Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Okan170 posted:

Found the archived snapshots of the forums from 9/11:
http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

I miss the old layout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://twitter.com/Freeyourmindkid/status/1022825111995469824

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
The Thinking Sideways podcast is ending. :(

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

Aesop Poprock posted:

Well yeah but he’s been depressed since the 70s and was pretty open about it. I’m not an expert on his disease so don’t know if it gestates that long though tbh

I've read there's a link between the mental stress from depression and dementia. All four of my grandparents died at points where they couldn't recognize their kids anymore. My dad's cancer came back a couple months from retirement and dementia followed within two years. This is all anecdotal but i believe the link is real. A

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Apraxin posted:

But if you want to though, it's here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLW0jKKRXMo

Also a documentary on calls from inside the towers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=se38cIQSoIg

It's just as awful as I remembered, why did I click that...

Thanks for the documentary though!

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

bean_shadow posted:

The Murder of Brian Wells

Wells was the pizza delivery man who had a bomb locked around his neck, which detonated after he robbed a bank. Netflix has an interesting documentary about the whole convoluted story called Evil Genius. It's a wild ride.

I remember that! It was big news since it was all of an hour or two away from where I live and was real :tinfoil: at the time.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

That was an amazing documentary. Netflix has really been bringing it's A game for crime docs.

JARATE CURES SPIES
Mar 25, 2013

Rondette posted:

The Thinking Sideways podcast is ending. :(

Aw no, did they announce this on a recent episode? I admit I haven't listened in a while but it was one of my first podcasts and I have such fond feelings for it. Why are they ending?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Kitfox88 posted:

The reaction when the second plane hits and they realize it was deliberate and not an accident and start screaming brings back bad memories. I dunno if the memory and feeling is ever gonna be one I forget.
I was watching Challenger live and the WTC live. I still remember the cold shock in both cases, the "this can't possibly be happening". God, that moment when the second plane hit and we all knew this was intentional.

Dirty Deeds Thunderchief
Dec 12, 2006

YES CURES SINNERS posted:

Aw no, did they announce this on a recent episode? I admit I haven't listened in a while but it was one of my first podcasts and I have such fond feelings for it. Why are they ending?

Awwww... I also haven't listened in a while because I've been a bit off podcasts for the moment. I just popped in to listen to their latest (and last) episode and it sounds like Steve is moving to southeast Asia and they just don't think it's feasible to continue the podcast after that. They have some content they're going to keep releasing for a little while.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was watching Challenger live and the WTC live. I still remember the cold shock in both cases, the "this can't possibly be happening". God, that moment when the second plane hit and we all knew this was intentional.

I saw and heard the Challenger blow up. My family and neighbors were all watching it in our backyard. I barely remember it, but I seem to recall it sounding like thunder.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
It's a good time for Thinking Sideways to call it. They have a massive backlog of good episodes and it seems like they have already tapped every interesting case there is. The last few haven't been very captivating. Hopefully some of them can move on to other podcasts.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Ariong posted:

Just found this 9/11 footage I’d never seen before. It’s a recording made by a woman living on the 32nd floor of a nearby building. She and her friend debate whether or not the things visibly falling from the burning tower are people. Don’t click this if you don’t want to see 9/11 happen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksYBQZ_jqFY

The sudden shift from fear to panic is harrowing. “What do we do?”

This is...rough, JFC.

From a few pages back, but the Air crash Investigation/Mayday episode about 9/11 is...harrowing. It's largely based on the experiences of the flight attendants and how they tried to explain to the ground what was going on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRNPyNuRa4s

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bean_shadow posted:

The Murder of Brian Wells

Wells was the pizza delivery man who had a bomb locked around his neck, which detonated after he robbed a bank. Netflix has an interesting documentary about the whole convoluted story called Evil Genius. It's a wild ride.

Just watched the netflix documentary on this, Evil Genius, and...jesus. What a weird case.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Evil Genius is great because, like they point out in the documentary, most people just remember the bomb going off and then some vague memory of hearing that the victim was in on it. Finding out about the whole crazy web of wannabe Moriartys stabbing each other in the back was really something (and really sad, if they're right about Wells being innocent)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I doubt we'll ever know if he was in on it in any way. I just think it's a stupid law that says you can't be tried for murder if they were part of the conspiracy. How the gently caress is that a thing?

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Solice Kirsk posted:

I doubt we'll ever know if he was in on it in any way. I just think it's a stupid law that says you can't be tried for murder if they were part of the conspiracy. How the gently caress is that a thing?

It’s... not? :confused:

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Okan170 posted:

Found the archived snapshots of the forums from 9/11:
http://www.truegamer.net/SA_911/911%20SATHREAD/

Took one page for them to go, "Bin Laden". drat, Past SA had its finger on the pulse.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

I've just started listening to podcasts, so I'm way behind the times; tried Sword and Scale based on ancient recommendations in this thread, pretty sure Mike Boudet is working up to earning an episode of his own podcast. LPOTL wasn't my thing, but the ones I've appreciated so far (relevant to this thread) are: Criminal, Generation Why, In The Dark, Lore, Aftereffect, Strangers, The Trouble, and Snap Judgment. Whoever suggested the Playing God episode of Radiolab (https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/playing-god/), that was absolutely spot on. Listened to it tonight and it was chilling, not just because of the events, but because it asks you to make the same decisions when there are no right answers and live with them.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Took one page for them to go, "Bin Laden". drat, Past SA had its finger on the pulse.

I mean at that point Bin Laden had (semi) successfully bombed the WTC once before, and Al Qaeda had successfully bombed the USS Cole so it wasn't completely out there that AQ would have been responsible for such a horrendous attack.

But the "WATCH BUSH START A WAR" quote was also extremely prescient. Really that thread is an interesting snapshot to what I remember hearing back during the initial attacks.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RNG posted:

I've just started listening to podcasts, so I'm way behind the times; tried Sword and Scale based on ancient recommendations in this thread, pretty sure Mike Boudet is working up to earning an episode of his own podcast. LPOTL wasn't my thing, but the ones I've appreciated so far (relevant to this thread) are: Criminal, Generation Why, In The Dark, Lore, Aftereffect, Strangers, The Trouble, and Snap Judgment. Whoever suggested the Playing God episode of Radiolab (https://www.wnycstudios.org/story/playing-god/), that was absolutely spot on. Listened to it tonight and it was chilling, not just because of the events, but because it asks you to make the same decisions when there are no right answers and live with them.

Sword and Scale is the ultimate in trashy crime podcasting, it feels so skeezy to listen to. Try Casefile: http://casefilepodcast.com/ as it's a lot more respectful and interesting, imo.

I haven't heard of In the Dark, Aftereffect, etc - thanks for the recs!

And seconding Lore for anyone and everyone, it's fantastic. :D

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

StrixNebulosa posted:

Sword and Scale is the ultimate in trashy crime podcasting, it feels so skeezy to listen to. Try Casefile: http://casefilepodcast.com/ as it's a lot more respectful and interesting, imo.

You should also check out the podcast called Dirty John. It's a trip.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

I really wanna listen to Casefile (and a bunch of others) but since I have to download them to listen to later I can't use Stitcher or other apps. Will try to find a workaround, but thanks!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

RNG posted:

I really wanna listen to Casefile (and a bunch of others) but since I have to download them to listen to later I can't use Stitcher or other apps. Will try to find a workaround, but thanks!

What do you mean you can only download them? Like you can't stream on your phone or something and need to be on wifi?

If so try dogcatcher, it has a download X new eps only when on wifi option.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

Plinkey posted:

What do you mean you can only download them? Like you can't stream on your phone or something and need to be on wifi?

If so try dogcatcher, it has a download X new eps only when on wifi option.

I save and download them, if possible, have to use my phone for work.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

RNG posted:

"Click on the audioboom link and type .mp3 on the end of it"

I googled and you CAN download Casefile episodes!

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

StrixNebulosa posted:

"Click on the audioboom link and type .mp3 on the end of it"

I googled and you CAN download Casefile episodes!

Nice, thank you, seriously, really wanted to listen to those.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Hell, I had that one figured out while watching the news on the TV in my school cafeteria. I was 14. (I think I'd read some magazine article in Reader's Digest about him at some point?)

With regards to podcasts, I'd recommend Reply Ally's 4 part episode "One the Inside". It's almost like a mini-Serial. https://www.gimletmedia.com/reply-all/64-on-the-inside#episode-player

quote:

For years, Paul Modrowski has been writing a blog from inside a maximum security prison. Only thing is, he was arrested when he was 18 and has never seen the internet. Sruthi Pinnamaneni reaches out to him with one small question that alters the course of her next year.

There's a few other crime related episodes but they're mostly about internet scams of various sorts. (fascinating, but not quite the theme of this thread)

There's also Futility Closet which does "forgotten stories from the pages of history" including a lot of murders and disappeared people and that sort of thing. The production values aren't quite as high on this one as it's just made by two people at their house, but Greg Ross puts a HUGE amount of research and lists all his sources. https://www.futilitycloset.com/podcast/

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Don Gato posted:

But the "WATCH BUSH START A WAR" quote was also extremely prescient. Really that thread is an interesting snapshot to what I remember hearing back during the initial attacks.

Was it that far fetched to predict Bush starting a war? Iraq tried to kill his daddy. He would have found some way to invade, no matter if the reason was a lie or not. And there was the oil, of course. Shoot and ask questions later.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Someone Knows Something is sort of hit-or-miss with each season but the season 4 is peak unnerving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eF4qM_VgJ4

It builds upon this short film, which begins with an incredibly :nms:, triggering and traumatic 911 call.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N1RMJuKvBk

MisterFister
Jul 6, 2003

Sticking it to THE MAN, assuming THE MAN is an innocent casual dining restaurant.

bean_shadow posted:

Was it that far fetched to predict Bush starting a war? Iraq tried to kill his daddy. He would have found some way to invade, no matter if the reason was a lie or not. And there was the oil, of course. Shoot and ask questions later.

No, it was widely known the neocons were looking for an excuse to go back into Iraq long before 911

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
There’s the slight temptation to be like “well if 9/11 hadn’t happened then Bush Junior would be remembered mostly for No Child Left Behind” but yeah I’m sure something would have happened that triggered a jingoistic foreign adventure, though it would have been a smaller one than the two-country party we ended up getting.

avshalemon
Jun 28, 2018

my husband ariel sharon was against invading iraq because it would accomplish nothing but plunging the region into an unmanageable tyre fire! :eng101:

he wanted to invade iran instead :negative:

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Dissapointed Owl posted:

And 17 pages to start arguing about posting images from a comic book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_David_Coughlin

quote:

On August 8, Kodikian wrote in his journal:

I killed & burried [sic] my best friend today. Dave had been in pain all night. At around 5 or 6, he turned to me and begged that I put my knife through his chest. I did, and a second time when he wouldn't die.

[...]

Kodikian's attorney, Gary Mitchell, described the killing as an act of kindness. He further stated that it was part of a death pact between the friends and Kodikian intended to kill himself too, but was too weak to do so. Eddy County sheriff Michael A. Click stated that Kodikian was "moderately to severely dehydrated", and was not close to dying when Mattson found him.[4] Authorities further noted that Kodikian had buried Coughlin's body under rocks, some weighing more than 70 pounds (32 kg).[2] The weight of the rocks and the completion of the task seemed remarkable for someone seriously dehydrated.[2][4] The autopsy on Coughlin revealed that while he was dehydrated, it did not appear to be fatal.[2][4]

:catstare:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

this was the inspiration for Gerry, a really great film!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The thing that I never understood and still really have no theory on about the Brian Wells case, even after watching the documentary, is why they decided to give wells these convoluted instructions that would've made it ten times harder for him to get back to them before the bomb went off. I mean, the two basic scenarios are:

1. Wells was at least partially in on the scheme, so the instructions were meant as a way to throw off investigators and make it seem like he was just an innocent victim. The problem with that is Wells appears to have actually followed the instructions at least up to the point where he was confronted by police, so it seems that if the instructions were bullshit, nobody told Wells that.

2. Wells was 100% innocent, so the instructions were meant to get him to drop the money at a drop-off point where they could come along later take it without worrying about the cops. The problem with that is the instructions kept Wells close to the bank, basically doing laps right around where cops were converging to find him. So he was almost immediately caught and had zero chance of making it back to the conspirators with the cash. When you look at what the instructions has Wells doing, and the time he had to do it, you have to conclude that he was never meant to make it back with the money.

So the only idea I can think of that makes any sense is that Marjorie just decided to hatch this plan out of boredom/curiosity and was basically just doing it for fun because she's a psychopath. She never had any intention of getting any money out of it and just wanted to enjoy the show.

Basebf555 has a new favorite as of 17:39 on Jul 30, 2018

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
I haven't seen the documentary, but the Casefile episode on the Wells bombing heavily suggests that Marjorie wanted revenge on the bank, and every other element of the plan was secondary to that.

http://casefilepodcast.com/case-81-brian-wells/

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Basebf555 posted:

So the only idea I can think of that makes any sense is that Marjorie just decided to hatch this plan out of boredom/curiosity and was basically just doing it for fun because she's a psychopath. She never had any intention of getting any money out of it and just wanted to enjoy the show.
Well, you know, some women aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some women just want to watch the world burn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Scarodactyl posted:

Well, you know, some women aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some women just want to watch the world burn.

And if they come with a psycho not-boyfriend who's perfectly willing to stick a corpse into a freezer before they figure out how to dispose of it, WELP.