Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

wilderthanmild posted:

My favorite part is that for a million dollar condo they couldn't be bothered to design the floor plan around having the deal with that support beam somehow.

It was a refit. They were upgrading the building so had to make it meet new quake standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you feel a need to simulate John Smith's posting when he hasn't been active or something?

Sending your kids to atrocious public schools is a bad thing though

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

wilderthanmild posted:

It's not. Unless there is some kind of market were Uber is just paying taxi companies and then charging the customer less than they pay.

edit: Uber's model is more about not paying much to their drivers and skirting various taxi laws which allow them to undercut competition. That and ease of use via the app.

Uber absolutely does subsidize their fares with VC money. That's why they're bleeding billions of dollars per year.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

brugroffil posted:

This is what Uber is doing too right

Well Uber saves a lot of money by tricking people into letting them use their cars and working for a pittance, but otherwise yeah, they're still losing money at the rates they charge.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

wilderthanmild posted:

My favorite part is that for a million dollar condo they couldn't be bothered to design the floor plan around having the deal with that support beam somehow.

“Eh, gently caress it, some idiot will buy it anyway”

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

wilderthanmild posted:

It's not. Unless there is some kind of market were Uber is just paying taxi companies and then charging the customer less than they pay.

edit: Uber's model is more about not paying much to their drivers and skirting various taxi laws which allow them to undercut competition. That and ease of use via the app.

I thought they were essentially subsidizing ride costs with VC money

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Hoodwinker posted:

Tbh, I have NO CLUE how I'm suppose to make money

waaaah waaaaaah I'm not making $100k out of college and I probably suck at budgeting waaaaaaaaaaah

Lol imagine being mad that $50k/year is probably the most poor you’ll be for the rest of your working life.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

boop the snoot posted:

Lol imagine being mad that $50k/year is probably the most poor you’ll be for the rest of your working life.

It's not difficult to double your salary in 5 years in that industry either

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N

Cacafuego posted:

“Eh, gently caress it, some idiot will buy it anyway”

https://twitter.com/willsmith/status/1022525288792641540

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

The MoviePass type business models always remind me of the final joke in the old "Change Bank" sketch from SNL.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Vox Nihili posted:

Do you feel a need to simulate John Smith's posting when he hasn't been active or something?
Oh, and before I forget again. Stop inviting my opinions, and I wouldn't respond as often. For the majority of you who oppose me, fair enough. But don't solicit my thoughts (ironically, angrily or otherwise) and then act all pissy when I actually do reply. That is being rather hypocritical.

My number of unsolicited responses has been extremely low nowadays in this thread. And no, Vox Nihili, don't respond to this post of mine. Don't want to get "baited" by John Smith again, after all.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jul 28, 2018

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
(A very large entertainment company) tried to sell me some user data campaign using data very similar to moviepass once. But it was so expensive that it was impossible to make ROI positive. They really thought that they had some sort of gold mine on their hands. As if one couldn’t target billion dollar franchise fans without this sort of information. The case studies they all gave were basically people who bought super expensive movie replica items which I’m pretty sure you could still nab far cheaper through other means.

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

howdoesishotweb posted:

Things, and hiccups.. like bankruptcy

The "Companies that are circling the drain" thread said they just borrowed another 5 million. So, they're fine now. Until next week.

CheesyDog posted:

MoviePass was good with money because every time I saw a movie I was taking money directly from a venture capitalist

If you want to get real direct there are instructions on how to "liberate" those "dockless bike share bikes" that the Chinese are dumping on our streets. Or, you could light one of those electric scooters on fire. Or just look at the instagram from the comfort of your home: https://www.instagram.com/birdgraveyard/?hl=en

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bk6ibnnFiiP/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

MisterOblivious fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 28, 2018

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Krispy Wafer posted:

Thatsa some earnings per share.

Should that stock be valued at negative $60k?

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

John Smith posted:

Oh, and before I forget again. Stop inviting my opinions, and I wouldn't respond as often.

:eng101: Literally nobody has ever invited your opinions

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.

Phanatic posted:

It was a refit. They were upgrading the building so had to make it meet new quake standards.

The kitchen barely extends beyond the support beam. Why not just make the kitchen a little smaller and enclose the beam in a wall? I know open floor plans are hot now, but there's no loving point in having an open floor plan if you have a huge beam taking up useable space.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Trustworthy posted:

Sure, they have. Don't be stupid.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

MisterOblivious posted:

The "Companies that are circling the drain" thread said they just borrowed another 5 million. So, they're fine now. Until next week.

Link to this thread?

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Ebola Roulette posted:

The kitchen barely extends beyond the support beam. Why not just make the kitchen a little smaller and enclose the beam in a wall? I know open floor plans are hot now, but there's no loving point in having an open floor plan if you have a huge beam taking up useable space.

I can't find it now, but there are other units in the same building for sale. One of them built an peninsula around the beam that looks pretty cool.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Sirotan posted:

Link to this thread?

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762804&pagenumber=256&perpage=40

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

brugroffil posted:

I can't find it now, but there are other units in the same building for sale. One of them built an peninsula around the beam that looks pretty cool.

It’s in the twitter post that someone linked earlier.

SiGmA_X
May 3, 2004
SiGmA_X
I find the hellbeam to be a Feature [of the SF RE market].

Cacafuego posted:

It’s in the twitter post that someone linked earlier.
https://twitter.com/waxpancake/status/1022529703377231873

I've never seen a "2BR" that only had one bedroom, does anyone else find that odd? I would be calling it a 2 bathroom studio.

Also: https://old.reddit.com/r/architecture/comments/72g30r/how_not_to_design_around_structure/

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Any room can be a bedroom if you put a bed in it!

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
I love how the only way into the apartment through the kitchen past the hellbeam. Your guests will really appreciate the seven figures you dropped on your pad as they're tripping over a large uneven I beam placed awkwardly through the main entrance. "I love the open concept living room" you say as your guest is hauled away to the hospital with a broken foot.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

boop the snoot posted:

You also need a closet for it to be a real bedroom.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GamingHyena posted:

I love how the only way into the apartment through the kitchen past the hellbeam. Your guests will really appreciate the seven figures you dropped on your pad as they're tripping over a large uneven I beam placed awkwardly through the main entrance. "I love the open concept living room" you say as your guest is hauled away to the hospital with a broken foot.

It would probably cost 2 million without the beam.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Elephanthead posted:

You also need a closet for it to be a real bedroom.

i sleep on a lawn chair cuz i wanna and i toss and turn on a real bed

Rivensteel
Mar 30, 2010
Has anyone investigated the residents at that address? 1488 sure is an auspicious street number for overly expensive condos to launder Nazi gold.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

boop the snoot posted:

This bedroom has a oven in it!

This bedroom is in someone else's house!

"Sir, your house has one of my bedrooms. Are you aware?!"

olylifter
Sep 13, 2007

I'm bad with money and you have an avatar!

BigDave posted:

Don't decorate it

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

BigDave posted:

its a portable lawn chair
so yes, this bathroom is also my bedroom

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
This bedroom is ceiling-free! It's a real throwback, perfect for those rustic types.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I’ve seen a lot of 1BR with a “study”. Calling it a 2BR when it doesn’t actually have two seems wrong though.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

smackfu posted:

I’ve seen a lot of 1BR with a “study”. Calling it a 2BR when it doesn’t actually have two seems wrong though.

A "study" just seems like what you'd call a bedroom when you can't legally call it a bedroom, due to its lack of a window (or exterior door).

blackmet
Aug 5, 2006

I believe there is a universal Truth to the process of doing things right (Not that I have any idea what that actually means).

smackfu posted:

We had a 1 bedroom + "den" apartment. The den had an ok sized closet, French doors, and a built in desk with cabinets.

I think the French doors and desk turned it into a den. It was also kind of small, maybe just a few too few square feet to call it a bedroom by code. A lot of people who lived there used it as a nursery or small child bedroom, but I could see it being uncomfortable for a teenager.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Trustworthy posted:

:siren: Please re-read his custom title :siren:

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

smackfu posted:

Yeah, the right way seems to be to call that a 1+1 and that seems to be the trend in Ontario. It would sure be nice if realtor.ca didn't include 1+1 condos in the "2BR" search results though.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Weatherman posted:

:siren: Please re-read his custom title :siren:
Indeed, follow his wise counsel and keep your (factually incorrect) comments to yourself. :)

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
https://twitter.com/ArashHamzehlou/status/1023283735503011841

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enchanted Hat
Aug 18, 2013

Defeated in Diplomacy under suspicious circumstances
Not even shares, they went all-in on options.

"But a celebrity on twitter told me to!"