Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I think it increases your number of settlers which is when the settlements get the most dynamic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
https://youtu.be/mdpK1SNHBFo

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Cream-of-Plenty is the best poster itt

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Autism Sneaks posted:

He's a true hero.

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Autism Sneaks posted:

Monster Brew was the best part of Fallout 4. :hai:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Autism Sneaks posted:

he's the main draw card for me, yeah

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Berke Negri posted:

speaking of crits I like using this mod in all my playthroughs https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/12653/ which allows crits even when not using vats (cause I hate vats)

goes well with party girl so I'm just drunk off my rear end constantly scoring crits left and right (the luck bonus from rank 3 stacks with each type of booze you consume so I always keep a minibar with me wherever I go)
The one I always use is realistic headshots. I want to tweak it so it only covers single shot weapons, but it just doesn't feel right in the base game that I can shoot a human character in the back of the head and just mildly annoy them into combat.

The Zombie Guy posted:

So I took back the fort from the mirelurks. Finding a Flamer and Rocket Launcher laying around were a pretty big hint that a big beastie would make an appearance.
Now that I've reclaimed the base, and got the transmission tower going again, I'm curious what the unlocked things are that were mentioned in the above quoted post.
It's a neat spot, but I think I'll stick to the drive in as my main Home Base.
Feels silly using abbreviations to avoid spoiling a game that's been out for so long, but I still don't want to ruin it for a new player. You don't have to use The Castle as a main base, but make sure to come back and take the mission given to you by the old-timer Minuteman soldier R.S. so you can unlock its full potential and the very tactically useful things that the O.G. mission unlocks. You'll know what those initials stand for when you get to them. Bring some explosives or pulse grenades on O.G. for best results.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Regarding OG: I'm still a little salty that I had to kill Sarge even though I had the perks to hack him and get by peacefully. RIP Sarge

guns for tits
Dec 25, 2014

Did fallout 2 have the first instance of gay marriage in video games?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Does anyone know of a mod that replaces most spawns with robots or synths? I found one that does it but for zombies. I kind of would like to recreate the Terminator robot wars.

This is for fallout 4. Also traversing Nexus mods is terrible.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

I saw a trailer for Fallout:Miami and thought we might be in for another New Vegas.

Please don't make trailers for mods.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Is there a good site or app to have alongside Fallout 4 to check for things like, hey, there's a Bobble head here, you should probably get that?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

There's a mod called something like fallout complete, that adds quests for showing map markers and whether or not you got magazines and bobbleheads.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Seedge posted:

Is there a good site or app to have alongside Fallout 4 to check for things like, hey, there's a Bobble head here, you should probably get that?

https://fallout.gamepedia.com/Fallout_Wiki

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Is the Pip Boy phone app useful in any way when playing?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

gently caress NUKA WORLD.

This poo poo is basically Groundhog Day at this point. I keep dying to stupid poo poo and this last one, I killed all of the raiders just to close that poo poo out and got stuck in glitched out power armor when I got back to the Commonwealth.

I loving hate it here. If Hell had a theme park it would be a more pleasant experience than this.

On the other hand, I think I'm supposed to hate Nuka World, so touche...
Nuka World owns, actually

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Nuka World owns, actually

I just finished Nuka World last night, got all the perks you can, got the power armors, did the Amoral Combat quests to get the special Gatling Laser, and later this week will head back in so I can kill every raider.

Seedge posted:

I use https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/4380 which has bobblehead/magazine/legendary tracking (adds a little quest marker when you're nearby)
It also does a ton of other stuff but it's fully customizable in-game and you can turn off whatever feels cheaty to you.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
All in all it is a great DLC, the art and theme are especially on point, but there is some epicly dumb poo poo that was pissing me off.

1. The plethora of "Collect them all!" quests is bad and unfun. The fact that I could use Robotics Expert to skip the dumb fetch quests in Dry Gulch was a relief.

2. The quest-locked door on the power plant that inexplicably unlocks after you murder all of the raiders.

3. Invulnerable rollercars in the kiddie kingdom instantly pancaking power armor that can shrug off direct strikes from mini nukes is just pants-on-head stupid.

4. This isn't necessarily Nuka World specific but the feral ghouls were knocking out my legs way too fast and barely scratching any other part of my power armor so I was having to limp back overencumbered to repair.

I think I'll have more fun when I come back with a character who isn't General of the Minuteman, Protector of the Commonwealth, and Mr. Goody Two Shoes.

Cyberpunkey Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jul 30, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

i did nuka world with a good character as someone basically in over in over their head after the gauntlet and is biding my time going along with the flow until the time was right to take out the gangs and free the slaves and it worked pretty good cause you can sass and question the raiders while still putting up a front of being the "overboss" whittling down the gangs from 3 to 2 by playing them off each other

up until the kind of break point when they ask you to go invade the commonwealth. you don't really have a conversation option with anyone like actually, now you've all gone too far and i'm flipping i basically had my last affinity conversation with gage atop fizzy mountain top, pulled my gun on him and tosssed his body off the mountain and proceeded to have like an hour long gun fight from the balcony as everyone in the park went aggro and tried to take me out

you then turn on the power plant after slaughtering like 300 people but there isn't really any catharsis at the end

there's a lot of good individual quest lines to be had (safari adventure, the hubologists, kiddie adventure as you kind of slowly piece together how the park was before an army of raiders took over the place) which you can do fully as either a good guy or an rear end in a top hat but there just isn't really a satisfying ending.

also feel it was a mistake making the DLC so "end game" with a recommended level of 30 to start (and all the annoying perk requirements for guns) would have been better for characters to have the option to go breaking bad early on imo

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I think once I've tapped out this playthrough, I'm going to run a Start Me Up raider character through Nuka World and just ravage the Commonwealth. I would like to see how the whole raider settlement system works compared to standard.

It was p much :cawg: walking through the Gauntlet with Lv 3 Sneak and none of the traps ever going off.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

Berke Negri posted:

up until the kind of break point when they ask you to go invade the commonwealth.

I cheated: https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/18121/

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

If you don’t want to or can’t do this, the alternative is choosing to take settlements by force and looking for settlements you know don’t have normal settlers on it. If you choose to take settlements by talking them out of it you’ll only ever be offered established settlements. You still need to shake down one established settlement once to do the quest but that feels way better than kicking them off their land

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

The Zombie Guy posted:

It was a fun gimmick when the game first launched but I didn't use it much because it wrecked my battery. I don't think it is much use these days.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

GWBBQ posted:

Feels silly using abbreviations to avoid spoiling a game that's been out for so long, but I still don't want to ruin it for a new player. You don't have to use The Castle as a main base, but make sure to come back and take the mission given to you by the old-timer Minuteman soldier R.S. so you can unlock its full potential and the very tactically useful things that the O.G. mission unlocks. You'll know what those initials stand for when you get to them. Bring some explosives or pulse grenades on O.G. for best results.

If you're tuned into Another Settlement Needs Your Help Radio, it will break in kind of amusingly to announce that O.G. is ready. I wish they'd done more with that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

NofrikinfuN posted:

I saw a trailer for Fallout:Miami and thought we might be in for another New Vegas.

Please don't make trailers for mods.
It looks really well done, I'll definitely give it a try.

The Zombie Guy posted:

I have an old iPad that I keep plugged into a charger and set on a stand by my monitor, it's convenient to have the map up while playing and to get ready to pop a bunch of chems without pausing. My Internet connection is wired so I had to add a wireless adapter to get it working, but I had old ones around so it wasn't a problem.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

FO4 progress:

I heard a radio distress call from a caravan under attack by robots, so I went to investigate. I arrived too late to save the meatbags, but I made a new robot friend! Ada has been a good sidekick so far, and I like that I can customize her various limbs for combat or stealth or mobility.

I completed the O.G. quest at the castle. Turns out I had already taken care of part of the quest already. When I first took the castle, I went around scrapping furniture and boxes, and I realized that I could clear out that big rubble pile. So I went and explored, and I got to meet Sarge. He killed me a few times, before I was able to cheese him by sniping through a gap in some collapsed beams.

For now, I just responded to a call from the Brotherhood of Steel, needing help at the police station.

(I still haven't bothered to look for my missing kid yet)

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

The Zombie Guy posted:

You're doing fine :allears:

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress:

I heard a radio distress call from a caravan under attack by robots, so I went to investigate. I arrived too late to save the meatbags, but I made a new robot friend! Ada has been a good sidekick so far, and I like that I can customize her various limbs for combat or stealth or mobility.

I completed the O.G. quest at the castle. Turns out I had already taken care of part of the quest already. When I first took the castle, I went around scrapping furniture and boxes, and I realized that I could clear out that big rubble pile. So I went and explored, and I got to meet Sarge. He killed me a few times, before I was able to cheese him by sniping through a gap in some collapsed beams.

For now, I just responded to a call from the Brotherhood of Steel, needing help at the police station.

You made it to the castle even before getting to the Police Station? holy cow.

Fallout is one of those games I'd spend hours watching others play, just because i find amusing how differently people play it and/or where they go. I'm lvl 45 in my current playthrough and I haven't gone anywhere near the Castle or that side of the map.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

FO4 progress:

Yeah Ada is a pretty bitching companion. Never complains, just lets you do you. Then it's like hey Ada let's put some gattling lasers and some treads on you and she's just like "lol, k." Did you do the whole Mechanist quest? Do the whole thing. Trust me.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I haven't completed the quest yet. I've gotten as far as installing the tracker thing on Ada. Took a break from that quest to see what the BoS need help with so badly.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Dalael posted:

You made it to the castle even before getting to the Police Station? holy cow.

Fallout is one of those games I'd spend hours watching others play, just because i find amusing how differently people play it and/or where they go. I'm lvl 45 in my current playthrough and I haven't gone anywhere near the Castle or that side of the map.

I completely skipped the police station on my last survival playthrough. I was getting hurt too much by ghouls at such a low level so I went "gently caress that" and ran to Diamond City. That was the run where I stopped after meeting Virgil. Still never saved the Brotherhood at the police station.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
My biggest disappointment with automation is that there wasn't some kind of robot tournament fighting league to join.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Couple more questions:

After I've read a book or magazine and gotten the benefit from it, I can just sell it, right?

Any benefits to giving Ada lasers on both hands, or is it best to stick with one laser and one melee arm?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Zombie Guy posted:

Couple more questions:

After I've read a book or magazine and gotten the benefit from it, I can just sell it, right?

Any benefits to giving Ada lasers on both hands, or is it best to stick with one laser and one melee arm?

I like sniper laser and gatling laser myself.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

The Zombie Guy posted:

Couple more questions:

I think the general consensus was that you should give them a weapon for ranged targets and one for closer range, but I always enjoyed loading them up with A pair of heavy flamers so they could just blanket everything in fire.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

TBH I think it probably depends a fair bit on what head you put on, as they affect engagement behaviour. They can end up trying to run up and punch things with their laser arm if you aren't careful, or being woefully inaccurate like Ada starts off.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
That's definitely true; pay close attention to what engagement range the head lists.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Personally I would say load them up with rapid fire weaponry and put the best long range high accuracy head on you can get, but you might get some use out of the melee options too, I think I'd definitely go for one or the other though.

Though as I'm used to Horizon which rebalances companions quite a bit, I couldn't tell you how the effectiveness changes in the base game.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

im boring and just always make ada the bestest assaultron she can be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Codsworth and Curie are aldo solid choice for alteration. They lose the ability to wear hats, but in exchange become superbly lethal while also being their normal unflappable or naive selves, which is an amusing contrast.