Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I didn't realize at first how good leghold trap is until I applied it to some cave boss that was pushing my poo poo in and dominated the rest of the fight

Does it ever not hit or is it really that reliable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Met some guy at a bar that sounded like an rear end in a top hat. So obleric beat the poo poo out of him.

Got a cutsceen completing a quest! :toot: games awesome.

Also still get the tonal whiplash from Tressa defeating capitalism through the power of friendship. Then primrose goes to a whorehouse.

Bombadilillo fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 29, 2018

XainZero
Feb 16, 2011

Everything Burrito posted:

I didn't realize at first how good leghold trap is until I applied it to some cave boss that was pushing my poo poo in and dominated the rest of the fight

Does it ever not hit or is it really that reliable?

Debuffs from skills never miss. They're just that good.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
holy poo poo :psyduck:

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
They still move first after being broken so you can't keep them permanently locked down, but yeah, it is very good.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As has been said, with Leghold Trap stacked on an enemy, after their post-break turns you'll have eight turns to heal, buff, and break them again. It gives you a lot of leeway for fights normally out of your league and one of like two reasons to use the Hunter job at all (the other being to easily break enemies weak to bows). At least those two reasons are very good reasons to use Hunter.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Poison+Leg trap is a staple in boss fights. Poison especially lets you passively set up big turns without wasting damage.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

I'm playing Primrose's chapter 4 and it is such a fuckin snoozefest, which is a shame considering the first three chapters were alright.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Yeah, C4 Primrose was a disappointment for me as well. (Spoilers for End of Chapter 4) Even for a jRPG, that boss was way too much of a ham, and by the time he was killed I was less happy that Primrose finally got her revenge and more thankful that he'd finally shut the hell up. Way to ruin any potential that finale would've had after Chapter 3 ended with a great lead-up to C4.

At least the other Chapter 4's I've done so far (Alfyn, Ophelia, and H'aanit) have been pretty good. Though for Alfyn (C4 spoilers obv.) his final boss is kinda random and doesn't really fit his story like the others, but then again there really weren't better alternatives considering how his story developed.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

redreader posted:

I haven't really been following this thread: Can someone tell me if I'm loving something up? So I'm doing the huntress intro quest and have 4-5 people in my party, and I have cleric/merchant/scholar/hunter currently.

I'm buying skills when I can, but when I get into some fights I build up one or two of those points, spend them to hit/etc 3 times, and hit/magic the enemies weaknesses. If I know it's a powerful enemy I build the max # of points. But, sometimes the battles just take forever. Is the game just grindy?

Also I have the scholar 'fewer battles' ability, should I use it or does it mess with my levelling?

Spend BP after you guard break a target, not before (unless you need to guard break to interrupt a big attack coming up).

XainZero posted:

Debuffs from skills never miss. They're just that good.

It's so very welcome and wonderful when an RPG says "here are some debuffs and status effects, and they actually work against bosses so you have a reason to use them" with the rare occasion of a boss being immune to poisonand a lot of bosses are immune to sleep but sleep isn't exactly a staple ability. :shrug:

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Your Computer posted:

Battles shouldn't feel like a slog if you're properly utilizing the break and boost systems, although it might take a couple of attempts to find out what the weaknesses of a mob is.

This wasn't true for me either early on. It was probably just the random path I took, but when I was getting my fourth or fifth character I ended up going through a couple regions where I just didn't have the weapons or skills to break the enemies very easily. No subjobs, so I'd only have one or two of the weaknesses for each enemy, and if they shared a weakness at all I might not have an AoE move to hit them both. It would take like 2 or 3 turns to break them and then ok I was able to kill them but the other enemy is weak to daggers and I had to blow Therion's turn to kill the broken guy, and ugh.

It went away pretty quickly, but I definitely remember some of the Ch1 regions being really rough.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Trying to start Primrose’s chapter 2, but when I enter the town the little prompt that usually pops up to start the quest isn’t firing. Is there any thing specific I need to do? I’ve done a couple other chapter 2s so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

panascope posted:

Trying to start Primrose’s chapter 2, but when I enter the town the little prompt that usually pops up to start the quest isn’t firing. Is there any thing specific I need to do? I’ve done a couple other chapter 2s so I’m not sure what’s wrong.

Go to the tavern and Hear a Tale.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

panascope posted:

It should prompt when you first enter the town. Otherwise yeah tavern keeper is how to start/switch stories(if 2 people have a story in same town)

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
Another reason to use Hunter is to get more mileage out of the bajillion spear stab move warriors have. Take aim + spear stab and you can break poo poo that's weak to spear in a turn.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
I like how much :effort: H'aanit puts into talking to Alaic before deciding that the only conceivable option is to maul him within inches of his life.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Side conversation with Alf in primrose chp2 :stare:

I;m thinking about thos beans

But beans is a whorehouse.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Path actions:

Challenge > Provoke
Purchase < Steal
Inquire < Scrutinize
Guide < Allure

This is also included since my main party was Tressa/Cyrus/Therion/Primrose. The last three leveled up so much that their chance of success was always near 100.

Between Olberic and H’aanit, Olberic is the clear winner since you don’t have to rely on replenishing pets when chain challenging people.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
yeah it seems like every time I have a pretty good set of useful critters I blow half of them on a provoke fight to get into a house

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Yeah feel free to correct me if theres something insanely badass you can do with H'aanit pets at level 60+, because I really didn't bother much with it, but I feel like the pet mechanic is pretty bad in the late game and a chore even when it's relevant

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
the thing about h'annit's pets is that they're really useful at the beginning of the game as a way to do some amazing stuff early but they get less useful as time goes on, p. much exactly the opposite of olberic's defend ability.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Trying to catch useful things with H'aanit gets annoying. Run-of-the-mill monsters can have less than 100 HP left, be broken, and fully boosted it only has a 53% chance, and if you don't get it, when its shields come back you can't break it again without killing it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The problem with using beasts late game is that's not a runelord powered attack instead

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
By the time I got to late game with Haanit I just used linde to break enemies then dropped large soul stones on them. Anything else is a waste of time

Likewise with guide/allure. If I wasn’t doing a side quest there is no reason to bother

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Kashuno posted:

By the time I got to late game with Haanit I just used linde to break enemies then dropped large soul stones on them. Anything else is a waste of time

Likewise with guide/allure. If I wasn’t doing a side quest there is no reason to bother

Yeah. I think I have used guide/allure NPCs in battle less than 10 times

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Kashuno posted:

High power NPCs you summon with allure can do thousands of damage, provide big AOE heals/buffs, and other things. They're definitely handy to have in hard fights even if you can't control when they use what ability.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Also guided/allured npcs occasionally take hits instead of the summoner.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
as I got later, it was better to just use the turn I would summoning them to do literally anything else. Ophilia as summoner could better spend her time dropping 3-5k damage + shield breaks and Primrose as Starseer can be either giving herself a bp boost or casting party buffs. It’s just hard to justify a turn delay when I have way better things to do with it

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Your Computer posted:

also as far as battle themes in games go, this one's going to be stuck on my brain forever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVxrBTBE4t0

i was so excited when the battle music changed in the higher level areas, wasn't expecting that

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Kashuno posted:

as I got later, it was better to just use the turn I would summoning them to do literally anything else. Ophilia as summoner could better spend her time dropping 3-5k damage + shield breaks and Primrose as Starseer can be either giving herself a bp boost or casting party buffs. It’s just hard to justify a turn delay when I have way better things to do with it

There's a summon in Everhold I think, an usher that gets unlocked after Primrose's chapter 4. Man throws out a party wide defense/magic defense buff and will do so with a 50% chance every turn, so he usually ends up buffing the party with that for 9 turns or so. Which is usually worth the turn cost.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

Natural 20 posted:

There's a summon in Everhold I think, an usher that gets unlocked after Primrose's chapter 4. Man throws out a party wide defense/magic defense buff and will do so with a 50% chance every turn, so he usually ends up buffing the party with that for 9 turns or so. Which is usually worth the turn cost.

The problem with H’aanit/Ophelia/Primrose/Alfyn is that their special power is a resource. So with all of them, they require replenishment. Which means all of them require more upkeep than the Cyrus/Tressa/Olberic/Therion. So when it comes to ever doing grinding, those first four aren’t as useful as the last four.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Ophelia sure got those brooch thugs in harmony.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Does H'aanit require Provoking people in all of her chapters? Because I only finished her Chapter 2 by spamming Soulstones.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Natural 20 posted:

That guy owns. :siren: Spoilers for the final boss fight :siren:
God Bless Movie Theater Guy

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Okay, the reveal of who Tressa's diary belonged to before was actually pretty cool, although I wonder if it will tie into the overarching endgame scenario or if it's just its own thing.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
Weird that Primrose is the only one that doesn't need to use her path action at all in chapter 3.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Okay, the reveal of who Tressa's diary belonged to before was actually pretty cool, although I wonder if it will tie into the overarching endgame scenario or if it's just its own thing.

SPOILERS! It does. Big time.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Does H'aanit require Provoking people in all of her chapters? Because I only finished her Chapter 2 by spamming Soulstones.

Every Chapter yes. With the exception of Chapter 4, thank God!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Ugh, I got Warmaster near death, but couldn't break her in time for her purple attack and got wiped. Going to come back after I kill the rune lord so I don't have to worry about the multiparty attacks it starts using midway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

That guy owns. :siren: Spoilers for the final boss fight :siren:
God Bless Movie Theater Guy

There's an Antique dealer in Victor's Hollow that does the same thing!