Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Love to dismiss everyone I disagree with as a fanboy.

Can’t possibly be that I am wrong. It’s everyone else who is wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Excuse me it's actually fanboi. Pronounced like Framboise, I assume

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

immolationsex posted:

I need to know this is real and I'm not crazy. Does anyone else find that Mike Duncan has just the slightest habit of inappropriately emphasizing random words in his script, and enunciating his words much too carefully, like a person who learned human speech from a manual? I can't help getting the impression that he doesn't have any clue what good narration actually entails, and is just mashing the emphasis buttons as hard as he can. When you notice it, it becomes intolerable and I had to drop the podcast.

I dunno. Maybe I just have misophonia or something. Carlin and Bolelli have their weaknesses but at least stilted diction isn't one of them.

I'd say Duncan speaks a lot more normally than Carlin who talks like a cartoon.

Duncan does have a bit of a robotic delivery that seems a bit monotonous. I wouldn't say he lands his emphasis is in the wrong spot, but it does seem kinda forced. It's much better now than in his early stuff where his delivery would put friends of mine to sleep.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

glynnenstein posted:

Duncan does have a bit of a robotic delivery that seems a bit monotonous. I wouldn't say he lands his emphasis is in the wrong spot, but it does seem kinda forced. It's much better now than in his early stuff where his delivery would put friends of mine to sleep.

For me that's Robin Pierson, of the History of Byzantium. It's like a lullaby, but about people getting their eyes gouged out.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

glynnenstein posted:

I'd say Duncan speaks a lot more normally than Carlin who talks like a cartoon.

Carlin talks like a man who is desperately stalling while he is trying to think of what comes next.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Carlin talks like a man who is desperately stalling while he is trying to think of what comes next.

Which is surprising since the answer uniformly seems to be "boxing"

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I over analyze the way hosts talk when I marathon episodes. Listening to one person talk for hours really highlights little ticks that you don’t notice when you space episodes out.

Like right now I have been poring through the back catalog for In Sight, and I know I need to take a break when the American host starts driving me up a wall. She does I thing I can’t stop noticing where she does a half-sigh in the middle of a sentence. Like she will finish a word and let all the air out of her lungs and then continue her thought.

I stop listening for a few days and I don’t notice it when I pick it up again.

Chazani
Feb 19, 2013

immolationsex posted:

I need to know this is real and I'm not crazy. Does anyone else find that Mike Duncan has just the slightest habit of inappropriately emphasizing random words in his script, and enunciating his words much too carefully, like a person who learned human speech from a manual? I can't help getting the impression that he doesn't have any clue what good narration actually entails, and is just mashing the emphasis buttons as hard as he can. When you notice it, it becomes intolerable and I had to drop the podcast.

I dunno. Maybe I just have misophonia or something. Carlin and Bolelli have their weaknesses but at least stilted diction isn't one of them.

I couldn't finish History of Rome because of his narration, occasional smacks and the breathing sounds. Admittedly, I do have ADHD and all those little annoyances made me lose focus on the content, on which there is no fault.

I didn't notice any of those things before someone mentioned them in this thread.

GoingPostal
Jun 1, 2015

I love Derek Smart
U love Derek Smart
If we didn't love Derek Smart, we'd be lame
When I was listening to Revolutions and then went back to check out Rome, something about how Duncan talked struck me as off too. It sounded to me like he had a cough drop or something in his mouth, and he was trying to talk around it.

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

immolationsex posted:

drat that’s a good honeypot

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
At least Mike doesn't say badass too much.

Looking at you Our Fake History. I'm just kidding though it doesn't really bother me that much.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

The noise gating on Mike Duncan's earlier stuff is what makes it unlistenable for me. I think he somehow either got better at it by around Revolution #3, or it was just microphone upgrades that improved the quality. I would think the noise gating contributes to highlighting any extraneous sounds as well.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I remember a while back when Mike Duncan did the Bolivar stuff people were asking how he'll handle the Mexican War of Independence. He said he'll talk about it for a little bit as a backstory to the Mexican Revolution. Well anyway...
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1026921355999100929
https://twitter.com/mikeduncan/status/1026922585940996096

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Sweet. I still have to listen to his series on the Commune. I wonder if he visited Porifirio Diaz's grave, which is found in the cemetery at Montparnasse.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I'm sure he'll dominate 9.3 but I'm vaguely disappointed we don't get multiple episodes of "hey guys Santa Anna's back again and loving everything up" out of this.

Cockblocktopus fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Aug 8, 2018

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I'm super excited for this. Basically the ONLY background I have for any of this is the wacky career of ol Maximilian.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I really want to get into History of Rome, but... does Duncan ever get better at podcasting? I'm like 5 episodes in, and it sounds like a guy reading his high school history essay directly off the page.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

I really want to get into History of Rome, but... does Duncan ever get better at podcasting? I'm like 5 episodes in, and it sounds like a guy reading his high school history essay directly off the page.

Yes . Much better.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

euphronius posted:

Yes . Much better.

Oh thank goodness.

From what I'm hearing, British History Podcast doesn't though?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

COOL CORN posted:

He absolutely gets better; one of the more charming aspects of the History of Rome, IMHO, is that it's not just informative about Rome but also it's a good illustration of 'growth as a podcaster,' to the point where he's among my favorites by the end. The thing about History of Rome being forever ago that we sometimes forget is that it started out in the relatively early days of podcasting; no one was particularly good at it, at the time.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've gone back and listened to that ancient first episode of "The History of Rome" more than once and what I always notice is that, despite the rough delivery, Duncan still produces, in the very first episode, one of his signature memorable quotes by saying that "the Romans were swordsmen who took oaths seriously, not priests who took swordplay seriously". Unlike some podcasts it really is there right at the start.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jack B Nimble posted:

I've gone back and listened to that ancient first episode of "The History of Rome" more than once and what I always notice is that, despite the rough delivery, Duncan still produces, in the very first episode, one of his signature memorable quotes by saying that "the Romans were swordsmen who took oaths seriously, not priests who took swordplay seriously". Unlike some podcasts it really is there right at the start.

Isn’t that at the end of the 3rd episode when he’s talking about how Numa Pompilius set the religious groundwork for all the martial leaders who followed him?

Either way, yeah he does a great job of condensing the importance of events into little nuggets. Getting through the early days of the Republic right now is kind of a slog, but the episodes are short enough that I don’t mind.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Be warned, because it’s not really until episode 50 or so that it really gets to a modern standard

hiddenmovement
Sep 29, 2011

"Most mornings I'll apologise in advance to my wife."
Hi, it's me, the other person that finds Mike's speaking voice to be awfully stilted. But I find Karina Longworth's delivery a little unnatural sometimes too, and she generally has an excellent speaking voice.

I think it comes down to what your mind latches on to in other peoples speech patterns. I barely notice when presenters are breathy as hell, but it drives other people mad. I find Mike's delivery bothers me to the point where I didn't really enjoy his work at all.

On that subject:

http://www.slate.com/articles/slate_plus/watergate.html

I really enjoyed this podcast, but he speaks awfully fast, I think some people would find it intolerable.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He reads from a script and is not a radio professional but his content is gold.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I thought the Watergate one was pretty good. Didn't notice him speaking quickly. I like that there were lots of audio clips and interviews so it wasn't just the one guy speaking the entire time.

I'm listening to Tides of History right now and really struggling. I like the subject matter. But the production and presentation is really grating. Things feel dumbed down and basic points are repeated too frequently. Whats worse is the god damned music. This thumping orchestral music that accompanies so many lovely diy youtube videos, trying to generate hype out of nothing. And the music will play during the most random times, like while discussing taxation or some poo poo. If you want to keep people engaged, don't play dumb music-- work on your presentation. The material is inherently interesting but I don't know if I can continue. I've been bouncing around, and listened to episode 2 only yesterday. I don't know how many times he said that bigger armies cost more and require more taxation. And I normally like it when podcasters go into "Imagine if you..." scenarios. But not "imagine if you got taxed more by your lord-- you'd hate it!". Yeah, no poo poo.

Well sorry for the rant. Its actually a decent podcast I think it just gets on my nerves.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
It's been a while since I heard "Tides of History" but I thiiink the music becomes less common and or prominent? Can anyone with a better memory confirm? As evidenced by me compressing three episodes of "The History of Rome" I don't have a perfect knowledge of podcasts from years past but I recall the music being worst in the beginning.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Slight aside - what's the best podcast app on iOS? I'm using Overcast now, which is... fine. Just a little clunky.

edit-- Nevermind, Overcast has a web app which syncs with the phone app. Nice!

Count Thrashula fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Aug 15, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Jack B Nimble posted:

It's been a while since I heard "Tides of History" but I thiiink the music becomes less common and or prominent? Can anyone with a better memory confirm? As evidenced by me compressing three episodes of "The History of Rome" I don't have a perfect knowledge of podcasts from years past but I recall the music being worst in the beginning.

I bounced around, but yeah it was far worse in ep 2 than in ep 20-something. But I noticed it in the later episodes first, so going to an episode where it was even worse drove me crazy. Maybe the very recent episodes are better.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

I've only listened to the Justinian and Hundred Year's War episodes of Tides of History but I remember the background audio being a lot less distracting for the HYW episodes.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

Oh thank goodness.

history of england is great if you’re in the market for a british history podcast

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Mike Duncan that's not how you pronounce those Spanish names :mad:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

buglord posted:

Mike Duncan that's not how you pronounce those Spanish names :mad:

Oh dear, and just when his French was actually improving. Not yet good, but improving. Spanish has got way easier phonetics. I'll find out what he's saying once the whole series is up.

ACH-138
Apr 24, 2008

COOL CORN posted:

Oh thank goodness.

I liked his podcasts for a while but then he smugly condescended to me on twitter so I think he's a colossal douche.

Objective criticism is that his podcast just moves too slowly with too much time in between episodes for how little is being covered in any one episode.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Gwad ah loop.

I'm psyched to get into the actual revolution; I'm an ignorant American and didn't know that 1) the Mexican revolution happened in the 20th century and 2) Pancho Villa isn't just a bandit.

It's weird seeing the war for independence get compressed into one episode, I can almost discern what the narrative would have looked like if given the same treatment as South America, with the dramatic turns, defeats, and victories.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are Harry's shavers good? I'm currently on DSC. I don't want to disappoint Mike Duncan by not taking up his free trial offer :ohdear:

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

They're fine, but there's no need to buy them through the promo. They're just normal razors at the department store but half the price of other razors.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

buglord posted:

Are Harry's shavers good? I'm currently on DSC. I don't want to disappoint Mike Duncan by not taking up his free trial offer :ohdear:

I use Harry's and they're great.

edit-- Also yeah you can buy Harry's at Target et al now.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

buglord posted:

I like them a lot, they are good razors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

I wasn't surprised by very disappointed to find out they can't be ordered in France, they're stupid expensive here. Makes you wonder what he's going to do in the meantime.