or an over reliance on anti biotics without pharmaceuticals researching new ones because it isn’t as profitable as they want? Place your bets now

The antibiotics thing is already here and somehow its not people in the US abusing fish pills fault.

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Barudak posted:

The antibiotics thing is already here and somehow its not people in the US abusing fish pills fault.

Doctors used to hand them out a lot, but there’s been a lot of work towards using them far more sparingly

This episode of frontline and fits in perfectly with this thread

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/trouble-with-antibiotics/

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
give me the horse drugs

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

down n out posted:

Flashbacks to word of mouth rc sites in the early internet days, but instead of high potency hallucinogens it’s medication people need. Bundle it up with some dog anti-depressants and you too can live like an animal!

if you haven't had to take antibiotics or other meds intended for your pets, i don't know what to tell you

without insurance, it's How Things Are

just ignore all the huge warnings plastered on the bottle "NOT FOR HUMAN CONSUMPTION" - it is the same thing. check the dose.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
All companies will be gobbled up by the big ones eventually

Why allow them to do their thing when you can just buy them and force them to do your thing?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Araenna posted:

Unfortunately, fish antibiotics are still well within reach

That is unfortunate, clearly we should ban them so people have to get antibiotics off the darknet :thumbsup:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

My fiancees sister just sat here and told us working for the state sucks because she's guaranteed raised but can't haggle for how much they are.

Also that she gets a cost of living raises which is "literally worthless and you don't actually see the difference"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I get cost of living increases but they are based on an average income and i am slightly below that, so its really just a way of telling me to gently caress myself

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Len posted:

My fiancees sister just sat here and told us working for the state sucks because she's guaranteed raised but can't haggle for how much they are.

Also that she gets a cost of living raises which is "literally worthless and you don't actually see the difference"

loving get another job and let someone who can appreciate it take the few available state jobs then, gently caress you :argh:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

ate all the Oreos posted:

loving get another job and let someone who can appreciate it take the few available state jobs then, gently caress you :argh:

She plans to but first she wants to work this job long enough to have her student loans go away and then she's going to "go to the private sector where the real money is"

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Araenna posted:

Like, holy poo poo, how do you add something about soldiers having to buy loving fish antibiotics and not address why people we expect to be able and willing to die for our country (especially in 2002 Jesus) have to buy loving fish antibiotics.

That seemed like an odd bit in the article. I was in the military at that time, and we definitely all received medication for free, as did our dependents. Special Force folks would probably have no problem getting in to see the doctor either, I imagine their optempo allowed them to bump the list quite easily. The free medical was one of the best benefits of being in the military. In fact many military members are "trapped" in the military because they have a spouse or child with a costly or debilitating illness. It was even worse at that time because of pre-existing condition clauses, a lot of people got trapped doing a job they despise.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Len posted:

She plans to but first she wants to work this job long enough to have her student loans go away and then she's going to "go to the private sector where the real money is"

She seems p dumb tbh

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Len posted:

You could get a federal job where in some cases you get a COS increase below average and no other increases at all.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Sedisp posted:

She seems p dumb tbh

She did goat yoga this morning. She is p dumb

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Len posted:

My motivation to give even the slightest poo poo about my job died when I realized that the best annual raise I can possibly get didn't even keep up with inflation.

At this point I mostly just show up.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
When I think of what things will be like in 10.20.30 or more years time with capitalism I get very uncomfortable feelings.

poopnanners
May 3, 2016

hey guys lets party

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

When I think of what things will be like in 10.20.30 or more years time with capitalism I get very uncomfortable feelings.

this is normal, comrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

poopnanners posted:

this is normal, comrade

It cannot be stopped. We're doomed to a dystopia worse than all those movie and video game dystopias like half life.
Except the matrix... thats different.
Where do I draw the line as to what stage i decide to end it