Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
"Shhh Dune" a horror themed survival crafting game.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Grapplejack posted:

Part of me wonders if team silent hates sh2 because it poisoned the discourse around the series

Everything that came after it was compared to it and found wanting, even if it played better or did interesting things with the premise.

I really hate that myself. Every single game that tried to be its own thing or move on and it "wasn't a true silent hill". After a while you begin to wonder what the point of having a franchise is if you can't even do anything with it any more.

There's still the question of "what is the silent hill series even about" that will never get resolved, too. Is it an anthology series about the town? A paranormal thriller about a cult? A twilight zone-esque area where people are confronted with their worst elements? All of the above? None?

As sad as I am that PT will not be made, hopefully psychological horror will be able to move on from the ps2 era. Though... probably not.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I think all Silent Hill games range from average to good but I'd have liked the much maligned Homecoming more had they made it about post-war PTSD instead of Alex being delusional and having been hospitalised after killing his kid brother. Also holy poo poo were all the endings atrocious.

Around Downpour's announcement/release I remember people thinking the game would focus more on prison culture and the twist being related to prison rape, but I can't wrap my head about how that would work without sounding like a Chuck Tingle novel.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Pounded in the Butt by the Pyramid Fuckboi in the Sex Demons Town

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

GUI posted:

Pounded in the Butt by the Pyramid Fuckboi in the Sex Demons Town

That's a fanfic title somewhere

I didnt know Claire was as nihilistic as Heather Mason

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

That is really why I liked Shattered Memories as much as I did. Well, the other being I dug the aspect of just loving around exploring creepy poo poo with your flashlight, everyone else seemed to poo poo on that (I played it on the Wii and thought it one of the best uses of the Wiimote). As far as plot goes I just thought it was pretty neat how this all ends up being Heather's twisted memory of what she thought her father should be, interspersed with what her mother probably was, some jailbait Harry knocked up. It was different anyway from the usual stuff.

Also the best use of the UFO ending ever. "I liked this story better when it involved demons and a cult."

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

GUI posted:

I think all Silent Hill games range from average to good but I'd have liked the much maligned Homecoming more had they made it about post-war PTSD instead of Alex being delusional and having been hospitalised after killing his kid brother. Also holy poo poo were all the endings atrocious.

Around Downpour's announcement/release I remember people thinking the game would focus more on prison culture and the twist being related to prison rape, but I can't wrap my head about how that would work without sounding like a Chuck Tingle novel.

I always felt bad for Homecoming. It seemed like everyone hated it from the second it was announced, although its release was in fact god awful. I agree with the PTSD thing. I also would have liked to have the emphasis on combat tie in with the story. Like, the combat is fun and engaging and you get more powerful but it also changes you and has a tendency to pull you into the other world because you're starting to enjoy it a little too much. Sadly the combat was... troublesome. To say the least.

I've always hated the notion that any kind of combat takes away from horror, and I get tired of the bog-standard use of combat in horror games like Silent Hill 1 - 4 and RE 1 - 3. I brought this up a million years ago but I really would love to see a game that features combat but remembers that, oh yeah, fighting is really loving scary actually.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I felt like Rule of Rose tried to do that with the way Jennifer can't really do much except impotently flail with whatever weapon she has on hand. But in practice it just ends up being annoying, since you need to deal with all the monsters in your way somehow.

Or run from them like in Shattered Memories, but that has its own problems.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Quicksilver6 posted:

I've always hated the notion that any kind of combat takes away from horror, and I get tired of the bog-standard use of combat in horror games like Silent Hill 1 - 4 and RE 1 - 3. I brought this up a million years ago but I really would love to see a game that features combat but remembers that, oh yeah, fighting is really loving scary actually.

I still think the first Condemned got closer to this than anything else.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Too Shy Guy posted:

I still think the first Condemned got closer to this than anything else.

Yeah, Condemned 1 actually made the combat exciting and visceral but loving weird and scary. You never really got a good sense of how close someone was to dropping and the way enemies fought was really erratic, but with enough of a pattern that you could still brawl with them.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

is into the woods any good

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Siren kind of did the same thing now that I think of it, where theoretically you *could* go fight the monsters, but odds were better they would just kick your rear end. And there was no permanently putting them down even if you did, they'd get back up.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I've got a big 'ol design fanfiction rattling around in my brain for a silent hill game, gonna crack open my skull and spill it all over this thread one of these days.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

DeathChicken posted:

Siren kind of did the same thing now that I think of it, where theoretically you *could* go fight the monsters, but odds were better they would just kick your rear end. And there was no permanently putting them down even if you did, they'd get back up.

Sadly that fell apart a bit in the sequel. Far too many of Forbidden Siren 2's levels decayed into "find shibito with the japanese hand saw, kill them and steal it, congrats now you are a combat monster" . People complained about the game having tons of guns but IMO those were way less of an issue.

Many I really wish more Horror games(actually games in general) did the one story told through multiple characters thing Siren did. For horror especially it would really help with the main character killing tons of demons/monsters/ghosts since it's spread out across more people you can still keep the mood of someone way out of their depth.

I'm not opposed to doing horror without combat but far too many developers think that no combat must mean helpless, so there is no way to deal with enemies. Let me throw down shelves in their path as I run from them or something(didn't Silent Hill Downpour have something like that in it's otherworld sections?) because otherwise it's going to turn out like some SOMA where I started suiciding into enemies because it moved them out of the way without me having to sit around and wait for 10 min.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Hel posted:

I'm not opposed to doing horror without combat but far too many developers think that no combat must mean helpless, so there is no way to deal with enemies. Let me throw down shelves in their path as I run from them or something(didn't Silent Hill Downpour have something like that in it's otherworld sections?) because otherwise it's going to turn out like some SOMA where I started suiciding into enemies because it moved them out of the way without me having to sit around and wait for 10 min.

Silent Hill Shattered Memories! You were helpless, but there was always a way out.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Downpour also had running away sections where you could qte stuff to slow whatever was chasing you down, alongside its atrociously bad combat.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Yeah, I wanted to like Downpour, but that combat was...I get what they were going for, the whole "The monsters should be fought as a last resort, try running instead" thing. But then they throw so many of those goddamn things that scream and stunlock you, so you can't run either

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Nocturne is a technical marvel. I was going to quit because of the awful controls but I am glad I at least got a little bit into the first chapter. Shame Bloodrayne runs like awful choppy poo poo. It's unplayable.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
i was in my sad hole of watching theory videos for video games and then i saw this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNvufGfQRI&t

the dude basically talks about how indie horror games/market isnt about horror anymore really. its just about creating "mysteries" and lore stuff so it creates communities.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i was in my sad hole of watching theory videos for video games and then i saw this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxNvufGfQRI&t

the dude basically talks about how indie horror games/market isnt about horror anymore really. its just about creating "mysteries" and lore stuff so it creates communities.

it's an interesting (and most likely accurate) theory but he's literally perpetuating all this by making dozens of "theory" videos on his channel

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I feel like that guy has no clue what he's talking about because horror as a genre has always been based around a few making something iterative and then multiple others making derivatives and this is just the most recent trend. I mean, it's not even just a horror thing, but I feel like it's easiest to see with horror because you can look back and see those iconic horror titles and the ripples created by them until the next big horror hit drops and makes its own ripples.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I feel like that guy has no clue what he's talking about because horror as a genre has always been based around a few making something iterative and then multiple others making derivatives and this is just the most recent trend. I mean, it's not even just a horror thing, but I feel like it's easiest to see with horror because you can look back and see those iconic horror titles and the ripples created by them until the next big horror hit drops and makes its own ripples.

Streamers have certainly created a market driven by viewer interactivity. It is natural for horror properties to build up a mythology around them, partly because they're about mysteries and partly because they're so cheap to produce. Universal monster movies were basically the MCU of their day and following the plot of Halloween goes from a crazed slasher to pagan rituals and demonic presences.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot
Tried playing Observer yesterday (got it for free with Twitch Prime). What utter loving poo poo. Gave up after a couple of hours and uninstalled.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

a bitchin jetski posted:

Tried playing Observer yesterday (got it for free with Twitch Prime). What utter loving poo poo. Gave up after a couple of hours and uninstalled.

Oh...okay. Thanks for letting us know, I guess? But if you're going to publicly take a poo poo on a game, you might want to at least tell people why you think it's poo poo. Otherwise you're doing the equivalent of cutting a wet fart and then leaving the room.

Hel posted:

Absolutely. I think Alien: Isolation did this pretty well because even after you found a pistol, a shotgun, a flamethrower, and some homemade explosives, you were still considerably vulnerable. You might be able to consistently dispatch a Working Joe...but the mechanics still encouraged you to hide, run (or panic) because you could only carry so much ammo, take so much damage, and make so much noise before worse things made an appearance. But it felt good to have weapons and the idea of options (beyond helplessness), even though hiding was almost always the superior option, and the vulnerability helped maintain tension that weapons might otherwise eliminate.

That was a common complaint against Outlast 2: Injured or no, it doesn't make a lot of sense why the player can't cave a scrawny, 115 lb hillbilly's head in with a pipe or a rock.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Nothing has yet to top the visceral, thrilling combat of Condemned. Condemned was a back alley brawl where the other guy can hit just as hard as you and you gotta stick and move or you will be hosed up. I should reinstall. Does it work on Windows 10?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Untrustable posted:

Nothing has yet to top the visceral, thrilling combat of Condemned. Condemned was a back alley brawl where the other guy can hit just as hard as you and you gotta stick and move or you will be hosed up. I should reinstall. Does it work on Windows 10?

Yeah it should work.

a bitchin jetski
Jun 20, 2018

by SA Support Robot

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Oh...okay. Thanks for letting us know, I guess? But if you're going to publicly take a poo poo on a game, you might want to at least tell people why you think it's poo poo. Otherwise you're doing the equivalent of cutting a wet fart and then leaving the room.

Fair enough.

-lovely instafail stealth sections
-Terrible voice acting
-The cyber-punkish visual effects in the real world were more annoying and distracting than anything else
-Awful "scan the room until you find a keypad code" puzzles that were repeated multiple times
-lovely LOUD NOISES! jumpscares
-The brain-hacking sequences became almost comical because they were just a bunch of visual effects puked directly into your face until they didn't mean a goddamn thing anymore

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

a bitchin jetski posted:

Fair enough.

-lovely instafail stealth sections
-Terrible voice acting
-The cyber-punkish visual effects in the real world were more annoying and distracting than anything else
-Awful "scan the room until you find a keypad code" puzzles that were repeated multiple times
-lovely LOUD NOISES! jumpscares
-The brain-hacking sequences became almost comical because they were just a bunch of visual effects puked directly into your face until they didn't mean a goddamn thing anymore

Honestly, one of the things that bugged me the most about the game was how it almost entirely took place in a single apartment complex and, as a result, most of the plot had to somehow fit within the confines of that building. To me, that meant that a few key characters/events felt really contrived. I didn't hate the game but I don't think you're missing out on a lot.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I honestly loved the way the noise mechanic of Alien: Isolation was set up, where the danger wasn't even that Joe wandering around a hallway. It was the fact that if you got his attention and he started chasing you around like a fool, he was going to alert the Alien and then you were *really* in trouble

dregan
Jan 16, 2005

I could transport you all into space if I wanted.
My favourite memory of A:I was sneaking around a big room - possibly medbay? It's been a long time - trying to avoid some other human enemies. I had the revolver and not a lot of bullets, so was trying to avoid a firefight. Being poo poo at games, I'm soon hunkered down behind a crate and exchanging fire with the remaining bad guys, when I hear screams; the xenomorph has heard the noise and come to play. It starts dispatching them and I take the opportunity to leg it for the door, low on health and lower on bullets, when the fucker crashes through a vent just behind me. I get through the doorway, spin round to see the xeno barrelling down on me and empty the revolver into it to no effect. The door swishes shut barely in time, and I hear it screaming in frustration on the other side.

Just as I'm collecting my breath, a calm voice says "let me help you" and my vision swings round just in time to see a Working Joe's fist crash into my face, taking the last of my health and giving me fifty heart attacks at the same time. Thanks, A:I.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

GMG has Dead By Daylight for 67% off, so I picked it up to play with some friends. The only DBD thread I could find was closed because the OP "I don't like this game or this thread so I'm closing it." Are there any decent guides on filling out the skill trees, how the different killers / survivors play, etc.?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

CharlestonJew posted:

it's an interesting (and most likely accurate) theory but he's literally perpetuating all this by making dozens of "theory" videos on his channel

oh yeah, like they have enough brains to understand that but it makes money i guess.

DrSnakeLaser
Sep 6, 2011

Not sure if it's been mentioned but everyone's favourite non-vatican-approved game FAITH has a sequel planned with a demo available.

https://airdorf.itch.io/faith2

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

the original was pretty cool so i'm looking forward to that

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Beef Hardcheese posted:

GMG has Dead By Daylight for 67% off, so I picked it up to play with some friends. The only DBD thread I could find was closed because the OP "I don't like this game or this thread so I'm closing it." Are there any decent guides on filling out the skill trees, how the different killers / survivors play, etc.?

Hello it's me the resident person who knows a lot about the game and wants to like it but can't anymore with these devs.

Sprint Burst or Lithe your choice of flavor, Dead Hard, Decisive Strike, Self-Care, maybe sub in Unbreakable sometimes. There, you've now got the ultimate get out of jail free setup that like 99% of survivors use because it's broke as a joke.

Killers have some extremely common ones too, Barbecue & Chili, Ruin, Nurse's Calling, Enduring, Bamboozle and there's some gimmick builds like gen stopper, Ruin, Overcharge, Unnerving Presence, Distressing all usually on the Doctor.

The pretty much indisputable best killers are #1 Nurse because she's the only killer who can straight up say no to survivors pallet looping poo poo, #2 Huntress because she's the closest to that same quality but not quite there always and #3 Hillbilly because he's so hyper mobile with the chainsaw sprint and map pressure is really important. Doctor gets the honorable mention for also being good and throwing stealth out the window, Michael Myers is fun with stuff like Monitor & Abuse gimmick builds but not the best, same for Clown. Otherwise a bunch of the killers are in poor shape (Trapper, Wraith, Hag, Pig, Leatherface, Freddy) because BHVR (The Devs) are stupidly biased because most of their twitch/online personalities are ~survivor mains~, so killers have been nerfed before purely from pubbie and strimmer outcry. The best running example will always be Freddy, who released just okay, he had an entirely new gimmick so instead of taking even a day and maybe learning what he does, people went apeshit crazy, mass rated the DLC bad, screamed at BHVR and lo and behold in less than two weeks Freddy was nerfed from "Okay" to "The worst killer in the game" where he STILL resides today.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jul 30, 2018

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

I'm surprised they haven't ruined Doctor too, since he does something fairly unique and that is forbidden.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

I think they're actually scared to break Doc again, pre-rework he was one of the weakest killers by far, then he got his do-over and has been high tier since. Most likely they know they'd probably get a ton of hell for giving a bad character a remake and then dumpstering them again right after, like oh cool so when's Doc 3.0 coming then guys?

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

Quicksilver6 posted:

Scary is subjective but I was pretty terrified everytime I had to fight anything in RE7 Madhouse difficulty because one mistake would send me all the way back to previous save point. At times it was frustating but I think fear of your character dying works suprisingly well in a horror game.

By the way, I remembered I bought Alien: Isolation a few years ago but never played it more than couple hours. Would you guys say the core gameplay is similar to RE7? I've been looking for a similar experience after finishing it. Also I read the upper difficulties are kind of bullshit because the Alien is tethered to you? Is normal difficulty the way to go?

WaltherFeng fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Jul 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've been playing DBD with my friends and so far it doesn't seem too bad. Killers seem decently powerful and can expect to get a kill, what really irks me is the games where you can load in next to a nurse, get hosed over and then if the killer wants to be a dick they can literally just stare at you until you die.

I don't like BBQ as a perk, it entirely ruins any form of stealth. Freddy is a wanker but purely because I can never hide from him, by the time i hear the music he's on me, i get that he's apparently the weakest hero but hes really unfun to play against. Every Freddy player i've played against just camps the hook so I never bother trying to rescue someone from him, instead i just gen rush. I like the trapper and hag changes.

Looking at it, sprint burst is now pretty poo poo and you'd be better off levelling up either claudette to get the self care perk (at levels 35/40/45 ((i think)) you can buy a special, teachable version of unique character perks to put on other characters). Self care is pretty awesome for when your team are either useless or cowards. Failing that, Laurie's decisive strike is borderline OP and dead hard is basically a free dodge while you look for another pallet to loop around. Aside from that, most survivors will eventually play the same.

Killers, I really like the nurse (she's the hardest, though), the huntress (i used the throwing axes a lot in COD and they click for me) and the trapper. Billy is meant to be really good because he can sprint between every generator ridiculously fast, but the trapper can get a lot of map control by setting up a lot of traps in between doorways/behind windows and then chasing people into them. Last night I had survivors basically conga line into traps because there was two main entrances to a hook and i'd trapped the poo poo out of one and was down the hallway closest to the other, so two survivors got trapped trying to get to their friend.

Yardbomb is currently wrong on the survivor favour as the latest patch is all based on loving over survivors being strong.